Thread: Dwight Howard's height

Default Dwight Howard's height

When he came into the league he was, I thought, considered 6'10".

Draft express has a profile of him as a prospect and listed him at 6'10.25" in shoes. (by the way, he has an impressive 7'4.5" wingspan, which obviously helps a lot)

I've had multiple people tell me they thought he grew since coming into the league and that he's now 7' tall.

NBA.com has him at 6'11".

Kareem just tweeted this photo of the two of them together. Keep in mind that Abdul-Jabbar, like Roy Hibbert, is 7'2" tall.

So, I'm saying he's maximum 6'11", but he still could be 6'10" based on what I think I'm seeing here.

What do you think?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Dwight Howard's height

I'll agree. He might gain a bit if he straightened his knees. But he's not 7 foot.

Kool... Dwight Howard is with the guy from Airplane!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I had always thought that Kareem was taller than what he was listed.

But I think Dwight is no taller than 6'10" and closer to 6'9". If you look at photos of him next to Hedo and Rashard, they all look the same height.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had always thought that Kareem was taller than what he was listed.

But I think Dwight is no taller than 6'10" and closer to 6'9". If you look at photos of him next to Hedo and Rashard, they all look the same height.
    I've heard that too about Kareem. He's 7'3", maybe 7'4".

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    I've heard that too about Kareem. He's 7'3", maybe 7'4".
    Maybe, but you also shrink as you age. Not sure how much that impacts a guy that size.

I've never looked Howard's height up before but I assumed he was around 6'9" or so. Foster looked taller then Howard and Hibbert looks more then 3" taller then Howard.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dwight has never looked especially tall next to other 7-footers. It would not surprise me at all if he never grew past 6'10."

Kareem, on the other hand, is the one NBA superstar on earth that was embarrassed to be tall. I could see him as really being 7'4."

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I need to dig into my various Magic game photos which includes one on-the-floor game for ideal perspective. There is no way he's more than 6'10".

An 18 year old Dwight measured out at 6'9" w/o shoes at the combine. He's probably grown a bit since then, but I doubt he's 6'11" w/o shoes.

Kareem was one of few guys who was taller than he was listed. In his playing days, he was closer to 7'4" than his listed 7'2".

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I need to dig into my various Magic game photos which includes one on-the-floor game for ideal perspective. There is no way he's more than 6'10".
    Yeah he is not taller than 6'10" I remember watching him playing against Bynum and he looked really small.

Yeah, I'm guessing he's closer to 6'10", but he might be a little taller than that photo when you factor in basketball shoes instead of Sperrys (or the equivalent) and it looks like Kareem's on the rug a bit.

Sweet medium tshirt Dwight. I just dislike that guy so much.

As to Kareem's height I would say 7'2" is still probably pretty close. I remember him & Ralph Sampson standing next to each other and Ralph was just ever so slightly taller than Kareem.

Also Dwight's tweets about meeting Kareem & telling everybody how thrilled he is to be a Laker made me want to vomit for sure. I can remember people telling us that Howard was being punished enough for going to L.A. which he didn't want to do. B.S. he wanted the big market and the future titles that this will bring.

I have to ignore this kind of stuff because I get depressed every time trying to figure out why I spend so much time & effort following a league that while not rigged in the standard sense of the word but certainly rigged so that certain clubs can just keep getting superstar after superstar while other markets (us) have to settle with being competative. Sigh....

Like I said I just have to try & ignore this.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    As to Kareem's height I would say 7'2" is still probably pretty close. I remember him & Ralph Sampson standing next to each other and Ralph was just ever so slightly taller than Kareem.

Also Dwight's tweets about meeting Kareem & telling everybody how thrilled he is to be a Laker made me want to vomit for sure. I can remember people telling us that Howard was being punished enough for going to L.A. which he didn't want to do. B.S. he wanted the big market and the future titles that this will bring.

I have to ignore this kind of stuff because I get depressed every time trying to figure out why I spend so much time & effort following a league that while not rigged in the standard sense of the word but certainly rigged so that certain clubs can just keep getting superstar after superstar while other markets (us) have to settle with being competative. Sigh....

Well if the Pacers in their time had traded JO for Bynum(the rumors was that the Pacers turned Bynum/Odom down) and then few years later turn Bynum for Howard they would probably have Howard instead of the Lakers
    Last edited by vnzla81; 09-05-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Well if the Pacers in their time had traded JO for Bynum(the rumors was that the Pacers turned Bynum/Odom down) and then few years later turn Bynum for Howard they would probably have Howard instead of the Lakers
    No we wouldn't. You know why and you know it's true. Quit stirring **** just to stir ****.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    No we wouldn't. You know why and you know it's true. Quit stirring **** just to stir ****.
    He was just joking with me. It's an inside joke between us, hence the sticking out of the tongue.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

It is certainly a bit disheartening that Dwight acting like a selfish immature baby was rewarded with a trade to the Lakers. His behavior over the past year was some of the most embarrassing that we've seen from a star in recent years, and it got rewarded with a trade to the mecca of basketball where he will be a vital cog of an all-star team. And Orlando got a bunch of crap for him. Most people on this forum could have gotten a better deal for Howard if they were in Orlando's shoes. Howard had no choice but to play hard for Orlando this year because he needed to show teams that he was healthy. Plus his image needed rehabbing a bit. Orlando could have had a sweet bidding war for him as the trading deadline got close.

In the past two years you've had Melo and Dwight, two of the league's biggest stars, sulk and demand trades. Melo was rewarded with a trade to New York and Dwight was rewarded with a trade to Los Angeles. This is a dangerous precedent. The next unhappy star on a small market team is going to look at those two guys and think, "if I kick and scream long enough then I will be rewarded with a trade to a very appealing place." We are going to see a lot of this over the next 5 seasons, IMO.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kareem has dress shoes on, Dwight has loafers. There's an inch and a half there.

as far as howard being 7 feet tall or even 6-11, i am not really buying it.
    there have been numerous height listings over the years that just don't jive with reality.
    i remember hakeem was listed at 7 feet tall and no way was he really a 7 footer. i remember seeing him against shaq in the finals and that was the biggest one inch height advantage i have seen. shaq could see over the top of hakeem's head. ewing, a legit 7 footer, was also noticeably taller.
    i can believe howard being a legit 6-10 but i am not buying 6-11 or taller. one thing roy has over dwight's many overall advantages is several inches of pure height and length which can help him in the paint at challenging his shots.

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Kareem has dress shoes on, Dwight has loafers. There's an inch and a half there.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: