Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL Sunday Ticket Rant

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default NFL Sunday Ticket Rant

I don't understand why the NFL allows DirecTV to maintain a monopoly on Sunday Ticket.

I have Fios and even though Comcast has its issues for the last year or two I have been pretty satisfied with it. I have no desire to get DirecTV for several reasons:

1.) I live in an apartment building in a gentrifying neighborhood. Therefore, I don't have the room or the right atmosphere for a satellite dish. Even if there was somehow room to install it, some neighborhood kids would probably steal it.

2.) Satellites are stupid. I find it somewhat hilarious that my cable always works, while one of my wealthier relatives, who made more money this month than I probably have over the past few years, can never watch TV when it rains or storms hard. I just have no desire to deal with that crap. What is the need for satellite dishes anymore anyway, when you can get hundreds of channels on Fios without one?

3.) I like Fios just fine and have no reason to adjust to a new service provider.

I know a ton of NFL fans in a similar predicament. They don't want DirecTV but would otherwise pay the NFL a few hundred dollars a year for Sunday Ticket. Every year NFL it is the same, please take my money.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NFL Sunday Ticket Rant

I get NBA League Pass every year and would easily pay for this. Yet, I will never pay for DirecTV.

Oh well, it's their loss more than mine. lol

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The bigger question why would you shell out any money to watch a team that's going to go 0-16 when you are RGIII's backyard? Green.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

You want Sunday Ticket without DirecTv? Go buy a PS3 and stream it.

As a Directv subscriber (who does not have Sunday Ticket), I find that it takes a MAJOR downpour for me to lose signal, (one of the benefits of having installed the dish with a LITERALLY PERFECT direct line of site with no trees blocking at all.) which I get maybe once every six months or so. Even during that MASSIVE 2-day icestorm that hit Indy the day after the Pacers canned JOB, I didn't lose signal until 2AM the second night, and it was back within an hour. My cable internet on the otherhand, for some odd reason drops if the winds blows the wrong way.

B. FIOS isn't cable.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I do not have a PS3, but I know people who use this option:

http://www.slashgear.com/sony-and-di...-ps3-31245533/

Sony and DirecTV have announced that they’ve teamed up once again this year to bring PS3 owners access to NFL Sunday Ticket. The two companies did the same thing last year, but there’s one key difference this time around: the price. Users “without access” to DirecTV can get NFL Sunday Ticket on PS3 for $299.95, which – even though it sounds pretty expensive – is a bit cheaper than it was last year.

I do not have a PS3, but I know people who use this option:

http://www.slashgear.com/sony-and-di...-ps3-31245533/

Sony and DirecTV have announced that they’ve teamed up once again this year to bring PS3 owners access to NFL Sunday Ticket. The two companies did the same thing last year, but there’s one key difference this time around: the price. Users “without access” to DirecTV can get NFL Sunday Ticket on PS3 for $299.95, which – even though it sounds pretty expensive – is a bit cheaper than it was last year.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

At least you arent stuck with COX cable!!!!! they SUCK!!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Mood

DirecTV pays the NFL a buttload of money to have the exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket. The contract works out to over $700 million per year. What's stupid about it, is that all DirecTV is doing is taking the CBS and Fox feeds and making them available out of market.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

I'm considering trying Game Rewind this year. It's only $35. Probably listen to the game live and then watch the archived broadcast the next day. And they have a condensed version so it shouldn't be too boring since I'll already know the outcome.
    link

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't understand why the NFL allows DirecTV to maintain a monopoly on Sunday Ticket.

I have Fios and even though Comcast has its issues for the last year or two I have been pretty satisfied with it. I have no desire to get DirecTV for several reasons:

1.) I live in an apartment building in a gentrifying neighborhood. Therefore, I don't have the room or the right atmosphere for a satellite dish. Even if there was somehow room to install it, some neighborhood kids would probably steal it.

2.) Satellites are stupid. I find it somewhat hilarious that my cable always works, while one of my wealthier relatives, who made more money this month than I probably have over the past few years, can never watch TV when it rains or storms hard. I just have no desire to deal with that crap. What is the need for satellite dishes anymore anyway, when you can get hundreds of channels on Fios without one?

3.) I like Fios just fine and have no reason to adjust to a new service provider.

I know a ton of NFL fans in a similar predicament. They don't want DirecTV but would otherwise pay the NFL a few hundred dollars a year for Sunday Ticket. Every year NFL it is the same, please take my money.
    Wow, DirecTV must have urinated in your cheerios. I think somebody is jealous that DirecTV had a great idea that the pushed the NFL in to doing it, and your real problem is that you live in poor location that has limited your options. A personal problem really. Your claims about satellite prove you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to how you get your Fios and cable broadcasts. Oh, that's right. They come from satellites. There are other options. Maybe you should research it.

I cannot speak for the OP, but there are plenty of places around here that cannot get directv....and it has nothing to do with the quality of the neighborhood. Plenty of upscale places have tree lines that block the possibility of satellite, which to be frank sucks a lot.

We had directv years ago (talking 1995ish) and we lost it a lot to storms. I have been told by numerous people things have gotten better, but my good friend has it and a few times we have gone over every time it storm and they lose reception. Kind of discouraging for someone who enjoys watching tv shows on a regular basis.

Actually, sometimes you have to work with what you have. My only option as of now is Cox cable......which plains sucks. I dont have good enough signal (because of the trees) to get directv and FIOS is not offered here

Perhaps the OP has researched his options and is just venting that NBALP is not offered on more platforms. An opinion he is entitled to (and I highly doubt he is alone)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

A year ago I went to watch a UFC fight in Westfield where a friend had DirecTV, and he had to just call and ask for a refund.

It was unwatchable, because of a fairly normal, run of the mill storm. It wasn't some epic storm. A group of friends and I grilled that day, and had all the food setup and were getting ready for the event to start, and the storm ruined it.

You guys can claim it's 'been fixed', or 'not that bad' all you want, but nothing is going to trump my real life experience.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Mood

Yeah I have DirecTV and on rare occasions it will act up and have bad reception. One I can think of is during the Olympics earlier this summer. Not quite as big of a deal there since we all knew the outcome of the events by the time they aired but still.

Are you guys sure Sunday Ticket was always a Directv exclusive? I was thinking at one time it wasn't but I could be wrong.

If anyone is having frequent reception issues with Directv in the rain or when the wind blows, you either have an obstructed view of the horizon or you dish is misaligned (or both). Your mount could've settled some or a bolt loosened (or never was tightened) or the installer didn't do a good job in the first place.

I noticed I had started to get a little more rain fade than usual. I ASSUMED it was tree growth but then last fall I had a new roof put on and they took down the dish. So I reinstalled it myself and made sure everything was plumb and true and registering properly on the meters. Not only did that eliminate the increased rain fade I was seeing BUT it also made it so I hardly see rain fade at all, even in a deluge. So I know from experience that rain fade should be a fairly rare occurrence.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Yesterday it absolutely poured in Indy and we didnt have a single issue with the reception.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Are you guys sure Sunday Ticket was always a Directv exclusive? I was thinking at one time it wasn't but I could be wrong.

If anyone is having frequent reception issues with Directv in the rain or when the wind blows, you either have an obstructed view of the horizon or you dish is misaligned (or both). Your mount could've settled some or a bolt loosened (or never was tightened) or the installer didn't do a good job in the first place.

I noticed I had started to get a little more rain fade than usual. I ASSUMED it was tree growth but then last fall I had a new roof put on and they took down the dish. So I reinstalled it myself and made sure everything was plumb and true and registering properly on the meters. Not only did that eliminate the increased rain fade I was seeing BUT it also made it so I hardly see rain fade at all, even in a deluge. So I know from experience that rain fade should be a fairly rare occurrence.
    I think it was always an exclusive thing:

Currently, American satellite provider DirecTV has exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket in the United States until the contract expires at the end of the 2014-15 season.[1] Prior to the NFL's latest television deal, other satellite and cable providers were allowed to bid on the rights to carry NFL Sunday Ticket if they agreed to carry the NFL Network. However, DirecTV still won exclusivity for the package, bidding over $700 million a year to do so. This has long been one of DirecTV's selling points to consumers, and thus likely explains the large premium they pay for the privilege. Still, the NFL has indicated that another reason they accepted DirecTV's bid was to limit the availability of the product so that the television networks and especially their local affiliates would be protected. In particular, NFL Sunday Ticket viewers do not count towards local Nielsen ratings; thus offering NFL Sunday Ticket on cable might cost CBS and Fox affiliates millions of dollars in lost revenue from local commercial breaks (as opposed to national ads sold by the networks). In turn, affiliates help subsidize the networks' programming costs.

On March 23, 2009, it was announced that DirecTV paid $4 billion to extend its exclusive contract for NFL Sunday Ticket until 2014.[1] The contract extension also calls for the establishment of an online version of NFL Sunday Ticket, for customers who cannot subscribe to DirecTV by 2012 as well as a separate NFL Network-produced "Red Zone" channel to be carried on other American television providers.

NFL Sunday Ticket was launched in 1994 and was available on both DirecTV (which had launched just months earlier) and on C-band and Ku-band satellites, for which the receiving dishes are larger in size.[citation needed] Within several years, the service became available on various cable systems in Canada as well.[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Sunday_Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Wow, DirecTV must have urinated in your cheerios. I think somebody is jealous that DirecTV had a great idea that the pushed the NFL in to doing it, and your real problem is that you live in poor location that has limited your options. A personal problem really. Your claims about satellite prove you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to how you get your Fios and cable broadcasts. Oh, that's right. They come from satellites. There are other options. Maybe you should research it.
    The way DirecTV and Cable are transmitted are fundamentally different, even if they both involve satellites.

Travmil and others I am glad DirecTV works for you. My relative in Florida's signal becomes scrambled frequently during even minor storms, he has had DirecTV people come and look at it and they say there's nothing they can do. It is very weird that there is such a disparity in service for different customers.

I realize I made the decision to live where I live. I love being within walking distance of both my job and world-class entertainment options. I think it is just stupid that this somehow affects my ability to watch out of market NFL games because only one of the country's largest television providers is able to provide out of market access to the country's most popular sport.

I will probably end up buying a PS3 and going with that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I'm considering trying Game Rewind this year. It's only $35. Probably listen to the game live and then watch the archived broadcast the next day. And they have a condensed version so it shouldn't be too boring since I'll already know the outcome.
    link
    This is a great looking option. I'm busy, so its hard to dedicate so many hours to watching football. Thanks for adding this to the thread.

I'm pretty sure if you live in an area where directv isn't a good choice you can get online access without a PS3.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

The best thing DirecTV did for itself was offer "free installation" of their product. More often than not the "Do it your-selfer" would not take the time and effort to install the dish correctly or just stop as soon as they got any signal and not fine tune that puppy into the high 90% range. Back in the 90's when they charged a boat load for installation I put up my own dish and never got the results of having them "professionally" installed when it came to rain. Right now it takes a pretty massive storm to cut my DirecTV service... The same storms that would make my old comcast cable block up and be pretty much unwatchable. (That being the reason I gave up on Comcast along with the price)
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    The best thing DirecTV did for itself was offer "free installation" of their product. More often than not the "Do it your-selfer" would not take the time and effort to install the dish correctly or just stop as soon as they got any signal and not fine tune that puppy into the high 90% range. Back in the 90's when they charged a boat load for installation I put up my own dish and never got the results of having them "professionally" installed when it came to rain. Right now it takes a pretty massive storm to cut my DirecTV service... The same storms that would make my old comcast cable block up and be pretty much unwatchable. (That being the reason I gave up on Comcast along with the price)
    Don't be so realistic. There are people who know more about the subject than those with real life testamonials and people with 13 years of satellite communications experience.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Sitting at Ruby Tuesday right now... Been this way for 15 minutes....

35. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

My power has gone out more times than my directv in the 8 years I've had it. And its out for a far less amount of time too.

Mood

Yep earlier tonight my DirecTV went out for about an hour during the rainstorm.

I wish I would've thought to check my Directv tonight during the rain storm.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden