Thread: Allen Iverson Looking for a team

Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Allen Iverson Looking for a team

From Yahoo

Allen Iverson would like to play in China, if not the NBA

At various points over the past two years, we've described NBA legend Allen Iverson's attempts to find a roster spot. The days of The Answer's all-encompassing basketball celebrity are long gone — teams have decided that he never transitioned out of superstardom particularly well and consider him a less-than-stellar veteran presence. So while Iverson still harbors dreams of playing in the world's best league, he also realizes he probably has to ply his trade at another level of the game.

Not all those options are bad, though. In fact, A.I. claims to have plans to play in China if the NBA doesn't come calling. From the Chinese publication NetEase, as translated by HoopsHype (via PBT):

Iverson replied: "I definitely want to return to the NBA, but if I can't get back there, I'm hoping to play ball here (China)."

With regards to his team of choice, Iverson chose to reply obliquely, saying: "I'm not leaning towards any one team, and there's no 'first choice' like what the others say." However, Iverson points to the CBA as one of his backup options. "China is still one of my choices, but the team that wants me to join has got to show me that they really mean it, like 'hey we really need you'."

The China Basketball Association would be a terrific choice for Iverson, and not just because his infamous practice rant would combine with teams' attendance policies for some amazing tabloid stories. In his prime, Iverson was among the most popular players in the country, impressing Chinese fans with his toughness and perseverance despite being the smallest player on the court at virtually all times. Given the way that China has warmed to former NBA All-Star Stephon Marbury, a player much less well remembered than Iverson, it's likely that A.I. would be an interstellar sensation if he chose to play in the CBA.

However, these quotes suggest that Iverson would not be content treating a career in China as a functional victory lap for a job well done in the NBA. If his primary concern is to feel wanted as a basketball player, then Iverson clearly still considers himself to be a valuable talent with the ability to help a franchise towards very real goals. Playing in China wouldn't be a branding opportunity, as Marbury has seemed to treat it, but another chapter in the saga of Iverson the athlete.

There's a certain irrationality to this approach, the same lack of long-term perspective that made the end of Iverson's NBA career a disappointment. Yet, while his pride and self-reliance make Iverson a problematic player at this stage in his career, they are also admirable qualities in isolation. For better and worse, Iverson has remained the same person he was when he became a thrilling, divisive presence in the mid-to-late '90s. He may no longer be especially relevant to the basketball world, but the qualities that made him such an important figure in the history of the NBA are still very much alive. He will remain genuine to the very end.
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Allen Iverson Looking for a team

Before anyone says it...

"Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Cool why did you you need to make this?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

Allen Iverson Stephon Marbury dream team in China!

Was never a huge fan of his, but still, it's a shame that his career ended the way it has.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was never a huge fan of his, but still, it's a shame that his career ended the way it has.
    Is it? Or is it a good cautionary tale for young players coming into the NBA to be good team players, avoid making enemies, and most of all take care of your money because it's not a never-ending gravy train.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

I would rather try David Harrison as a backup center, and I have less than no interest in that happening either

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Personally, I'd volunteer for someone to take a ball peen hammer to one of my cajones rather than see Iverson within 100 miles of Indy. I dislike him that much.

As far as needing the money, tough luck, I could care less. Any player that has netted 3M or more has already earned more at an age less than 30 than 99% of the population will see in a lifetime of working. If they aren't smart enough to save a portion large enough to sustain them at least to a modest standard of living for the rest of their lives, then screw 'em. They deserve where they end up.

Clearly he needs to play a bit more to secure his place ahead of Reggie on the all time greats - *is shot*

How old is Iverson? How did he actually perform in China?

Pacers don't have a ton of talent, but are pretty solid at each position. I just wish they'd take a chance on adding bigger talent. Not saying Iverson, but someone like Blatche. He's got a pretty bad history, so that pretty much means the Pacers won't do it, however, I truly think they have the type of players and coaches that can actually get through that thick skull to get him to behave and play right.

When stars aren't knocking on your door, you really need to take a chance when there is an oppt. They did wonders for Lance, and although he's not perfect, he's certainly come a long way.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Is it? Or is it a good cautionary tale for young players coming into the NBA to be good team players, avoid making enemies, and most of all take care of your money because it's not a never-ending gravy train.
    Actually, I read an article once, where one of Iverson's entourage actually WAS looking out for Iverson and squirrelling money away the whole time he played. Iverson is loaded because of this one friend who knew what he would need. I'll see if i can dig up that link.

[edit]I knew I remembered reading it. To say that he's "loaded" might not be the right choice of words but if this is true he's certianly not broke. Turns out it was sourced from Peter Vecsey, so take that for what you will.[/edit]

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...231239875.html
    Last edited by travmil; 09-06-2012 at 08:00 AM.

Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Mood

Dunno, I don't really want him myself. I was just starting a conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    Cool why did you you need to make this?
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

I bought some of his shoes back in the mid-late 90's. They were pretty rad.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Indra View Post
    I bought some of his shoes back in the mid-late 90's. They were pretty rad.
    Yes...I had several pairs of the answer 1's in high school. There were super comfy.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

21. The Following User Says Thank You to HC For This Useful Post:

again.....
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm was really surprise he didn't get on the HEAT a couple of years ago. Every time I saw Iverson's name, I was like, here we go, AI joins HEAT. But it never happened, and I don't really know why to be honest. Even now. Seems/seemed logical.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."