Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-Colts thread

Default Re: Non-Colts thread

The rule:

If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control.

an example of the same call a couple of years ago:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,wp6949

Looks like Revis has "most" of the ball, but it was ruled as touchdown Cowboys:

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I think I speak for everyone when I say "Free the Refs"

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The argument is moot now, the damage is done, whether they made the right call or not. Enough of an uproar is ensuing after this game that the NFL has to do something or they'll suffer some irreparable damage to their business.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The rule:

If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control.

an example of the same call a couple of years ago:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,wp6949

Looks like Revis has "most" of the ball, but it was ruled as touchdown Cowboys:

Slick, Tate didn't even have a hand on the ball. He had a forearm on the ball. And that was just because that's where it was when Jennings pulled the ball into his chest.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

If Tate didn't have both hands on the ball, even if one hand is basically through the defender, like Austin did with Cromartie above, then you are right, Travmil.

I thought he had both hands on it but it was on the defender's chest, i.e. the defender had "more" of the catch, which is irrelevant. Less than 100% = no INT.

I recall the criticism of Cromartie and the bottom line message being this is why you knock the ball down, always, on D, when in a crowd.

bizarre though
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Watching this presser makes me wish Jim Mora or Dennis Green was coaching right now just for the Lolz.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Jennings clearly has possession before Tate ever gets anything on the ball. The more I watch it the more ridiculous it becomes.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So blatant offensive pass interference, an interception which Jennings controls and then Tate makes a grab at the ball, which would actually make Jennings the offensive player in that situation because he clearly has the ball before. Even with the tie at the end, it still should be GB possession.

Extreme **** up.

That's the worst angle IMO, but even then you can see Tate doesn't get to the ball until Jennings is already coming down with it.

three angles

I just don't see any angle that shows me Tate getting to the ball the same time as Jennings. Which is how the rule is written.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

ESPN's Trent Dilfer and Steve Young are just tearing the NFL a new one, just destroying them. It's pretty funny.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Young sounded like he was going to burst into tears.

I think I agree now that Tate's right hand did not get onto the ball until after it was already in Jennings' posession

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Next time you hear some dbag bagging on the rigged NBA while wearing an NFL jersey remember to remind him of these few weeks.

​TOUCHDOWN SEATTLE!!!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Does it matter that before the call is made, Jennings left foot touches out of bounds and then comes back in? If they are wrestling for possession wouldn't he be ineligible? Or were they claiming simutaneous catch? Interference is nearly never called on a jump ball as everyone is making a play on the ball.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Does it matter that before the call is made, Jennings left foot touches out of bounds and then comes back in? If they are wrestling for possession wouldn't he be ineligible? Or were they claiming simutaneous catch? Interference is nearly never called on a jump ball as everyone is making a play on the ball.
    If you can make an argument that the GB player doesn't have clear possession as he comes to the ground and they are wrestling with the ball then his leg going out of bounds could be a factor. Not sure I would buy the GB player not going to the ground with possession.
    Last edited by Bball; 09-25-2012 at 06:46 AM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I don't know if this is as egregious as everyone is making it seem. I see it like the majority of you but it's not like this isn't a weird play and I am not convinced the regular refs would've gotten it right either.

EDIT: When they go to replay on a called TD I'm not sure they can look for simultaneous reception and all of that... or if they can only look to see if the offensive player has possession and has crossed the plane of the goal line.
    Last edited by Bball; 09-25-2012 at 06:46 AM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Does it matter that before the call is made, Jennings left foot touches out of bounds and then comes back in?
    His left foot only goes out after he has already made the catch and brought it to the ground, maintaining control, though. Once his butt hits the ground, the play is over and he has the ball in both hands.

So, no that doesn't matter.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Dakich will probably defend this call too. Unless the precedent is now that you can catch the ball with only your forearm touching it, that was an interception.
    Dan Dakich ‏@dandakich

Yo NFL players..quit whining and walkout n support of the refs...for the glory of The Shield

I know defending DD on this is not the popular track, but he's right.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

The fact that we are arguing about whether it was an INT or not just shows..it was not that bad of a call. Could go either way. There would be people blaming the replacements if they called that an INT
    DG for 3

Quote Originally Posted by ColeTheMole View Post
    The fact that we are arguing about whether it was an INT or not just shows..it was not that bad of a call. Could go either way.
    Say WHAT?

My initial reaction was that it may have been right. At the time I think I was the sole person on the planet who felt that way. Then I looked at the replay and the timing of when players got their hands on the ball, proving to myself that my initial reaction was dead wrong.

I assure you, while he may say otherwise, not even Golden Tate thinks he caught that ball. He might think he took enough of it away to claim joint possession, but not "simultaneous joint possession" as the rules demand. The defender had it first.

The only valid criticism of Green Bay is that coaches teach you to bat the ball down in traffic, since joint simultaneous possession is a possibility only if you catch it. That's not a defense of the call but a criticism of the strategy.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Dan Dakich ‏@dandakich

Yo NFL players..quit whining and walkout n support of the refs...for the glory of The Shield

I know defending DD on this is not the popular track, but he's right.

can't walk out--explicitly barred by the player CBA--so that is just ignorant on the part of Dakich, who is (allegedly) a professional sports commentator...