Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where does Reggie Miller rank in your opinion on the all time shooting guard list?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Where does Reggie Miller rank in your opinion on the all time shooting guard list?

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1. MJ
    2. Kobe
    3. Oscar--Hey he played it a bit
    4. West-Although I see him as the greatest combo guard ever.
    5. Clyde
    6. Maravich- He guarded SGs, but ran the show from what my dad said.
    7. Gervin
    8. Dumars
    9. Ray Allen
    10. Reggie

I put Dumars so high because of his defense. I really think Reggie and Ray are a push. But I think if Ray takes another, he will be above. AI is 11. His career FG% is 42%. If had played more selectively I would have put him higher.
    Wade not even in the top ten???

We are talking a guy who has two championships, one of the greatest final performances of all time (blame the refs all you want, but Wade was the most aggressive player on the court and was rewarded), he has averaged 25 PPG on almost 50% shooting. Is one of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA, and perhaps the best shot blocker from the shooting guard position ever.

He's already been in the league for a decade, so are some of you that concerned with an extra 5 years of work? I mean Maravich was only in the league for ten freaking years and never won a title. Heck, he only made it to the playoffs 4 times and you've got him 6th on your list.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 09-05-2012 at 02:17 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: Where does Reggie Miller rank in your opinion on the all time shooting guard list?

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Wade not even in the top ten???

We are talking a guy who has two championships, one of the greatest final performances of all time (blame the refs all you want, but Wade was the most aggressive player on the court and was rewarded), he has averaged 25 PPG on almost 50% shooting. Is one of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA, and perhaps the best shot blocker from the shooting guard position ever.

He's already been in the league for a decade, so are some of you that concerned with an extra 5 years of work? I mean Maravich was only in the league for ten freaking years and never won a title. Heck, he only made it to the playoffs 4 times and you've got him 6th on your list.
    Crap I deleted him when I moved Oscar in. He is above Clyde. And will surpass West soon

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    See I guess to me I always thought of Maravich as a PG, but I guess he really was more of a combo guard/shooter. It's tough for me to not put Reggie in the top 10, but I absolutely could not put him top 5 either. To me MJ, Kobe, West, Wade, and maybe Iverson are unquestionably above Reggie. Of course I could see where on a non Pacers board Reggie might not even crack top 15. Certainly his memorable playoff performances give him a huge boost.

Most non Pacers fans I know have him top 20-25.

A few people dont even have him as a HOF'er, but that is a debate for another day.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    A few people dont even have him as a HOF'er, but that is a debate for another day.
    Not much of a debate as of Friday
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

In his era, Reggie was the 3rd best sg behind MJ and Drexler. For the following generation, Kobe is clearly better, but after him you could argue that Reggie was better than AI and Ray Allen. I would say that Wade is better than Reggie. I would put reggie as number 5 SG of all time when you consider how he performed in the playoffs
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Most non Pacers fans I know have him top 20-25.

I've only seen Bill Simmons write this nonsense
    David "And One" West

Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Mood

It doesn't really matter to me, all I know is that he is one of the best.
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

just a reminder... a replay of "Looking back at Reggie" is coming on at 6 on NBATV for those who hadn't gotten a chance to watch it yet ....
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Much of Iverson's success was due to preferential treatment from the refs. Wade is the only guy I've seen who gets more.

1. MJ
    2. West
    3. Kobe
    4. Drexler
    5. Reggie
    6. Gervin
    7. Maravich
    8. Monroe
    9. Allen
    10. Dumars

Wade: Come back in 4 or 5 years then I will feel comfortable ranking him as his career winds down. Until then he has way too much time left to be in this discussion.

AI: For a guy who is known mostly for his scoring he was pretty bad at it. Yeah, he scored a lot because he had the ball all of the time, but hey if Stephenson controls the ball 75% of the time your team is on offense he is going to end up with a lot of points. It just might come at 41% shooting. AI might be one of the all-time great dribblers, but he is hardly an all-time great SG.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

1. MJ
    2. Oscar
    3. Kobe
    4. West
    5. Clyde
    6. Gervin
    7. Wade
    8. Allen
    9. Reggie
    10. Pearl

I don't count Pistol Pete or AI as SG. This list leaves guys like Nique, Barry, English, Erving, and Havlicek off who were more forward than guard. In Oscar Robertson's best years in SA, they used bigger lineups with him at SG so I included him. This list gets real different real quick when you add Erving to the SG spot, but again he primarily played SF in their best lineups in Philly and with the Nets.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

1. MJ
    2. Kobe
    3. West
    4. Drexler
    5. Gervin
    6. Wade
    7. Thompson
    8. Iverson
    9. Allen
    10. Reggie

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Much of Iverson's success was due to preferential treatment from the refs. Wade is the only guy I've seen who gets more.
    The referees treated Reggie pretty well too, in fact many of those top 10 sg's were helped by the referees during their entire career, Kobe,MJ,Reggie,Iverson, etc, etc.

I agree with most everyone who's putting Reg at the bottom of the top ten. Obviously Kobe, MJ and West are the top 3. I honestly never thought of D Wade as a top 2 guard historically but he has had a pretty great career do far. Guys like AI, Mitch Richmond, and Clyde Drexler were all easily more talented than Reggie ever was.

One of the things that made Reggie so great was the fact that he wasn't as talented, or as athletic as a lot of these other guys, yet you always felt that he could not only compete with other greats, but that he could BEAT other greats. He's the ultimate "big game" player who would take his game to another level when the stakes were the highest.

Whether he's a top 10 2-guard historically or not, Reggie is the man.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Why is everyone leaving off the Big 'O'?
    I've always thought Oscar was a point guard.

B]Reggie's number 1 in my heart though. He's my all-time favorite player but that doesn't mean I can't try to be objective about where he stands compared to other Shooting Guards.[/B] I think 8th is about right.
    I think on this we can pretty much all agree. If you're posting on this board, Reggie is a major reason why.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

I don't get this ranking Ray Allen ahead of Reggie? Allen is an all-time great player no doubt, but he was never on the same level as Reggie.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I've always thought Oscar was a point guard.
    Same here... And I thought the same about Jerry West... I guess mainly because both of these guys averaged close to 10 APG at one point in their career...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    Same here... And I thought the same about Jerry West... I guess mainly because both of these guys averaged close to 10 APG at one point in their career...
    I thought the same, then when I looked around everyone ranks him with SGs, so I decided to include him in my list.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

J7F

Look I take Iverson off the top ten list, he was a ball hog and detrimental to his teams success, it makes you wonder how he ever got to the finals, aside from a terrible East at the height of his prime.

I think its very hard to argue that Wade is top 5. He relies too much on the refs to be considered elite. He has had great numbers in his career, but he has never done anything in this league when not paired up with another dominant player. That is a fact. Reggie Miller had no problem carrying his teams to great playoff successes. When wade was the man the Miami Heat were a fringe playoff team. Also i think more so than any other player on the list, Wade relies on a screen at the top of the key to make his move to the rim. In my opinion Wade's only redeeming quality that makes him elite is his ability to finish around the rim, so he is top 10. But not top 5.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Wade, as much as I dislike him, is better than Reggie. Reggie is not in the top 5, but probably in the top 10. As others have said, in the playoffs he raised his game. The fact is, he could have produced more during the regular season and showed that very early in his career. But getting his numbers wasn't important. Not until the close of the games.

The difference with Miller is that you knew who would be shooting the ball...but guys still couldn't stop him from getting that shot off. THAT is why Reggie is better than so many other SG's....because getting a shot off at crunch time during the playoffs may be the most important thing a SG can do.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't like including combo guards in a list of shooting guards... Iverson, Big-O, West, and Dumars to me were more PGs than anything, but they also played some 2-guard. Here's my list of top pure shooting guards up to Reggie:

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Kobe Bryant
    3. Clyde Drexler
    4. Dwyane Wade
    5. Reggie Miller
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    The referees treated Reggie pretty well too, in fact many of those top 10 sg's were helped by the referees during their entire career, Kobe,MJ,Reggie,Iverson, etc, etc.
    While true, fewer have had their games elevated by preferential treatment as much as Iverson.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I don't get this ranking Ray Allen ahead of Reggie? Allen is an all-time great player no doubt, but he was never on the same level as Reggie.
    This comparison has been generated primarily by the media. Anybody that has actually watched these two for their careers would have Miller easily ahead of Ray.
    David "And One" West

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    In Oscar Robertson's best years in SA, they used bigger lineups with him at SG so I included him.
    Didn't he only play for CIN and MIL?
    DG for 3

35. The Following User Says Thank You to ColeTheMole For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This comparison has been generated primarily by the media. Anybody that has actually watched these two for their careers would have Miller easily ahead of Ray.
    It's immediately clear that Reggie's playoff stats are better than Ray's. Miller averaged over 30ppg two separate times and Allen never broke 27ppg. When Allen did finally make it to the finals, it was on the backs of Garnett and Pierce. Miller could have done the same thing. Taking nothing away from Ray, Reggie was simply a more dangerous offensive player in the playoffs or during big games for that matter. He was a leader and provided swagger to boot along with a higher scoring average in the playoffs........

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post: