Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which players nearing the end of the road will get the Hall call?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Which players nearing the end of the road will get the Hall call?

McGrady is an interesting case. He was arguably the best player in the league, but never had the post season success, although in Orlando I think it was more due to a **** team around him. Houston though, him and Yao should have made a lot of noise in the playoffs. And then the injuries. Man, I would have loved to see more of Tmac in his prime. Amazing player. Really don't know if he will get in the HOF though. i'm leaning towards no.

Vince Carter wasn't as dominate, but he had more post season success (not much more) and performed for a longer time. I'm leaning towards no here too.

Chris Webber probably wasn't mentioned cause he is already retired. I think I would put him in though. He was a legit 20 and 10 guy for his career. Great passer too. He is a 5 time All Star, made 5 All NBA teams (1 first, 3 seconds, 1 third), won a rebounding title, and while the Kings never won the West, Webber did lead them deep into the playoffs. That early 2000s Kings team was damn good. He did have his fair share of injuries, but even after his microfacture surgery he was still a damn good player.

IMO only an idiot thinks McGrady deserves to be even mentioned for the Hall. Never led his team anywhere, and after the age of 23, he became one of the most inefficient and worst chuckers in NBA history.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kidd and Nash are first ballot Hall of Famers, easily. Both have carried mediocre teams to deep playoff runs and led the league in assists (and are in the top 10 for career assists, with both likely finishing in the top 5). Not to mention Kidd's championship and Nash's two MVPs.

Pau Gasol and Grant Hill are no-doubters for me, too. It's not the NBA Hall, it's the Basketball Hall, which means you have to consider achievements in international play (Gasol) and college (Hill).

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why isn't Ray Allen on this list.

I did not read the whole top part, but the only one I think is a lock is Manu, Vince was really strong for a time period but really sucky for one as well. Grant was more of just good for a long time, not really great, and Billups is a big question mark I think, he has a chance but I doubt it is a clear cut thing.
    Why so SERIOUS

Grant Hill, Ben Wallace. Manu Ginobili, and Marcus Camby should make it.

Ray Allen would be considered an absolute lock. This article was looking at guys on the fringe.

Another guy to think about, if he hasn't already been mentioned is Antawn Jamison.

Naismeth and Wooden award winner in college
    2-time NBA All-Star
    6th man winner
    19,000 career points 7,700 rebounds

Right now he is definitely on the outside looking in. He would need to be a starter/sixth man over the next couple of years on at least one Lakers championship team, and a couple of deep memorable playoff runs. He would need to clear 22,000 points, and get close to 10,000 rebounds.

Again, this is doubtful, but he has his college success to fall back on. Plus he was on the 2006 US Team.

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another guy to think about, if he hasn't already been mentioned is Antawn Jamison.

Naismeth and Wooden award winner in college
    2-time NBA All-Star
    6th man winner
    19,000 career points 7,700 rebounds

Right now he is definitely on the outside looking in. He would need to be a starter/sixth man over the next couple of years on at least one Lakers championship team, and a couple of deep memorable playoff runs. He would need to clear 22,000 points, and get close to 10,000 rebounds.

Again, this is doubtful, but he has his college success to fall back on. Plus he was on the 2006 US Team.
    Jamison shouldn't be in for what he did in the pros. College maybe, but pros he was nothing special.

Just reading some of the names being considered on here only confirms the Basketball Hall of Fame is a joke compared to the other major sports.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Why isn't Ray Allen on this list.

I did not read the whole top part, but the only one I think is a lock is Manu, Vince was really strong for a time period but really sucky for one as well. Grant was more of just good for a long time, not really great, and Billups is a big question mark I think, he has a chance but I doubt it is a clear cut thing.
    Hill would get in before Billups. Hill had a great run at Duke which includes 2 championships, and then he was one of the best players in the league up until he got hurt. Not saying he's a lock, but someone with a great college career and a really good start to an NBA career that was derailed by injuries is more likely than a late bloomer who does have a ring and a finals MVP but hasn't stood out for much else through our his career.

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    Just reading some of the names being considered on here only confirms the Basketball Hall of Fame is a joke compared to the other major sports.
    You do understand that the basketball hall o fame is different than the other major sports don't you? The football hall of fame is for the NFL. The baseball hall o fame is for the MLB. Basketball has no such affiliation. That is how the owner of Nike got into the hall. You can call it a joke if you want to, but comparing it to other sports is apples and oranges. But you knew this. Anyone that calls someone an idiot certainly can't be one.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    You do understand that the basketball hall o fame is different than the other major sports don't you? The football hall of fame is for the NFL. The baseball hall o fame is for the MLB. Basketball has no such affiliation. That is how the owner of Nike got into the hall. You can call it a joke if you want to, but comparing it to other sports is apples and oranges. But you knew this. Anyone that calls someone an idiot certainly can't be one.
    Even so many of the names being mentioned are a joke. I mean seriously Antwan Jamison, why should he even be in this conversation? As far as I remember, I don't even remember him in college, and his pro career has been nice, but hardly noteworthy in the history of basketball. The Hall of Fame is for the all-time greats, and those who had a huge impact on the game in some way. Jamison is a nice player, but he wasn't an all-time great college player, he isn't an all-time great pro player, and he didn't have a huge impact on the game. He was just a good player for his time, but in the grand scheme of things isn't a big deal.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Chris Webber probably wasn't mentioned cause he is already retired. I think I would put him in though. He was a legit 20 and 10 guy for his career. Great passer too. He is a 5 time All Star, made 5 All NBA teams (1 first, 3 seconds, 1 third), won a rebounding title, and while the Kings never won the West, Webber did lead them deep into the playoffs. That early 2000s Kings team was damn good. He did have his fair share of injuries, but even after his microfacture surgery he was still a damn good player.
    They did win the title in 2002... oh wait..

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Hill would get in before Billups. Hill had a great run at Duke which includes 2 championships, and then he was one of the best players in the league up until he got hurt. Not saying he's a lock, but someone with a great college career and a really good start to an NBA career that was derailed by injuries is more likely than a late bloomer who does have a ring and a finals MVP but hasn't stood out for much else through our his career.
    If you change one or two words around, you could be describing Ralph Sampson. It took him a really long time to get into the HOF. It could take just a while for Hill to get in too although his NBA career was much better in the 6 years or so of his prime.

The only players I'd definitely put in from that list are Manu (this isn't even a question) and Chauncey. And I think Fisher (yes Fisher. I think basketball history is going to look back very fondly on Fisher. And is there a point guard, other than Magic, that's won as much as him? Yes I know he played with Kobe, but the Lakers don't win without Fisher either.), Camby, Carter and Rip should get some consideration.

As other's have said, Kidd, Ray and Nash are locks, as they should be.

On a side note, I'm actually kind of interested to see what they do with the women. Standards seem to be quite a bit higher, but they just let Teresa Edwards in..which sets an interesting precedent. Particularly with the level of accomplishments some of the soon to be retiring women have. (Bird, Jackson, Catchings, Hammon, even Cash etc..)
    Last edited by Sookie; 09-18-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Damn some people just want to let everyone in the Hall of Fame. It's a Hall of Fame, not a Hall of Very Good For A Long Time.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post: