Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

Default How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

i read an article that said he thought Vontae Davis played awful and had a horrible game, i disagreed with that. I thought him and Jerraud Powers both played reasonably well. Considering Jay Cutler had all day to throw the ball the receivers were going to get open eventually. do you think he played bad?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: How did Vontae Davis play vs the Bears?

Quote Originally Posted by AugustinGrangerHill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i read an article that said he thought Vontae Davis played awful and had a horrible game, i disagreed with that. I thought him and Jerraud Powers both played reasonably well. Considering Jay Cutler had all day to throw the ball the receivers were going to get open eventually. do you think he played bad?
    I don't think he played awful. He didn't play great (no one on the defensive side of the ball did), and you kind of have to grade him on a curve since he's only been with the team for like three weeks. I would give him a C.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

He was fine. No DB's going to look very good behind our crap front 7 that got no pressure after the first couple drives. He's been here like a week and a half and played almost every snap and didn't get embarrassed or anything, that's good enough for me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Well his play today makes you wonder why the Colts traded for him. However you have to keep in mind the points others have already made, no pressure by the Colts and Davis is still new to the team. Plus he seemed to be matched up with Brandon Marshall most of the game. Does anyone ever look good against that guy?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AugustinGrangerHill View Post
    Link if you don't mind?
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anyone publishing a rash evaluation on Davis after two weeks with the team and in this system... and against Brandon Marshall.... just isn't someone you want to pay much heed to. Of course he didn't look like Revis out there, but he didn't play horribly. We gotta give him at least a good month, probly longer. The man didn't have an off-season with this team, so he was literally thrown into the frying pan at the last minute.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    Link if you don't mind?
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-week-1/page/3

here is the link

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AugustinGrangerHill For This Useful Post:

bleacher report

lol....

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

Mood

He looked fine considering everything the kid has gone through and getting thrown in right away. We really need upgrades in our front seven. I think we would have been better if Angerer were in there, but that is just one spot. I think this year will be long for our defense when playing high caliber offenses. I think we will be addressing the front seven in next year's draft and free agency. Give Davis some time to get acquainted to his teammates, get the scheme down, and get better with the coaching staff. I see him as much more value than what we traded to get him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Extremely poor.
    "What you are witnessing right now is the old Danny Granger of old!!" - Chris Denari 01/01/2014

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy317 View Post
    Extremely poor.
    He really did not play extremely poor.

As stated above, any corner will struggle when an opposing QB has 6 seconds to find a receiver on every single play.

Davis was fine. Not great or even good. But he was not awful.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    He looked fine considering everything the kid has gone through and getting thrown in right away. We really need upgrades in our front seven. I think we would have been better if Angerer were in there, but that is just one spot. I think this year will be long for our defense when playing high caliber offenses. I think we will be addressing the front seven in next year's draft and free agency. Give Davis some time to get acquainted to his teammates, get the scheme down, and get better with the coaching staff. I see him as much more value than what we traded to get him.
    He's had what, a week or two to learn a playbook, understand the scheme, practice, etc. Ask me again in week 6

He got beat really bad on the deep TD, other than that I thought he and Powers were Ok-ish.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Davis made a nice leg tackle (5 T)... couldn't stop his receiver in any way. He was quicker to call his grandma then he was to defend his receiver (0 PD).

Powers made 6 T and 2 PD. He was involved in alot more plays, unfortunately he got burned for more then he stopped.

But hey, as some would say, it's the Bears and well, they are an offensive juggernaut and our boyz will get better throughout the season. /green

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    But hey, as some would say, it's the Bears and well, they are an offensive juggernaut and our boyz will get better throughout the season. /green
    I can't wait to hear what have to say after we beat Minnesota in week 2. I'm guessing, "uhdhh ya they got luckey and minnesota is worst team ever in football honestly each team prob wins 1 game all year"

Davis made a nice leg tackle (5 T)... couldn't stop his receiver in any way. He was quicker to call his grandma then he was to defend his receiver (0 PD).

Powers made 6 T and 2 PD. He was involved in alot more plays, unfortunately he got burned for more then he stopped.

I will be convinced that everything you say is correct about our DBs if we see the same thing for the next 4-5 weeks. Until that mid October date i am willing to believe that our corners will be better than they appeared yesterday.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    I will be convinced that everything you say is correct about our DBs if we see the same thing for the next 4-5 weeks. Until that mid October date i am willing to believe that our corners will be better than they appeared yesterday.
    I didn't make that crap up...it's taking right off the NFL.com stats...so, start believing. I wish they done better, but they didn't!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I can't wait to hear what have to say after we beat Minnesota in week 2. I'm guessing, "uhdhh ya they got luckey and minnesota is worst team ever in football honestly each team prob wins 1 game all year"
    I can't wait either, I hope we do beat the Vikings, but they have a guy named Peterson that is gonna railroad the defense, unless the Colts have a master plan that we haven't seen yet that can stop AP!

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ummmmm .... you are aware that is a pretty good stat line for corners, right? They don't rack up 10 tackles and 6 PDs and 2 interceptions every game. Revis averaged about 3 tackles and 1.3 PDs a game last year, and he's the best in the game.

6 tackles and 2 PDs is, statistically, up there pretty high for a corner. Powers was pretty damned good. Davis did well also if you consider he was just acquired less than two weeks before he played for us. So not exactly sure you proved a point there, at least statistically. If you wanna claim they got burned a few times, well, you may have an argument there, but Brandon Marshall is gonna burn you here and there, that's just hte nature of the game. There are no true "shut-down" corners in this day and age of enabling receivers and reduced hand-checking, etc... Just ones who have reduced burns.

Linebackers pretty much rule the tackle department, due to the fact they are typically instructed to go for the ball... corners are usually left on islands and just have way less opportunities to get those precious tackle numbers.

And ya.... the Bears may not be a juggernaut, but they are no slouches, either. Cutler, putz that he is, can air it out, and Marshall is a beast. Alshon is gonna be a force on the other side. Bush and Forte are easily better than anything we have on this roster at their positions.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-10-2012 at 10:06 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Ummmmm .... you are aware that is a pretty good stat line for corners, right? They don't rack up 10 tackles and 6 PDs and 2 interceptions every game. Revis averaged about 3 tackles and 1.3 PDs a game last year, and he's the best in the game.

6 tackles and 2 PDs is, statistically, up there pretty high for a corner. Powers was pretty damned good. Davis did well also if you consider he was just acquired less than two weeks before he played for us. So not exactly sure you proved a point there, at least statistically. If you wanna claim they got burned a few times, well, you may have an argument there, but Brandon Marshall is gonna burn you here and there, that's just hte nature of the game. There are no true "shut-down" corners in this day and age of enabling receivers and reduced hand-checking, etc... Just ones who have reduced burns.

Linebackers pretty much rule the tackle department, due to the fact they are typically instructed to go for the ball... corners are usually left on islands and just have way less opportunities to get those precious tackle numbers.

And ya.... the Bears may not be a juggernaut, but they are no slouches, either. Cutler, putz that he is, can air it out, and Marshall is a beast. Alshon is gonna be a force on the other side. Bush and Forte are easily better than anything we have on this roster at their positions.
    First, I'm not saying that their numbers aren't good or average or poor. Powers activity was high in the game due to the fact that the Bears wasn't afraid to throw his way. That is the point of my statement. 6 T and 2 PD is good numbers, unfortunately it didn't stop there, they threw his way all to often and he was burned way to much.

I think Davis actually played better as they didn't throw his way as often for the simple fact that Davis had his man covered much tighter, however, even when he was challenged he never even got his hand on the ball or hit his man / ball / arm(s) in a way to stop the catch.

As for the quicker to call his grandma...I laughed...sorry you took it so serious!

I didn't make that crap up...it's taking right off the NFL.com stats...so, start believing. I wish they done better, but they didn't!
    I understand a game that they didn't play well but you are projecting the whole season will go like that for them from an n=1. Pretty severe conclusion.

Come on people. Both Davis and Powers looked good considering they had no help from the front 7. No CB's look good when the QB has all day to throw to all-pro receivers. Deion Sanders would have got eaten alive if playing with that pass rush.
    Give them a couple weeks with a healthy Dwight Freeney and see how good they are. There is a reason the Miami players were irate when Davis was traded.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    I understand a game that they didn't play well but you are projecting the whole season will go like that for them from an n=1. Pretty severe conclusion.
    I guess I have NO faith in our current roster. Not only are there a bunch of rookies, there are a bunch of 2 - 3 year scrubs that are suppose to miraculously step up into starters and / or 1st man up. The best 2 playerson defense are playing out of position and quit frankly, Freeney is looking terrible out there. Until this team proves that they can win, I'll stay pat on a very poor season and zero wins will not surprise me. This team is worse then Peyton's rookie team in a big way and they didn't fair well at all.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Typically less tackles is a better stat indicator for a corner. More tackles usually means they are giving up more completions.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Sometimes less tackles is a better stat indicator for a corner. More tackles sometimes mean they are giving up more completions.
    Fixed
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 09-11-2012 at 11:53 AM.