Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos/Manning 2012-2013 Season Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Broncos/Manning 2012-2013 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only curse I believe in is the one the General has laid on IU...... I want to see him win that for the fifth time... That might put it out of reach for a very long time....
    I think he's already put it out of reach for a long time with four.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    So one loss disqualifies Matt Ryan all of a sudden? Especially in a game he played well in?

Lord knows how Luck is still in this running with the Bears/Jets games

I hope Manning wins his 5th this year!
    No, of course not but if he went undefeated no one else would have a chance..... ... Luck isn't in the running. I am sure some article or poll says he is but he is not....

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Peyton has serious competition from Andrew Luck in the MVP race. Matt Ryan blew it against a bad Saints team today, and didn't look like an MVP when the game was on the line
    Peyton has no competition from Luck. That award goes to a player on a team with one of the best records in football.... Manning may win out from here or lose one game. Luck plays the Texas and unless the Texans have home field clinched, they won't win either of those games in spite of your guarantee. They won't beat New England either and Detroit will be a tough road game for them.... ...
    Last edited by OlBlu; 11-12-2012 at 07:46 AM.

I hate that Denver played the likes of the Texans, Falcons, and Pats early in the season when Manning was still trying to find his rhythm. I'd love to see those matchups right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I hate that Denver played the likes of the Texans, Falcons, and Pats early in the season when Manning was still trying to find his rhythm. I'd love to see those matchups right now.
    Don't worry, you've got the playoffs to revisit that dream.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

I honestly don't think they'd be any different. The same criticisms you could make of Peyton now, you could make of him then. His decision making is still top notch, but the arm strength is not there, I think even Peyton would agree with this. He floats a lot of passes and a lot of them are wobbly. It's a really testament to just how smart of a QB and game manager he is that he is so good right now, because very few starting QBs are throwing a ball with less zip right now than Peyton (it also shows just how overrated arm strength is, but I digress). My fear though for Peyton is that if you look at the team's that he has struggled against, they are teams that can make turnovers on those floaters through speed and coverage. That will be key in the playoffs.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Don't worry, you've got the playoffs to revisit that dream.
    Very very true......

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Peyton has no competition from Luck. That award goes to a player on a team with one of the best records in football.... Manning may win out from here or lose one game. Luck plays the Texas and unless the Texans have home field clinched, they won't win either of those games in spite of your guarantee. They won't beat New England either and Detroit will be a tough road game for them.... ...
    The Broncos don't have anymore wins than the Colts. As of now. Why Manning is getting more credit for an already good Bronco team that has the same record as a rookie QB who has led his absolutely awful team to the same amount of wins is sort of baffling.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    The Broncos don't have anymore wins than the Colts. As of now. Why Manning is getting more credit for an already good Bronco team that has the same record as a rookie QB who has led his absolutely awful team to the same amount of wins is sort of baffling.
    You can't really compare the two anyways

Manning provides stability to the QB position something despite Tebow's comebacks he never really provided. The Colts have the last place schedule I don't know if they could really hang with the better teams of the league they did get blown out by the Bears and Jets of all teams.

I think if Manning were here we'd have beaten Jacksonville at home(maybe Jets) but still wouldn't change anything come January this team is not an elite one.

The Broncos went from good to elite with Manning and an improved D

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    You can't really compare the two anyways

Manning provides stability to the QB position something despite Tebow's comebacks he never really provided. The Colts have the last place schedule I don't know if they could really hang with the better teams of the league they did get blown out by the Bears and Jets of all teams.

I think if Manning were here we'd have beaten Jacksonville at home(maybe Jets) but still wouldn't change anything come January this team is not an elite one.

The Broncos went from good to elite with Manning and an improved D

The Broncos haven't done any better than the Colts against the good teams. The Falcons, Texans, and Pats all had fairly comfortable victories over the Broncos.

As far as the Jets loss is concerned, that's just the NFL for you. We are much better now than we were then and the Jets are much worse. The Jets were 2-3 when they played us and were trying to save their season. The Colts beat the Dolphins, who killed the Jets last week. The Colts were obviously killed by the Jets when they played them. This week, the Dolphins got killed by the Titans, who the Colts beat. That's just the NFL for ya.

The Bears are a pretty damn good team. That was Luck's first game ever. We were never going to win that game. But we have beat the Packers and Vikings, who are both solid teams. The Dolphins also looked decent at the time when we played them.

Manning now has 423 TDs thus far and is tied with Elway for most wins of all time.

McGahee to IR: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eason-is-over/

doesn't help Denver's chances

hate to see season-ending injuries

edit: OK, new twist. He can return after 8 weeks. meaning, if they make it to the AFCCG.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-championship/
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 11-21-2012 at 12:50 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/86...denver-broncos

RB gets Peyton Manning autograph

Updated: November 27, 2012, 4:13 PM ET
    ESPN.com news services
    Email
    Print

Jamaal Charles Gets Peyton Manning Autograph

Marcellus Wiley doesn't think it is a big deal that Jamaal Charles asked for Peyton Manning's autograph following a loss.Tags: Marcellus Wiley, Autograph, Charles-Manning, Manning-Charles

Kansas City Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles apparently was so impressed with Peyton Manning's performance against his team that he asked for the quarterback's autograph after the game.

Williamson: Not A Big Deal

NFL players getting autographs from one another is more common than you might think, ESPN.com's Bill Williamson writes. Blog

• Vote: OK to get autograph?

In its postgame report, KCTV aired video of Charles waiting for Manning as he departed the stadium to get his autograph. Manning rallied the AFC West-leading Denver Broncos to their eighth win of the season as the last-place Chiefs dropped their eighth straight game.

"My mom wanted this autograph," he told the television station.

Charles, in a tweet Tuesday afternoon, thanked his Twitter followers for their support by writing, "Thank for the support and relax on the P Manning story, just two warriors showing each other respect..."

Receiver Dwayne Bowe, meanwhile, got his picture taken with Manning after Sunday's game.

"It's Peyton Manning," he said. "Who wouldn't want a picture with him?"

Mike and Mike in the Morning

Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic react to the report that Jamaal Charles asked Peyton Manning for an autograph following Broncos-Chiefs. Plus, ESPN's Buster Olney weighs in.

More Podcasts »

Bowe, who is scheduled to be a free agent after the season and is playing this year under the Chiefs' franchise tag, was asked whether he'd like to catch passes from the future Hall of Famer as well.

"That, too, but right now the best thing I have is a picture," he told KCTV.

Charles had 23 rushes for 107 yards in the Chiefs' 17-9 loss. Bowe caught four passes for 41 yards.

Former Chiefs player Rich Baldinger, who was in KCTV's studio after the segment aired, took offense to Kansas City's two biggest offensive stars' actions.

Baldinger, a former offensive lineman who played in 12 NFL seasons, said he never asked for an autograph during his playing career.

"I don't understand it at that moment," he said. "They were smiling and laughing after the loss like that today. I just think it just goes to show what this team's about. I don't know if winning's really that important."

Charles, however, got support from another top NFL running back Tuesday.

Texans running back Arian Foster tweeted that he got Charles' autograph at the 2010 Pro Bowl, and that he exchanges with players "damn near every game."

Schefter sez the MVP race is down to two people, and you know who they are.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/...hefter-10-spot

I think his article shortchanges Tom Brady in only noting TD/INT ratio as the one (HUGE) advantage he has on Manning. QB rating, total QBR, win/loss record, historic productivity of the Patriots offense (averaging more points than 2007!), and the head-to-head result are also all in his favor. There's even the insinuation that Brady's had a worse season than last year due to the higher number of passing yards he had last year. Put this years ground attack on last years team, or last year's ground attack on this year's team, and the numbers would equalize. He's having as good a season as ever and has the ability (and willingness!) to hand off to the guys scoring the most rushing touchdowns in the league.

The stretch run for the Patriots is a serious challenge to their recent run of scoring points in bunches- 4 top 10 teams in scoring defense: Houston, San Francisco, and two games vs. Miami (don't laugh, their D is pretty good), and a breather with Jacksonville. The Broncos meanwhile have a number of well below-average defensive teams: KC twice, Cleveland, Oakland, plus a tough one in Baltimore.

Thus the Manning/Brady MVP race could get tighter (logically it has to favor Brady right now, other then the "feel-good comeback" angle)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te...sition/defense
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Brady doesn't have Manning on W/L. They are both 8-3.

Brady's playing great, as usual. And you're right about how they've utilized the running game in NE. Ridley is a beast and was maybe my best fantasy pick this year (as far as value is concerned). No one could argue with Brady getting the MVP.

But Manning's comeback is one of the best sports comeback stories ever, and you could say that he's having the best season of his career outside of 2004. He transformed Denver from a mediocre team that went 8-8 last year to one that is 8-3 and should win its division with ease. That's the epitome of an MVP.

While Denver has easy matchups down the stretch, you have to remember that they had some brutal matchups in the early part of the season against Houston, Atlanta, and NE. They lost all three of those, but that was back when Manning was still getting used to playing for a new team and with new personnel. Not to mention the fact that it was his first serious competition since getting surgery. But Manning and the Broncos are both much much much better than they were in September.

I'd go Manning right now, though I'm biased. But a lot of it depends on how both teams do down the stretch.

Apparently this kid plays hockey though not football...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...with-same-name

Peyton Manning meets Colorado boy with same name

You might remember our post in which we dug into the plight of young Peyton Manning, a 14-year-old Littleton, Colo., boy who was dealing with identity problems caused by his super-famous namesake.

In a storyline that sounded ripped from the plot of a straight-to-video sequel to "The Social Network," young Peyton Manning couldn't even get Facebook to let him use his own name in creating a profile. You're better than that, Zuckerberg.

Well, we suppose this story has a happy ending, because young Peyton Manning met the, um, old Peyton Manning on Friday at Denver Broncos practice. The visual proof was provided by a Broncos PR guy.

According to The Associated Press, the quarterback signed a football that read: "To Peyton, great name. All my best, your friend, Peyton Manning, 18."

The lesson? Name your kid after a famous contemporary athlete. He'll probably meet him one day.

Manning's comeback is one of the best sports comeback stories ever
    which is should win comeback player of the year. But warm and fuzzy feelings shouldn't matter in the MVP vote

He transformed Denver from a mediocre team that went 8-8 last year to one that is 8-3 and should win its division with ease.
    You could also say he took over a team that won its division last year, and that even won a playoff game, going 8-5 after installing a truly horrible QB as the starter. Now they have further strengthened their defense to make it one of the very best in the league. Denver at no point was mediocre. Tebow was less than mediocre, but Peyton walked into a great situation

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    which is should win comeback player of the year. But warm and fuzzy feelings shouldn't matter in the MVP vote
    No, but Manning having what is probably the second best season of his decorated career should matter in the MVP vote. It's not like he's come back and just played "very well". Instead, he has come back and played even better than most of his seasons in Indy. Denver was "decent" last year, but Manning has made them much much better.

I don't see why "logically it has to favor Brady right now". Their records are identical. Brady has a tiny edge in yards and passer rating. Manning has a tiny edge in touchdowns and completion percentages. Brady has a decent edge in interceptions, as he has 3 to Manning's 8. However, 3 of Manning's 8 came in the Atlanta game. Maybe I'm making an excuse for him, but that was just his second game back from a brutal injury/surgery that cost him the entire season last year. Plus he was on a brand new team and working with new personnel. It's clear that the Manning playing right now is much much better than the Manning who played in Atlanta. Heck, after that game, people were already ready to write him off. You hear no such talk now.

I think it's virtually tied right now, and I have no problem with giving Brady the MVP, as I said. But I'm not going to hand it to Brady right now just because he has 5 less interceptions, when they have identical records and virtually all of their other statistics are practically the same.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-01-2012 at 11:17 PM.

Manning is dissecting the Raiders tonight, which isn't the least bit surprising. I love watching him play.

Manning is dissecting the Raiders tonight, which isn't the least bit surprising. I love watching him play.
    When I said that, I thought Peyton was about to make it 20-0. But he threw a pick right after that. 13-7 Broncos in the third.

26-13 final score it was probably closer than it should've been but the Raiders D came to play tonight their offense? Not so much.

Jaws on "Mike and Mike" a minute ago: "I think the best quarterback in the league is Peyton Manning."

Manning is on his way to throwing the second most touchdowns in his career. He had 49 in 2004. He had 33 three times: 2000, 2009, 2010. He is at 30 right now with three games left, so he should easily put up the second most in his career this season.

They're on a 10 game winning streak and in an ironic twist need a victory and the Colts to beat the Texans to secure HFA

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ironic but very possible I might add.

Don't know if the Texans have been on a meltdown lately after the New England pounding but they weren't good against us either. They should thank Moore for that ridiculous fumble 1yd away from the end zone and the stupidity ( in that game) of our special teams. Now they lost to Vikings at home.
    Last edited by Johanvil; 12-25-2012 at 04:57 AM.