Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reggie statue proposal

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Reggie statue proposal

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where it's put doesn't change my opinion.
    just saying
    "We want Miami"

Statues should be an exclusive club. Giving out statues to really good players, devalues the statue IMHO.

I'm not trying to pee on the Reggie parade. I think BLF needs something celebrating Reggie's HOF career. More than just a retired jersey.
    How would it devalue the statue? It's not like anyone is suggesting JO gets a statue (although, by the "never won an MVP" logic he only finished a couple votes shy of 'deserving' one of his own in 2003).

Reggie Miller is not just a good player, he is a Hall of Fame player.

Like it or not, he remains the face of this franchise. Go around the country and tell people your a Pacers fan - 9/10 people will immediately mention how much they loved watching Reggie in the 90s (that's certainly been my experience, anyway).

I'm really stunned that we're are even debating the merit of a statue.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Gill For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    At this point he is "Mr. Pacer" by virtue of having played more games for the franchise than any other player. Considering it is VERY unlikely anyone else will reach that longevity - not just because it was with one team but because he played so long - that's not going to go away any time soon. Just put "Reggie Miller. Mr. Pacer. Basketball Hall of Fame, 2012" and leave it at that.
    I think that instead of an statue they should have a corner dedicated to him with videos and stuff. My thing with an statue is that I want my kidds to see the greates player at something and Reggie doesn't qualify in my opinion.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Reggie means more to the Pacers than pretty much any player ever will. It would take multiple titles from someone to change that. Without Reggie Miller, the Pacers aren't in Indiana right now.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I'm a Pacers fan because of Reggie Miller. I was an 8year old kid glued to the TV, by myself in the room most of the time, watching Reggie make his name. The impact he had on the franchise is not lost on me. I can assure you of that.

Banned

To me an statue has to tell an story and an statue about Reggie doesn't do that, for example MJ's statue, you have to spend time reading all the records he broke all the MVP's he won, all the championships, with Reggie the story is just to short In my opinion other than the 18 years with the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    To me an statue has to tell an story and an statue about Reggie doesn't do that, for example MJ's statue, you have to spend time reading all the records he broke all the MVP's he won, all the championships, with Reggie the story is just to short In my opinion other than the 18 years with the franchise.
    I'm not sure that Reggie deserves a statue, but you did an incredible job of downplaying all of his importance for the city and the franchise here. Well done.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

imagine standing in front of a Reggie statue talking to your kid about the gangly kid from California who never backed down, even from the greatest basketball player of all time. Talk about a guy who in his last game as a pro went out guns blazing with his back against the wall against the hated Pistons, talk about 8 points in 8.9 seconds, talk about 27 points in the 4th quarter.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Yeah at first I thought "yeah he deserves an statue" but the more I think about it the more I feel that he doesn't deserve one, what are they going to put on the bottom part of the statue? second best 3 point shooter of all time and what else? Ok been part of the dream team and his five all stars what else?
    Mr. Indiana, built the Fieldhouse, Drew fans from near and far.....

I get the championship argument, I just 100% disagree with it.

Without Reggie Miller, I am never a fan of the Pacers, I never really get into the NBA, and I probably never find this place (though some people may have enjoyed it more that way )

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    imagine standing in front of a Reggie statue talking to your kid about the gangly kid from California who never backed down, even from the greatest basketball player of all time. Talk about a guy who in his last game as a pro went out guns blazing with his back against the wall against the hated Pistons, talk about 8 points in 8.9 seconds, talk about 27 points in the 4th quarter.
    NJ bank shot, followed the the dunk in overtime.

39 at 39 years old....

A statue at the end of Georgia St. right in front of the Bankers Life would be sick IMHO.

Also I think the obvious pose for the statue would be a slightly fading 3 point shot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'm not sure that Reggie deserves a statue, but you did an incredible job of downplaying all of his importance for the city and the franchise here. Well done.
    That was not my intention, I'm just giving an opinion and yes I know Reggie was important, I wouldn't be a Pacers fan if it wasn't for him.

Refreshing to see a debate where both sides are civil, even though they disagree.

Shade musta made everyone take their meds today

I do wonder what the hold up for any statue has been, if there is a hold up (money, fan perception)

Surely Slick should have a statue, no? Then again, IMO surely he shoulda been in the HOF ages ago.

Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Mood

John Stockton recieved a statue and he never won a championship. He got it because he was so loyal to one franchise. (Reggie played 18 for the Pacers, and John Stockton played 19 for Utah).
    All the more reason why no title should equal no statue. It shouldn't be the only criteria, but it should atleast be one.

Reggie deserves something, but I don't think a statue is that something.
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

That was not my intention, I'm just giving an opinion and yes I know Reggie was important, I wouldn't be a Pacers fan if it wasn't for him.
    Most of us wouldn't. I have never been a huge fan of statues. I'd like to think that only legendary players who transcended the game deserve them.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

To me you're good enough for a statue if you were beloved enough and/or seen as significant enough by your community to have a statue. Nothing more, nothing less. We loved Reggie, he was huge for our franchise, and his # in the rafters was highly appropriate, as would be a statue IMO.

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Gill View Post
    How would it devalue the statue? It's not like anyone is suggesting JO gets a statue (although, by the "never won an MVP" logic he only finished a couple votes shy of 'deserving' one of his own in 2003).

Reggie Miller is not just a good player, he is a Hall of Fame player.

Like it or not, he remains the face of this franchise. Go around the country and tell people your a Pacers fan - 9/10 people will immediately mention how much they loved watching Reggie in the 90s (that's certainly been my experience, anyway).

I'm really stunned that we're are even debating the merit of a statue.

exactly
    "We want Miami"

A championship should be part of the criteria, but it should not be the end-be.

It's not all of Reggie's fault that he didn't get one. Part of it could be TPTB, the same groups of people that may be preventing a Reggie statue at this present time for not giving him a little more help.
    Last edited by PR07; 09-06-2012 at 12:23 PM.

At least within the borders of the city, Reggie transcended basketball during his career in Indianapolis. If it wasn't for Reggie, there may not be BLF. Without BLF, Indiana has no premier arena venue in 2012. No B10 championships, etc. The implications for that are pretty big.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Also I think the obvious pose for the statue would be a slightly fading 3 point shot.
    As poses go, this pose would not be good for a statue, as the subjects arms would covering his face. While iconic, I just don't think it would communicate well. It would need some other embellishments with it to make it into a scene and communicate the movement and action.

I really love the pose of him repping Indiana on the Jersey. Or the famous pose from his final game with his finger in the air.

An alternative theme could be Reggie kneeling down and giving fives to a group of young kids or something. Cementing his legacy for the community service that he so rarely acknowledged, and his character off the court.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    As poses go, this pose would not be good for a statue, as the subjects arms would covering his face. While iconic, I just don't think it would communicate well. It would need some other embellishments with it to make it into a scene and communicate the movement and action.

I really love the pose of him repping Indiana on the Jersey. Or the famous pose from his final game with his finger in the air.

An alternative theme could be Reggie kneeling down and giving fives to a group of young kids or something. Cementing his legacy for the community service that he so rarely acknowledged, and his character off the court.
    Bath great ideas, but I would have to go with the repping Indiana one

So Reggie doesn't deserve a statue because he wasn't Michael Jordan? I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, buddy, but nobody was Michael Jordan. If you only build statues to the "greatest player at something," then there would only be like 10 statues in the country. You build a statue to someone you want to honor, to someone who meant a great deal to the team, to the fans, to his city. Ernie Banks wasn't the greatest home run hitter of all time. Neither was Harmon Killebrew or Babe Ruth. Does that mean they're not deserving of a statue? Of course not. This idea that there has to be great requirements met to be honored with a statue is foolish. You could argue that nobody did more for this organization than Reggie Miller. That without Reggie there might not be an Indiana Pacers, that half this board wouldn't be fans if he weren't around. I know he's the reason I became a fan. He was a Hall of Fame player in the Michael Jordan era. His only fault was not being Michael. Not many teams won championships during Reggie's prime other than the Bulls. Belittling his accomplishments for this franchise by comparing him to Michael Jordan is pretty obtuse.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Indra For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    At least within the borders of the city, Reggie transcended basketball during his career in Indianapolis. If it wasn't for Reggie, there may not be BLF. Without BLF, Indiana has no premier arena venue in 2012. No B10 championships, etc. The implications for that are pretty big.
    Exactly. Right on
    "We want Miami"

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers#1Fan View Post
    A statue at the end of Georgia St. right in front of the Bankers Life would be sick IMHO.

It would certainly look better than the nearby bizarre Wooden statue with the legs.