Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-Colts thread

Default Re: Non-Colts thread

I don't feel sorry for the Packers. They put themselves in that situation. They are better than what they showed in that game. Which is the sad part in this all. We should be discussing how awful their offensive line is and how good Seattle's defense is but instead we are talking about the refs and one particular play.

I am not saying the refs made the right call. I am not saying that the call didn't impact this game because it did. However it didn't have to be that way...that play didn't have to matter. I think Seattle is a good team but I think Green Bay is much better. Had Green Bay played like they are capable of then this never happens. So as players take to Twitter and conduct interviews expressing their displeasure with the performance of these replacement officials they should first look in the mirror and express displeasure with their own performance on the field.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Calvin Johnson touchdown that wasn't a touchdown last year illustrates that one Jay.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_713897.html

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Calvin Johnson touchdown that wasn't a touchdown last year illustrates that one Jay.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_713897.html
    I think most players and fans think of the traditional rule - that as soon as you've broken the plane - or gotten both feet down in the end zone - with ball the play is over.

Can you imagine how confused everyone would be if *this* play happened in a big MNF or Super Bowl game when Madden was butchering the rules. Nobody would know what the hell just happened, and they'd all have the same incorrect argument!

That play is nearly identical to the Hines Ward play against the Browns in 2009. That game was more famous for one other "controversial" call - the Steelers got a measurement around the 20 yard line, and from the midfield camera angle zoomed in super tight, it appeared they were an inch or two short of the first down. But the camera angle was at about a 45-degree angle to the chains being stretched on the field, not perpindicular, so the angle the tv viewers got was not the same as the referree's viewing angle. Referree signalled for first down, and confusion reigned in the broadcast booth. It wasn't Madden that time, so I'll give him a break. But a similar problem to what Madden had with announcing the controversial touchdown in SBXL. Same issue - the correct camera angle wasn't available and everything shown to the television viewers was inconclusive by definition.

I think it was the next season that the NFL added 12 permanently-fixed cameras - 2 along each goal line, 2 along each end line, 2 along each side line. These aren't really used by the broadcast crew but they're avaiable to the replay officials for goal line and sideline, endline calls.

After Sunday night's game, they may need to add four more, shooting straight into the sky under each side of the goal post. Of course, these replacement refs would probably stand on the camera and the replay of a controversial kick would just be a ground-level view of the backjudge's crotch!!
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    I don't feel sorry for the Packers. They put themselves in that situation. They are better than what they showed in that game. Which is the sad part in this all. We should be discussing how awful their offensive line is and how good Seattle's defense is but instead we are talking about the refs and one particular play.

I am not saying the refs made the right call. I am not saying that the call didn't impact this game because it did. However it didn't have to be that way...that play didn't have to matter. I think Seattle is a good team but I think Green Bay is much better. Had Green Bay played like they are capable of then this never happens. So as players take to Twitter and conduct interviews expressing their displeasure with the performance of these replacement officials they should first look in the mirror and express displeasure with their own performance on the field.
    This isn't really fair to say. Winning games in the NFL is damn hard. Winning games against good teams is even more difficult. If Braylon Edwards doesn't drop the ball in the Arizona game, Seattle is 3-0. Also playing in Seattle is very difficult.

Green Bay set themselves up to win. A hail mary very rarely works. And last night it didn't work. Green Bay won that game. It doesn't matter if its by 1 or 100. Green Bay got straight up robbed of a win because of the officials.

"I don't mess with West" ECKrueger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This is what can cause spontaneous cranial combustion:
    Oh, ya that was stupid. I guess indisputable would've been better.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    No, that's not true. Ask Hines Ward. Still trying to find the video on the internet but I remember the play itself vividly - both feet down, in the end zone, play over, touchdown, then he rolled over out of bounds and the ball wobbled and they ruled he didn't have control all the way through the catch even though he broke plane, with possession, two feet down, etc.
    Jefferson didn't let the ball wobble though. My point was just that his butt touching the ground is the same as two feet touching in bounds, so touching out of bounds with his left foot after that doesn't matter. It would be like a receiver not falling and never bobbling the ball, getting his left foot in, right foot in, then stepping his left foot out. The last step would not matter, as long as he permanently secured the ball before getting each foot in.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Jefferson didn't let the ball wobble though. My point was just that his butt touching the ground is the same as two feet touching in bounds, so touching out of bounds with his left foot after that doesn't matter. It would be like a receiver not falling and never bobbling the ball, getting his left foot in, right foot in, then stepping his left foot out. The last step would not matter, as long as he permanently secured the ball before getting each foot in.
    Agreed. But its not cut-and-dry, both-feet-down-in-the-endzone-therefore-the-play-is-over, which many NFL fans might still think is true if they haven't seen the Calvin Johnson and Hines Ward plays.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Goodell won't be shamed into ending this any quicker.

Us fans probably won't be able/willing to apply any financial pressure

Politicians likely won't (and shouldn't) intervene.

What is the hope? I guess the knowledge that at least a few owners care about the integrity of the game nearly as much as they do about not writing a big check. Maybe like with the players lockout, they can convince the rest of the owners to let some compromises get on the table, giving Goodell new orders.

I'm thinking of the Maras, the Rooneys, Robert Kraft. others?
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Goodell won't be shamed into ending this any quicker.

Us fans probably won't be able/willing to apply any financial pressure

Politicians likely won't (and shouldn't) intervene.

What is the hope? I guess the knowledge that at least a few owners care about the integrity of the game nearly as much as they do about not writing a big check. Maybe like with the players lockout, they can convince the rest of the owners to let some compromises get on the table, giving Goodell new orders.

I'm thinking of the Maras, the Rooneys, Robert Kraft. others?

Which owners are hellbent on not giving the refs what they want? I would imagine that there is a small group leading the charge, as there was with the lockout (Jerry Jones, Richardson, Bowlen).

plus Mike Brown I'd guess.

Let's hope that the Cowboys are the next to get reamed on the last play of the game.

In other news, Jay Cutler has weighed in:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

I like Clay Matthews

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

I like Clay Matthews

winner
    "We want Miami"

Arizona has the best defense in the league right now
    "We want Miami"

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Does it matter that before the call is made, Jennings left foot touches out of bounds and then comes back in? If they are wrestling for possession wouldn't he be ineligible? Or were they claiming simutaneous catch? Interference is nearly never called on a jump ball as everyone is making a play on the ball.
    On a hail Mary, it's one thing to bump a guy going up at the same time, and another to flat out shove a guy to the ground with both hands.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Arizona has the best defense in the league right now

Tell you what, they've got a great coaching staff over at Steelers West and they're getting more out of that roster than I thought was possible.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Tell you what, they've got a great coaching staff over at Steelers West and they're getting more out of that roster than I thought was possible.
    They've drafted very well defensively. Patrick Peterson has been huge
    "We want Miami"

Why is there no game on CBS here in Indy? Why are they showing cartoons?

I hate the Pats, but today I'm sure glad I have Ridley, Gronk, and Welker on my fantasy team.

You can never go wrong drafting Patriots to your fantasy squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Why is there no game on CBS here in Indy? Why are they showing cartoons?
    The Raiders/Broncos game is the only one we're getting I'm surprised we're not getting the Bengals/Jags game though since Jags is our division rival and the Bengals are only a couple hours from Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    The Raiders/Broncos game is the only one we're getting I'm surprised we're not getting the Bengals/Jags game though since Jags is our division rival and the Bengals are only a couple hours from Indy.
    They know that people around here want to watch Peyton.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I like Clay Matthews

Fan page, not actually him.

Wilfork tackles a wide receiver who never knew a tank was in the area.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

They know that people around here want to watch Peyton.
    I can understand that but can they really do that? I figured they were obligated to air the market teams.

Then again I remember Ft Wayne last season aired a Bears game over the Colts game because the Colts were still winless at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I can understand that but can they really do that? I figured they were obligated to air the market teams.

Then again I remember Ft Wayne last season aired a Bears game over the Colts game because the Colts were still winless at that point.

The Bengals aren't a market team for Indy though.

Anyone else watching this Bears-Cowboys game? Man, what an absolute beatdown.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anyone else watching this Bears-Cowboys game? Man, what an absolute beatdown.
    When you throw 5 INT's, two returned for TD's, and get replaced by Kyle Orton, you're goose is cooked. Romo is probably done as a Cowgirl after this season. Does anyone REALLY believe they're a threat to win it all with him as their QB?