Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vontae Davis to Colts for 2nd Round Pick

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Vontae Davis to Colts for 2nd Round Pick

Didn't want it to get lost in the pile of the Irsay Tweet thread.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nd-round-pick/

Jim Irsay’s team has made the trade he has been hinting at for the last few days.

The Indianapolis Colts have acquired cornerback Vontae Davis in a trade with the Miami Dolphins, Jay Glazer of FOX Sports first reported and PFT has separately confirmed. The Dolphins receive the Colts’ 2013 second-round draft pick.

Davis and the Dolphins’ coaching staff haven’t appeared to be seeing eye-to-eye this offseason. Davis has taken some time away from practice, and Hard Knocks has shown head coach Joe Philbin getting on Davis during training camp.

The 24-year-old Davis still has two years left on his rookie contract, and we’ve been told there have been no talks between Davis and the Colts on a new deal.

The Dolphins picked Davis out of Illinois in the first round of the 2009 NFL draft. He has played in 44 games in three seasons, starting 36.
    Last edited by Flibertygibits; 08-26-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Default Re: Vontae Davis to Colts for 2nd Round Pick

I'm glad we didn't give up a first rounder for this guy

Mood

It's a nice pick-up and definitely upgrades the secondary. Powers + Davis is a helluva CB combo.

Sports Logo

Davis is solid with the potential to be really good, but I'm not real comfortable giving up a 2nd for him.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Davis is solid with the potential to be really good, but I'm not real comfortable giving up a 2nd for him.
    The Dolphins coach is a "my way or the highway" kind of guy. He has moved some good players because they didn't buy into everything he wanted to do. I think a second round that rates to be the first pick in the second round is much too high but I am willing to hope for the best.....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The move is cool with me. They need all the help they can get in the secondary
    Help us Paul George......you're our only hope

Sports Logo

Jay Glazer says Dolphins also get a conditional 6th. That's probably Irsay's Twitter tax.

https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/239796912021204992

I love the acquisition. Vontae is tough. He went toe-to-toe vs Steve Smith. And he sounds just like Tyrone Biggum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpeKv...layer_embedded
    David "And One" West

I think this should be a solid move for the Colts. I am never to big on trading early draft picks especially when you are at the bottom trying to work your way up like the Colts are. However Davis is a talented player who can help the Colts in a position of major need. I have concerns that Davis might be a headcase but I am confident that Grigson and Pagano did their homework on this guy.

He is immature, but he also has a colorful personality and will be a fun addition to the team. Dude shows up to play on Sundays
    David "And One" West

Sports Logo

Here's to hoping he doesn't show up to any practices here with booze on his breath

Davis/Powers/Gordy is a formidable secondary, but Davis is a huge character risk and we gave up a very valuable draft pick. I'm afraid Irsay doesn't think the fans will hold on in a couple of rebuilding years and is moving too fast.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Mood

Here's to hoping he doesn't show up to any practices here with booze on his breath
    On StampedeBlue, they say that he has matured a bit, and there's an article about the trade that links to this piece about him:
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/0...-maturing.html
    Take this with a grain of salt though - It's basically one of those puff pieces where they interview the guy and he says he'll straighten up. I'll believe it when I see it. With that said, I still think it's an upgrade.

Sports Logo

Wonder what we'll see about this on Hard Knocks on Tuesday

Irsay considers this a blockbuster deal? hahah Not even close.

Although the 2nd rounder will be a high pick, Vontae still has 2 years remaining on his deal, so I'm good with the trade. I would have preferred giving up a 3rd and a 5th instead of a 2nd and a 6th, but whatever.

I still think Freeney should be moved before the season begins.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't get this for the Fins. You don't trade a 24 year old pro bowl caliber corner(when he was used right) who is on a cheap contract for 2 more seasons you build around that type of guy. Very small chance the player the Fins draft will be at Davis level. I guess he was a huge distraction that is all I can come up with he must be like Dez Bryant level cancer or Philbin is just a control freak who has to have 100% control. I'm a huge fan of Davis and think this is a steal. With this move and drafting Dwyane Allen (was my favorite TE prospect and really hoped the Bears would of drafted him love him as a Chris Cooley type guy in the future). The Colts have a lot of guys I like watching now should be interesting this move ups my win prediction for them this year. He takes a bunch of silly indisciplined plays but no doubt he has lockdown ability and top 5 CB talent.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 08-26-2012 at 03:56 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Hmmmm, so I think we're down to 4 picks in next years draft? Not the way I like to rebuild. This guy has to be a long term stud to make this deal worthwhile. Sounds like a pretty big gamble. If he were the piece we needed to make the playoffs then it would be worth the risk. But that's unlikely so I'm not sure he's going to add enough to make this deal worthwhile.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Hmmmm, so I think we're down to 4 picks in next years draft? Not the way I like to rebuild. This guy has to be a long term stud to make this deal worthwhile. Sounds like a pretty big gamble. If he were the piece we needed to make the playoffs then it would be worth the risk. But that's unlikely so I'm not sure he's going to add enough to make this deal worthwhile.
    I just don't agree with that 50% of 2nd rd picks don't get a 2nd deal. I mean 2nd rds are a gold but Vonte is gonna be better than 80% (of course a few stars will be drafted there like ever year) of 2nd rd picks next year and Vonte is a perfect fit. Vonte is at his best when he is just told to play 1v1 and not have to think much. I think the Colts understand that and not ask him to do much more than play man on the other teams best WR.Plus Vonte is 24 it isn't like he is 30. This is a guy who should be a core player on defense for 5+ years. I bet he is younger than many 2nd rds next year hell he is almost 5 years younger than Brandon Weeden. Just think of it like you drafted him if you could draft a Vonte Davis with a 2nd next year as a Bears fan I would be more than thrilled with that outcome for a 2nd rd pick.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I agree he has realize the potential to be worth the 2nd rounder.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Davis, or Irsay?

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    The Dolphins coach is a "my way or the highway" kind of guy. He has moved some good players because they didn't buy into everything he wanted to do. I think a second round that rates to be the first pick in the second round is much too high but I am willing to hope for the best.....
    Guess it's a good thing there's no chance it will be the 1st pick in the 2nd round..

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    I agree he has realize the potential to be worth the 2nd rounder.
    I would have really preferred an offensive lineman (Jake Long) but I think a his play has already justified a 2nd round pick (a starting CB with the ability to cover bigger WR). He is a very physical DB that fits well in our defensive scheme. I don't like the 2nd AND 6th round picks, but you have to give up things in order to get talent I guess.

As far as him being a head case, I haven't heard of him running into the law, nor have I heard about him quitting on a coach and/or his team, so unless those things have happened (If they have, someone please let me know) I don't think that should be a worry.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I don't know where this Jake Long stuff comes from. The guy's 27 and at the worst the second best LT in the league. He's not getting traded for anything short of a Hershel Walker package.

Mood

Pretty similar package the Jets gave up for a 25 year old Antonio Cromiarte he had more baggage but I believe the Jets ended up giving a 2 for him. Pretty remarkable how similar of players they are very good 1v1 but don't make them do much else and they will gamble and give up the big play every once in a while. I really can't see how a Colts fan could be mad you have to really over value draft picks to be mad at this trade IMO.

Sports Logo

OG Deuce Lutui and OT Alex Barron just got caught. They're not Pro Bowlers but light years better than Olsen and Linkenbach. Sign em.

Also just remembered Vontae is Verdon Davis's little brother. Vernon had the same maturity and work ethic problems early on and eventually got his head on straight.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 08-26-2012 at 05:22 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post: