Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some cool MSA pics

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Some cool MSA pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The NBA suspended 16 players Saturday for fighting during Friday night's game between the Indiana Pacers and the Sacramento Kings, the largest number ever suspended from one incident.

NBA spokeswoman Teri Washington said it was the league's largest mass-suspension ever.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...ers-kings.html
    Combine that with the brawl and ....THE FIGHT.....from the ABA days and we're one bad assed team.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    I was at the Pacer vs Kings game, that was one heck of a fight. Not as big as that one, but fights happened all the time in the NBA, it wasn't as big of deal as it is now days.

I had a real good view of some of it, Antonio Davis had 2 Kings on the ground beating the tar out of them. A.D. didn't even get suspended cause he wasn't on film.
    I was at the game too. It was one of my first. I remember the next day a national newspaper had a cartoon clip of AD and DD with boxing gloves on, and the entire Kings roster on the ground beat-up. It was AWESOME! I have looked for that picture many many times but cannot find it. Anyone else see this?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I disagree. MSA was not adequate. The food concourse alone was a no-go. You could fit maybe 6-7 people from a food window to the other side of the hall, total. This meant that you couldn't really walk around the concourse to get to other food areas or the bathrooms without fighting through crowds. After seeing Houston and Charlotte (Summit and the Hive, not the new arenas) where they had huge food areas broken off to the side of the concourse and wider walking areas in general I realized just what a craphole MSA was.

And as much as I thought the ticket window area was cool due to the view and angled windows, that space was super small and would be a joke if they tried to fulfill the amount of ticket sales they often do at Conseco before a game.

MSA had solid acoustics for an arena, had a great location and had a coolness factor for having Market St run under it. But everything else sucked.

Well, you did get wait service to your seat with courtside seating (first 6-9 rows or something) that's gone now, replaced with the Best Locker Room I suppose (which is way too small for busy nights).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sorry, MSA was badly undersized. Its a good thing there was never an emergency evacuation.

Everything about the Fieldhouse was a major upgrade.

I also don't get the knock on the Bradley Center, but I primarily go there to see Springsteen and its a great place for that. As for basketball, well its still better than The UC or any hockey arena with its lousy sightlines beyond the baseline.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I always heard that MSA was great for concerts. Never been to a concert there myself so I don't know

billbradley

I've seen a few folks raggin' on the ramps.

I loved the ramps! Everyone screaming, honking and going crazy. Those ramps after wins are some of my favorite Pacers memories.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    I've seen a few folks raggin' on the ramps.

I loved the ramps! Everyone screaming, honking and going crazy. Those ramps after wins are some of my favorite Pacers memories.
    They exit honking from the Virginia St. garage after Fever wins. Really got to get Pacer fans to do the same thing after wins.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    They exit honking from the Virginia St. garage after Fever wins. Really got to get Pacer fans to do the same thing after wins.
    They do. Or at least they have before; it's been a while since I've left a game immediately afterward and also having parked in the garage. But I recall numerous Pacer wins at Conseco with honking cars after the game.

It did seem huge from the outside. When I was a kid and used to go to Disney on Ice and stuff there, I actually thought they had different rooms for basketball and ice skating and such.

I love looking at old pics of MSA. If anyone has any others or knows of other good online collections they are I would love to see them. I was pretty little during the MSA days so my memories of the place is a little hazy. Speaking of hazy, I remember that place getting really smoky after all the fireworks and whatnot.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    You guys are romantisizing the past. The Fieldhouse was an immediate upgrade more so than the RCA to Lucas Oil. The Fieldhouse has less blind spots, less steepness, better concourse, entries and exits are smoother, and a way better courtside feel.

With that said, some of the greatest Pacer moments happened in MSA.
    Thank you! I felt the exact same way about MSA. I loved going to the games but I really disliked the arena. All The ramps and stairs were a major pain and once you reached your level, you had to wade your way through the narrowest concourse I have ever seen. Once you made it inside the auditorium, you had to climb up those ridiculously steep steps to reach your seats. For years they didn't even have hand rails.

I was so incredibly happy the first time I stepped into the Fieldhouse. A new building was way overdo and the Fieldhouse is still considered one of the best arenas in the world. I also think the sight lines are much better at than they were back at MSA. JMO

I loved MSA, I have lots of great memories there, both ABA and NBA, but of course the Fieldhouse is phenomenal... Man I'm getting old, as a youngster I went to the first game ever at MSA, a thrilling OT win against the defending NBA champion Bucks, and I was at the first game at the Fieldhouse... wow, I remember when MSA was being built and the Pacers were telling the fans about how great and modern it was going to be, and now it is a parking lot, etc.. man, I AM old! (but still a Pacers nut)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threein73 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I remember getting scared to death walking up those stairs from the floor. When I was a kid, that was a really steep climb. I was so afraid of falling down.

It was good for what it was, nostalgia. I keep telling myself with the Home Court shop actually IN the Fieldhouse, it could be worse still at MSA, you actually had to leave the building and go under the garage to get there. I'd hate to be the type of person I am with that kind of a climb down there.

On a side note, my dad's company was contracted during the renovations back in 1995, how he'd have to get harnessed to the rafters to do electrical work while being upside down. I couldn't do it.

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

The worst thing about Market Square was the lower level bathrooms...one on each side. If you were trying to hold it after pounding a few cold ones and the game was close with a lot of time outs at the end you had to go during the action because if there was a time out it was 30 deep for about 6 urinals and you would miss more game action waiting in line at the time out. The women's was worse as their line was even deeper and much slower.

One cool thing about Market Square was if you didn't have a ticket you could flash a stub from a previous game at the gate real quick and get through and go to Market Square Gardens and grab a window seat and 4 people only had to spend $40 minimum to drink and watch the game.

My brother used to flirt with the girl at the lower level liquor counter and tipped her well and she would save the end of each bottle used and add it to the measured shot and mix him super strong drinks for normal price.

We also had a couple parking spots in front of the city market that weren't legal spots but we parked there for years and could get there 10 minutes before tip and park right out front and walk right in.

Miss that place. Similar to the RCA Dome, loud place and it had some great memories
    Smothered Chicken!