Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So NBA League Pass Broadband billed me a month early with no warning for auto renewal

Default So NBA League Pass Broadband billed me a month early with no warning for auto renewal

I got a postcard in the mailbox a couple of days ago (I guess it must have been Saturday given that it would have been Sunday followed by Labor Day since) saying that "You will be billed in early October 2012 at the price of $179" regarding my broadband account being renewed automatically after I bought it for last season back in December 2011.

Okay, fine. I don't want to renew, so I went online, logged in, found the account, and cancelled it / set it to status: Inactive. No problem, right?

Wrong.

I should mention that just today, about 2PM, I got an e-mail with a similar message as the postcard. "Your NBA LEAGUE PASS BROADBAND PREMIUM subscription is set to automatically renew on October 1, 2012 at the special Early Bird price of $179."

I checked my credit card online just a little while ago this afternoon, and I see that on SEPTEMBER first, I was billed for $179 by NBA League Pass.

I'm pissed right now.

So I just submitted a ticket a short while ago explaining the situation and demanding my money back; hopefully I'll hear back this week. But it just pisses me off that they would have the nerve to charge me on September 1st when they're sending me postcards and e-mails either on the day of, or AFTER the day of billing, lying to me about it not happening until OCTOBER 1st.

I figured I could rant / warn others at the same time by posting this here. Be warned.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Default Re: So NBA League Pass Broadband billed me a month early with no warning for auto renewal

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I figured I could rant / warn others at the same time by posting this here. Be warned.
    Good looking out, Just checked, same thing happened to me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Default Re: So NBA League Pass Broadband billed me a month early with no warning for auto renewal

Blake Ahearn doesn't come for free I guess.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, I would be ready to punch someone.

Even though I want to renew your can't slam someone for $200 unexpectedly. A lot of people wouldn't have it.

I would have the money, but it would **** me off anyway.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post

I'm glad I now get it for free

Excuse me if it's too personal, but why aren't you getting League Pass?

Same thing happened to me.

(I just got married and money is tight)

I just got the same postcard yesterday....for the second time.

I went online, and I do not have an "auto renewal" set up. I emailed and called, and so far have got no answers......

frustrating to say the least

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    after a long boring meeting, that laugh was what i needed.

we are not talking about international league pass broadband, right?

I'm wondering if they were just supposed to alert cable companies so that it appeared on October cable bills, but someone made a mistake and hit all accounts.

That would make some sense, anyway.

Googling, it looks like this has been a recurring problem with league pass for awhile, auto renewing without consent. Though I seem to remember that auto renew is the default option?

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I'm wondering if they were just supposed to alert cable companies so that it appeared on October cable bills, but someone made a mistake and hit all accounts.

That would make some sense, anyway.
    In my case, the cable companies have nothing to do with it; I just paid exclusively for NBA League Pass Broadband.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Googling, it looks like this has been a recurring problem with league pass for awhile, auto renewing without consent. Though I seem to remember that auto renew is the default option?
    In previous years when I got League pass on TV, yes, it was always set to autorenew, so I wasn't surprised they were doing this with Broadband as well, but it's the timing and misleading information that pisses me off. I fully intended to cancel this when it was brought back to my attention after the off season, and then suddenly I'm being billed a month early and essentially given 0 time to cancel before it was too late.

Had the same thing happen to me a couple years ago. I canceled my subscription right after the end of the regular season this year so that it wouldn't happen again.

No update on my ticket yet...

No update on my ticket yet...
    I've heard it takes around 3 days.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

In my case, the cable companies have nothing to do with it; I just paid exclusively for NBA League Pass Broadband.
    I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

I was saying that someone was supposed to charge just the cable accounts in September and broadband accounts in October, like you were told. Except someone screwed up and charged every type of account in early September.

That's the only way I can see some sense behind it.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I just got the same postcard yesterday....for the second time.

I went online, and I do not have an "auto renewal" set up. I emailed and called, and so far have got no answers......

frustrating to say the least
    Mine is the same way. At the end of the season last year I signed up for the last 10 games or whatever. It was the $20 package they do in the last 2 weeks of the season. I figured, ehh why not. It's only $20. So I got an email yesterday telling me that I was set to auto renew on October 1st. I NEVER sign up for anything to auto-renew from my bank account, so I knew something was wrong right away. I would never sign up for full league pass. I was almost too cheap to spend the $20 on the last 10 games. So I figured, no problem. I'll just log into my NBA account and cancel the auto-renew. So I log into my account following the instructions from the email exactly, and there is NOTHING in there relating to my league pass account auto-renewing at all. The only options I have are to unsubscribe from emails, change my password, and change my favorite team.

Thankfully I haven't been charged for anything yet. However, it is still extremely frustrating to know that they think I am signed up for something I can't cancel, and they have my credit card and plan to charge me in a month for something I don't want.

If anyone has any success with any of this please share. I'm sure you will anyway though.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glazedham42 For This Useful Post:

Some language, but this is how to cancel league pass: http://igohardnow.blogspot.com/2011/...dband.html?m=1

I have had issues with NBA League Pass before too. They make it very difficult to cancel, and I've been billed early before too. I won't be purchasing anything from them anymore. I usually just send them a nasty e-mail to their customer service account and that gets me cancelled pretty quickly.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The whole NBA Broadband thing has been a screwed up mess from the beginning. I have had DTV NBA Pass for 10+ years with no problems.

The broadband side has been free with the DTV purchase, except every freaking year they have screwd it up. I have to email, complain, b*tch till they turn it on. It has never worked the first time like it should and they are freaking morons to deal with. DTV has been helpful but they can't turn it on from their end.

This last season they changed the internet format, I couldn't even watch it on any TV or Computer that is 16:9 format, the bottom of the screen where you click on the games didn't show.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes this is why I chat and cancel after every season. Nfl rewind is good about telling you auto-renew is on.

RLeWorm

same thing with me! got an email the other day saying my setting is on auto renewal and will automatically renew on october 1 or something. It gives me links to change the setting but there is no way to change it. NBA is trying to take our money.

UPDATE : I recieved an email from NBA.com saying that basically they know their website is messed up.

If you go to nba.com/update, then login, then click on the subscription that is active then click cancel, it will work. Thank goodness.
    DG for 3

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColeTheMole For This Useful Post: