Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-Colts thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Non-Colts thread

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How are the Chiefs overrated? Did anyone really think they were good?!
    Not so much overrated but a lot of people thinking they where a dark house to do some damage.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    If Manning had gone to the Niners I think there would be legitimate talks about them going undefeated. I wish he had gone there, but it seemed he wanted to stay in the AFC so he wouldn't block Eli from playing in another Super Bowl (which was stupid).
    Why would that be stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Why would that be stupid?
    It's stupid because Eli is younger and will have several more chances to win it all after Peyton retires.

And if Peyton wants to win another ring, that prevents Eli from getting one regardless of where he plays. Who cares if Eli gets to the Super Bowl if he doesn't win? Nobody remembers the Super Bowl loser.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Manning had gone to the Niners I think there would be legitimate talks about them going undefeated. I wish he had gone there, but it seemed he wanted to stay in the AFC so he wouldn't block Eli from playing in another Super Bowl (which was stupid).
    And the NFC West is also significantly weaker than the AFC West, though those might be the two worst divisions in football. (Unless the Chargers are finally for real, but I'll believe that when I see it/ Norv Turner is elsewhere.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I thought that I was the only person who didn't see them as contenders. Everyone seems to be in love with them.
    The NFC East has the same problem.

Lots of fans, lots of television viewers, slightly above average teams that are immensely popular so they get crammed down the rest of the country's throats. The Bears are a 0.500 team but seven million people in this town still think they're on pace to go 15-1.

If they go 15-1, they might be eligible for an asterisk for matching the Patriots unbeaten season. Hell, if the '85 Bears can be a dynasty with only one SB appearance (and yes, they use the word dynasty for them... "They were so good that they only had to win one SB to rank with the 60's Packers and 70's Steelers!" - HUH?!?!?), that's the way these fans think. They LOVE their Bears, but they are irrational homers. (PS, I'll never forget the "education" I was given once that Kordell Stewart was going to be the one to lead them to the Super Bowl. Really. It went like this: me: "Stop, I'm a Steelers fan, you're just embarrassing yourself." Them: "No, just you wait and see!")

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

It's stupid because Eli is younger and will have several more chances to win it all after Peyton retires.

And if Peyton wants to win another ring, that prevents Eli from getting one regardless of where he plays. Who cares if Eli gets to the Super Bowl if he doesn't win? Nobody remembers the Super Bowl loser.

1. Its only two games the Packers looked unbeatable last year and they didn't win it all either.

2. When the Colts won the SB he didn't prevent Eli from getting one the Eagles did when they beat the Giants that year but if they were to deny the other it would be in the Super Manning Bowl and nowhere else.

3. Just because a team looks good on paper(and they do look good on the field so far) doesn't mean they'll win it all: See 2007 Pats, 2011 Packers

Even the 2009 Colts had a shot of going undefeated but we unfortunately know how that ended....

There are no guarantees I rather he have gone to the Niners because him joining the Broncos is giving me Elway flashbacks and makes me wonder if the Colts dump Andrew Luck will he grow up and be a Bronco too? Its just eerie

Elway was near the end of his career when Manning was drafted and Manning is near the end of his career when Luck was drafted... They were all #1 picks by the Colts.

The Broncos are in the AFC and its easier to get to the SB in the AFC than the NFC.

The last QB to represent the AFC not named Manning/Brady/Roethlisberger was in 2002 with Rich Gannon

As for the NFC West being weak well the Cardinals are also undefeated as well as the Niners right now.
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 09-17-2012 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    The replacement ref situation is NOT getting any better
    Did you see both of the really badly blown calls in the Steelers - Jets game?

Hi-larious.

On one play, they flagged Ike Taylor for pass interference. Now, 63,000 people in the stadium were PISSED at Ike Taylor because Santonio Holmes beat him so badly on the play that he was five yards away. Pass intereference?

That was so unexpected that CBS was showing the replay of Clark's hit (shoulder pads on the ball) and Simms and Nantz couldn't figure out why a flag was thrown on the hit and there was no discussion of pass interference on a guy that far behind the play. (For obvious reasons.) Wow.

Isaac Redman had a run where he was "almost" stopped in the backfield, finally broke free and gained about eight yards. Then the Jets "might" have been stripping him of the ball as he went down. On the field, they ruled him down by contact after eight yards. If it were to be ruled a strip or fumble, it was clear which Jets player came out with the ball so that "shouldn't" have been a problem.

Ryan challenged, as he should have.

Replay seems to conclusively show the knee was down for a four-yard loss, so the play should have been over there and no strip-fumble eight yards down the field. Now, Ryan clearly wanted the ball but if Redman was down in the backfield that should have still made for a 12-yard difference on the spot (loss of four vs. gain of eight).

The replay was a bit fuzzy about the strip of the ball. It was close enough that I think you could say it was coming out. I'll give you that. In real time, I thought he was stripped and thought we were lucky with the down-by-contact call on the field.

After replay, the initial call stood.

What the hell?

The Baltimore-Eagles game had an awful onfield fumble call against Vick as well, but at least the replay clearly showed an incomplete pass. I'm not sure how it didn't also turn into intentional grounding. I thought a replay of a "was that a forward pass or fumble?" play could have an intentional grounding call tacked on if the original fumble call was overturned and the rest of the intentional grounding criteria were met? That on-field call was so bad that even Dan Dierdorf, who by all accounts hasn't remembered any of the rules of football since he left MNL a couple decades ago, was shocked by it. At least they got it right after the review, which the Jets could make a legit case didn't happen for them. That wasn't going to fix the fact they got their *** kicked by our defense today (minus Harrison, minus Polamalu), so much for their high-scoring week #1.

The NFL needs to fix this problem in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    As for the NFC West being weak well the Cardinals are also undefeated as well as the Niners right now.
    True, but its pretty easy to see them potentially going 3-11 over the rest of the season, too. 5-11 ought be good for third in the division, maybe battling St. Louis for second in the division.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Except Peyton wouldn't have signed with Denver if he didn't think they could win a Super Bowl.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    True, but its pretty easy to see them potentially going 3-11 over the rest of the season, too. 5-11 ought be good for third in the division, maybe battling St. Louis for second in the division.
    I think you underrate the Seahawks. Wilson is a better QB than people give him credit for.

Mood

If they go 15-1, they might be eligible for an asterisk for matching the Patriots unbeaten season. Hell, if the '85 Bears can be a dynasty with only one SB appearance (and yes, they use the word dynasty for them... "They were so good that they only had to win one SB to rank with the 60's Packers and 70's Steelers!" - HUH?!?!?), that's the way these fans think. They LOVE their Bears, but they are irrational homers. (PS, I'll never forget the "education" I was given once that Kordell Stewart was going to be the one to lead them to the Super Bowl. Really. It went like this: me: "Stop, I'm a Steelers fan, you're just embarrassing yourself." Them: "No, just you wait and see!")
    I especially get a kick out of the Bears fans who talk about how amazing the '85 Bears were, despite the fact that they were born after '85.
    Last edited by Merz; 09-17-2012 at 10:26 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Merz For This Useful Post:

The Redskins 110% lost the game yesterday by being idiots (and playing zone all game long!)

With that said, the NFL repacement refs were an absolute JOKE!

They missed calls that I made on my couch, on both team, for the whole game. And that almost had 2 legit fist fights break out.

Not to mention they let the STL coach challenge a play that was already being reviewed, which should have been a penalty. When Shanny told the sidejudge, dude looked at him and kind of shrugged his shoulder like "I dont know whats happening"

The refs did not beat the Redskins (though I think that last play should have been an offsetting penalty) but the refs 100% sucked in the game.

The regular refs sucked at times. They made mistakes. But at one point in the fourth quarter I thought a brawl was going to break out. S-Jax should have got a TD (and not a penalty for spiking the ball). The refs missed obvious calls I was making at home.

The NFL needs to fix this. And fix it soon.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I really don't think they are that bad. People are going to ***** about the refs regardless if they are replacements or not. There's enough instant replay built in to where I don't think they have had a huge impact yet. A few boners, sure, but not drastically worse than the normal refs.
    I couldn't disagree more. I thought they were OK in the first week, in that blown calls had very little impact. Yesterday the poor officiating was central to just about every game I watched. Again, I am not referring to any one game, but EVERY game it seems like the refs are in way over their heads. I didn't see the Colts game, so maybe it was the exception. I am also not saying it's among the top 5 reasons the Patriots lost.

But it is time to get the REAL officials back.

A great many of the missed calls were not reviewable- phantom pass interference calls, holds that didn't occur or were blatant and were not called, hits called illegal that were not, and these were on-the-ball mistakes, where they are paying attention.

You can get away with ANYTHING away from the ball, which was causing near-brawls in just about every game and players were taking cheap shots with no calls. The refs lost control of the games, have no dialog with the players to clean things up, and are just in WAY WAY over their heads. I'd go so far to say that this year, if the lockout goes on the whole season and they do not improve, may warrant an asterisk, because this is just bizarre.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

You simply cannot bill yourself as being the premier sports league in the country if you have such inferior officials reffing your games.

Even those like Mike Golic who initially didn't think that using replacements was a big deal are now acknowledging that they were bad yesterday.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Did anyone watch the BAL - PHI game?

These refs are in over their head.

I assure you, this has nothing to do with my team losing yesterday. The refs suck, and they need to go.

I agreed with Cdash in week 1, but sorry, if I had a performance at work as bad as these guys had yesterday I would be looking for a new job

23. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I think you underrate the Seahawks. Wilson is a better QB than people give him credit for.
    Maybe, but there's a terrible combination of "NFC" and "West" going on there. I don't plan on watching them or anyone in their division any time soon. When I finished my TiVo of the Steelers last night and then saw that last night's game was an NFC matchup, I turned the TV off.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Did anyone watch the BAL - PHI game?

These refs are in over their head.
    As I said above, you know its bad when Dan Dierdorf (DAN DIERDORF!!) is proving throughout the broadcast that he's much sharper than the replacement refs.

Now I've been listening to him for most of my life and I enjoy his stories and love of the game, but he's struggled to keep pace with the action for years. He's been turning into John Madden(ing) for years. In fact, I'll bet these refs are so bad that Madden might even be thinking about a comeback. They could blow a call on the field, and then he could talk for five minutes about some rule that only exists in his head while the guys in the booth run a replay from a different game just to see if he'll notice that he's circling the wrong player with his telestrator!

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

What do you guys think about the Bucs/Giants kneel down thing?

In case you didn't see it, the Giants were going to kneel, up a touchdown with the clock running out. The Bucs actually rushed them and knocked Eli backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post

In case you didn't see it, the Giants were going to kneel, up a touchdown with the clock running out. The Bucs actually rushed them and knocked Eli backwards.

This is in a very grey area. The Giants were only up one score. It wasn't a blowout. They should expect the defense to still be trying to strip the ball and get it back if there was still "some" time left on the clock. Up two scores and I think its a nobrainer cheap shot. But I don't want my team to quit if they're only down own score if there is still time on the clock.

It is tackle football, not kneel-down or touch football.

That's why victory formation usually has a saftey deep down the field behind the QB. In case something happens.

I've always thought that the team should put in the backup QB to take the kneel-downs just in case the defense wanted to still play the rest of the clock.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post

Completely bush league in my opinion. The game is over at that point. You're not going to cause a fumble. You're only going to get people hurt.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

30. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Completely bush league in my opinion. The game is over at that point. You're not going to cause a fumble. You're only going to get people hurt.
    I'd agree completely if it were a 2-score game. I haven't made up my mind in a one-score game. How often do teams go to the kneel-down with just a one-score lead? I honestly don't know. I think the clock should decide when the game is over, not one of the coaches acting unilaterally. I think you wait for the losing team to surrender, not just have the winning team dictate the end of the game before the clock is out.

But I don't completely buy the injury argument that much either. These guys are in pads for one thing, and in that situation you aren't going to have two guys colliding at full speed or the scenario that most offensive players get hurt in - twisting and reaching for an extra yard. The offensive guy is already trying to go down.

Again, two-score game, clearly cheap and unneccessary. A one-score game is debatable because I'm not sure the kneel-down is appropriate in the first place.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

As I said above, you know its bad when Dan Dierdorf (DAN DIERDORF!!) is proving throughout the broadcast that he's much sharper than the replacement refs.

Now I've been listening to him for most of my life and I enjoy his stories and love of the game, but he's struggled to keep pace with the action for years. He's been turning into John Madden(ing) for years. In fact, I'll bet these refs are so bad that Madden might even be thinking about a comeback. They could blow a call on the field, and then he could talk for five minutes about some rule that only exists in his head while the guys in the booth run a replay from a different game just to see if he'll notice that he's circling the wrong player with his telestrator!
    dungy was unbearable on SNF, defending the refs. we know he is a conservative on social issues, guess on econ too!

I don't like unwritten rules and I think you play to win, legally, until you can't realistically win anymore. When you are down by one score, you can win on a fumbled snap or QB fumble before he kneels down. Therefore, you try to make that happen, even if the odds are <1%. It's like running to first base on a ground ball out in baseball, to me.

On Mike & Mike this AM, Golic had a great point. The O-linemen should have known the defenders were coming. You know what an " I give up" stance looks like, and you know what a "I'm going to knock your head off" stance looks like. The NYG linemen should have seen they were going to get the second variety. They should have expected it, too.

Different story altogether if the lead were 9 points or more.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Golic is always the voice of reason on that show. He doesn't reflexively overreact to everything like most of the mainstream sports media.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Peter King's MMQB starts out with a rant on the poor officiating.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...k-2/index.html

then he takes Coughlin's stance on the kneeldown play

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post: