Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reggie statue proposal

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Reggie statue proposal

That's why it's a prototype...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why it's a prototype...
    Exactly... this particular model was not a final product but rather an idea of what could be. From my understanding Rick Fuson with the Pacers had an interest in seeing if the project was feasible first. Apparently after about 3 months time there were too many nays. The love was there for Reggie but a championship was needed to push that type of project over the top.

Funny thing is this site has always been respected for being the ultimate place for Pacers and other than the Pacers brass members of PD were the only ones to ever see that prototype.

P.S. The same guy that tried to get Reggie's statue is the same person who is working on the Bird statue at Indiana State and made the Carmel Indiana War Memorial by the Palladium. http://bill-wolfe.com/index.html

Another link that has a painting the artist made of Reggie http://bill-wolfe.com/paintings_update.htm The guy went to Indiana State so there is the Bird connection, but even in Bird's hey day with the Celtics the artist was always a Pacer fan first.
    Last edited by RWB; 09-04-2012 at 12:35 PM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

I like this pose, maybe on a plexiglas base to capture the elevation, and minus all the anguished Knicks fans who know with complete certainty that the shot will go in.

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Him jumping around here would be perfect
    Smothered Chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    If a statue of a basketball player is to be built in Indianapolis, it should be of the greatest player to have a connection with the city. That would be Oscar Robertson. There is just no comparison when it comes to Oscar's accomplishments. No, it wouldn't be proper for it to be at BLF, but maybe somewhere on the renovated Georgia Street where they are honoring various Hoosiers. Then the second statue, one of Reggie could grace BLF.

It might be humorous to position the statues so that Oscar is throwing Reggie the ball, with Reggie getting set to launch a three! Of course that would be one really long pass.

Oscar never played for the Pacers though. I understand your reasoning but Reggie is more deserving
    Smothered Chicken!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it's a great idea. However, I'm not thrilled with that clay model. Not only does it look like an alien, but that pose isn't how I'd remember Reggie at all. Sure, he shot that runner every now and then but I'd rather have him shooting with his leg slightly kicked out or his hands up in the air after just draining a three. He is after all one of the greatest three point shooters of all time.

The question is, when is the timing right?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    I think it's a great idea. However, I'm not thrilled with that clay model. Not only does it look like an alien, but that pose isn't how I'd remember Reggie at all. Sure, he shot that runner every now and then but I'd rather have him shooting with his leg slightly kicked out or his hands up in the air after just draining a three. He is after all one of the greatest three point shooters of all time.

The question is, when is the timing right?
    The time is always right.

Sports Logo

I have the suspicion that that clay model pose came from the PHX game winner, it's the exact kind of shot that won it. I watched it on youtube earlier, I'd dig it up but I'm lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Oscar never played for the Pacers though. I understand your reasoning but Reggie is more deserving
    That is why I said it would not be fitting to have it at BLF. As far as the second part of your reply, nobody who ever played basketball in Indiana at any level would be more deserving of a statue than Oscar. He and his Attucks team broke barriers, and he is still the only NBA player to average a triple double for an entire season, and almost average one for his career. He also has an NBA title in his resume, just not with the Pacers, and was an Olympic Gold Medalist.

Maybe it is just a generational sort of difference in our views. I'm getting to be an old fart.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    That is why I said it would not be fitting to have it at BLF. As far as the second part of your reply, nobody who ever played basketball in Indiana at any level would be more deserving of a statue than Oscar. He and his Attucks team broke barriers, and he is still the only NBA player to average a triple double for an entire season, and almost average one for his career. He also has an NBA title in his resume, just not with the Pacers, and was an Olympic Gold Medalist.

Maybe it is just a generational sort of difference in our views. I'm getting to be an old fart.

i understand your point
    Smothered Chicken!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Reggie was a great player but the bottom line to me is
    No Championship...No Statue!!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Staverman View Post
    Ahh. Thus the complete lack of statues around Wrigley Field.

Wait.....

Seriously, I think a championship can't be the only criterion for whether a player meant enough to the franchise and city to merit a statue.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Ahh. Thus the complete lack of statues around Wrigley Field.

Wait.....

Seriously, I think a championship can't be the only criterion for whether a player meant enough to the franchise and city to merit a statue.
    All the more reason why no title should equal no statue. It shouldn't be the only criteria, but it should atleast be one.

Reggie deserves something, but I don't think a statue is that something.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    All the more reason why no title should equal no statue. It shouldn't be the only criteria, but it should atleast be one.

Reggie deserves something, but I don't think a statue is that something.
    I disagree, because individual players are more than just bringing championships - especially since they don't have total control over what happens on the floor since there are other players around.

I can't imagine Wrigley without a statue of Ernie Banks, for example.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Staverman View Post
    18 years with one franchise. One of the greatest clutch players ever. Deserving
    Smothered Chicken!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

I disagree, because individual players are more than just bringing championships - especially since they don't have total control over what happens on the floor since there are other players around.

I can't imagine Wrigley without a statue of Ernie Banks, for example.

Had Reggie won 2 NBA MVPs, I'd probably agree that a statue is warranted. But without any major individual accomplishments and without any major team accomplishments, it's hard for me to elevate Reggie to that level.

I think statues should be left for the creme de la creme.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Had Reggie won 2 NBA MVPs, I'd probably agree that a statue is warranted. But without any major individual accomplishments and without any major team accomplishments, it's hard for me to elevate Reggie to that level.

Yeah at first I thought "yeah he deserves an statue" but the more I think about it the more I feel that he doesn't deserve one, what are they going to put on the bottom part of the statue? second best 3 point shooter of all time and what else? Ok been part of the dream team and his five all stars what else?

Yes, you have a point, but given how few teams actually win championships, and how few players outside those teams get the MVP, I think the meaning of the player to the fans has to be a huge factor, probably the overriding factor.

It isn't like the statue couldn't be moved if a player comes along who eclipses Reggie in every way. There's plenty of room in both entry plazas (inside and out) plus places in the concourse for statues, so we aren't talking about limited space issues.

Getting a statue does one important thing - it reminds everyone who walks into the Fieldhouse that we had a player loved by the fans who gave a great deal to the Pacers and the city. Why not take advantage of that good feeling?

Ultimately we're talking here about an honor that is relative to the Pacers franchise alone, not to the rest of the league.

Now, should Reggie have the only statue? That would be "no", there should be one of Slick and even one that's a group setting of the ABA championship teams (because I think that to most people those were TEAMS that they remember, not just specific players). We should start using some of that outside space to show off things we're proud of.
    BillS

29. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

J7F

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Yeah at first I thought "yeah he deserves an statue" but the more I think about it the more I feel that he doesn't deserve one, what are they going to put on the bottom part of the statue? second best 3 point shooter of all time and what else? Ok been part of the dream team and his five all stars what else?
    At this point he is "Mr. Pacer" by virtue of having played more games for the franchise than any other player. Considering it is VERY unlikely anyone else will reach that longevity - not just because it was with one team but because he played so long - that's not going to go away any time soon. Just put "Reggie Miller. Mr. Pacer. Basketball Hall of Fame, 2012" and leave it at that.
    BillS

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Yeah at first I thought "yeah he deserves an statue" but the more I think about it the more I feel that he doesn't deserve one, what are they going to put on the bottom part of the statue?
    "Hall of Fame sharpshooter"

Should Indiana State not have a Larry Bird statue since ISU won zero national championship with Larry?

No.

Give Reggie one and maybe give Slick one too.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mel Daniels won championships (Slick too). Just sayin.

Yes, you have a point, but given how few teams actually win championships, and how few players outside those teams get the MVP, I think the meaning of the player to the fans has to be a huge factor, probably the overriding factor.

Statues should be an exclusive club. Giving out statues to really good players, devalues the statue IMHO.

I'm not trying to pee on the Reggie parade. I think BLF needs something celebrating Reggie's HOF career. More than just a retired jersey.
    Last edited by Since86; 09-05-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Statues should be an exclusive club. Giving out statues to really good players, devalues the statue IMHO.

I'm not trying to pee on the Reggie parade. I think BLF needs something celebrating Reggie's HOF career. More than just a retired jersey.
    Whos to say that the statue would be outside BLF
    Smothered Chicken!

Where it's put doesn't change my opinion.