Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultimate Standings: Indiana Pacers #4

Banned

Default Re: Pacers ranked #4 in ESPN's Ultime Standings

Way too many ifs, "if West is gets younger", "if Danny plays like he played for a month last year", "if Paul George becomes an all star", "if Roy Hibbert gets better and becomes a perennial all star", with OKC I don't see any ifs, Durant and Westbrook are Superstars and Ibaka/Harden/Perkins are good young players.

And just so you know I expect the Pacers to get close to 50 wins, to me they are build for the regular season but not for the playoffs.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 09-11-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ultimate Standings: Indiana Pacers #4

I mean Reggie is a hall of famer now so it's kind of tough to make the whole "90's Pacers didn't have a superstar" comment, I totally get where you're coming from and agree with you, but I think it's tough not to call Reggie a star.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Kendrick Perkins is going to be 28, is about to have his 10th year in the league, and already started to show signs of tailing off last year. I don't think I can consider him a very good young player. But yes OKC is significantly better than we are. Of course the 2004-2005 Pacers were significantly better than heck maybe the entire league, but we saw how that went down.

The point? Anything can happen. And I do think we can all agree the Pacers aren't in some bleak desert of doom right now.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 09-12-2012 at 12:36 AM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Default Re: Pacers ranked #4 in ESPN's Ultime Standings

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Way too many ifs, "if West is gets younger", "if Danny plays like he played for a month last year", "if Paul George becomes an all star", "if Roy Hibbert gets better and becomes a perennial all star", with OKC I don't see any ifs, Durant and Westbrook are Superstars and Ibaka/Harden/Perkins are good young players.

And just so you know I expect the Pacers to get close to 50 wins, to me they are build for the regular season but not for the playoffs.
    Well the ifs aren't really that huge of ifs, every team has ifs. West doesn't have to get younger, but he will be healthier than he was for the majority of last season, that is a fact barring another injury. He was putting up 15-6 in 29 mpg on 55 percent from the field in april, once he was reportedly feeling like himself, and he was one of our better players in the playoffs. It seems to be a pretty obvious that West would be improved over his early season form once he was fully healthy, remember ACL injuries like his often take well over a year to fully round back into form.

As for Granger it is a fact that a such a long slump is indeed an outlier, Danny's 2nd half performance is much closer to his career norms (around 44 percent 38-39 percent from 3...) than Danny's 1st half performance. At the very least he shouldn't shoot 35 percent from the field for an entire half season. Danny is still a very good player, I expect him to have a pretty good year.

George is potential yes, of course it is a "what if" but he does have that potenail, and is already a very good young player, just like Ibaka.

Hibbert is on the brink as well, would you not agree that many of our problems stemmed from our inability to feed the ball to Roy in the post? I have to think a good coach like Vogel can fix a problem that seems so trivial. Hibbert isn't far away from the consistent all-star level, he just needs to play 2 or 3 more minutes per game, and get more touches. He already averages 15.5-10.6-2-2.4 per 36, and I have faith in the guy to improve his game each year. I believe that he'll meet the challenge that comes with a big contract, and deliver, he just needs to improve a bit while maintaining his per minute production over a few more minutes, he's already a very good player.

I'm not arguing that we have more raw talent than OKC, but it seems we can play with the big boys about as well as they can. After all we did take the Heat to 6 games, and they only took them to 5, even had Bosh been dressed in our series we would have at least won a game too (the 19 point blowout was our win regardless of Bosh's absence.)

I don't buy that we won't improve with experience, and through acquired chemistry. We already won 53 equivalent games last season, we're already a very good team, if George even reaches a chunk of his potential, and Hibbert improves marginally we are looking at a team that can win 55ish games.

OKC has tons of talent, an absolute ton, they also aren't invincible, and neither are the Heat. We won't be favorites, but I don't believe that a team that, even in a cynics opinion such as your's is likely around a 50 win squad merits such eternal pessimism. It isn't like we've peaked in all likelyhood. Like I said, teams have gone very far, even our own, without a superstar player. Sure it is easier with a top 10 or whatever player, but great post-season success by teams structured like ours isn't really unprecedented.

For example ECF isn't in any way out of the question for us next season , especially if we pick up the 2nd seed and Boston picks up the 3rd, thus playing Miami in the 2nd round, I would consider that to be a great building block, and a successful season.

I don't buy Brooklyn, New York, Philly or Chicago without Rose being better than us next season. New York has a superstar, and they lost in embarrassing fashion by an average of 14 points. We won two games, and took Miami to 6 games with a margin of 6.5 points in Miami's favor on average, and our series was actually competitive in 3 of the Miami victories, whereas New York posed no serious challenge in any of the games aside from the one. Superstar Chris Paul's Clipper's were effortlessly swept by San Antonio, who no longer has any superstar players.

Superstar players are good to have, but the situation without "superstars" isn't so grim as you would tell it. It isn't like any team other than SAS/LAL/MIA/OKC are significantly better than we are, we fit nicely into the next group of 2nd tier teams, along with 4 or 5 other teams, and still have some upside. It isn't a bad place to be.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mean Reggie is a hall of famer now so it's kind of tough to make the whole "90's Pacers didn't have a superstar" comment, I totally get where you're coming from and agree with you, but I think it's tough not to call Reggie a star.
    Reggie was a star, certainly, but was he a superstar in any given year? He was great at what he did, he was one of the all time greats in terms of efficiency, but he wasn't the prototypical model of a superstar, in the mold of a Lebron James, Kobe Bryant etc... one that effected the game on both ends greatly, and could just bury you every single night. Reggie was a star, but I don't think that he was a superstar in the mold that vnzla is referring. Reggie is my all time favorite player, but he was a superstar at one thing only, scoring the ball efficiently, most players that have that rank are either guys that can score dominately in isolation and off the dribble, and players that effect the game on both ends at an elite level/ across multiple domains.

Reggie wasn't that, he was amazing, but he was never that, but i'm assuming VN is referring to guys like LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Prime Kobe, Shaq, Bird vein. Reggie was a star player, he'd be our best player, but we have "star players" (guys capable of making an All-Star team) in David West, Granger, and Hibbert, and hopefully before too long, Paul George.