Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which players nearing the end of the road will get the Hall call?

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Which players nearing the end of the road will get the Hall call?

It is a Hall of Fame player, not a Hall of Fame story. I don't care if they had a great dunk contest, or hit clutch shots as the 7th best player on their team.

Steve Kerr does not deserve to be in the HOF. He doesn't even deserve to be in 2k13.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo can't get in I don't really see why Wallace has a case. Don't really see Hill's case either. Some stellar Detroit years, but the injuries. I wouldn't be upset about it but when I think Grant Hill I don't think Hall of Famer. Shame too, if he'd stayed healthy he's maybe like a top 30 all timer.
    You should be Hall-eligible for using Dikembe's full name in a post, and he should be a shoo-in on name-quality alone.

But in all seriousness...

- Kidd --- In like a dirty shirt, he's a legend.
    - Carter/T-Mac --- man that's tough. Terrific athletes/scorers entertainers... but outside of those antics, neither one really accomplished much post-season success. It's mainly just scoring titles, dunk contests, and highlight reels, so in that respect they are sort of like Dominique... and he's in.... I personally don't feel like that's quite enough to get in, but if 'Nique is in (and he feels like he should be), then I spose a case could be made for the two cousins. I guess I put a lot of weight on post-season achievements, these guys got there here and there, but never really made a name for themselves, which is the opposite of Reg. The playoffs are where the Hall of Famers are made, imo...
    - Grant Hill --- if he got in, like someone said, it would be on college credentials + somewhat of a good NBA career... he might have been a surefire if healthy, but he lost too much in his prime to lean on that alone. I'd say no to Hill.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I just want Mutombo to get in in the hopes that he'll give us a "WHO WANTS TO SEX MUTOMBO?!" to close his speech

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

My goodness. Comparing Nique to Carter and McGrady is unbelievable. You put them in his era and they score 30% less cause you have hand checkers everywhere. You put Nique in the NBA today and you have the third best SF in the league.

Maybe I am just a Wilkins homer.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I just want Mutombo to get in in the hopes that he'll give us a "WHO WANTS TO SEX MUTOMBO?!" to close his speech
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-10-2012 at 02:30 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    My goodness. Comparing Nique to Carter and McGrady is unbelievable. You put them in his era and they score 30% less cause you have hand checkers everywhere. You put Nique in the NBA today and you have the third best SF in the league.

I just don't have much recollection of Wilkins post-season achievements. I could be wrong on that, he was a tad before my time. Not doubting that he was better than both of those, he may have been, but in terms of playoff achievements, I sorta lump them in the same category. Playoffs is sort my measuring stick for HoF-candidacy. I don't remember too many epic playoff battles or performances for any of those guys other than a few here and there, which weren't enough to really qualify them amongst the other champs or playoff performers.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post

To me Tmac and Vince had more tools than Dominique, I think they score the same amount of points in either era and yeah you are probably a Wilkins homer not that's anything wrong with that
    Last edited by vnzla81; 09-10-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Banned

Here is a comparison between Reggie, Tmac and Vince:

Reggie awards and achievements:

Points 25,279

Miller played more games with the same team than all but two players in NBA history, John Stockton and Karl Malone of the Utah Jazz. Only five other players have played in more total regular season NBA games than Miller. Over the course of his career, Miller scored 25,279 points, with an average of 18.2 points per game. He shot .471 from the field, .395 from 3-point range and .888 from the free throw line.
    Miller made the All-NBA Third Team three times throughout his career and received his only MVP votes in 1998 and 2000.
    Miller was the first Indiana Pacer to start in an NBA All-Star Game, doing so in 1995. He was also selected to the team in 1990, 1996, 1998 and 2000.
    Miller retired as the all-time NBA leader in total 3-point field goals made (2,560) (broken February 10, 2011 by Ray Allen of the Boston Celtics).
    Miller led the league twice in three-point field goals made (199293, 199697). He led the league in free throw percentage five times, including his last season.
    Miller made a three-pointer in 68 consecutive games from November 15, 1996 to April 6, 1997.
    Miller led the league in free throw percentage five times (199091, 199899, 200001, 200102, 200405)[19]
    Miller is one of only five members in the 504090 Club of players who shot 50% or better from the field, 40% or better from three-point range, and 90% or better from the free throw line in a single season while also achieving the NBA league minimum number of makes in each category. Larry Bird, Mark Price, Steve Nash, and Dirk Nowitzki are the only other players to achieve this feat.
    Tmac awards and achievements:

Points 18,381

NBA career achievements

2 NBA Scoring Champion: 2003 (32.1), 2004 (28.0)
    7 NBA All-Star: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
    7 All-NBA:
    First Team: 2002, 2003
    Second Team: 2001, 2004, 2007
    Third Team: 2005, 2008
    NBA Most Improved Player Award: 2001
    Vince Carter achievements and awards:

Points 21,135

8 NBA All-Star selection: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 (did not play in 2002 due to injury)
    Olympic gold medal: 2000
    2 All-NBA:
    Second Team: 2001
    Third Team: 2000
    NBA Slam Dunk Champion: 2000
    NBA All-Rookie First Team: 1999
    NBA Rookie of the Year Award: 1999
    The Sporting News NBA Rookie of the Year: 1999[74]

By looking at the numbers I think those two guys make it, maybe not 1st ballot but they will make it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yea, but Reggie has a playoff moment list a mile long and was a fixture in deep playoff runs for over a decade. He made the HoF largely on his playoff heroics. That stuff doesn't show up in those "achievement lists".

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Exactly. What did McGrady ever do in the playoffs? Well, besides losing? Vince's playoff accolades, while still longer than McGrady, since Vince actually got past the first round a few times, still pales in comparison.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

13 points in 33 seconds

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    13 points in 33 seconds
    What did McGrady do in the PLAYOFFS?

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

28.5 points per game in the PLAYOFFS

28.5 points per game in the first round of the PLAYOFFS
    Fixed. How many points did he average in the second round or further in the playoffs?

Oh wait....

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

J7F

Jamal Mashburn?
    All-Star Team
    2nd team all NBA
    Two 50-point games
    Prominent scorer
    One of 3 players to average 20, 6, and 5 (Kibe and KG)

Just a thought and I didn't see him mentioned.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to alamo1978 For This Useful Post:

J7F

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm surprised Chris Weber wasn't mentioned. I think he's definitely an on the bubble HOF.

Jason Kidd is a lock. Not only is he a lock, he'll be inducted 1st ballot. He was the undisputed best PG in the NBA for many years and he's played in 3 Finals (2 with New Jersey) and won a championship.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    And? Miller is one of the best SG's ever. Kidd may be one of the best during a short window of time, but he isn't one of the best ever.
    I don't know how to reply to this other to say you must be very young.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to circlecitysportsfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by circlecitysportsfan View Post
    I don't know how to reply to this other to say you must be very young.
    No, just not enamored with Kidd.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    No, just not enamored with Kidd.
    In spite of one's personal feelings about Kidd, the guy is definitely an all-time top 5 PG.

Magic
    Stockton
    Thomas

Who's next that is without a doubt better than J-Kidd?

Just IMHO, Bob Cousy and Oscar Robertson (I know, he played 2 guard too) are by most measures definitely better than Kidd, but yes, he's definitely 1st ballot HOF.

13 points in 33 seconds
    Thought that was a regular season game

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Just IMHO, Bob Cousy and Oscar Robertson (I know, he played 2 guard too) are by most measures definitely better than Kidd, but yes, he's definitely 1st ballot HOF.
    It depends if by 'the best' you mean 'the greatest' --- dominance in his era, career achievements, stats and such.
    If so, then yes. In that case, I'd also add Jerry West to the list above Kidd, West played PG a lot.
    And you have to add Nash too, 2xMVP after all.

But in terms of overall quality as a player, I think he has as good a case as any at the #2 spot behind Magic.

I would take Kidd over Nash. Kidd was a great 2-way player. Nash is and always was a horrible defender.

Seriously, anyone that doubts Kidds credentials has only been watching the NBA for 5 years. There is no other possible explanation. Kidd dragged Richard Jefferson and Kenyon Martin to the Finals, Twice!!! He had several good years in Dallas and Phoenix before that.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I just don't have much recollection of Wilkins post-season achievements. I could be wrong on that, he was a tad before my time. Not doubting that he was better than both of those, he may have been, but in terms of playoff achievements, I sorta lump them in the same category. Playoffs is sort my measuring stick for HoF-candidacy. I don't remember too many epic playoff battles or performances for any of those guys other than a few here and there, which weren't enough to really qualify them amongst the other champs or playoff performers.
    Watch the shootout with Bird from the '87 playoffs on NBA Classics. Dominique was a stud on a very good but not great team that just didn't have enough firepower with Celtics era coming to an end, the Jordan era about to begin, and the Pistons era crammed in between. And that's just the EC, as the Lakers era lasted through all of those. That's not Dominique's fault, and as is common some people are confusing team success with the quality of the individual player. It took Russell and an army of Hall of Famers to defeat Chamberlain and the Warriors, yet there are plenty that will argue that Russell was better than Wilt? Same flaw, and it doesn't take away from what either Dominique or Wilt or others accomplished even if they had less to work with.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you