Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53

Thread: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

  1. #1

    Default How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    i read an article that said he thought Vontae Davis played awful and had a horrible game, i disagreed with that. I thought him and Jerraud Powers both played reasonably well. Considering Jay Cutler had all day to throw the ball the receivers were going to get open eventually. do you think he played bad?

  2. #2
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,057

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    Quote Originally Posted by AugustinGrangerHill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i read an article that said he thought Vontae Davis played awful and had a horrible game, i disagreed with that. I thought him and Jerraud Powers both played reasonably well. Considering Jay Cutler had all day to throw the ball the receivers were going to get open eventually. do you think he played bad?
    I don't think he played awful. He didn't play great (no one on the defensive side of the ball did), and you kind of have to grade him on a curve since he's only been with the team for like three weeks. I would give him a C.

  3. #3
    can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,326

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    He was fine. No DB's going to look very good behind our crap front 7 that got no pressure after the first couple drives. He's been here like a week and a half and played almost every snap and didn't get embarrassed or anything, that's good enough for me.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  5. #4

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    Well his play today makes you wonder why the Colts traded for him. However you have to keep in mind the points others have already made, no pressure by the Colts and Davis is still new to the team. Plus he seemed to be matched up with Brandon Marshall most of the game. Does anyone ever look good against that guy?

  6. #5
    - .-- ... ... Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Timbuktupolis, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,235
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    Quote Originally Posted by AugustinGrangerHill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i read an article that said he thought Vontae Davis played awful and had a horrible game, i disagreed with that. I thought him and Jerraud Powers both played reasonably well. Considering Jay Cutler had all day to throw the ball the receivers were going to get open eventually. do you think he played bad?
    Link if you don't mind?
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)


    Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

  7. #6
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,404

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    Anyone publishing a rash evaluation on Davis after two weeks with the team and in this system... and against Brandon Marshall.... just isn't someone you want to pay much heed to. Of course he didn't look like Revis out there, but he didn't play horribly. We gotta give him at least a good month, probly longer. The man didn't have an off-season with this team, so he was literally thrown into the frying pan at the last minute.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  8. #7

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Link if you don't mind?
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-week-1/page/3

    here is the link

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to AugustinGrangerHill For This Useful Post:


  10. #8
    Star Platinum Hypnotiq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,960

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    bleacher report

    lol....

  11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,424
    Mood

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    He looked fine considering everything the kid has gone through and getting thrown in right away. We really need upgrades in our front seven. I think we would have been better if Angerer were in there, but that is just one spot. I think this year will be long for our defense when playing high caliber offenses. I think we will be addressing the front seven in next year's draft and free agency. Give Davis some time to get acquainted to his teammates, get the scheme down, and get better with the coaching staff. I see him as much more value than what we traded to get him.

  13. #10
    Your Daddy RobRoy317's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Age
    21
    Posts
    128

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    Extremely poor.
    "What you are witnessing right now is the old Danny Granger of old!!" - Chris Denari 01/01/2014

  14. #11
    Batman's New Side Kick Psyren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy317 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Extremely poor.
    He really did not play extremely poor.

    As stated above, any corner will struggle when an opposing QB has 6 seconds to find a receiver on every single play.

    Davis was fine. Not great or even good. But he was not awful.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:


  16. #12
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,189

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He looked fine considering everything the kid has gone through and getting thrown in right away. We really need upgrades in our front seven. I think we would have been better if Angerer were in there, but that is just one spot. I think this year will be long for our defense when playing high caliber offenses. I think we will be addressing the front seven in next year's draft and free agency. Give Davis some time to get acquainted to his teammates, get the scheme down, and get better with the coaching staff. I see him as much more value than what we traded to get him.
    He's had what, a week or two to learn a playbook, understand the scheme, practice, etc. Ask me again in week 6

  17. #13
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,858

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    He got beat really bad on the deep TD, other than that I thought he and Powers were Ok-ish.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  18. #14
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,800
    Mood

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    Davis made a nice leg tackle (5 T)... couldn't stop his receiver in any way. He was quicker to call his grandma then he was to defend his receiver (0 PD).

    Powers made 6 T and 2 PD. He was involved in alot more plays, unfortunately he got burned for more then he stopped.

    But hey, as some would say, it's the Bears and well, they are an offensive juggernaut and our boyz will get better throughout the season. /green
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  19. #15
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,057

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But hey, as some would say, it's the Bears and well, they are an offensive juggernaut and our boyz will get better throughout the season. /green
    I can't wait to hear what have to say after we beat Minnesota in week 2. I'm guessing, "uhdhh ya they got luckey and minnesota is worst team ever in football honestly each team prob wins 1 game all year"

  20. #16

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Davis made a nice leg tackle (5 T)... couldn't stop his receiver in any way. He was quicker to call his grandma then he was to defend his receiver (0 PD).

    Powers made 6 T and 2 PD. He was involved in alot more plays, unfortunately he got burned for more then he stopped.

    But hey, as some would say, it's the Bears and well, they are an offensive juggernaut and our boyz will get better throughout the season. /green
    I will be convinced that everything you say is correct about our DBs if we see the same thing for the next 4-5 weeks. Until that mid October date i am willing to believe that our corners will be better than they appeared yesterday.

  21. #17
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,800
    Mood

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will be convinced that everything you say is correct about our DBs if we see the same thing for the next 4-5 weeks. Until that mid October date i am willing to believe that our corners will be better than they appeared yesterday.
    I didn't make that crap up...it's taking right off the NFL.com stats...so, start believing. I wish they done better, but they didn't!
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  22. #18
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,800
    Mood

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't wait to hear what have to say after we beat Minnesota in week 2. I'm guessing, "uhdhh ya they got luckey and minnesota is worst team ever in football honestly each team prob wins 1 game all year"
    I can't wait either, I hope we do beat the Vikings, but they have a guy named Peterson that is gonna railroad the defense, unless the Colts have a master plan that we haven't seen yet that can stop AP!
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  23. #19
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,404

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Davis made a nice leg tackle (5 T)... couldn't stop his receiver in any way. He was quicker to call his grandma then he was to defend his receiver (0 PD).

    Powers made 6 T and 2 PD. He was involved in alot more plays, unfortunately he got burned for more then he stopped.

    But hey, as some would say, it's the Bears and well, they are an offensive juggernaut and our boyz will get better throughout the season. /green

    Ummmmm .... you are aware that is a pretty good stat line for corners, right? They don't rack up 10 tackles and 6 PDs and 2 interceptions every game. Revis averaged about 3 tackles and 1.3 PDs a game last year, and he's the best in the game.

    6 tackles and 2 PDs is, statistically, up there pretty high for a corner. Powers was pretty damned good. Davis did well also if you consider he was just acquired less than two weeks before he played for us. So not exactly sure you proved a point there, at least statistically. If you wanna claim they got burned a few times, well, you may have an argument there, but Brandon Marshall is gonna burn you here and there, that's just hte nature of the game. There are no true "shut-down" corners in this day and age of enabling receivers and reduced hand-checking, etc... Just ones who have reduced burns.

    Linebackers pretty much rule the tackle department, due to the fact they are typically instructed to go for the ball... corners are usually left on islands and just have way less opportunities to get those precious tackle numbers.

    And ya.... the Bears may not be a juggernaut, but they are no slouches, either. Cutler, putz that he is, can air it out, and Marshall is a beast. Alshon is gonna be a force on the other side. Bush and Forte are easily better than anything we have on this roster at their positions.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-10-2012 at 10:06 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  24. #20
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,800
    Mood

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ummmmm .... you are aware that is a pretty good stat line for corners, right? They don't rack up 10 tackles and 6 PDs and 2 interceptions every game. Revis averaged about 3 tackles and 1.3 PDs a game last year, and he's the best in the game.

    6 tackles and 2 PDs is, statistically, up there pretty high for a corner. Powers was pretty damned good. Davis did well also if you consider he was just acquired less than two weeks before he played for us. So not exactly sure you proved a point there, at least statistically. If you wanna claim they got burned a few times, well, you may have an argument there, but Brandon Marshall is gonna burn you here and there, that's just hte nature of the game. There are no true "shut-down" corners in this day and age of enabling receivers and reduced hand-checking, etc... Just ones who have reduced burns.

    Linebackers pretty much rule the tackle department, due to the fact they are typically instructed to go for the ball... corners are usually left on islands and just have way less opportunities to get those precious tackle numbers.

    And ya.... the Bears may not be a juggernaut, but they are no slouches, either. Cutler, putz that he is, can air it out, and Marshall is a beast. Alshon is gonna be a force on the other side. Bush and Forte are easily better than anything we have on this roster at their positions.
    First, I'm not saying that their numbers aren't good or average or poor. Powers activity was high in the game due to the fact that the Bears wasn't afraid to throw his way. That is the point of my statement. 6 T and 2 PD is good numbers, unfortunately it didn't stop there, they threw his way all to often and he was burned way to much.

    I think Davis actually played better as they didn't throw his way as often for the simple fact that Davis had his man covered much tighter, however, even when he was challenged he never even got his hand on the ball or hit his man / ball / arm(s) in a way to stop the catch.

    As for the quicker to call his grandma...I laughed...sorry you took it so serious!
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  25. #21

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't make that crap up...it's taking right off the NFL.com stats...so, start believing. I wish they done better, but they didn't!
    I understand a game that they didn't play well but you are projecting the whole season will go like that for them from an n=1. Pretty severe conclusion.

  26. #22

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    Come on people. Both Davis and Powers looked good considering they had no help from the front 7. No CB's look good when the QB has all day to throw to all-pro receivers. Deion Sanders would have got eaten alive if playing with that pass rush.
    Give them a couple weeks with a healthy Dwight Freeney and see how good they are. There is a reason the Miami players were irate when Davis was traded.

  27. #23
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,800
    Mood

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I understand a game that they didn't play well but you are projecting the whole season will go like that for them from an n=1. Pretty severe conclusion.
    I guess I have NO faith in our current roster. Not only are there a bunch of rookies, there are a bunch of 2 - 3 year scrubs that are suppose to miraculously step up into starters and / or 1st man up. The best 2 playerson defense are playing out of position and quit frankly, Freeney is looking terrible out there. Until this team proves that they can win, I'll stay pat on a very poor season and zero wins will not surprise me. This team is worse then Peyton's rookie team in a big way and they didn't fair well at all.
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:


  29. #24
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,858

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    Typically less tackles is a better stat indicator for a corner. More tackles usually means they are giving up more completions.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  31. #25
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,800
    Mood

    Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sometimes less tackles is a better stat indicator for a corner. More tackles sometimes mean they are giving up more completions.
    Fixed
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 09-11-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Similar Threads

  1. Vontae Davis to Colts for 2nd Round Pick
    By Flibertygibits in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 01:03 PM
  2. Vontae Davis vs Jerraud Powers
    By AugustinGrangerHill in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 02:16 PM
  3. Davis in the clear to play for Warriors in Game 5 (ESPN.com)
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 03:30 PM
  4. Have you seen Dale Davis play this season ?
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 08:10 AM
  5. Davis CAN be signed after 3-1 & play in the playoffs
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 01:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •