Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which players nearing the end of the road will get the Hall call?

Default Re: Which players nearing the end of the road will get the Hall call?

Ginobili is a lock. Hill seems close too. I don't think anybody else on that list should make the Hall.

What is the argument in favor of T-Mac and Vince Carter (besides scoring lots of points)?

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kidd is a lock? Ok, you guys have low standards.
    i hope you are joking.

some of the names in article made me laugh. almost all of those players should not be in the same sentence with hof.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Kidd is a lock? Ok, you guys have low standards.
    Huh? Yo' gotta be kiddin', right? No pun intended.

On the list, the only player I consider a sure-shot in the HoF is Manu Ginobili.

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    On the list, the only player I consider a sure-shot in the HoF is Manu Ginobili.
    no doubt about it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

duncan, manu, kobe, nash
    Smothered Chicken!

Banned

It's Gasol a lock for the hall of fame? how about Tony Parker? what other players are out there that could be in the hall of fame other than the top guys?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Uh, what?

You're kidding, right?

You realize at that time the NBA had a whole whopping 8 teams, right? Who else were they going to vote in?
    A case could be made to get Horry in, seven NBA championships and a bunch of clutch shots could put him in the HOF.

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still feel alot of these players are great, but being great shouldn't be enough to get you in the HoF.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

9. The Following User Says Thank You to neosmndrew For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Manu= Maybe for FIBA, but NBA career alone
    Grant Hill= yes college and borderline pro
    McGrady and Carter= Maybe in the distant future, but not in this decade
    Duncan= 1st ballot
    Nash and Kidd= Maybe not 1st ballot, but close after

There are so many players who have not made it yet, that some that he listed don't even deserve to be mentioned.

And with Horry...He has a Hall of Fame story. But a Hall of Fame player, he is not.

Kidd, Nash, Kobe (maybe a stretch in terms of 'almost done' but he's played in the league a LONG time now), Ginobili, Allen, Pierce, Duncan, Garnett.

I could see Ben Wallace and Chauncey Billups both getting in.

I don't really see McGrady and Carter as quite the same locks, but I could be wrong. They were certainly exciting scorers in their day but other than that and a couple of mountains of hype I'm not sure what else they have going for them. I don't remember Grant Hill back when he was a Piston, but my vague understanding was he was kind of like these two back in the day.

Banned

Vince and Tmac are in IMO, they broke records and scored a bunch of points, Vince is probably in because of what I just pointed out but also because of his flying ability, what Dominique Wilkins had that Vince didn't?

And regarding Hill, I don't know if he is in, I think is going to take a while for him if he is ever going to get in.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 09-10-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Sports Logo

If Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo can't get in I don't really see why Wallace has a case. Don't really see Hill's case either. Some stellar Detroit years, but the injuries. I wouldn't be upset about it but when I think Grant Hill I don't think Hall of Famer. Shame too, if he'd stayed healthy he's maybe like a top 30 all timer.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 09-10-2012 at 11:07 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Vince and Tmac are in IMO, they broke records and scored a bunch of points, Vince is probably in because of what I just pointed out but also because of his flying ability, what Dominique Wilkins had that Vince didn't?

And regarding Hill, I don't know if he is in, I think is going to take a while for him if he is ever going to get in.
    Ok. Wilkins was more than a high flyer. And he was one of the best SF of all time. Top 15 IMO. Carter might make it to the HOF one day, but to put him on Wilkins level is just...wrong. Its wrong man. Wrong.

D. Wilkins 26668 total points
    Vince Carter 21135 total points

D. Wilkins 7169 total rebounds
    Vince Carter 5016 total rebounds

D. Wilkins 17 years
    Vince Carter 18 years

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    If Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo can't get in I don't really see why Wallace has a case. Don't really see Hill's case either. Some stellar Detroit years, but the injuries. I wouldn't be upset about it but when I think Grant Hill I don't think Hall of Famer. Shame too, if he'd stayed healthy he's maybe like a top 30 all timer.
    Hill is in because of his college days.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Ok. Wilkins was more than a high flyer. And he was one of the best SF of all time. Top 15 IMO. Carter might make it to the HOF one day, but to put him on Wilkins level is just...wrong. Its wrong man. Wrong.

D. Wilkins 26668 total points
    Vince Carter 21135 total points

D. Wilkins 7169 total rebounds
    Vince Carter 5016 total rebounds

D. Wilkins 17 years
    Vince Carter 18 years

Don't get me wrong I wasn't comparing the players they both play different positions so there is not comparison, my point is that one of the things that ended up putting Wilkins in was his high flying ability and dunks, to me Vince has that going for him(plus the other numbers for sure) people remember ""Vinsanity"" and the best dunk contest ever by him.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 09-10-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Uh?

edit: Just look at his career awards:

Rookie of the year, 10 NBA All Stars, 5 all NBA first teams, 4 NBA all defensive teams, 5th NBA assist leader, NBA Champion, 3rd place for regular season triple doubles, second in playoffs triple doubles, 3rd all time three point leader, yep more than enough numbers an awards for him to be in the Hall of Fame.
    Don't forget he took the Nets..the NJ NETS.. to the NBA finals..TWICE! There's no way that J-Kidd ISN'T in. He may be 1st ballot with all of his credentials.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

If Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo can't get in I don't really see why Wallace has a case.
    I don't think Mutombo is eligible yet. Hard as it is to believe, he was still in the league as recently as the 2009 season with the Houston Rockets (he only played 9 games).

I think Mutombo will get in. At least I feel like he deserves it.

It's Gasol a lock for the hall of fame? how about Tony Parker? what other players are out there that could be in the hall of fame other than the top guys?
    If they aren't top players then no, they shouldn't even be considered. We are talking about the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of the Very Good.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I don't remember Grant Hill back when he was a Piston, but my vague understanding was he was kind of like these two back in the day.
    I always thought Hill was more of an elite basketball player than an elite scorer. McGrady and Carter were scorers. Hill was a player.

Kind of like comparing Lebron and Kobe. Hill was more like Lebron. The better comparison is probably Pippen while Jordan was serving his gambling suspension in Birmingham. From the little I remember, Hill was the type of player who could lead a pretty good team in points, rebounds, and assists. Obviously those guys are exceedingly rare. And the ones who are capable of that usually end up in Springfield.

For what it is worth, I think McGrady and Carter also make it in eventually.

I also think the Basketball Hall of Fame is really stupid. A guy like Ralph Sampson deserves to be in a hall of fame. He doesn't deserve to be in the same hall of fame as Reggie Miller. Pro and amateur accomplishments should be separated.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I also think the Basketball Hall of Fame is really stupid. A guy like Ralph Sampson deserves to be in a hall of fame. He doesn't deserve to be in the same hall of fame as Reggie Miller. Pro and amateur accomplishments should be separated.
    I agree, I would like to see the NBA establish their own Hall of Fame.

Tyler Hansbrough and Christian Laettner have to be first ballot hall fame if Sampson is in right?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Tyler Hansbrough and Christian Laettner have to be first ballot hall fame if Sampson is in right?
    If Hansbrough ever makes 4 straight ASGs putting up around 19/10.5/3/2 in those years then yes, he'll be in the HOF.

People need to stop acting like Sampson was some scrub in the NBA.

The problem with the basketball hall of fame is that there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to who gets in and who doesn't. If it is truly a "basketball" hall of fame, Hansbrough is a no brainer first ballot guy. ABA guys don't get in, college guys usually don't get in, NBA players get in for some reasons and don't for others.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

If Hansbrough ever makes 4 straight ASGs putting up around 19/10.5/3/2 in those years then yes, he'll be in the HOF.

People need to stop acting like Sampson was some scrub in the NBA.
    Fair enough, I apologize.

Vince Carter getting in would be horrible to me, I'll readily admit biased against him. His pure numbers are deserved, but what he accomplished with the talent he had was inexcuseable to me. I think he had the ability to be one of the best ever and never seemed to work at it or apply his other worldly ability. I see him as a poor defender who refused to elevate his game beyond being a great scorer. I see him as a me guy who never made his teammates better. He seems selfish and soft. So, ya I admit looking on paper he would get in, but to watch him play outside of highlights, I wouldn't let him in. To me, he represents what I like least about the NBA. I can give you more details, but if you strongly disagree, you would probably not agree with my examples, any way.

Side note: I would put his dunk over Frederick Weiss in if you could put a single play into the Hall of Fame.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post: