Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos/Manning 2012-2013 Season Thread

Default Broncos/Manning 2012-2013 Season Thread

I'm starting this thread to have a place to discuss the Broncos and/or Manning this season. It seems to me that will be a topic that will overwhelm any other 'around the NFL' type threads.

And on that note let me start by saying... Manning looked pretty good carving up the Steeler defense.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Broncos/Manning 2012-2013 Season Thread

How weird is it having Peyton and Champ Bailey on the same team? Maybe the two best individual players on either side of the ball the past ten years. I know that topic of who is best offensive player or defensive player is up for debate, but this has to be the best combo.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How weird is it having Peyton and Champ Bailey on the same team? Maybe the two best individual players on either side of the ball the past ten years. I know that topic of who is best offensive player or defensive player is up for debate, but this has to be the best combo.

It is also kind of weird having Manning and Tracy Porter on the same team.

Good idea on the creation of the thread Bball.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Great Idea, hopefully come around February we are discussing Peyton winning a second ring and helping to settle the debate about who the best QB of his generation was.

Actually heard somebody say that Eli was a better QB a few months ago.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

If Manning can maintain his health he might as well win some more SB's while he's at it. Be a nice capper to a HoF career.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Broncos are a legit contender with a healthy Manning.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

He did look good but if Manning wins an SB or two with the Broncos it will be a bad case of deja vu

And I'll be convinced that Andrew Luck late in his career will end up being tossed aside by the Colts and defect to the Broncos too..

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

He looked great running the no huddle. We were missing two of our better starters and without Harrison's knee we were unable to put any pressure on him, and with Troy playing further away from the line due to Clark's sickle-cell, we gave him a lot to work with and he easiliy identified our weaknesses in spite of efforts to disguise them and took advantage of it.

I'll especially give him credit for this, he used the running game quite well when we gave it to him. We've given it (running lanes) to him before and he insisted on trying to beat us in the air. Not so on Sunday night.

I'm still not sold on his arm yet, I didn't think his thows were as consistently crisp as we've seen from him (one or two exceptions, the off-foot throw to the sideline comes to mind) and he didn't need to attempt a single risky pass into tight coverage. The 71-yarder to Thomas was all on Thomas on the electrifying run after catch. That play changed the game in the third quarter. Manning found gaps to make plays that were not high risk. His brain had one of its best games ever against LeBeau.

I think LeBeau might change to tighter coverage if he had a chance to do it again, but the handoffs from the nohuddle really caused us more problems than Denver's running game with Tebow gave us in January.

After the last two games, we've got the Broncos where we want them: off the schedule for a while!
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Just to hard right now to talk Peyton!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Banned

If Tebow looked decent on that team I expect Peyton to look amazing, good decision by him in signing with them instead of Miami.

I did find it interesting that NBC reported that his rehab was ongoing.

------

-John Wooden

I didn't watch the entire game. Collinsworth make any acknowledgement about his belief that Peyton wasn't ever going to play again?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Just to hard right now to talk Peyton!
    He didn't die.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    He looked great running the no huddle. We were missing two of our better starters and without Harrison's knee we were unable to put any pressure on him, and with Troy playing further away from the line due to Clark's sickle-cell, we gave him a lot to work with and he easiliy identified our weaknesses in spite of efforts to disguise them and took advantage of it.

I'll especially give him credit for this, he used the running game quite well when we gave it to him. We've given it (running lanes) to him before and he insisted on trying to beat us in the air. Not so on Sunday night.

I'm still not sold on his arm yet, I didn't think his thows were as consistently crisp as we've seen from him (one or two exceptions, the off-foot throw to the sideline comes to mind) and he didn't need to attempt a single risky pass into tight coverage. The 71-yarder to Thomas was all on Thomas on the electrifying run after catch. That play changed the game in the third quarter. Manning found gaps to make plays that were not high risk. His brain had one of its best games ever against LeBeau.

I think LeBeau might change to tighter coverage if he had a chance to do it again, but the handoffs from the nohuddle really caused us more problems than Denver's running game with Tebow gave us in January.

After the last two games, we've got the Broncos where we want them: off the schedule for a while!

Solid analysis.

As an outsider, do you think that the Colts did the right thing by releasing him?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Solid analysis.

As an outsider, do you think that the Colts did the right thing by releasing him?

Yes, for two reasons.

One, I think a lot of LBs and DEs would love to put a really solid hit on him, and the type of injury he's recovering from scares me for someone playing tackle football. I know he found some doctors to clear him but along the way there others that wouldn't clear him.

#2, outside of him, your talent level had fallen quite a bit since the mid-2000's. He might single-handedly get this current team to 7-9, 6-10, something like that, but as we've talked about regarding the Pacers, some times you're just better off getting that high draft pick than aim for 0.500 for a few seasons.

If the rest of your roster looked like a SB contender, then you'd take your chances with Manning. But you were in need of a rebuild, and he needed to find a team that was just a QB away from contending. Denver was in the playoffs last year in spite of Tebow, it was and is the perfect situation for him. You've never heard me say, "just put a scrub in there at QB". You need somebody better than Tebow but on a well-balanced team.

If Manning stays healthy, we might be looking at a Baltimore-Denver matchup come January.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Banned

Yes, for two reasons.

One, I think a lot of LBs and DEs would love to put a really solid hit on him, and the type of injury he's recovering from scares me for someone playing tackle football. I know he found some doctors to clear him but along the way there others that wouldn't clear him.

#2, outside of him, your talent level had fallen quite a bit since the mid-2000's. He might single-handedly get this current team to 7-9, 6-10, something like that, but as we've talked about regarding the Pacers, some times you're just better off getting that high draft pick than aim for 0.500 for a few seasons.

If the rest of your roster looked like a SB contender, then you'd take your chances with Manning. But you were in need of a rebuild, and he needed to find a team that was just a QB away from contending. Denver was in the playoffs last year in spite of Tebow, it was and is the perfect situation for him. You've never heard me say, "just put a scrub in there at QB". You need somebody better than Tebow but on a well-balanced team.

If Manning stays healthy, we might be looking at a Baltimore-Denver matchup come January.
    And this ad more to what I was saying, about why I like Irsay, he had a chance to stay in the middle for the next few years and instead decided to rebuild and let Peyton freaking Manning go, you need an owner with huge cojones to do something like that.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 09-12-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I did find it interesting that NBC reported that his rehab was ongoing.
    That's not surprising even he said he's not where he wants to be(whatever that means) fortunately for him on the Broncos he doesn't need to do as much compared to here since he does have a run game and an above average D.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    And this ad more to what I was saying, about why I like Polian, he had a chance to stay in the middle for the next few years and instead decided to rebuild and let Peyton freaking Manning go, you need an owner with huge cojones to do something like that.
    vnzla81 likes Polian!!!

.... I know.... You had a momentary loss of sanity....

------

-John Wooden

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Now that the Manning era is over, I've been pinching myself over how lucky we were to watch this dude every year. And yes, I took it for granted. I think most people probably did. Every year, you went into the season knowing that the Colts would get a bunch of prime time games and national focus. Every year, you knew that you would win the division and at least contend for the championship. Every year, you got to watch this guy carve up a bunch of inferior teams who looked like they didn't belong on the same field at times. Every year, you knew that the star of your team would be in a bunch of goofy commercials that were broadcast for the entire country.

Sure there were some disappointments and I think most fans will always feel that we should have achieved a little bit more. But for that one moment, in early 2007, we were at the top of the sports world. That second half against the Patriots in the AFC championship game was without question the best moment of my entire life as a sports fan and I don't think anything could ever top it. We at least know what it is like to be a fan of an NFL team that won a Super Bowl, and there are a lot of fans who cannot say that.

The horseshoe will always come first to me, but I am definitely going to be watching Peyton closely this year. I wish him all the best and will be rooting for him every game. I hope he plays until he's 40.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-12-2012 at 10:12 PM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I would say that our running game has been pretty awful the last 5+ years and that there weren't really a lot of lanes available due to poor running back play and poor offensive line play. Peyton probably felt compelled to throw because that was the only way we could win. In Denver, he has a great offensive line with superior running back talent than we had here. I always felt that Peyton would have loved to have a proper running game, and when Edge was around, we played to better potential than we have since he left and Tarik retired.

I can't wait to watch him play. My hope is that Peyton wins a couple SBs within the next few years, and then our Colts (+Luck) become good enough to win SBs after that. Would be the perfect scenario.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I would say that our running game has been pretty awful the last 5+ years and that there weren't really a lot of lanes available due to poor running back play and poor offensive line play. Peyton probably felt compelled to throw because that was the only way we could win. In Denver, he has a great offensive line with superior running back talent than we had here. I always felt that Peyton would have loved to have a proper running game, and when Edge was around, we played to better potential than we have since he left and Tarik retired.

I can't wait to watch him play. My hope is that Peyton wins a couple SBs within the next few years, and then our Colts (+Luck) become good enough to win SBs after that. Would be the perfect scenario.

If memory serves me right, the Addai/Rhodes combo in 2006 was EXTREMELY effective. That was the year after Edge left and we really didn't seem to miss a beat. Rhodes was huge throughout the post season, particularly in the Super Bowl, but we didn't re-sign him after that season. Addai was very effective in the first half of 2007, but he simply never became as good as many were hoping. That's not to say he wasn't good, because he was. But I think we were all hoping for a bit more. In Manning's last three seasons, 08-10, the running game was pretty lacking.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-13-2012 at 03:36 PM.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Uh, Bill Polian isn't the one who made the decision to let Peyton go.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

If memory serves me right, the Addai/Rhodes combo in 2006 was EXTREMELY effective. That was the year after Edge left and we really didn't seem to miss a bit. Rhodes was huge throughout the post season, particularly in the Super Bowl, but we didn't re-sign him after that season. Addai was very effective in the first half of 2007, but he simply never became as good as many were hoping. That's not to say he wasn't good, because he was. But I think we were all hoping for a bit more. In Manning's last three seasons, 08-10, the running game was pretty lacking.

I agree with that. But I don't think the Addai/Rhodes combo was great until the playoffs started. Addai did a serviceable job but wasn't a scary running threat.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    vnzla81 likes Polian!!!

.... I know.... You had a momentary loss of sanity....
    my bad I meant to say Jim Irsay

If memory serves me right, the Addai/Rhodes combo in 2006 was EXTREMELY effective. That was the year after Edge left and we really didn't seem to miss a bit. Rhodes was huge throughout the post season, particularly in the Super Bowl, but we didn't re-sign him after that season. Addai was very effective in the first half of 2007, but he simply never became as good as many were hoping. That's not to say he wasn't good, because he was. But I think we were all hoping for a bit more. In Manning's last three seasons, 08-10, the running game was pretty lacking.

You could make a decent argument that Rhodes should've had a SB MVP. But really, there was no chance anyone other than Manning was winning the SB MVP as long as the team won....

Still Rhodes had a great SB.

------

-John Wooden

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: