Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Non-Colts thread

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Non-Colts thread

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Somehow I don't think Redskins fans want to see RG3 go out in a blaze of overworked glory after only playing for a few years. And I think that's probably not what Snyder had in mind when he traded the house for him. You trade up for RG3 because you think you may be set at the QB position for the next 10-15 years.

That might be true. But they might also trade 15 years of him for a couple of SB wins in his prime. Shanahan's heavy reliance on his stars is designed to win Super Bowls, not put players at the top of the career leaders record book. I'm not saying he has a Super Bowl roster to work with, but he does seem to maximize results of whatever roster he has.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Seattle's first half mistakes end up costing them the game despite erasing a 20-point deficit.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Pete Carroll deserved the karma *****slap that he got for trying to ice the kicker.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Pete Carroll deserved the karma *****slap that he got for trying to ice the kicker.
    ...and then trying to argue that he didn't call the TO (which he clearly did) when the kicker initially missed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Three of the final four teams from a year ago are in the final four again. Ironically, the team who won the Super Bowl is the one who didn't make it back as they missed the playoffs entirely.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

The task for NE of winning another Super Bowl just got a whole lot tougher with Gronkowski breaking his arm again.

They can beat Baltimore I think, but for ATL/SF I don't know.

Brady just passed Montana in career playoff wins (17-6, vs. 16-7 for Montana). Another ring is needed though for him to "really" reach or exceed Montana's career accomplishments.

but...

Arguing for Montana over Brady because he is 4-0 in the Super Bowl, if NE and Brady win this year, would be extremely illogical.

Hear me out…

Montana played more than 4 years, people. Those other seasons, he and his team lost sooner!

Montana was 4-0 in the Super Bowl and 4-3 in the conference finals. Yes, 3 times he had a chance to get there and didn’t. Thus his best seven seasons included 4 NFL championships and 3 times as a conference runner-up.

Brady with a ring this year would be 4-2 in the Super Bowl and 6-1 in the conference finals. Thus his best seven seasons would be 4 NFL championships, 2 conference championships, and 1 time as a conference runner-up.

Arguing for Montana over Brady would then mean that it is better to lose twice in conference finals rather than to win twice. Better to miss the Super Bowl, to lose sooner!

simply, in this hypothetical,

4 = 4 (NFL rings)
    6 > 4 (conference titles)
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 01-13-2013 at 08:48 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Three of the final four teams from a year ago are in the final four again. Ironically, the team who won the Super Bowl is the one who didn't make it back as they missed the playoffs entirely.
    And like last year, I'm again rooting for the Harbowl.

I'm rooting for the Falcons because they're the only team left that doesn't bug me and has yet to win an SB.

I rather see Tony G ride off into the sunset with an SB ring than Ray Lewis (who already has one)

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Vogel not letting the media bait him into ripping the refs. Though you can clearly see he wants to.
    Wrong thread?

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Arguing for Montana over Brady because he is 4-0 in the Super Bowl, if NE and Brady win this year, would be extremely illogical.

4 = 4 (NFL rings)
    Arguing wins and losses as a quarterback stat is also extremely illogical. Tom Brady is a great quarterback. He wasn't when he won 2 of 3 his rings and he didn't turn into a great quarterback becuase he won them. The whole rings argument is the same garbage people use to say Kobe is one of the 5 best players in history and Bill Russell is better than Wilt Chamberlain. It doesn't make sense for them and it makes even less sense for football players. Even one as important as Tom Brady.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 01-14-2013 at 09:23 AM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Brady with a ring this year would be 4-2 in the Super Bowl and 6-1 in the conference finals. Thus his best seven seasons would be 4 NFL championships, 2 conference championships, and 1 time as a conference runner-up.

Arguing for Montana over Brady would then mean that it is better to lose twice in conference finals rather than to win twice. Better to miss the Super Bowl, to lose sooner!

simply, in this hypothetical,

4 = 4 (NFL rings)
    Practically speaking, Brady is 4 1/2 - 1 in the Conference Championship. Gotta give Bledsoe a huge chunk of the credit for his play in the 01 AFC Title game against Pittsburgh.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Arguing wins and losses as a quarterback stat is also extremely illogical.
    San Francisco has 10 first or second team all-pro players this year.
    The Ravens have 4.
    The Patriots have 2, and the second-teamer Mankins missed much of the season, had a subpar year, and earned it on reputation alone.

If the Patriots win a title this year, without Gronkowski, it will be because Brady carried them there, again. You are right that he didn't need to carry them there in 2003 and 2004. Every other year he has, however, including his first year when his defense was ranked #25 and there were zero pro bowl players on the team.

The NFL has always listed wins and losses as QB statistics, for a good reason. They have a profound effect on winning and losing the game. Small sample sizes can skew analysis (the Dilfer effect) but greatness always shows itself.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

The biggest feather in Brady's cap is the lack of home losses in the playoffs (2) and lack of one and dones (2). To be considered better than Montana, he does need another Super Bowl. His team won three out of four at the very beginning of his career, but they haven't won since. If he gets one this year, then that is four Super Bowls spread across twelve seasons. He would be the greatest ever and that's that. This time the Giants don't stand in his way. The Gronk loss stings, but I still think the Patriots are in pretty good position. I predict a narrow New England victory against Baltimore next week, just like last year.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

N.E. still remains a well oiled machine and as much we hate them you have to acknowledge they are a very very good team. Brady by far one of the best, arguably in the top 3 ever. I agree that despite Gronk's absence, they still remain strong and favourites for the upcoming game. I was 99.9999999999999999% sure yesterday that the Texans wouldn't get the W. Actually, I was convinced they wouldn't get near it.

Matt Ryan had a great game yesterday for all the **** he has taken and heard all these years. Some of them were justified tbh but good for him that he played really well in that playoff game. Cannot wait for their game against SF. Russell Wilson, well let's say the Seahawks have won the lottery with that pick. He seemed cool, not phased by the circumstances he found himself and orchestrated a near perfect comeback. He will have a great future.

PS1: Am I the only one who dislikes Pete Carroll? Don't know if it's his body language or something. BTW, nice **** up with the time out at the end and the Falcons kicker thanks you for the practice FG. Someone should send a memo to the coaches that icing the kicker never works. Well almost

PS2: Don't forget to watch on Thursday the new episode of Parks and Recs, which will be Colts related.

PS3: Very happy that today i had my first Colts jersey delivered.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Am I the only one who dislikes Pete Carroll?
    You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that LIKES Pete Carroll!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    ...and then trying to argue that he didn't call the TO (which he clearly did) when the kicker initially missed.
    He said after the game he was not arguing the TO, he was asking why the practice kick was allowed. Supposedly if you call a TO before the snap a practice kick is not to be allowed.

If that is true, or how the hell one would enforce that, I have no clue

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...werent-allowed

Perhaps the most confusing moment came when Carroll took a timeout before Atlanta Falcons kicker Matt Bryant's game-winning field goal.

Carroll took a timeout, then Bryant was able to get off a "practice kick." Bryant missed it. Carroll was irate after the play because of a pregame conversation he had with officials, who warned him that kickers wouldn't be able to take a practice kick, like Justin Tucker did between overtime periods in the Baltimore Ravens' win Saturday.

"The officials told us before the game that nobody's going to get a chance to do that," Carroll said. "I asked them pregame what if somebody does, and they didn't know what the answer was, obviously. I had never heard that before, so I was just challenging it."

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    The biggest feather in Brady's cap is the lack of home losses in the playoffs (2) and lack of one and dones (2). To be considered better than Montana, he does need another Super Bowl. His team won three out of four at the very beginning of his career, but they haven't won since. If he gets one this year, then that is four Super Bowls spread across twelve seasons. He would be the greatest ever and that's that. This time the Giants don't stand in his way. The Gronk loss stings, but I still think the Patriots are in pretty good position. I predict a narrow New England victory against Baltimore next week, just like last year.

Even if he wins another SB that won't necessarily make him better than Montana only because Montana never lost an SB

Then again Terry Bradshaw also has 4 SB's and people don't even have him in this conversation... Its all relative of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Even if he wins another SB that won't necessarily make him better than Montana only because Montana never lost an SB
    So it's better to lose before you even get there?

Next Sunday two teams will lose, but both of them will have had a better season than the team that loses February 3rd after winning on Sunday, by your logic. In fact, Houston, Denver, Seattle, Green Bay, Indianapolis, Minnesota, Cincinnati, and Washington all had better seasons this year than than the team that loses February 3rd after winning on Sunday, because none of them lost in the Super Bowl.

To summarize,

Montana went 1-and-done 4 times and lost in the conference finals 3 times for his 7 postseason losses.
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../gamelog/post/

For Brady's six postseason losses he's been one-and-done twice, lost in the second game once, lost in the conference finals once after winning a wild card game, and lost in the Super Bowl twice. He would be on a parallel course with Montana if only he had lost in the conference finals both last year and in 2007 instead of winning! To look better, by your logic, he needed to lose sooner.

----

put another way
    Montana
    led his team to #1 in the league 4 times
    to #2 zero times
    to #3/#4 three times
    to the playoffs 11 times

If NE wins the SB this year, Brady will have
    to #2 two times
    to #3/#4 one times
    to the playoffs 10 times

4 = 4
    0 < 2 advantage Brady
    3 > 1 advantage Montana
    11 > 10 advantage Montana

16-7 < 19-6 (if Brady wins two more)- advantage Brady
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 01-14-2013 at 03:53 PM.

... I'd be hard pressed to argue against Brady or Montana at this point. They're both 2 of the greatest ever regular season and playoff QB's. You can massage the numbers however you want but I'd take either QB in a heartbeat to lead my team.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

It's hard to counter the "Never lost a Super Bowl" argument because it is a catchy one-liner and people are very hesitant to even try to think it through.

For Montana to have won the same amount of titles (under a big assumption that Brady wins another one this year) and for him to have never have lost in the Super Bowl is only possible if he had been unable to get there again on the seven other times he played in the playoffs.

It's hard to counter the "Never lost a Super Bowl" argument because it is a catchy one-liner and people are very hesitant to even try to think it through.

For Montana to have won the same amount of titles (under a big assumption that Brady wins another one this year) and for him to have never have lost in the Super Bowl is only possible if he had been unable to get there again on the seven other times he played in the playoffs.
    I think it boils down to a coach who pioneered a system and QB who perfected it in a time where NFL rules favored the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I think it boils down to a coach who pioneered a system and QB who perfected it in a time where NFL rules favored the defense.
    .. and a coach that was not hindered even by the existence of a salary cap.

There is a reason why teams cannot stay at the top these days. The Patriots have only 22 players on their roster who were on the team just two years ago. That sort of continual roster upheaval, in large part to manage spending, was unheard of in the early 1980s.

So it's better to lose before you even get there?

Next Sunday two teams will lose, but both of them will have had a better season than the team that loses February 3rd after winning on Sunday, by your logic. In fact, Houston, Denver, Seattle, Green Bay, Indianapolis, Minnesota, Cincinnati, and Washington all had better seasons this year than than the team that loses February 3rd after winning on Sunday, because none of them lost in the Super Bowl.

To summarize,

Montana went 1-and-done 4 times and lost in the conference finals 3 times for his 7 postseason losses.

For Brady's six postseason losses he's been one-and-done twice, lost in the second game once, lost in the conference finals once after winning a wild card game, and lost in the Super Bowl twice. He would be on a parallel course with Montana if only he had lost in the conference finals both last year and in 2007 instead of winning! To look better, by your logic, he needed to lose sooner.

----

put another way
    Montana
    to #2 zero times
    to #3/#4 three times
    to the playoffs 11 times

If NE wins the SB this year, Brady will have
    to #2 two times
    to #3/#4 one times
    to the playoffs 10 times

4 = 4
    0 < 2 advantage Brady
    3 > 1 advantage Montana
    11 > 10 advantage Montana

16-7 < 19-6 (if Brady wins two more)- advantage Brady

I said it was relative but this is the argument people use against Kobe even if he were to tie Michael Jordan with six rings well Jordan never lost in the NBA Finals but Kobe has already lost 2 despite appearing in more Finals than Jordan has.

What's the difference with Brady/Montana in that regard is all I'm saying but hey we all see things differently now don't we?

And nobody ever mentions Terry Bradshaw who has just as many rings as Montana but isn't considered a GOAT despite it. Which is why the ring argument doesn't merit much to me.

I mean nobody is going to believe Bradshaw is a better QB than Marino and he won nothing.

The Steelers were known first and foremost for the "Steel Curtain"....
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden