Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Notre Dame Football Thread

Default Re: 2012 Notre Dame Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What happens in the middle? Well I guess that is what we will find out between now and the draft. Because rest assured the NFL will get all of this out in the open.
    The hoaxer turns out is gay and so is getting off on the male attention.... But that'll just be the setup everybody sees coming before we throw the mind-f..k twist in at the end...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I agree in a sense. No doubt being gay would drop him from a top 10 pick to maybe not even getting drafted(I am sure a few teams would still take him he is a great player). But I have a problem with his cover story in the worst way. You don't make up storys about cancer and what not and then get more famous because he played great days after his Gma and "GF" died.

I dont follow football at all and really the national championship game was the only game I watched. I have a question for people who do follow the sport and ND. Was Teo NFL material back in 09?? I mean was projected to be as good as he is?
    Teo was good all along, but he really had his "breakout" year this year.

I argued with lots of friends I thought he was top 15-20 material, a lot of friends (non ND fans so less bias I admit) thought he was a 3-5 rounder because of his size.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Until Te'o is interviewed on Oprah, I don't believe it!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dab For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The media is going to be ravenous tomorrow with him. He better be prepared for everything or he's going to crack. He's still a young guy unlike a Lance Armstrong type.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Mood

Well that was my initial reaction, if you wathc him when he is speaking aout her death, he is so calm. Almost like a psychopath.
    Tim Layden ‏@SITimLayden
    I talked 1-1 w/Te'o 11/7 for story not about him. He brought up deaths & cried. Didn't write about it. Old news by then. But he did cry
    Retweeted by David Haugh

I agree something isnt right with the dude. I didnt like him after seeing him interview at the ND basketball game with Dicky V just came off as weird and narcissistic .

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who knew that Lance Armstrong's interview with Oprah would be upstaged tomorrow in the sports world? Just crazy...
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Mood

so Teo found out it was a "hoax" according to the AD tonight at the presser on the 6th and gave us this gem on the 8th

"On Dec. 6, while at an awards show in Orlando, Fla., Te'o had gotten a phone call from a woman claiming to be Kekua and, according to Swarbrick, was "more than suspicious; he was startled and shocked."" From the presser tonight

Brian Hamilton ‏@ChiTribHamilton
    Manti Te'o on 12/8, 2 days after hoaxers call again: "I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer."

dudes got lots of explaining to do

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And yet he kept it going all the way through the national title game.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

So I think that I think he initially got duped, then once he found out was just too embarrassed to come clean. Then it just snowballed and the lies just started piling up.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    So I think that I think he initially got duped, then once he found out was just too embarrassed to come clean. Then it just snowballed and the lies just started piling up.
    I don't see how someone could have been duped for so long. Plus he knows the guy who is behind it all. Their was way too much backstory and info coming from Manti and his family for me to think he was duped.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I don't see how someone could have been duped for so long.
    No offense intended, but I have a couple Mormon friends, and this wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Notre Dame's AD sure seemed adamant that Te'o was a victim. I wonder if him and the school will regret that?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Also, it's tough to see the university coming out of this smelling like roses. Which as a Catholic is why I got so offended by the Indystar article before the championship game about how much all Catholics love Notre Dame and Notre Dame football. Either they are still telling him to hide that he is gay or they were in on the ruse all along. Either way, I am glad that 10 years ago when I first visited their campus I was in a group with the most pompous tour guide of all time who told me "Only a few of you will be "Notre Dame material" even less will have the privilege to get in". Decided that day I didn't want to be a part of the "Domers". Do I think they would encourage Te'o to cover up his sexuality? You bet your *** I do. And I think they still may be doing it.

That was a pompous way for the tour guide to phrase it, but they do need to be honest with the high school students who go there to visit. No need to string people along with false hope. They gotta be up front with people and make sure that visitors know that only a tiny tiny tiny percent of people get admitted.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sollozzo, they had just gotten done showing us a graph of their acceptance rates. Most of us already knew. Plus we were in like 8th grade so who even cared?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Notre Dame's AD sure seemed adamant that Te'o was a victim. I wonder if him and the school will regret that?
    I don't understand the claim that the school had apparently hired a private investigator who had already proven Te'o was innocent? If that was the case why not just come out with it?

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

We'll see what Manti says in his press conference
    "We want Miami"

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

That seemed like such an awful play to me. Swarbrick should have been doing everything possible to distance Notre Dame from this. Instead, he made them one.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    That seemed like such an awful play to me. Swarbrick should have been doing everything possible to distance Notre Dame from this. Instead, he made them one.
    Someone said yesterday on twitter ND wanted to distance themself from Teo. That was the reason they had the PC

Either that reporter is 100% wrong, of ND failed....miserably!

Sollozzo, they had just gotten done showing us a graph of their acceptance rates. Most of us already knew. Plus we were in like 8th grade so who even cared?
    Siderant

Dude, you had a college tour in 8th grade? Man, I was in the wrong middle school. I did not even think of college until like 11th grade. Then again, I traveled every 2 years. That is awesome though!

And I hate arrogant people in general, esp tour guides. At my Univeristy I had the coolest tour guide ever. She even whined about her parking tickets and said she should be allowed to drive the .4 miles to class everyday. Ok the fact she was hot as hell helped!

/siderant

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Someone said yesterday on twitter ND wanted to distance themself from Teo. That was the reason they had the PC

Either that reporter is 100% wrong, of ND failed....miserably!
    I can't see how that could have been their goal in the press conference. I thought Swarbrick completely jumped on the grenade. He should have been running from it.

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Swarbrick also said that Te'o never met Kekua in person. It was an exclusively online relationship. Several meetings were planned, but Kekua "never showed," Swarbrick said. He cited the movie "Catfish" — which tells the story of people who dupe strangers into fake relationships online — as a reference for what happened to Te'o.

That does not jive with this October 2012 story from the South Bend Tribune, where Te'o's father Brian said:
    "They started out as just friends. Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there. But within the last year, they became a couple."

http://www.businessinsider.com/notre...ference-2013-1

"Well, I sat across from him and I was moved by his story and it was heartbreaking and heartwarming and as it turns out totally untrue. But short of asking to see a death certificate, I'm not sure what most people would do differently in that case. But in researching it before I wrote the script, I remember trying to find an obituary for his girlfriend and could not. And couldn't find any record of this car accident. But we asked Manti, could we contact Lennay's family and he said the family would prefer not to be contacted. Could we have some photos of Lennay? He said the family would prefer not to provide those. And so in that instance, and at that moment, you simply think that you have to respect those wishes. But in retrospect, you can see where some of those things simply were not adding up to make sense. Easy to say now. At the time it never enters your mind somebody was involved in that kind of hoax"

http://deadspin.com/5976640/espn-rep...do-differently

Hmm....
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

I can say, possibly without even a shred of hyperbole, this is the weirdest sports story I can ever remember.

-Lance Stephenson

30. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Radio host here in DC this AM said maybe the dad set all this up.

Thoughts?

She even suggested maybe Teo could not say no because it was her dad.

Seems like a stretch, but what is "normal" about this story?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Any chance he falls after that in the late 20's in the draft pick and the Colts get him? Is he a good pass rusher?

Edit: Just saw he is a middle linebacker. Not for us then.
    Last edited by Johanvil; 01-17-2013 at 10:05 AM.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

The AZ Card saying he met this girl is just getting bypassed too quickly. There's a lot more to this than we know, which would explain why ND did the things they did.

I have a hard time believing that ND thinks they can circle the wagons and play semantics so blantantly with so much initial info making it look moronic. There's got to be some details that start clicking the pieces together that we just haven't gotten yet.

I'm not saying that's the case definitely, but this story is just too weird to think everything came out all at once with everyone looking like a fool.

Surely therer are conversation logs and telephone records. You're not on the phone with someone every night for hours at a time, without record. If Te'o showed those, I would be more inclined to believe the hoax angle. Not sure anyone would be willing to put in hours on a phone every night to play this off just in case they got caught. With all the loose ends as of now, it would be hard to imagine that they planned that far in advance and didn't even come up with a town that actually existed. (I've heard the town she was "from" doesn't exist)
    Last edited by Since86; 01-17-2013 at 09:59 AM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post: