Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Broncos/Manning 2012-2013 Season Thread

Banned

Default Re: Broncos/Manning 2012-2013 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Broncos put up 35 points. The Ravens should never score 38.
    The Ravens should have never score with less than a minute left.

1-1 in the Super Bowl.
    So was Brett Favre

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

14 of the 35 Broncos points were off of special teams returns. Manning's offense only put up 21 points in over 5 quarters of play. Manning's pick six is also responsible for 7 of the 38 Ravens points. His pick at the end also set them up in nice position for the field goal. Manning's turnovers contributed to Baltimore getting points.

Manning didn't play that great. He wasn't awful, but he didn't make enough plays at the end and turned the ball over in his own territory at the end of the game.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

As far as I'm concerned, this past week ends any debate about the Luck decision.

There is no NFL executive who would currently take RGIII over Luck right now with the question marks that surround RGIII. None.

Peyton Manning, with a loaded team and the number one seed, couldn't make a play at the end and threw an untimely pick in the first playoff game of the season. An ending all too familiar for Colts fans. Keeping Manning would have only been worth it if we made it back to the Super Bowl, and it's hard to say that we would have after watching him tonight.

We made the right decision dumping Manning and drafting Luck.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-13-2013 at 01:46 AM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

1-1 in the Super Bowl.

Which is why he will certainly go down as a top 5-10 QB of all time. But all of the failures I listed are what prevent him from being top 3 or the greatest ever.

It doesn't really matter. I think it's obvious to anyone that watched that the Broncos screwed up in many ways that don't involve Peyton at all. But at the end of the day, he had chances to close the game out and he didn't. I'm not saying that makes the loss "all his fault" or anything like that. But the opportunities were there for the taking, and he didn't capitalize. In the past I would have marked that up to poor team design by Polian (too small, built for the regular season) or dumb mistakes by Caldwell, or whatever . . . and certainly, you can still play that game and make a valid argument. But I, personally, am over it. Peyton had a winnable game in front of him and he didn't take it. It sucks. But it is what it is. He's gone one-and-done often enough that there's not really any looking around it any longer.
    Last edited by SoupIsGood; 01-13-2013 at 01:35 AM.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, this past week ends any debate about the Luck decision.

There is no NFL executive who would currently take RGIII over Luck right now with the question marks that surround RGIII. None.

Peyton Manning, with a loaded team and the number one seed, couldn't make a play at the end and threw an untimely pick in the first playoff game of the season. An ending all too familiar for Colts fans. Keeping Manning would have only been worth it if we made it back to the Super Bowl and it's hard to say that we would have after watching him tonight.

We made the right decision dumping Manning and drafting Luck.
    Sadly, yeah. Manning will always be a Colt in my heart and one of my foremost personal role models. (As silly as it may be to admit to a sports star being a role model.) And I'll be rooting for him to win a superbowl or two before his career is done. But Luck . . . I wouldn't swap the rest of his career for two more MVP years of Manning.

Props to Irsay for having the vision to see this and the guts to execute. I was one of the many who were emotionally overinvested and wanted to give up #18 over my cold dead hands . . .
    Last edited by SoupIsGood; 01-13-2013 at 01:46 AM.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

This game came down to making the big plays. The Ravens made the big plays when they need to...the touchdown to tie the game and the interception to set up the game winning field goal. The Broncos didn't make the big plays on offense or defense. That was the difference in the game today.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Got to be able to run the ball better and stop the run better when it is 13 degrees. Not really sure how Manning helps or hurts with either of those factors.

A cold, bad weather playoff game? Flacco is now 7-4 lifetime in the playoffs, 7-2 when not playing the Steelers (mostly of his playoff wins are road wins), because he's had the fortune of QB'ing a complete team built to run and stop the run when the weather isn't ideal.

You can make a big play, and you need to make big plays. But you also need to be able to make stops and grind it out.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

14 of the 35 Broncos points were off of special teams returns. Manning's offense only put up 21 points in over 5 quarters of play. Manning's pick six is also responsible for 7 of the 38 Ravens points. His pick at the end also set them up in nice position for the field goal. Manning's turnovers contributed to Baltimore getting points.

Manning didn't play that great. He wasn't awful, but he didn't make enough plays at the end and turned the ball over in his own territory at the end of the game.
    I don't disagree with the rest of what you say but I disagree with the bolded part. Manning is the last person to blame for that pick 6. The referees are to blame.

So, anyone want to guess how many Tebowites will come out of the woodwork on Denver sports talk radio this week?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Denver's defense gave up THREE deep ball touchdowns in this game, thats what lost the game in my opinion
    Fire up that tank and drive it to the draft

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Felt sorry for Peyton yesterday. Not making excuses for him though. His playoff record is what it is and the last pick he threw was a really poor decision (throwing the ball across his body). The first pick was a blatant PI.

Still can't get over 2 things. Why they didn't go for the pass on the 3rd down but instead chose to run. Yes they saved some seconds but are you gonna tell me it was that much of a risk to throw it? It wasn't 3rd and long. The other one of course, is Ravens' TD that tied the game and the stupidity of the the Broncos safety and CB. Besides the fact that you just can't give up such a big play with few seconds remaining on the clock, what was he thinking and didn't close down the receiver earlier? You know they are going deep, go and stay with him right away. Unbelievable. Was rooting for Broncos last night, due to Peyton, and was extremely pissed off.

What's even more worse, is the big possibility now that the Pats are gonna have another SB appearance. Arghh!
    Last edited by Johanvil; 01-13-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Got to be able to run the ball better and stop the run better when it is 13 degrees. Not really sure how Manning helps or hurts with either of those factors.

A cold, bad weather playoff game? Flacco is now 7-4 lifetime in the playoffs, 7-2 when not playing the Steelers (mostly of his playoff wins are road wins), because he's had the fortune of QB'ing a complete team built to run and stop the run when the weather isn't ideal.

You can make a big play, and you need to make big plays. But you also need to be able to make stops and grind it out.
    Big plays were the reason Baltimore won the game. Two Flacco bombs to Torry Smith that resulted in touchdowns. The 70 yard touchdown reception to Jones at the end of the fourth. That 32 yard Ray Rice run that set up a touchdown in the fourth quarter. The pick six on Manning in the beginning. Not being able to grind it out and run the ball cost Denver in the end, but Baltimore basically won this game off of big plays. The cold weather might have affected Manning's ability to throw it far in the cold, but it didn't phase Flacco.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    What's even more worse, is the big possibility now that the Pats are gonna have another SB appearance. Arghh!
    I think this gritty Baltimore team has just as good a chance of beating the Pats as the Broncos did, assuming the Pats win today. The Ravens always play the Pats close. They beat them this year and were a Lee Evans drop away from beating them in the AFC Championship game last year. Flacco completely outplayed Brady in that AFC Championship game. The cold weather clearly doesn't affect his ability to launch it, as he showed yesterday.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

If Denver's D would have played that prevent and three man rush better at the end of the fourth, it wouldn't have came down to that interception in OT. Oh well, it is what it is. Lets all just hope Houston can beat N.E., wishful thinking

Here's a sobering stat: Since winning the Super Bowl against the Bears six years ago, Peyton has won just two playoff games in five seasons (sat out 2011). Both of those two wins were in 2009 en route to the Super Bowl (Ravens, Jets).
    Can you really blame the Jets lose on him, though? (His last playoff game where he did enough to win and caldwell/defense blew it)

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think this gritty Baltimore team has just as good a chance of beating the Pats as the Broncos did, assuming the Pats win today. The Ravens always play the Pats close. They beat them this year and were a Lee Evans drop away from beating them in the AFC Championship game last year. Flacco completely outplayed Brady in that AFC Championship game. The cold weather clearly doesn't affect his ability to launch it, as he showed yesterday.
    Not doubting that Baltimore can win at Foxborough (although i think their chances will be thin) but their earlier win against N.E. doesn't mean anything. Playoffs are a completely different beast.

My point is, it shouldn't have had to be strictly on Peyton. The defense should never have given up anywhere near 38 points. Hell, the Colts only gave up 24 in Baltimore.

I will agree that the late INT was a killer, but again, it should never have been that close.

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    Can you really blame the Jets lose on him, though? (His last playoff game where he did enough to win and caldwell/defense blew it)
    Oh no, I'm not blaming everything on him. But when he held up the Lombardi trophy in Miami, who would have ever thought that he would win just two playoff games over the next six years?

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

of course you can. the defense did mess up at the end, but Peyton didn't do enough earlier in the game. if i can remember, Peyton only threw the ball once or twice to his HOF receiver Reggie Wayne. You gotta give the ball to your play makers in playoff games, and Peyton didn't
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    of course you can. the defense did mess up at the end, but Peyton didn't do enough earlier in the game. if i can remember, Peyton only threw the ball once or twice to his HOF receiver Reggie Wayne. You gotta give the ball to your play makers in playoff games, and Peyton didn't
    Wasn't Revis playing excellent coverage on Wayne?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Yeah, Revis was pretty much the DPOY at the time. No one in their right mind was throwing TOWARDS him.

Revis Island

Yeah, Revis was pretty much the DPOY at the time. No one in their right mind was throwing TOWARDS him.
    Another convenient excuse to rationalize a poor showing by Manning. I understand that Revis was dominant, but I refuse to believe that he was better than both a HOF QB and HOF WR. Revis was beaten that year anyways by Randy Moss, and Peyton Manning should have found a way to get his all-pro WR the ball.
    David "And One" West