Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where does Reggie Miller rank in your opinion on the all time shooting guard list?

Default Where does Reggie Miller rank in your opinion on the all time shooting guard list?

Yes I'm blatantly stealing from Mike Wells blog today (go here to read him)http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...hooting-guard/

But it got me to thinking where does Reggie rank, obviously it's all subjective so there is no true answer but let's just see where everyone puts him.

I'm not sure yet where I'm going to go but for certain Michael Jordan will be # 1 & Koby will be # 2.

After that?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Where does Reggie Miller rank in your opinion on the all time shooting guard list?

There is no way for me to give an un-biased answer. So I won't attempt to.

#1 in my book.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Default Re: Where does Reggie Miller rank in your opinion on the all time shooting guard list?

Note to all - there will be a LOT of Pacers fans putting Reggie at #1 or at some high point that others will disagree with. Let's keep those disagreements civil and respectful, understanding that Reggie holds a place in the hearts of many people on here that no other NBA player can come close to.

I don't like ranking players because I just don't watch enough other teams to get a good view of other 2 guards except when they play the Pacers. That said, I don't think I'd put Reggie at #3. I could be convinced he's in the top 5 all-time, definitely in the top 10.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Note to all - there will be a LOT of Pacers fans putting Reggie at #1 or at some high point that others will disagree with. Let's keep those disagreements civil and respectful, understanding that Reggie holds a place in the hearts of many people on here that no other NBA player can come close to.

Exactly.

I won't argue with folks who put MJ or Kobe ahead of Reggie, because I understand that point of view, and where people who feel that way are coming from.

But, I place a lot of weight into intangibles and sentiments since the original question was... "in your OPINION".

In my opinion the "Greatest" shooting guard to ever play in the NBA was Reggie Miller... and since it's my OPINION I get to base it off of whichever set of criteria I choose.

If it were a "which shooting guard has the most championships?" poll... Then it would be fact-based, not opinion-based.

All of that to say, Reggie is #1 for me
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

MJ. Kobe........ ??? Reggie
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Of the guys I personally remember watching, he's 8th. I included some guys who were well before my time but with pretty good reason in their cases. It's certainly possible that the Gervin, Maravich, Monroe triumvirate should be higher or lower respectively but I can't say for sure where they belong other than that they do belong. West may be as low as 5 but I'm not putting Wade or AI over him simply because he's the logo.

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Kobe Bryant
    3. Jerry West
    4. Dwyane Wade
    5. Allen Iverson
    6. Clyde Drexler
    7. George Gervin
    8. Pete Maravich
    9. Earl Monroe
    10. Ray Allen
    11. Joe Dumars
    12. Reggie Miller
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Reggie is difficult to rate . Regular season? No, he doesn't even belong in the Hall of Fame and doesn't rate very high on any shooting guard listing. Playoffs? He is near the top. I suppose you have to take both regular season and playoffs into account. too difficult for me to make a list

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Of the guys I personally remember watching, he's 8th. I included some guys who were well before my time but with pretty good reason in their cases. It's certainly possible that the Gervin, Maravich, Monroe triumvirate should be higher or lower respectively but I can't say for sure where they belong other than that they do belong. West may be as low as 5 but I'm not putting Wade or AI over him simply because he's the logo.

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Kobe Bryant
    3. Jerry West
    4. Dwyane Wade
    5. Allen Iverson
    6. Clyde Drexler
    7. George Gervin
    8. Pete Maravich
    9. Earl Monroe
    10. Ray Allen
    11. Joe Dumars
    12. Reggie Miller

Ray Allen, D-Wade, Kobe, and Iverson are definitely not higher than Reggie
    "We want Miami"

Reggie is 2nd behind MJ
    "We want Miami"

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    I don't get how you can't put Wade and Kobe ahead. Iverson is arguable because he had the skills but not the longevity. Allen, however, is about as close as you can get to Reggie based on his effect on the game - what do you see that puts Reggie ahead of him other than some high-visibility playoff performances?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    You've got to be kidding me.

Reggie Miller over Kobe Bryant and Dwayne Wade? Reggie's resume', as impressive as it is, doesn't even belong in the same stratosphere as Kobe. Kobe is a top 10 all time player.

Most objective observers would have AI and Ray Allen above Reggie too. Pretty much all would have AI over him. Allen is the only one of the four guys that could be debated, but in recent years he has elevated himself over Reggie, IMO.

I know that we are supposed to be sensitive to the sentimental feelings people have about Reggie, but that doesn't mean that we should stand by and let rationality and reality be thrown out the window.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-05-2012 at 10:11 AM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Banned

It's so hard to make a list of shooting guards, MJ first, Kobe second, West 3rd and after that is hard, wasn't Drexler a shooting guard?, Dwade, Iverson, Dumars, Ray, Pete and Reggie? (note that after 3rd place nobody is
    in order).

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah Clyde is clearly ahead, so is Kobe Bryant. Ray Allen is. I don't know that I would put AI up there. He scored a lot, but he gave up almost as many points as he scored. Reggie was a much better defender than AI. I guess I don't put my horse blinders on for only scorers. DWade hasn't done enough for me yet, but he is going to be there when it's all said and done.

Here is a good list of the top ten:

http://hoopsmanifesto.com/articles/b...-all-time.html
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

See I guess to me I always thought of Maravich as a PG, but I guess he really was more of a combo guard/shooter. It's tough for me to not put Reggie in the top 10, but I absolutely could not put him top 5 either. To me MJ, Kobe, West, Wade, and maybe Iverson are unquestionably above Reggie. Of course I could see where on a non Pacers board Reggie might not even crack top 15. Certainly his memorable playoff performances give him a huge boost.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

How has D-Wade not done enough for you to be above Reggie, but Ray Allen has? That makes no sense to me.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    How has D-Wade not done enough for you to be above Reggie, but Ray Allen has? That makes no sense to me.
    DWade probably is better at this point in only 9 years, (but its my little homering mechanism that is coming out). I see DWade's body breaking down quickly, but that is foresight. In terms of ability he is higher than Reggie and Ray, but that is not necessarily the question. James Flight White would be in this conversation then. We are talking All-Time. I think Ray Allen's 16-year career has been better than Reggie and AI and even DWade at this point. Ray was unbelievably good for many years and his numbers would have been better if he hadn't taken a lesser role in Boston. He just isn't top echelon. None of these guys are. DWade could enter that top echelon by the time his career is over. He has played nine seasons and his body has taken a beating. If his career wanes more like Iverson, then his career totals won't be as good. DWade is the better talent and his averages are better. I'm not arguing that. Longevity is a huge thing as careers go and Ray and Reggie both have that. I think people are associating Ray's career moreso with what he is now and not what he was in Seattle and Milwaukee. People forget how good he was and many never got to see him play a whole lot. Reggie's playoff numbers are what bring him up the ladder so much. Ray has a championship that AI and (gulp) Reggie don't. (GOD IT HURTS).

We are splitting hairs with these guys.... don't get me wrong. I guess it is more of an interpretation of the question than it is anything. And prioritizing certain aspects over others... i.e. AI's scoring versus his brutal defense, Longevity, etc.
    Last edited by pacergod2; 09-05-2012 at 10:57 AM.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

Did you just compare Wade to James White? 0.o

Mood

Did you just compare Wade to James White? 0.o
    Did you read what I wrote?!?! 0.o

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    DWade probably is better at this point in only 9 years, (but its my little homering mechanism that is coming out). I see DWade's body breaking down quickly, but that is foresight. In terms of ability he is higher than Reggie and Ray, but that is not necessarily the question. James Flight White would be in this conversation then. We are talking All-Time. I think Ray Allen's 16-year career has been better than Reggie and AI and even DWade at this point. Ray was unbelievably good for many years and his numbers would have been better if he hadn't taken a lesser role in Boston. He just isn't top echelon. None of these guys are. DWade could enter that top echelon by the time his career is over. He has played nine seasons and his body has taken a beating. If his career wanes more like Iverson, then his career totals won't be as good. DWade is the better talent and his averages are better. I'm not arguing that. Longevity is a huge thing as careers go and Ray and Reggie both have that. I think people are associating Ray's career moreso with what he is now and not what he was in Seattle and Milwaukee. People forget how good he was and many never got to see him play a whole lot. Reggie's playoff numbers are what bring him up the ladder so much. Ray has a championship that AI and (gulp) Reggie don't. (GOD IT HURTS).

We are splitting hairs with these guys.... don't get me wrong. I guess it is more of an interpretation of the question than it is anything. And prioritizing certain aspects over others... i.e. AI's scoring versus his brutal defense, Longevity, etc.

Wade may be passed his prime. We're not sure
    "We want Miami"

Wade has already won two titles. Past his prime? Were you guys watching in game 4 against our very own Pacers?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why is everyone leaving off the Big 'O'?

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Kobe Bryant
    3. Oscar Robertson
    4. Jerry West
    5. Clyde Drexler
    6. Allen Iverson
    7. Dwyane Wade
    8. Reggie Miller
    9. George Gervin
    10. Joe Dumars

Reggie's number 1 in my heart though. He's my all-time favorite player but that doesn't mean I can't try to be objective about where he stands compared to other Shooting Guards. I think 8th is about right.

Mood

Wade has already won two titles. Past his prime? Were you guys watching in game 4 against our very own Pacers?
    Yes I did. I never said he was past his prime. I said he may never have the longevity of the other guys I am comparing him to. Longevity is a skill in this league. We don't have anybody in this discusssion that didn't play in the league for 15 years outside of Wade and that is because of his tremendous talent. The other guys have longevity on him. That is a huge reason why so many players don't ever come close to being in this discussion.

If James White wasn't a complete idiot, he had all the talent and athleticism in the world to be great. Unfortunately for himself he was his own biggest problem. There are so many players who were more athletic and talented than guys like Reggie and Ray, but couldn't sniff their jock straps.

James White wasn't that talented. Good athlete, but not a great talent.

Anyway, Big O was a PG no?

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

1. MJ
    2. Kobe
    3. Oscar--Hey he played it a bit
    4. West-Although I see him as the greatest combo guard ever.
    5. Wade
    6. Clyde
    7. Maravich- He guarded SGs, but ran the show from what my dad said.
    8. Gervin
    9. Dumars
    10. Ray Allen
    11. Reggie
    12. AI
    I put Dumars so high because of his defense. I really think Reggie and Ray are a push. But I think if Ray takes another, he will be above. AI is 11. His career FG% is 42%. If had played more selectively I would have put him higher.
    Last edited by Major Cold; 09-05-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Left Wade off after revision

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Why is everyone leaving off the Big 'O'?

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Kobe Bryant
    3. Oscar Robertson
    4. Jerry West
    5. Clyde Drexler
    6. Allen Iverson
    7. Dwyane Wade
    8. Reggie Miller
    9. George Gervin
    10. Joe Dumars

Reggie's number 1 in my heart though. He's my all-time favorite player but that doesn't mean I can't try to be objective about where he stands compared to other Shooting Guards. I think 8th is about right.
    I always thought O was a SF. Same with Pistol Pete, I thought he was a PG. There are some of these guys that aren't exactly SG. I have a hard time calling AI a SG.