Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Report: Pacers to Sign Blake Ahearn

Default Re: Report: Pacers to Sign Blake Ahearn

You know, someday, someone will look back in the archives of PD and say "Wow! We must really have been excited about a D-League player receiving a camp contract since we posted over 175 posts in a thread about him."

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iogyhufi For This Useful Post:

When Blake Ahearn is going into the Hall of Fame someone will bump this thread. That will make Shade angry.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't get mad at me if you were the recipient of those trophies.
    You keep trying to make points about no one here having a life, yet you've been here a few months more than me and have 16,000 more posts...

You should probably attack from a new angle.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Looks like the Pacers got their Brian Scalabrine!!!!!! (Sorry, way late to the party..... but I'm PUMPED WOOOOO)
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Other teams are very public with their attempts. Fans of the Lakers, Mavs, and Celtics have no gripes because their teams are more transparant with their fans. If the Pacers can let it be publicly known that they have meeting with Kaman and Gordon then they can let the fans know of their efforts with other players if they make these efforts. They have nothing to gain by keeping things like that from the fans. I don't assume they made these efforts when I'm given no reason to. It would go so far to know that they even tried to hold off on Hibbert and Hill in order to land Scola but were told what to do by their agents. Scola was already waived before Hibbert and Hill were signed. It's the job of our front office to manage the timing of these signings and at the very least they did an imcompetent job of this.
    While I agree with the premise of your post, there is a flip side. If the team were to be that transparent, leaking word on every player they inquired about, guess which fans/posters would be saying "See, I told you so. No player actually wants to come to Indiana.".

Not that this would cause TPTB to lose sleep (Unless the outcry got to be huge), but it is much like being given a choice of which can of worms do you want to open, and knowing you have to open one of them.

I hope that made sense.

I Believe In Gerald Green repole's Avatar

As resident Gerald Green expert, I watched a lot of DLeague last year and caught a number of Ahearn's games. Don't write him off entirely so fast, despite the pedestrian looking numbers in the 200 minutes or so of NBA action he's gotten.

Offensively the way he scores the ball is Nash-like (obviously not at that level, but stylistically). He's an EXCELLENT shooter, I believe he broke the professional basketball record for most consecutive free throws made last year. He's an alright distributor, nothing special in that regard but he can run an offense and generally handles the ball pretty efficiently. Defensively you're not going to get great stuff from him, but at the very least he's a high effort guy on that end.

A Gerald Green fan who now finds himself rooting for the Suns.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to repole For This Useful Post:

Mood

Wow, I haven't been around a whole lot this off-season, but DAMN.

A couple of points that most of you likely won't read because it will be too long of a post:

1. I love that Blake Ahearn is a camp invite for a small guaranteed portion of a contract. Great shooter off the bench with a limited role. Brings offense in a bench situation that calls for offensive players who can hit some shots. Smart player who can help push the guys in front of him to be better and won't be a locker room cancer. Great signing even if the role he will play is insignificant.

2. There is a lot of airing of grievances in this thread that I think people are more sick of the way Vzla81 responds. I always appreciate your candor and enthusiasm Vzla81 and you seemed to be a very nice person when I met you at one of the summer forum parties. One thing I ask you, is can you try to avoid the short sarcastic responses to other people. It is the sarcasm that rubs people the wrong way and then they get shi**y. I'm not asking you to change your opinions at all, but there are a lot of posts that add nothing but fuel to the fire. Those you can avoid. It's like fighting with a significant other.... it really doesn't need to happen.

3. As for the Pacers as an organization, there is a reason for a "Closed Mouth" approach. This really helps in negotiations to control what flows out of the front office. It can really negatively affect negotiations if rumors are spread that aren't necessarily are true. Also, the front office is pretty transparent in who we brought in to talk to. It is not as if we haven't heard most of the rumors. We are a small market and I can guarantee that for every player's agent we talk to about potentially coming here, we strike out more often than most teams do. So the amount of negative information that would flow from the front office would likely be a turn-off to an already small fanbase. It is the size of the fanbase that predetermines how we handle our business.

4. I love the signings of Ian Mahinmi, Gerald Green, and DJ Augustin. These are all kids in line with the upswing of our team. They are all improving significantly along with the rest of our roster. They make our second unit remarkably better than last year. They add length and athleticism. They add defense and versatility. There is no question in my mind that our front office has a mandate to stay under the LT and these signings were all in line with the long-term outlook of the franchise. We have to rememberto look a few years out and realize the kind of cap space is being held and the players who will need to be resigned.

5. Brand, Kaman, Nash, DWill... all of these players are pie in the sky type of signings. Kaman came in because we had money to spend and wanted a long-term deal that would be severely overpaying him and we wanted to know what kind of money he would cost us. It wasn't a fit clearly. Brand made it known to his agent that he wouldn't play for a lot of teams. We could have been one of them. Nash we made an offer to and he turned us down. DWill never even thought about coming here. It's like obsessing over why a girl who is completely out of your league won't date you. You have to do what fits to be successful. If she dated you, she'd leave you in worse shape than when she got there.

- Homey the Clown
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    The numbers don't lie and there was room to bid on Brand and Scola even with the signing of Hibbert and Hill.
    You misunderstand the bidding. Only teams under the cap can bid on amnestied players. Once Hibbert and Hill were signed, the Pacers were no longer eligible to bid - and, since they were scheduled to be signed before the bid period ended, the only way to bid would have been to defer the signings.

The only issue here is in not getting Hibbert and Hill (and their agents) to agree to wait for signing until the very end of the amnesty period. WE DO NOT KNOW if this was through an error by the FO or through insistence by Hibbert and Hill and their agents to get the signing done before a certain time. WE. DON'T. KNOW.

The bottom line, though, is that we were not eligible to bid on Scola by the end of the bidding period.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    I'm not asking you to change your opinions at all, but there are a lot of posts that add nothing but fuel to the fire. Those you can avoid. It's like fighting with a significant other.... it really doesn't need to happen.
    This, this, a thousand times this. Sometimes names get flung in the middle of a post with substance, and those get missed by the admins because the substance is the major part of the post. OK, fine, folks that's what REPORT is for if it bothers you. The admins aren't perfect, and you also don't know who gets infractions or warnings because we don't post them publicly.

The point is, though, that a post whose sole reason for existing is to slam someone else is far more likely to get a reaction than a name used in the heat of discussion. In the latter case at least there is discussion going on. In the former case it is just a p***ing contest.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    Honest question... Because I dont remember seeing someone break down the timeline... How much room did we have when the bidding happened vs what the winning bids for Brand and Scola were?

Can you maybe post a timeline of all the signings and their cap impacts at the time of signing?
    The timeline is posted by our post. All the PD'ers that where here during the whole FA timeline, this is all in other threads. It's not how much the Pacers salary was at the time of bids or winning bids. It's what could have been the salary at this time. It's what could the Pacers have done to have the room to sign another mid level player and / or an amnesty player.

Throwing 8 mil at Hill prematurely was like 4 mil against the salary cap vs cap hold. He should have not been signed on the 13th. Hibbert should have not signed till the following Friday, which would have freed up another 7 mil. A total of 11 mil under the cap, cap hold vs salary.

11 mil plus is plenty to sign amnesty and / or FA's, yet the big deal here is that by signing Hibbert and Hill after spending this 11 mil would have put the Pacers into Luxury tax by like 8 mil. vs them being under the cap by like 3 mil right now. This tax wasn't an option for them so they simply signed Hill and Hibbert to call it a done deal.

Roy and Hill signed contracts on Friday the 13th of July.

Amnesty had to be filed between 11-17 of July.

On July 6th, it was announced that Philly would amnesty Brand and on the 13th it was announce that Dallas won the bid for 2.1 mil.

On July 12th the Rockets filed Amnesty on Scola, yet it was known for several days earlier that the Rockets was going to amnesty him.

On Sunday, July 15th it was announced that the Suns won the bid for approx. 4.1 to 4.5 mil.
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 09-04-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

"I don't mess with West" ECKrueger's Avatar

People saying this isn't stopping me from posting about Blake:

I agree it isn't stopping me from making a single point, but the argument is certainly impeding my ability to have a conversation about him.

If I make a post about him it'll get lost in arguing. Much as this likely will.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    I'm not asking you to change your opinions at all, but there are a lot of posts that add nothing but fuel to the fire. Those you can avoid. It's like fighting with a significant other.... it really doesn't need to happen.
    Well said.

I know vnzla81 insists it's about difference of opinion.

He, along with more than a few others, are what you could call the Eeyores of Pacers Digest. There's always something wrong, rarely something right, as far as they seem to be concerned; gloom and doom. And those kinds of posts do get really old and tiresome to read after a while. I'm not going to pretend that they don't.

However, not all Eeyores get this kind of treatment by the community, and do they all get the kind of response vnzla81 gets? Hell no. And there's a reason for that. My problem, first and foremost (by far), is the WAY IN WHICH he communicates his opinions. The unfriendly sarcasm, the unfriendly smartass comments, and beating us over the head with the same exact opinion in high volume over a short stretch of time. That is what I primarily take issue with. It's immature. It's disruptive.

There are constructive ways and destructive ways of getting your message out. Bball is someone who can often appear gloomy, but notice nobody jumps on him like this. It's because he's mature about how he posts.

And the funny thing is, I actually do enjoy it when I see vnzla81 in person at forum parties. He's a nice guy; easy to talk with. But on here, for whatever reason, it's like I'm reading a different person.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I've lived in Missouri for the last 10 years and Ahearn's legend is almost on par with Hansbrough (albeit in a state not known for it's basketball products - I think the next guy on this list would be David Lee or Larry Hughes). From all the stories I've read about him and news segments he seems like a really great guy.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Gill For This Useful Post:

Banned

[QUOTE=Hicks;1498374]Well said.

I know vnzla81 insists it's about difference of opinion.

He, along with more than a few others, are what you could call the Eeyores of Pacers Digest. There's always something wrong, rarely something right, as far as they seem to be concerned; gloom and doom. And those kinds of posts do get really old and tiresome to read after a while. I'm not going to pretend that they don't.
    I have said numerous times that I expect the Pacers to make it to the playoffs and probably make it to the second round(positive) but that they are not a Championship team("negative") then you guys focus on the negative and how dare I said they are not a championship team and "OMG", I said that JJ is better than Danny and then a bunch of people thought that someway somehow I said that Danny was garbage, your interpretations to the things I say are the things bothering you.

However, not all Eeyores get this kind of treatment by the community, and do they all get the kind of response vnzla81 gets? Hell no. And there's a reason for that. My problem, first and foremost (by far), is the WAY IN WHICH he communicates his opinions. The unfriendly sarcasm, the unfriendly smartass comments, and beating us over the head with the same exact opinion in high volume over a short stretch of time. That is what I primarily take issue with. It's immature. It's disruptive.
    Nobody is beating you over the head with anything in fact I think is the other way around, "we(the "negative ones) better agree by force that this Pacers off season was a good off season or else" you guys keep beating us over the head that someway somehow we have to be happy with Mahinmi, Green, Augustin and Plumlee, it's hard for you and others to understand how somebody can be upset about not even getting a decent free agent and then you look for excuses in how and why the Pacers couldn't pull it off and if we don't agree with those excuses then you have to call us "negative" and a "bunch of whinners".

And the unfriendly sarcasm and smarta** comments, what do you expect me to do when I get a huge group of people pilling on on me just take it and say thank you?

There are constructive ways and destructive ways of getting your message out. Bball is someone who can often appear gloomy, but notice nobody jumps on him like this. It's because he's mature about how he posts.
    I tried to be constructive until you, Kemo and Xbulletproof came out of nowhere with your "you are a negative bunch of whinners and all you like to do is bit**** about something comments", please tell me how you expect somebody to react to that?

And the funny thing is, I actually do enjoy it when I see vnzla81 in person at forum parties. He's a nice guy; easy to talk with. But on here, for whatever reason, it's like I'm reading a different person.
    And I feel the same way about you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This mentality baffles me. Negative reduction for the sake of... feeling ****y, I guess?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    I think some of you, your brain short circuits when there isn't anything negative to talk about so you make up crap with hollow arguments just to have something to "female dog" about
    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Sometimes, I feel like this place is a never ending whine-fest. People expect a superstar to be added to this team every season, and throw an online hissy fit when it doesn't happen.

If the players we added continue to play like they have now that they're on the Pacers, should we be better? Yes. If our young players improve should we be better? Yes. A combination of these things will make us quite a bit better. So, it's not a stretch to imagine this team is better than last year, and isn't that the goal of the off season?

Granted, I'm not one of the people who's screaming you have to do something NOW if you EVER want to win a title, or omg you're soooo not trying to win!! As long as you don't have a team full of Murphleavy contracts then opportunities will present themselves to get better.
    Here are the posts I was talking about by the way and nope I wasn't beating anybody in the head with anything before that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My father used to say: "The first time someone calls you a horse you punch him on the nose, the second time someone calls you a horse you call him a jerk but the third time someone calls you a horse, well then perhaps it's time to go shopping for a saddle."

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Vzla81, I really think our front office should have made one more move. I was really hoping to go get Brand. He fits our style of play perfect and I thought he could be had on the cheap. His one year of Amnesty cost would not have been prohibitive to our cap space either. I thought we made a major mistake not going after him, but I also think it may have been a directive from his agent to not come here, because the likelihood of us signing him long-term were minimal and he wanted to go somewhere his Bird Rights would do more for him.

Do I love the things we did, absolutely, but I also thought it could have been better. I support your views a lot. (I really liked Monta Ellis for us). Sarcasm is a ***** though. Your sarcasm is why you typically are a target for the attacks, sometimes baseless, sometimes not. Keep up the good work my friend.

Just don't become a Heat fan.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

28. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

I'm going to just put an end to this. This train wreck of a thread derailed on the very first page & I'm ashamed to say that we let it go on this long. Welcome aboard Mr. Ahearn & good luck to you. Everything else is just needless pointless back & forth.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post: