Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos/Manning 2012-2013 Season Thread

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Broncos/Manning 2012-2013 Season Thread

That was a fantastic catch... it happened so fast it almost looked like he didn't get in, but on slo-mo, it was clear he made a fantastic play and scored. They reversed it.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

My defense of the replacement refs this season aside, tonight's refs have been about the worst I've seen this season so far...
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I don't think this is the MNF game ESPN thought they were going to have....
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Whole lotta time left...

Banned

Game over.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This reminds me of that game against the Chargers in 2007. Manning threw like 12 picks, but we still had a chance of winning it (Vinny missed a chip shot FG)
    Actually it was 6 picks but this game almost reminded me of the Giants/Bucs game(Manning brothers with 3 picks) and Bucs/Colts game combined.. so close.. but you can't have that many TO's early.

You think the Bucs hate the Manning brothers like the Pats do?

ATL is a tough place to win in the regular season since Matt Ryan arrived not surprised the Broncos lost but how they lost.

They should've gone to McGahee earlier maybe would've won.

Hopefully they can beat the Texans next week.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    My defense of the replacement refs this season aside, tonight's refs have been about the worst I've seen this season so far...
    The Rams/Redskins officials were just as bad IMO. I didn't watch the game, but I've heard from others that the Ravens/Eagles crew was terrible as well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Merz For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He needs to be a little more patient. He is still getting back to playing, so by the end of the year is when Peyton will be back, maybe
    "We want Miami"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

I don't think it's a coincidence that all three picks were floating non-spirals to the right side. He made some nice downfield throws to the left, but there is something physically or mechanically wrong with the throws of over 10 yards to the right when there needs to be some mustard on them.

Will that get better? Who knows.

Obviously he can adapt a little and turn him body more so that a throw to the right becomes mechanically more like a throw to the left, but that would also serves to telegraph the throw. Keep in mind that the Falcons secondary was decimated by injury, so this was in part some backups and former practice squad guys. If he doesn't improve, this will get worse against faster defensive secondaries in less-than-perfect weather.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Peyton's arm strength does not look NFL quality. Luckily he is still the smartest QB in the NFL and that helps. If I were a D I would be playing bump and run single coverage on Peyton's receivers all day, force them to throw deep.

Peyton is lucky he probably could have thrown another 2-3 interceptions. One hit an ATL DB in the hands and the other I can think of off the top of my head was a lofted ball to the corner of the end zone that Dunta Robinson had an easy pick on, but Stokley got away with offensive pass interference to break it up. I believe there was one other floater that was very nearly picked off as well.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

He's never had the strongest arm though but he's always been a cerebral QB

He did say he wasn't 100% I guess people should've listened after the 1st game.

Peyton doesn't look the same to me. He should have retired and kept his legacy intact
    David "And One" West

Hmm....

"I was going in for the Hail Mary," Osweiler said. "I'm not sure what the dividing line was as far as me going in, but I was getting ready to go in."

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/9/1...-arm#storyjump

If it really is true that Denver's backup was going in there to throw the Hail Mary, then it seems reasonable to wonder if Peyton still has arm strength issues. I don't care how strong that backup guy is, because a healthy Peyton Manning is always going to be the one throwing the Hail Mary. No backup would have ever thrown it here.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

This was 18's second game back in 2 years!! Of course he's rusty, of course he got confused. After all of those neck surgeries, and time away from the game, nobody should expect him to come out and just sling it all over the field. Say what you want about his lack of arm-strength and INT's, but he was a stop away form getting the ball back and putting his team in position to win.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This was 18's second game back in 2 years!! Of course he's rusty, of course he got confused. After all of those neck surgeries, and time away from the game, nobody should expect him to come out and just sling it all over the field. Say what you want about his lack of arm-strength and INT's, but he was a stop away form getting the ball back and putting his team in position to win.
    Yes, it's impressive how far he's come over the past year. But if the backup is coming in to throw the Hail Mary then it's fair to ask if their are still arm strength issues.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wish he would have thrown some lower-percentage passes against our defense in week #1. The arm didn't look strong, but he did place the ball out of harm's way.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I predict that any day now, you see a story about the NFL beginning a backlash against the ref bashing going on in the media. The NFL can't be happy with the way the broadcaster are regularly roasting these guys. Not that they don't deserve it.
    aaaaand here it is:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/84...ular-refs-same

Yes, it's impressive how far he's come over the past year. But if the backup is coming in to throw the Hail Mary then it's fair to ask if their are still arm strength issues.

Not necessarily I mean when Bledsoe was QB for the Pats they put in Michael Bishop in for a Hail Mary because he had a stronger arm that doesn't mean he's a better QB.

I mean Jeff George had an arm so did Ryan Leaf and we all know how they turned out....

Sure would he have throw it here? Yes because look at who was behind him ....

Now if he were still here and we had Luck as backup or Stanton no I don't think he would not at his age.

That being said while he had a bad 1 Q he got better as the game went on with his decision making. ATL is a tough place to win I don't know why people are surprised the Broncos lost. Even he said he wasn't 100%.

Now if it keeps up as the season goes on then there's a cause for concern. But its Week 2 and given how last week they all talked about how he was back and now he's damaged?

Knee jerk at its finest.

Of course he was on the cover of SI so that might've been the reason for his bad performance

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    I love that. Because, you know, we only judge refs based on how many flags they throw. What about number of brawls started? How about player respect for the refs? What about missing an egregious call on one play, only to make up for it by throwing a flag later on a typical football play?

The replacement refs, in my mind, have not been that bad. But it would benefit all if we could get the seasoned guys back in there.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, there's been a few blunders here and there, but generally the same for me. I do feel like pass interference has been way too prevalent, though, good grief. It's getting to the point where I almost expect a flag thrown on every downfield incompletion. Half the time it seems like there really isn't much contact at all on replay.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Yeah, there's been a few blunders here and there, but generally the same for me. I do feel like pass interference has been way too prevalent, though, good grief. It's getting to the point where I almost expect a flag thrown on every downfield incompletion. Half the time it seems like there really isn't much contact at all on replay.
    Pass interference calls are inconsistent with the normal refs. With the replacements you could honestly just throw a jump ball downfield and probably either get it completed or get a pass interference call. Total crapshoot.

I too think the replacement refs have been far from perfect, but they've been fine. What is more annoying than the replacement refs are the football nerds they have on Fox Sports (especially) and CBS complaining that they aren't following provision 3 of subjection F of rule (8). Honestly, I don't give a ****. Football was fine for a long time without all of the nit picky rules they have now that lawyers could make a living explaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Not necessarily I mean when Bledsoe was QB for the Pats they put in Michael Bishop in for a Hail Mary because he had a stronger arm that doesn't mean he's a better QB.

I mean Jeff George had an arm so did Ryan Leaf and we all know how they turned out....

Sure would he have throw it here? Yes because look at who was behind him ....

Now if he were still here and we had Luck as backup or Stanton no I don't think he would not at his age.

That being said while he had a bad 1 Q he got better as the game went on with his decision making. ATL is a tough place to win I don't know why people are surprised the Broncos lost. Even he said he wasn't 100%.

Now if it keeps up as the season goes on then there's a cause for concern. But its Week 2 and given how last week they all talked about how he was back and now he's damaged?

Knee jerk at its finest.

Of course he was on the cover of SI so that might've been the reason for his bad performance

No one's saying that he can't win games because clearly he can. All I'm saying is that I can't imagine that a Colts backup would have EVER been prepping to throw a Hail Mary during the heyday years with Peyton. It simply wouldn't have happened. I don't care if we would have had the Hulk on our team. Manning is throwing that ball if he's 100%.

That's not saying he's finished. That's not saying that he can't be a great quarterback this year. But if that backup really was prepping to go in the game to make that throw, it's fair to ask if his arm is 100%. Now he doesn't need a 100% arm to win games. But I doubt we see him bomb it around like it's 2004.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

No one's saying that he can't win games because clearly he can. All I'm saying is that I can't imagine that a Colts backup would have EVER been prepping to throw a Hail Mary during the heyday years with Peyton. It simply wouldn't have happened. I don't care if we would have had the Hulk on our team. Manning is throwing that ball if he's 100%.

That's not saying he's finished. That's not saying that he can't be a great quarterback this year. But if that backup really was prepping to go in the game to make that throw, it's fair to ask if his arm is 100%. Now he doesn't need a 100% arm to win games. But I doubt we see him bomb it around like it's 2004.

He's 36 years old I figured he wasn't going to bomb it around at that age anyways. I agree its fair to ask but 2004 Manning was a long time ago. He really hasn't been the same since then.

But the decline began arm strength wise in 2007/8 but he was so quick and smart that it wasn't too noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    ...aaaaaand here is another one:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/84...s-all-32-teams