Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Colts-Bears

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Colts-Bears

Also, Donald Brown dropped two passes and missed at least a couple blitzes. Made me miss Addai.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

It's not the RG3's a Vick style if the #1 read isn't there take off and run guy. It's that Shanahan's designing runs for him. Like 8 of his 10 carries were designed runs. That's fine, RG3's obviously a good runner. But don't be surprised when your 220lb QB gets hurt if you're going to have him running 160 times a year.

Also Reggie Wayne looked like a mythical being yesterday. Holy crap he was good.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

My other issue yesterday and maybe it was just me, but I saw an awful lot of our bull **** zone rearing it's ugly head which IMO totally neutralized Vontae and Powers.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also Reggie Wayne looked like a mythical being yesterday. Holy crap he was good.
    His interview after was even better

Always felt like Reggie wasn't as appreciated as much as he should be, Peyton's shadow I guess. Shame, guy's a class act professional.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Something else to consider.

Only FOUR rookie QB's have ever thrown for over 300 yards on opening day in the NFL.

Manning, Cam Newton, RGIII, and Luck. So yes he may not have played incredible, but he is still in ratified air after just his first professional start. Just think of what he'll be able to do if we are able to get our offensive line fixed a bit...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Isn't able to throw it that far, and didn't that time are 2 different things and you used the wrong one.

If throwing hard and being athletic mattered Michael Vick would be the best QB the NFL has ever seen.
    Read my post again, I said "he wasn't able to throw it that far on the other pick" I didn't say that "he isn't able or is incapable of throwing it that far", I think he is capable but the notion that he didn't have time to throw it that time is not true.

Banned

Here is a video of the highlights by the way, Luck pick is at the 11sec mark.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Here is a video of the highlights by the way, Luck pick is at the 11sec mark.

Number of comments here:

1) That was the free play pick that was sposed to be a CHI offsides. That interception should not have counted. Watch Bears' #71, pre-snap. Luck, everyone watching on TV, and everyone at Soldier Field thought it was a free play and would likely come back as a CHI penalty, but the replacement refs thought otherwise and decided to give the Bears a free possession.
    2) Notice that he hikes it and immediately is flushed from the pocket. It wasn't like he had a hard pocket to stand there and deliver from; he had to run backwards about 10 yards just to be able to plant and deliver. Admittedly, it wasn't the best throw, but regardless it shouldn't have counted.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-10-2012 at 02:37 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...kie-jay-cutler

Nice Luck footage of the game, good stuff, bad stuff.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Mood

Griffin undoubtedly played great. But lets see how he plays with some heat before we claim he is better than Luck.

If you go back and look at Griffin's college tape you can clearly see his main weakness is a relative lack of pocket presence. He doesn't quite feel the pressure as well as Luck. Of course I can't prove it, but I'd be willing to bet that Griffin would of had quite an ugly game if he had the "pocket" that Luck was getting most of the game.

I know it was just preseason, but RGIII couldn't move the ball, at all, against the Bears.

I want to see Luck with some consistent time to throw the football.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Read my post again, I said "he wasn't able to throw it that far on the other pick" I didn't say that "he isn't able or is incapable of throwing it that far", I think he is capable but the notion that he didn't have time to throw it that time is not true.
    I was pretty sure you didn't mean it that way, that would be ridiculous.

But, you did write it were it sounds like you are saying he physically could not throw it that far.

I agree with you. He just badly under throw it. He had time, he just didn't step into the throw. Consistent pressure will do that.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Honestly, I was very unimpressed with his longer throws. They were all underthrown. Not saying that means he's inaccurate or lacking arm strength, but I'll certainly be watching closely the next few games.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Next two games at home vs. lesser opponents will tell a lot. If we can't stop run and can't protect within reason, it probably means a top 2 pick in the draft. If we compete and show some potential in the trenches, there's hope we won't be in another 2-14 year.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

21. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Honestly, I was very unimpressed with his longer throws. They were all underthrown. Not saying that means he's inaccurate or lacking arm strength, but I'll certainly be watching closely the next few games.
    Just the long throws?

He was far less accurate than normal, all over the field.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Just the long throws?

He was far less accurate than normal, all over the field.
    He definitely was. Yeah he got pressured a ton, but he did in preseason too and he threw more bad balls just in the 1st half than he did all of preseason. It would've been a lot worse if Reggie didn't put stick-um on his hands. Hopefully just some first real game jitters.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ya I wouldn't be looking at this first game as typical Luck.

Hell, I remember being a little uncomfortable after Peyton's first game, because he got rocked against Miami, it was pretty brutal, but he still managed to piece together a few drives. He didn't throw his first TD until under 2 mins left in garbage time.

You just can't judge off the first game, improvement will come. And RG3 isn't gonna throw 330 2-0 75% of his passes forever, either. They'll even out, probly sooner than later.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-10-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Just watched the game for the first time. I expected the Colts to really stink it up but I think things were actually closer than the score indicated.

For one, while the Bears broke a few big runs, I thought the run defense was decent. Davis and Powers also looked fairly good in man to man coverage, although Brandon Marshall being the talent he is outclassed them at times. What annoyed me was the Colts playing zone coverage at times, where they were routinely carved up. I hope to see less of that as our personnel becomes more familiar with the defense. The pass rush was pretty awful.

On the offensive side, for all the pressure he was under Luck showed a lot of poise. He made some misguided throws, but some pretty good ones too. I don't think he's really that far away, and really that's something you can say for the entire team. The Bears are pretty good and should be a playoff team at worst and have the potential to overachieve a bit and win the NFC. The Colts are a lower middle class team, not as good as the first or second team out of the playoffs in the AFC this year, but I think somewhat better than Buffalo, Jacksonville, scrub teams like that.

Minnesota will be a good test and I think a better barometer of where the team is. Based on what I saw this week, I think they're good enough to beat Minnesota 27-17.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ya, we weren't entirely blown out, there were periods where we actually could have made it real interesting in the 2nd half, but they'd score and put it out of reach again. Seems like we scored a TD to start the 4th quarter and were down only 13 points, which..... not easily surmountable, but you just never know. I remember thinking, if we can force a punt, we can maybe throw another score on and get this within 6 and that would be a real interesting way to finish the game, but then CHI orchestrated a fairly draining drive ending in a touchdown and sealed the deal.

The game felt a lot like Peyton's first game 14 years ago... like a much better playoff-bound team was beating the snot out of a rookie QB and his very mediocre team, but you could see flashes of something good in that young QB.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-11-2012 at 10:28 PM.

It would've been nice had Vinateri hit that FG to close the half. Not only would that have tightened the score but it would've been good for morale and momentum. I think that drive kinda got lost in the shuffle because of the deflating miss.

The Colts got nothing out of a pretty good drive and in fact came away deflated....
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

This was just one loss against a good team that has an excellent defense and running game. Give the team time to gel, especially with the newcomers. I still see us as a possible 7 win team this year. I think Andrew will improve by leaps and bounds as he experiences the speed of the NFL compared to college and preseason. We won't make the playoffs but there will be signs that this team will be good a few years down the road. I still think that trading Freeney for some skilled talent that fits the 3-4 scheme better and could make an impact on the defensive front seven. I like Bethea and Zibby as the safeties for right now. I think after a few more weeks our CB tandem will be much better as well. Once we get Angerer back it will be a bit smoother. Next years draft and free agency will be critical for us and I expect our new coach and GM will fare better as far as drafting than the past few years.