Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Vikings - Colts

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Vikings - Colts

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    0-16 is out of play! Whew. We got close there, folks. Thank god that monkey is off our back.
    That, and going 0-16 for the next three years. That one really worried me! I guess we can still shoot for 1-47

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, the Pats losing like they did, and then the Ravens losing like they did, and now they have to play each other in prime time next week? That's gonna be a black hole of anger over that game.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I think Ariens just wants to keep Luck alive.
    Which is understandable but the team doesn't have the personnel for what Arians wants on offense we aren't ground and pound.

I think this team would be much improved if we aired it out more on offense with Luck. Its one of his strengths. It might've not come down to the wire like it did.

But a W is still a W so its a moot point now.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I think Ariens just wants to keep Luck alive.
    hehe yeah that too.

I know the Colts aren't likely to be better than 4-12 or 5-11 at best this year, but it still feels good to win a meaningful game.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    He looks great when they let him throw instead of treating him like he is Tebow or something.

Agreed. Luck led a beautiful drive to set up that FG at the end of the game when he was able to play to his capabilities. Our play calling was overly conservative in the previous four possessions and it almost cost us the game. I hope that doesn't become a trend. Let Luck throw.

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    Whens the last time Vinny has been clutch for us?

He made a 50 yarder against the Jets in that playoff game two years ago which should have won the game. Our special teams blew it on the kickoff coverage and let the Jets get great field position. Vinatieri was great that season.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-16-2012 at 07:12 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I know the Colts aren't likely to be better than 4-12 or 5-11 at best this year, but it still feels good to win a meaningful game.
    Not trying to be a homer, but I really think we could win more games than that. Our schedule is littered with garbage teams. I don't think we are that good, but I honestly think we could win 7 or so games this year.

To be fair the Browns and Dolphins looked much better today, and Jags won't be a pushover. But I think we can take Green Bay, they suck.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    To be fair the Browns and Dolphins looked much better today, and Jags won't be a pushover. But I think we can take Green Bay, they suck.
    I'm not convinced either of those teams are good. Jags suck. I don't think the Titans are good.

I love Reggie Wayne. I'm so glad we wanted to keep him, and appreciate that he wanted to come back here. He is a special Colt.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Not trying to be a homer, but I really think we could win more games than that. Our schedule is littered with garbage teams. I don't think we are that good, but I honestly think we could win 7 or so games this year.
    I see the Colts winning 6-7 games this year.

How huge would it be if we beat Jacksonville next week and are 2-1 heading into the bye? Jacksonville is 0-2 and is not good at all. I think we have a very good chance at winning that game after today. But winning that game and being 2-1 heading into the bye week would be huge because the next two games are home against Green Bay and away at the Jets. Those will obviously be tough. Lets say we lose both of those and are 2-3. Then our next 3 games are home against Cleveland, away at Tenn, and home against Miami. I think we could go 2-1 against those three teams.

It's not unreasonable that this team starts the season at 4-4. I'm not going to say it's likely, but it's certainly possible after today.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    He made a 50 yarder against the Jets in that playoff game two years ago which should have one the game. Our special teams blew it on the kickoff coverage and let the Jets get great field position. Vinatieri was great that season.
    Wow I forgot about that which is surprising seeing as how that ended up being Manning's final game as a Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Wow I forgot about that which is surprising seeing as how that ended up being Manning's final game as a Colt

I wish I could forget that game....

Classic Colts home playoff lost against a team we should have beat.

Mood

And Peyton's classic look he shot Caldwell on the sideline after he called the timeout that let the Jets set up to win it. I'll never forget that. If looks could kill Caldwell would have been dead where he stood.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CompACE View Post
    Arians wants ground and pound, but we don't have the personnel for that, and I think he knows that. It's early in the season and he's trying to establish something of a semblance of that with the players the Colts do have. I think (and hope) he's going to realize it isn't working and let Luck do his thing. He did the same thing in Pittsburgh.
    I have heard Coach Pagno say he wants a ground and pound (something to that effect) football team, but what about Arians? He certainly didn't show that in Pittsburgh and I think that is why they fired him/told him to retire. To be fair to Arians he was working with a offensive line in Pittsburgh that has been declining for years. However I don't think many Steeler fans were unhappy about him leaving. It appears that many didn't care for his play calling. I can see why. I think the Colts were too conservative in the second half. But hey in the end the Colts won and that's what matters.

You're right how could I forget lol

Maybe I'm blocking out the subconscious pain or probably because it seemed like a lifetime ago with the Colts being a totally different team now it doesn't seem to register.

NFL changes quickly after all.

I remember the game but forgot that Adam made the FG that gave us the lead before the ill fated Special Teams gaffe.
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 09-16-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I think they just don't want to be dependent on a QB calling the plays all the time we did that with Manning and then when he was gone we couldn't handle it.

But I agree they need to let Luck be luck.
    I have to be honest I much prefer having the QB calling the plays if he is capable, like Peyton is. I don't think Luck is there yet but he could be one day. There are few QBs in the league who are capable of calling the plays but I think it is such a huge advantage to have. If you have one of those QBs you should let him do that.

The Colts should aim to have more balance in this new era of Colts football but they should also recognize that any team who loses their future HOF QB is going to be screwed. If the Colts had started Dan Orlovsky all of last season I think they would have won 4-5 games or so.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

Big win, imperfect as it may have been. Keeps people (read: non-diehards) engaged and tickets selling for the next few home games.

Agree on the uber conservative play calling front. I understand the concept of running simply to keep the D honest, but when your line is that inept at run blocking, you're just wasting downs.

Hey, the Vikes are trash, but the D was decent and IMO Luck excellent. Particularly when you consider how much he did on his OWN. I mean 90% of NFL QBs would have been sacked on about 8 occasions today where he escaped and MADE a play. That said, the O-line is a train wreck. Hopefully we'll get some of the guys back from injury next week and there can at least be incremental progress.

Oh yeah, sign me on for Ballard. Let Brown be the change of pace back.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Mood

Luck did enough to win it on his own. Certainly doesn't hurt to have Vinny on your team though. Brady has three rings because of Vinny so I'm willing to look the other way on one regular season game for Luck.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

So on to the Jags. The same Jags who lost to Minnesota in Week 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    I have heard Coach Pagno say he wants a ground and pound (something to that effect) football team, but what about Arians? He certainly didn't show that in Pittsburgh and I think that is why they fired him/told him to retire. To be fair to Arians he was working with a offensive line in Pittsburgh that has been declining for years. However I don't think many Steeler fans were unhappy about him leaving. It appears that many didn't care for his play calling. I can see why. I think the Colts were too conservative in the second half. But hey in the end the Colts won and that's what matters.
    When I said he did the same thing in Pittsburgh, I guess I meant it in terms of Arians having to adapt to Roethlisberger's playing style.
    I do recall Arians (or at least a reporter who interviewed him) say that he wanted to be a predominantly running offense in Pittsburgh when he started there, but they (the Steelers) started becoming more pass-happy as Roethlisberger developed into a good passing game.

While I don't have a source for that unfortunately (I was thinking of it off the top) here's an article of him talking about the running game.
    http://blogs.colts.com/2012/07/29/ar...-running-game/

“We want to be able to run the football when we want to run the football. There aren’t any numbers, every game dictates different numbers. But when we want to run it, we want to be able to run it, and be able to be physical.”
    Arians talked about taking an ‘old school football’ approach to running the football and he has multiple backs at his disposal this training camp.
    Also if Pagano wants ground and pound, I'm not sure he would've brought in Arians if he thought Arians would contradict his coaching philosophy.

I do agree with you though that his playcalling was too conservative for this game. At the very least we should've tried a HB sweep or two instead of running it up the gut for -2 yards every 1st down. I'm not even sure that would work, I'd just rather they tried something (a little) less predictable.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to CompACE For This Useful Post:

Colts deserved to lose this game because of the horrible play calling in the second half. Coaches got bailed out from Luck's heroics.
    David "And One" West

I haven't read through the whole thread, so advance apologies if this has already been discussed. I noted a few things about Luck today.

1. He is excellent at sensing the pressure and moving in the pocket to avoid it. Excellent.
    2. He was not especially accurate, despite the overall percentage. He underthrew Avery on that 1st qtr bomb, the TD to Allen was thrown late and at least 3 or 4 other inaccurate throws that were great catches. I was only judging him on throws where he had protection.
    3. Dang that kids is ugly.