Default Re: Broncos/Manning 2012-2013 Season Thread

Peyton is in the driver's seat for MVP
    Smothered Chicken!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Not yet. Matt Ryan still is. Eli could make a run at it too. Manning has great stats, but he needs to get comfortably over .500 before you can say that he's in the driver's seat for the MVP. If Denver loses against the Saints this week then they are 3-4. No way could he be the MVP frontrunner if he's on a 3-4 team.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Not yet. Matt Ryan still is. Eli could make a run at it too. Manning has great stats, but he needs to get comfortably over .500 before you can say that he's in the driver's seat for the MVP. If Denver loses against the Saints this week then they are 3-4. No way could he be the MVP frontrunner if he's on a 3-4 team.
    Currently he is. Eli has a slight chance. It's really between Ryan and Peyton
    Smothered Chicken!

Currently he is. Eli has a slight chance. It's really between Ryan and Peyton
    Let's see what happens this week. If they beat the Saints then I'll really start to like Peyton's MVP chances as I think that will be the start of the Broncos getting comfortably over .500. But if they lose and are 3-4 then I don't think his chances will be very good.

Let's see what happens this week. If they beat the Saints then I'll really start to like Peyton's MVP chances as I think that will be the start of the Broncos getting comfortably over .500. But if they lose and are 3-4 then I don't think his chances will be very good.
    yeah
    Smothered Chicken!

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I personally think Eli is the best player in the NFL, and most valuable. He has the numbers, the performances, and the record to back it up.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I personally think Eli is the best player in the NFL, and most valuable. He has the numbers, the performances, and the record to back it up.
    Yeah. The one thing missing on Eli's resume' going into this season was dominating the regular season like say Peyton and Brady have done. That is, playing so great that your team is guaranteed 11+ wins. That's what he's doing so far this season I think. No more sneaking into the playoffs with 9 wins like last year. He needs to have double digit regular seasons for the next few years, and I think he'll do that. If he does that then he'll have an incredible legacy. It's incredible when you put into perspective just how big those 2007 and 2011 playoff runs were.

Peyton isn't close to the MVP. Eli is now the premier Manning QB. Maybe if Denver was 5-1, Peyton could be in consideration. A true MVP doesn't lose games for his team, which is what happened when Denver played Atlanta
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Peyton isn't close to the MVP. Eli is now the premier Manning QB. Maybe if Denver was 5-1, Peyton could be in consideration. A true MVP doesn't lose games for his team, which is what happened when Denver played Atlanta
    And they almost won it but yeah I think Eli has outplayed Peyton thus far. But to say Big Bro Manning isn't close is also inaccurate the NFL is so mediocre right now that I think him being in the discussion isn't that hard to believe.

That being said Peyton has played well considering that bad 1st Quarter of that ATL game for someone who's missed a year and had 4 neck surgeries ...

He played worse in early 2008 after his knee operation.

That being said its Matt Ryan's to lose at this point.

Peyton Manning invests in 21 Denver Papa John's pizza shops - ESPN

Peyton Manning to own pizza shops

Updated: October 26, 2012, 5:07 PM ET
    Associated Press
    Email
    Print

DENVER -- Now Broncos fans can call the audibles while Peyton Manning cheers them on.

Pepperoni! No, make that sausage!

Manning became the newest franchisee for Papa John's pizza, signing a deal to own 21 stores in the Denver area Friday, the same day the pizza maker also announced it had signed a multiyear contract to continue as the official pizza of the NFL and the Super Bowl. Terms were not disclosed.

"He's the kind of partner we're looking for, not only in marketing but in business," said Papa John's chief marketing officer, Andrew Varga.

Manning connected with Papa John's for a promotion at the 2011 Super Bowl and has since been featured in commercials with founder and CEO John Schnatter. The most recent ad shows the quarterback goading Schnatter into offering a total of 2 million free pizzas to fans who win weekly drawings, doubling the number of freebies the CEO gave away last year.

During Sunday's game between the Broncos and Saints, Manning will star in a new commercial stating that, as a new franchisee, he, too, now gets to give away free pizzas. He also gives fans information about how to join him in becoming a franchise owner.

"It's a smart investment now and will be long after I'm done playing football," Manning said.

Since Manning is an endorser for Papa John's, it's not clear whether he paid for the 21 franchises or was given them as part of the deal. Manning's marketing agent, Alan Zucker, told ESPN that the particulars of the deal were confidential.

With his quick wit and clean off-the-field reputation, Manning has long been considered one of the top pitchmen in sports. The spoof he did of himself in a send-up of a United Way commercial on "Saturday Night Live" is a classic.

Papa John's has spent the last decade or so solidifying its sports connections. It's the title sponsor of the football stadium at University of Louisville. It also had its name on the college bowl game held in Birmingham, Ala., from 2006-11.

The company signed with the NFL in 2010 and has been expanding the partnership since then.

Now, it has Manning as its No. 1 pitchman.

"The pizza category is fun. Our founder has fun when he gets into the commercials," Varga said. "You throw Peyton into that mix with the NFL platform and it makes it easy to execute lighthearted commercials that are very much in character for both."

Despite that bloody thumb Peyton looks pretty good out there. Although its obvious he's picking his sports they're running the ball more.

Peyton must be so happy to have a run game and a defense that doesn't suck. Good for him, I'm rooting for him all the way this year. Unless they play the Colts in the playoffs *wink wink*
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

The Broncos completely obliterated the Saints. Manning played amazing again. Now he has 17 TDs and 4 picks? Incredible. It's good to see him out there playing great.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Best part was the run-pass balance. You rush forty times for over 200 yards and you're winning a lot of football games. Especially when your defense holds your opponent to about 50 yards rushing the ball.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

The Manning MVP train will be full steam ahead through the rest of the season. Look at how they finish:

@ Cincy, @ Carolina, SD, @ KC, TB, @ Oakland, @ Balt, Cleve, KC.

That is a pretty easy finish. They are 4-3 now and it's not hard to believe that they could finish 12-4.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

The Manning MVP train will be full steam ahead through the rest of the season. Look at how they finish:

@ Cincy, @ Carolina, SD, @ KC, TB, @ Oakland, @ Balt, Cleve, KC.

That is a pretty easy finish. They are 4-3 now and it's not hard to believe that they could finish 12-4.
    Oh, they will probably lose one of those games but if Peyton keeps playing like this and Ryan loses a couple, he will be right there. I do think it would be hilarious to hear what people have to say about the Colts cutting the MVP.... Hell, he has a pretty good team there, he might win a couple of more.... What is more important is that team is starting to look very dangerous. Peyton has the offense playing great and look what that defense did to Brees.....

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Best part was the run-pass balance. You rush forty times for over 200 yards and you're winning a lot of football games. Especially when your defense holds your opponent to about 50 yards rushing the ball.

It is like the old Colts and Edge. Get a lead and then grind it out and kill clock. That is a great running game they have their. That is why they got in the playoffs with Tebow and won a game there last year.... I wonder if Elway will be executive of the year??

Banned
    Mood

The Broncos completely obliterated the Saints. Manning played amazing again. Now he has 17 TDs and 4 picks? Incredible. It's good to see him out there playing great.

Pretty good for a guy several people on this forum thought should have retired and was finished. I guess Elway did not buy the Irsay swill.....

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Despite that bloody thumb Peyton looks pretty good out there. Although its obvious he's picking his sports they're running the ball more.
    They run the ball to establish it. They run the ball when they have the lead. If they get behind like they did against the Chargers, he will be airing it out....

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Pretty good for a guy several people on this forum thought should have retired and was finished. I guess Elway did not buy the Irsay swill.....
    Irsay never once stated or indicated that Manning could not play at a high level.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Banned
    Mood

Irsay never once stated or indicated that Manning could not play at a high level.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    No, but he was leaking information that Manning had a "noodle arm." There was lots of that. But many here were happy to see him go.... I think they were very foolish and they didn't take into consideration Manning's determination, will and work ethic. While Irsay was releasing information that Manning's arm was still weak, he doctors cleared him to play, he was working out in other areas and people there said he was throwing the ball with some zip....... Irsay had a big public relations nightmare on his hand so he was constantly releasing information to Kravitz and others about Manning's arm not responding to treatment. But, Denver thanks you. They get a potential MVP QB and didn't have to give up any of their talent to get him....We'll see how this deal looks ten years from now. I think it will go down as perhaps the worst management decision in NFL history but we will see..... If Luck does become a star, if he was watching what happened to Manning in Indy, he should not sign a new contract and should move as a free agent to a real contender. I would find that hilarious although I wouldn't like what it would to to the Colts but it is what Irsay deserves.....

Sports Logo Sports Logo

No, but he was leaking information that Manning had a "noodle arm." There was lots of that. But many here were happy to see him go.... I think they were very foolish and they didn't take into consideration Manning's determination, will and work ethic. While Irsay was releasing information that Manning's arm was still weak, he doctors cleared him to play, he was working out in other areas and people there said he was throwing the ball with some zip....... Irsay had a big public relations nightmare on his hand so he was constantly releasing information to Kravitz and others about Manning's arm not responding to treatment. But, Denver thanks you. They get a potential MVP QB and didn't have to give up any of their talent to get him....We'll see how this deal looks ten years from now. I think it will go down as perhaps the worst management decision in NFL history but we will see..... If Luck does become a star, if he was watching what happened to Manning in Indy, he should not sign a new contract and should move as a free agent to a real contender. I would find that hilarious although I wouldn't like what it would to to the Colts but it is what Irsay deserves.....

Banned
    Mood

I didn't think you would like that scenario but it could happen.....

If Luck does become a star, if he was watching what happened to Manning in Indy, he should not sign a new contract and should move as a free agent to a real contender. I would find that hilarious although I wouldn't like what it would to to the Colts but it is what Irsay deserves.....
    So are you starting to slightly like Luck?