Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some cool MSA pics

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Some cool MSA pics

Scroll down to the bottom of the page. Most of them appear to be taken in the mid 90's, though a few are clearly from the 80's. Several show the curtain they used to hang.

http://ballparks.phanfare.com/2414480#imageID=38729981

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Some cool MSA pics

Man that place was loud back in the day!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

I always liked the look from the outside. And since the court was basically on level 3 - the building looked really big from the outside. Many people mistaked it for the dome back in the day.

I thnk they changed the seats from orange to blue in '95 so all those pictures are before then.

MSA was certainly louder than the Fieldhouse -

Another thing I liked about MSA was the seats in the lower level between the baselines or the first 10 rows or so of the upper level were great seats. Nothing at the filedhouse compares because of the slope at MSA - very steep, so you were close to the floor, but higher up and had a great view. The fieldhouse you might be very low but the angle isn't as good because you are further away from the court.

Best seat ever was about 12-15 rows up at MSA right at midcourt - nothing at the fieldhouse comes close

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anybody else get chills?
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Yep, literally not a bad seat in the house, I'd often sit in the corners, as far back as the wall and it was still awesome!

I still remember my first two games at MSA in the 1995-1996 season when I was a very young kid. The first was in November 1995 against the Kings when the teams got into a big brawl. That's the game where Dale Davis was fighting Michael Smith. The second was about a month later against the Clippers. Smits dropped a career high of 44 that stood for the remainder of his career. Those were a couple of eventful games to see for a young fan like me who was going to his first Pacer games.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep, literally not a bad seat in the house, I'd often sit in the corners, as far back as the wall and it was still awesome!
    Yep, I remember slapping on that metal mesh wall in the upper corners trying to create a few more decibels in an utter sea of noise!

Sollozo, thanks for pointing us to that site... I believe his pics are the first I've seen of the original Arco Arena (Before the current building) where the Kings played for their first couple seasons in Sac. There are not too many pics of the inside of that place and a few others floating around the internet.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't believe I'd already forgot how a lot of MSA looked. MSA was great!

I saved all the MSA pixs, wish the coyright crap was not there.
    "Just look at the flowers ...."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I still remember my first two games at MSA in the 1995-1996 season when I was a very young kid. The first was in November 1995 against the Kings when the teams got into a big brawl. That's the game where Dale Davis was fighting Michael Smith.
    I never seen anyone get hit on top of the head like that.... It was cartoon like!
    Dale Davis... Legendary!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    I never seen anyone get hit on top of the head like that.... It was cartoon like!
    Dale Davis... Legendary!

I'm pretty sure that was the biggest fight in NBA history as far as suspensions handed down up until the brawl. Can anyone confirm that?

I can't go that far. IMO once you got about 20 rows up into the upper section the seats were horrible - felt dangerous because of the steep slope.

Because it was also a hockey arena the seats behind the baskets were really far back away from the court. You had no leg room at all.

The concourses were terrible. Having to walk up 6 flights just to enter the building - horrible.

Also the A/C sucked

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I'm pretty sure that was the biggest fight in NBA history as far as suspensions handed down up until the brawl. Can anyone confirm that?
    I doubt it. As far as suspensions it was probably the fight in Phoenix between the Knicks and Suns. There were actually two fights http://breadcity.org/2009/07/13/knicks-vs-suns-1993/

Actually there used to be a lot of fights.

There was also a pretty bad one in a playoff game at Atlanta in the early 90's

Edit: no, i am wrong.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2701111
    In an unprecedented move, the NBA suspends 16 players for fighting during the Pacers-Kings game in Indianapolis. Forward Dale Davis of the Pacers and Michael Smith of the Kings received the greatest penalties -- both received two-game suspensions without pay and $20,000 in fines. The pair fought with 2:43 left in the third quarter of the Kings' 119-95 victory. Kings center Duane Causewell was suspended for one game without pay and fined $7,500 because he left the bench and did not try to break up the bench-clearing fracas in which punches and choking took place. The 13 other players, including Pacers star Reggie Miller, received one-game suspensions and $2,500 fines for leaving the bench areas. The Kings penalized: Tyus Edney, Byron Houston, Sarunas Marciulionis, Olden Polynice, Lionel Simmons and Walt Williams. The Pacers penalized: Travis Best, Adrian Caldwell, Duane Ferrell, Fred Holberg, Mark Jackson, Miller and Dwayne Schintzius.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 09-14-2012 at 02:14 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

The NBA suspended 16 players Saturday for fighting during Friday night's game between the Indiana Pacers and the Sacramento Kings, the largest number ever suspended from one incident.

NBA spokeswoman Teri Washington said it was the league's largest mass-suspension ever.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...ers-kings.html

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

How about the floor seats behind one of the baskets? You know, the end where they would set up about 8-10 rows of folding chairs on the end of the floor used for hockey? Those had to be horrible seats.

Also, the outdoor concourse on the sixth (I think it was sixth) level and the ramps would always get covered in ice and snow and be slick as heck in winter storms.

I know numerous bands did not like to perform there because of how the huge equipment had to be loaded the the court level, and circuses hated it for getting the animals to that level as well.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

I don't mind the good memories of MSA - but lets not forget the bad ones also.

I hated those ramps.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Yep, I remember slapping on that metal mesh wall in the upper corners trying to create a few more decibels in an utter sea of noise!

Sollozo, thanks for pointing us to that site... I believe his pics are the first I've seen of the original Arco Arena (Before the current building) where the Kings played for their first couple seasons in Sac. There are not too many pics of the inside of that place and a few others floating around the internet.
    Excellent, during a playoff game my hands had bruises from banging that waffle metal wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

I hated those ramps.
    I'm pretty sure I spent the better part of my teens and 20s walking up those ramps.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

The NBA suspended 16 players Saturday for fighting during Friday night's game between the Indiana Pacers and the Sacramento Kings, the largest number ever suspended from one incident.

NBA spokeswoman Teri Washington said it was the league's largest mass-suspension ever.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...ers-kings.html
    So the Pacers were part of the worst NBA brawl twice. Freaking 90's gangsters, that's why I hated that Reggie/Rik/Dale era.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

I hated those ramps.
    But the two worst things were the concourse as you mentioned and trying to leave if it was pretty full and you were in the high side seats. Everything exited the same concourse level so your best bet would be to work your way down and then over an aisle and even then it would take forever.

I rarely had good seats in those days, though the corner behind the baseline seats were a huge steal, running $6-7 in the early 90s for just above the concourse. My two great seats were a friend getting is into his dad's seats, center about row 4-5 (state senator) for a Spurs game around 94 maybe, and my wife getting me 3rd row at the baseline (side) where I saw Shawn Kemp show one of the nastiest spins to dunk that I've ever witnessed.

I recall as a kid seeing Gervin light them up for 50+ I think, maybe 79-80 era? I should check BBRef.

MSA has to be one of the most bizarre arenas ever. Has there ever been another arena that was elevated above a city street?

I can't believe that the site has been a parking lot for 11 years now. Apartments are always springing up downtown, and you would have thought something would eventually have been built.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-14-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Here's the link for the Smits 44 point game I was talking about. Even though I was only 8, I can still remember Reb Porter announcing his career high.

44 pts on 20-29 shooting for the Dunking Dutchman.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...512100IND.html

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was at the Pacer vs Kings game, that was one heck of a fight. Not as big as that one, but fights happened all the time in the NBA, it wasn't as big of deal as it is now days.

I had a real good view of some of it, Antonio Davis had 2 Kings on the ground beating the tar out of them. A.D. didn't even get suspended cause he wasn't on film.
    "Just look at the flowers ...."

MSA has to be one of the most bizarre arenas ever. Has there ever been another arena that was elevated above a city street?

I can't believe that the site has been a parking lot for 11 years now. Apartments are always springing up downtown, and you would have thought something would eventually have been built.
    There was a high rise condo project in the works, but that fell through in about 2008 or 2009...maybe earlier.

There's no question that the Fieldhouse is a much better arena, but I'm probably one of the rare few that prefer MSA over the Fieldhouse.
    Last edited by imawhat; 09-14-2012 at 04:39 PM.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

You guys are romantisizing the past. The Fieldhouse was an immediate upgrade more so than the RCA to Lucas Oil. The Fieldhouse has less blind spots, less steepness, better concourse, entries and exits are smoother, and a way better courtside feel.

With that said, some of the greatest Pacer moments happened in MSA.
    Last edited by Major Cold; 09-16-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    You guys are romantisizing the past. The Fieldhouse was an immediate upgrade more so than the RCA to Lucas Oil. The Fieldhouse has less blind spots, less steepness, better concourse, entries and exits are smoother, and a way better courtside feel.

With that said, some of the greatest Pacer moments happened in MSA.
    I don't know, MSA, when it was torn down, was still adequate for an NBA arena. Not great by any means, but adequate in terms of amenities. Heck, MSA in 1998 was probably nicer than the Bradley Center in 2012, which says something about our owners' commitment to our franchise. I also go to the Verizon Center every year and it may be marginally nicer than MSA, but not really (it does lack those awful ramps). As far as sight lines, my grandparents season tickets at MSA and BLF are basically in the same part of the arena. I liked the MSA seats better because my grandparents' seats are on the far left side of the arena, and I feel like at MSA the sight line was better, it was just a bit more fluid whereas at BLF you really feel segmented off to one side. JMO.

As far as the RCA Dome is concerned, that place was way out of the sync with the standard for NFL stadiums (admittedly much higher than NBA arenas) and needed to go. I've never been to Lucas Oil so I can't speak for it, but I remember my last game at the Dome and thinking wow this place is a dump compared to other NFL facilities they have to tear it down to keep the team in Indy.