Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking Luck in fantasy football

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Picking Luck in fantasy football

I want to take Luck in my fantasy draft tomorrow, but I'm not sure.
    "We want Miami"

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Picking Luck in fantasy football

I drafted him, as my backup... 10th round. No one even said a peep and we're talking a league of mostly Colt fans. It was sorta odd.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you are in a league with other Colts fans, I'd say forget it because you'll have to reach for him. If you can get him later than without a doubt pick him up.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

I'm in a league with my friends (mostly Bears fans) and I already had Brady (I know I know...but he honestly was the best player available!) but I drafted Luck in like the 10th round and used him as a trading piece to somebody who had Carson Palmer as his starting QB. I think I'm going to do the same thing next year with the new hot QB prospect

I had a chance to pick him up in a dynasty league, even though I had Matthew Stafford already. I'm sort of thinking I'll regret not doing it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am only in one fantasy league with a bunch of relatives that no one takes extremely seriously, so I considered doing it but someone beat me to him in the 11th round. Oh well, my starting QB is Stafford and I ended up getting Andy Dalton as my backup at the tail end of the draft. What I still don't get is people drafting K's before the final round, come on man!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am only in one fantasy league with a bunch of relatives that no one takes extremely seriously, so I considered doing it but someone beat me to him in the 11th round. Oh well, my starting QB is Stafford and I ended up getting Andy Dalton as my backup at the tail end of the draft. What I still don't get is people drafting K's before the final round, come on man!
    No joke, I picked up Janikowski one year with a waiver claim and got laughed at for wasting it on a kicker, I won that league by one point, and the guy I beat to win it is the one who dropped Janikowski during his bye week and picked up my kicker (Bironas) after I dropped him for Janikowski. Dude *****ed to high heaven. Still *****es about it to this day and it was a few seasons ago now. At every fantasy football draft, we all do a shot from the bottle of bourbon I won that year (Maker's Mark 46) and I never fail to twist the knife by thanking Sebastian Janikowski.
    Last edited by travmil; 09-04-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

A kicker will likely be your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th best scorer in a standard FF league setup. Nobody gives kickers any fantasy respect, or just regular respect, for that matter, lol.

I usually pick up a kicker in the 6th or 7th. A top 3 kicker will outscore your 3rd receiver. Like for instance... I picked up Akers. Last year he was the 43rd highest scoring player --- and kickers don't even show up in the offensive stat sorting on Yahoo! People probly don't realize that. Akers scored more points than Larry Fitzgerald and Adrian Peterson... Ryan Mathews... Roddy White.... you get the point.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-04-2012 at 09:48 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

I had Luck in my queue, and the person two picks in front of my grabbed him.

I was had as hell!!!! LOL

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    A kicker will likely be your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th best scorer in a standard FF league setup. Nobody gives kickers any fantasy respect, or just regular respect, for that matter, lol.

I usually pick up a kicker in the 6th or 7th. A top 3 kicker will outscore your 3rd receiver.
    Picking a kicker before the last round is the single most asinine thing you could possibly do in a fantasy draft.

Last year, David Akers set an NFL record for most points scored a season. Regardless of the fact that was neither expected nor is it repeatable, even in the best year a kicker has had in the history of football, the difference between Akers and Nick Novak, the 12th best kicker, (the worst kicker in a standard fantasy league) was 54 points. 191-137. A hair over 3 points per game.

The difference between the best QB, Aaron Rodgers and the Michael Vick, the 12th best, was 235 points. Nearly 15 a game.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Picking a kicker before the last round is the single most asinine thing you could possibly do in a fantasy draft.
    Seriously, dude, I see you do this a lot. Are you 12? You're so damn opinionated and belligerent.

Not only are you incorrect, but you're adamant about it. Stupid.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll modify my previous statement, I usually pick up a kicker around the 8th/9th round.

I'm in two leagues, and I drafted Luck as my only qb in both leagues. I will start him, with confidence, each and every week. I was laughed at in one league just because the commisioner had him ranked as his 24th QB. I don't need some dork to write down where players are supposed to be drafted. If I see a player I like, I draft him regardless of round
    David "And One" West

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm in two leagues, I got Luck in both. In the one league, I actually manually picked him as my backup QB in the 10th, and in the other which was an auto-pick draft, I set my pre-draft rankings so that Luck was like my 40th preferred player, hopefully ensuring I'd get him as a backup QB, which I did. So I got Luck in both leagues.

I also hand-picked Akers in the manual league, and then just coincidentally landed Akers in the auto-pick draft, so I nabbed Luck and Akers in both drafts, haha.

Anyway, take a look at this screenie:

This is a snapshot of my team from my auto-pick league, meaning I didn't draft a single one of these guys, they were drafted for me. Standard draft. The only pre-draft ranking modification I made was bumping Luck up, and I've made no further roster moves as of yet.

The column to the right was last year's scoring for each player. The stupid kicker that no one respects was the 3rd leading scorer of all the players that were drafted for me. Of course I'd never draft Akers over any top 15 starting QB/RB/WR... but once all those guys are gone, I'll certainly eyeball an elite kicker. The point of fantasy is to build a monster starting lineup. Two of my starting receivers I have didn't even touch the kicker's output. And the nice thing about kickers are they generally don't get hurt... whereas I seem to lose 2-3 receivers every year. Point is, my point stands... a kicker will be your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th best scorer, generally. Even if you don't land a record-breaking kicker like Akers, they'll still be right there with the rest of your starters in scoring. It's not a position to poo-poo in fantasy. The lowest output for me is generally the 3rd WR and TE. Unless you land one of the top 1-2 TEs, you're generally not gonna get a massive amount of production from that position. Even backup RB can drag me down. I can say with some confidence that WR and RB are the two positions I suffer by far the most injuries to, so even those stud WRs and RBs that you think you're gonna ride all year are gonna frustrate you.

Also QBs seem to rule scoring now, but there are also a lot of them to choose from these days, whereas RB seems to have dropped off and there aren't as many it seems, and when you consider you generally have 2 starting RBs and only 1 QB, I tend to nab a RB first, and then I'll go best available RB or QB in round 2, and then fill the other in round 3.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-04-2012 at 11:06 AM.

After your number 1 QB and your number 1 RB, everything else is pretty irrelevant in fantasy football. Yes, Akers was your third highest scoring player of last year's guys, but who really gives a crap? Based on the scoring system in your league he scored half as many points as Matt Freakin' Ryan so clearly QBs get a lot of love in that league.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's a pretty standard FF league setup. Actually... it's the default Yahoo FF league. I set up the league, and I didn't change a single scoring option.

And uhhhh you ever heard of Matt Ryan? 4200 yards, almost 30 touchdowns, 12 interceptions.... that's a pretty damn good year by any standard.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-04-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Well then yahoo is crazy for QBs. Matt Ryan was the 8th best fantasy QB last year and in my espn league scored about 331 points over the season. The point being though, the 8th best QB scored twice as many points as the best kicker. So yes, kickers are irrelevant over the course of a whole season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

But you only get 1 of each there, broseph. Why are you two comparing the QB position to the K? You get so many roster slots and each one needs to produce. If kickers and everyone else except your starting QB and RB don't matter, then try something for me --- you start your best QB and RB all year, and clear out the rest of your roster and let me know how you do.

You and BRush related?

You are completely missing the point. Swapping out Akers for the next best kicker loses you a whopping 26 points over the course of the whole season. Matt Ryan and Ray Rice vs. your opponent's counters to those two will determine whether you win most weeks. No one is saying they can win weeks by themselves, but generally those are the two most important spots. The kicker is not that important.

This is like when a guy I knew in high school tried to tell me he was a better basketball prospect than George Hill because he scored 6 points every night, that's consistency man! George Hill he scores 30 points one night and 50 the next, that's not consistency! And yes this is a real conversation I had, God bless the IPS system.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 09-04-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not missing the point at all, if you have that mentality with every position, then you're not going to win. Those 2-3 extra points at each position can net you up to 10-20 extra points in a week. In Yahoo at least, that can go a long way towards a win. Over-generalization is bad, mmkay.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This is like when a guy I knew in high school tried to tell me he was a better basketball prospect than George Hill because he scored 6 points every night, that's consistency man! George Hill he scores 30 points one night and 50 the next, that's not consistency! And yes this is a real conversation I had, God bless the IPS system.
    How the hell is that even remotely close to the same thing? I'm talking about not ignoring a kicker, I drafted mine in the 8th-9th rounds for chrissakes. Not like I'm taking him #1 overall. I'm simply taking slight exception to the comment that anyone who takes a kicker before the 12th round is basically an idiot. They're not. A kicker can score points just like any other position, in fact they can score as much or more than most positions except probably your starting QB and RB positions (and maybe WR if you land a top 3 stud), and isn't that what fantasy football is all about? Scoring points?
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-04-2012 at 01:15 PM.

If you select a kicker before the last or second to last round, you're doing it wrong. Saying other people don't realize how important the kicker is only hurts your point because it means you could probably still get fantasy MVP David Akers in those late rounds and not give up a chance at getting a very good positional player.

The point is, kickers generally score in the same range. Akers season last year was an outlier. After him, John Kasay (No. 2 fantasy kicker) and Nick Novak (No. 12 fantasy kicker) last season were separated by a whopping 18 points.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's funny, I typically dominate or are in the top 1-2 my leagues in scoring every year... I guess I need to learn how to do it "right".

(Ironically, after smearing everyone all season long averaging 110-120 points, I then proceed to inexplicably lay a 60-point egg every year in the first round of the playoffs, but tha's a whole other story. Or mayyyybe, I shouldn't have drafted my kicker before round 12..... hm.......)
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-04-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Well I can tell you it's certainly not because of your kicker. The year before Akers record breaking year, the leading kicker scored 158 points, the year before that 158 again, the year before that 159. And almost everyone of those years the difference between that number 1 kicker and the number 10 kicker was roughly 25-30 points.

Compare that to the number 1 wide receiver and the number 10 wide receiver for example, the difference is usually about 50 points over the course of a season and has been as much as 100 points different.

Sure kickers are nice reliable scorers, but specificlaly going after one like David Akers, just isn't a very sound strategy. It's unlikely he repeats last season ever again.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 09-04-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You're right, it's not just my kicker, it's also every other position in addition to the starting QB and RB. Last year it was The Gronk who carried me through some tough times, who'da thunk a TE would be a fantasy monster.