Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Vikings - Colts

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Banta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I haven't read through the whole thread, so advance apologies if this has already been discussed. I noted a few things about Luck today.

1. He is excellent at sensing the pressure and moving in the pocket to avoid it. Excellent.
    2. He was not especially accurate, despite the overall percentage. He underthrew Avery on that 1st qtr bomb, the TD to Allen was thrown late and at least 3 or 4 other inaccurate throws that were great catches. I was only judging him on throws where he had protection.
    3. Dang that kids is ugly.
    He improved in a number of categories. Zero turnovers, for one. His deep balls were thrown much better. I think the first person to admit that he has things to work on is Luck himself. Everything I see though is a matter of speed and timing, which will correct over time.

You're absolutely right about his pocket awareness. I don't recall a rookie ever being as good in that category.

We waited fifteen weeks last year for our first win, so yeah.

I was glad to see some pass protection improvement. Not awesome but Luck at least had time to make reads and step into most of his throws. And when he ran out he was excellent throwing on the run. His 2-min offense is just ridiculous for a rook.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-16-2012 at 09:53 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Vikings - Colts

I had one problem. That sack he took was horrible. One of the worst i've seen. Other than that, the kid is good. I'm super excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Agreed. Luck led a beautiful drive to set up that FG at the end of the game when he was able to play to his capabilities. Our play calling was overly conservative in the previous four possessions and it almost cost us the game. I hope that doesn't become a trend. Let Luck throw.
    I'll be honest, I was so drunk, I thought Jim Caldwell had snuck back into Lucas Oil, grabbed a head set and started calling plays from some unknown location. When Minnesota was driving and there was a timeout called, I looked at my friends and said " Here comes Scobee! "

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Lucks pocket awareness blows my mind. There were about 4 times where I saw Allen turn the corner and i cringed, thinking Allen was going to get up wearing a Andrew Luck jersey. He's no Peyton, but lets be honest, if Allen turned the corner on Peyton like that, Peyton is dropping to the ground.

When Luck first came in, i tried to compare him to Rodgers. The more i see him, especially today, he reminds me a lot of Rothlisberger. He's deadly when he's forced to scramble. He's made 3 or 4 deadly accurate passes across his body, on the run. The look on Jared Allen's face was priceless.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Noticed early in the game where Luck was about to get sacked and the crowd did that "OhhhHHH" thing, and Luck was like, oh yea that means I'm about to get sacked and he scrambled out of it. On top of his general pocket awareness, he's also hard to bring down/ get a hold of. That saved us a safety.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"We were rushing him. He moved around a lot. It (stinks), missing sacks," Jared Allen said. "He did a good job. If the guy is not as mobile, we probably have six sacks.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, Luck's athleticism is extremely impressive. It just might be enough to keep him healthy this season. If he can just make it through this season, we can beef up the line next year with our cap space and hopefully won't have to worry as much about it.

I hope that last drive was enough to show our coaches that we don't need to hold Luck back if we have a lead. That would have been a very difficult loss to take after having so many opportunities to put that game away.

I bet Wayne has like 1300 yards this year. He was able to get 900 last year with all of those bums throwing it to him.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Even tho the Vikings imploded, the Colts was able to hang in there and get a victory. I think the Vikings helped the Colts at times more then the Colts helped themselves at times. I have to give props to the Colts for the last drive and field goal.

I really didn't think the Colts could win this game and I have to say that I was wrong. However, I'm not sure how many teams are just going to give games away like that so I am very reluctant to think Colts will win another one this year. Just have to take it one game at a time.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

So we almost saw the disaster that is "playing it safe" yesterday. By trying to not put Luck in a position to make a mistake we had to put him in a position to lead a game winning drive with 30 seconds on the clock, which obviously he did brilliantly but that's besides the point. Arians was notorious for doing this type of bull **** in Pittsburgh and Steelers fans hated him for it, so I am hoping it will not be a continual habit here, hopefully Pagano can say "Let Luck throw." He may be a rookie, but any possession we have where we run on three straight plays is IMO going to be a failure.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Luck is somewhere between Rodgers and Roethlisberger in terms of his athletic traits. IMO though he is ahead of both of them as rookies. Luck's pocket awareness is unbelievable. Being at the game yesterday it was incredible how he would pick up on Allen coming from his blind side and take off at the right moment leaving Allen grasping for air, that is a special sense to have. His one deep sack was a big fail, but I'm willing to cut him some slack. He was trying to make a plan after having to keep his arm holstered all second half.

Damn, didn't realize this, but Luck's game winning drive yesterday was the first game winning drive in September by a rookie QB since 1971 when a guy by the name of Archie Manning did it.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Damn, didn't realize this, but Luck's game winning drive yesterday was the first game winning drive in September by a rookie QB since 1971 when a guy by the name of Archie Manning did it.
    That's cool, just hope it doesn't mean the next coming of the brown bag...lol!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Even tho the Vikings imploded, the Colts was able to hang in there and get a victory. I think the Vikings helped the Colts at times more then the Colts helped themselves at times. I have to give props to the Colts for the last drive and field goal.

I really didn't think the Colts could win this game and I have to say that I was wrong. However, I'm not sure how many teams are just going to give games away like that so I am very reluctant to think Colts will win another one this year. Just have to take it one game at a time.
    Though the VIkes had stupid penalties and mistakes, but the Colts were easily up 20-6 before we took the foot off the pedal so to speak. It's not like the Vikes were just GIVING us the game.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Though the VIkes had stupid penalties and mistakes, but the Colts were easily up 20-6 before we took the foot off the pedal so to speak. It's not like the Vikes were just GIVING us the game.
    I dont want to take away the effort of the Colts, but one of the drives was by stupid penalties by Vikings and I didn't see the Colts taking the peddle off, what I seen was the running game was being used to take time off the clock and to not give the Vikings anything easy. Just the run game was sub par, but it was good experiance.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

I dont want to take away the effort of the Colts, but one of the drives was by stupid penalties by Vikings and I didn't see the Colts taking the peddle off, what I seen was the running game was being used to take time off the clock and to not give the Vikings anything easy. Just the run game was sub par, but it was good experiance.
    You can look at this game in mulitple ways but one way I really don't understand is why the COlts deserved to lose this game. The defense basically did a great job of winning the turn over battle and if it wasn't for a hilarious TD tip pass this game wouldn't have been close. Also the refs missed another turn over which would have greatly impacted the game.

The Colts had a great defense this Sunday and had some great punts to control the field. There is nothing wrong with winning a close game in the last seconds with your HOF field goal kicker and let me remind everyone that this game wouldn't have been close if it was for some serious luck by the vikings offense and a missed fumble blown by the replacement refs.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

RWB

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Reverse that logic. Indy going to the ground for 3 straight (failed) possessions in the 2nd half and going vanilla on defense is exactly what defines "taking the peddle off". Our D held them to 6 points for over 3 quarters, and then went vanilla and gave up 2 straight 4th quarter touchdowns. That's what you call "prevent-mode" blowing up in your face. People are absolutely right, this game was "decided" in the first 3 quarters, and the Vikes were getting blown out. The 3-point win doesn't indicate how badly Indy really won this game. It was when Indy went to prevent-mode that Minny made their "run" in the 4th quarter. You could almost label it garbage time scores, except they tied the damn thing up in that garbage time, which was a mistake on the part of the coaching staff.

I can tell ya right now; if Pagano/Arians/Manusky want to *keep* their jobs, they better wise up to that crap... because the last few coaches/coordinators here who employed that tactic didn't last more than a season or two. You can't go into prevent mode, it doesn't work. It makes blowouts look like close-games and sometimes turns them into losses.

I also think they need to give up on the trick plays and end-arounds. They try that crap quite often, and I'm not a fan of it.

I understand running the ball here and there to setup the passing game, and I understand our line isn't a good run-blocking line, so that's something that I expect we'll massively address next year. For this year, we can expect to be frustrated by those zero-gain run plays, but they need to happen here and there. I wouldn't be surprised if we snag a sweet RB and some tackles/guards in this next off-season and draft and see a big improvement next year, once that $40mil in cap space frees up.

They also need to consider the no-huddle sooner than later, because Luck is proving quickly that he's a QB capable of handling it. His 2-min offense is... damn near unstoppable, which is crazy to say for a rookie. Every 2-min late-game possession we've had --- we've marched it down the field like it was easy. For a rookie to be conducting that.... is awesome. I still say Luck is the gem of this draft, as much as anyone is swinging off RG3's nuts after that first game. Aside from the mechanics and abilities that Luck displays that separate him from the rest of those guys, his ability to run a god-damn 2-min drill in his 2nd freaking game with that much success is flat-out ridiculous and not something you see any of those other rookies or 2nd-year guys doing. I mean come on, when we got the ball back with 30 seconds I turned to my wife and said "you watch, Luck is going to get a field goal in a mere 30 secs". I was wrong. He did it in damn near 15 seconds, from his own 20. Think about that. This is his 2nd game. You don't see any other rookie, 2nd-year, and mostly 3rd-year guys doing that.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-17-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

We don't need to snag a running back. We need to snag offensive linemen. Running back is the least important position on a football team. Any NFL running back can run behind a good offensive line but very few can run behind this clusterf**k of an offensive line.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Disagree. Just depends on where we draft and who is available when we draft. I also expect our O-line to make improvements as the year goes on. I'll go with best available when we draft between RB and linemen.

We addressed RB and o-line in 1999 and it worked out well. And we drafted a RB in the 1st. I'm not sold on Brown as an every-down back, he's too light. He's a great change-of-pace back to spot a true workhorse every-down back; sort of in the Dominique Rhodes mold.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-17-2012 at 11:39 AM.

I like Arians and I like teams that can run the ball. The Colts may have had a few more chances to go farther in the playoffs if they would have taken a more serious approach to being able to run the ball. Frankly their Super Bowl win was a credit to their defense and Dom Rhodes.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

To be fair, two of our starting lineman were out and our center went out in the middle of the game. We suck in general, and now we have to play backups and people out of position. That's going to make anybody's line suffer, though it's more pronounced due to our lack of talent there.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Reverse that logic. Indy going to the ground for 3 straight (failed) possessions in the 2nd half and going vanilla on defense is exactly what defines "taking the peddle off". Our D held them to 6 points for over 3 quarters, and then went vanilla and gave up 2 straight 4th quarter touchdowns. That's what you call "prevent-mode" blowing up in your face. People are absolutely right, this game was "decided" in the first 3 quarters, and the Vikes were getting blown out. The 3-point win doesn't indicate how badly Indy really won this game. It was when Indy went to prevent-mode that Minny made their "run" in the 4th quarter. You could almost label it garbage time scores, except they tied the damn thing up in that garbage time, which was a mistake on the part of the coaching staff.

I understand running the ball here and there to setup the passing game, and I understand our line isn't a good run-blocking line, so that's something that I expect we'll massively address next year. For this year, we can expect to be frustrated by those zero-gain run plays, but they need to happen here and there. I wouldn't be surprised if we snag a sweet RB and some tackles/guards in this next off-season and draft and see a big improvement next year, once that $40mil in cap space frees up.

They also need to consider the no-huddle sooner than later, because Luck is proving quickly that he's a QB capable of handling it. His 2-min offense is... damn near unstoppable, which is crazy to say for a rookie. Every 2-min late-game possession we've had --- we've marched it down the field like it was easy. For a rookie to be conducting that.... is awesome. I still say Luck is the gem of this draft, as much as anyone is swinging off RG3's nuts after that first game. Aside from the mechanics and abilities that Luck displays that separate him from the rest of those guys, his ability to run a god-damn 2-min drill in his 2nd freaking game with that much success is flat-out ridiculous and not something you see any of those other rookies or 2nd-year guys doing. I mean come on, when we got the ball back with 30 seconds I turned to my wife and said "you watch, Luck is going to get a field goal in a mere 30 secs". I was wrong. He did it in damn near 15 seconds, from his own 20. Think about that. This is his 2nd game. You don't see any other rookie, 2nd-year, and mostly 3rd-year guys doing that.
    Yes Luck has looked impressive within the two minute offense in the few opportunities that he's had to run it, but the Vikings were in the very same "prevent defense" that the colts were playing when they gave up the TD. ((I don't remember if the Bears were in the same type of defensive setup when the Colts were marching down the field for the FGA.)) You said it yourself, being in prevent defense is a quick way to allow the offense move down the field. With that said, getting us in FG position in 30 seconds is pretty awesome -- I'd be Pi$$ED if I were a VIking fan lol.

I love Luck's accuracy while throwing on the move. He's mobile in that he's still looking to pass, only looking to run at the very last second when he HAS to. In spite of having a much worse O-Line, Luck isn't getting hit NEARLY as often as Griffin simply because he's being smarter about looking to pass when flushed from the pocket.

Griffin has looked really good, and he is on a very different level as far as athleticism is concerned at the QB position. His bomb yesterday was a perfect pass (whereas Luck's was a tad underthrown) BUT Griffin won't last if he keeps taking so many hits.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    You can look at this game in mulitple ways but one way I really don't understand is why the COlts deserved to lose this game. The defense basically did a great job of winning the turn over battle and if it wasn't for a hilarious TD tip pass this game wouldn't have been close. Also the refs missed another turn over which would have greatly impacted the game.

The Colts had a great defense this Sunday and had some great punts to control the field. There is nothing wrong with winning a close game in the last seconds with your HOF field goal kicker and let me remind everyone that this game wouldn't have been close if it was for some serious luck by the vikings offense and a missed fumble blown by the replacement refs.
    The Colts won this game fair and square and deserve every bit of the victory! Doesn't matter who does what on either side of the ball, when the time runs out you have an end result and the Colts had the most points. This game wasn't decided by striped shirts.

As far as my previous comments, I just don't see future teams being as reckless as the Vikings and thus making the Colts having to perform even better to get future wins.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Well, it's because, as we all know, you only deserve to win if you win decisively.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Yes Luck has looked impressive within the two minute offense in the few opportunities that he's had to run it, but the Vikings were in the very same "prevent defense" .................
    Everyone, I mean EVERYONE always says stuff like this about prevent D's. If EVERYONE is right, if EVERYONE is a better football mind than highschool, college and pro coaches - then why do all these teams use it ?? Someone is right and I think I'll go with the coaches instead of biased fans.

Luck moved the ball well enough in the 2 minute stuff to score points. So did Peyton. I'll bet Jake Locker or Brandon Weeden wouldn't move the ball that well in that situation.

An old coach once opined- If the prevent defense is so good, why don't teams play it the whole game?
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: