Page 64 of 131 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 3264

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You don't think this has more hype than IU-UK did leading up to it? I had to buy scalped tix to that game. Prices are much higher this year.
    Yeah, I think you're right that this one has more hype leading up to it. IU-UK will probably go down as the more famous game though unless there is a surreal finish tomorrow night, which is certainly possible given the two teams.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Other than the Butler-Duke 2010 game what game would have come close to this hype in this state? It's the combination of being in state, being IU, and being #1 and #3. Sure I mean IU vs. Maryland in 2002 was hyped, but it wasn't in state. It was in Atlanta.

I am seeing people willing to buy row 32 tix for 600 bucks. Those would normally go for about 100 or so a seat tops.
    Tickets for Butler/Gonzaga just a couple weeks ago were going for $500 in the 30's (the very top sections of Hinkle) if you're basing hype on simply about ticket value on the secondary market, it isn't even bigger than that game.

I also would argue that Game 3 of the Miami series was much more hyped up, at least here in Indy. Maybe across the state they don't care as much, but in Indy, that game had more water cooler talk than any college regular season game could possibly have.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I also would argue that Game 3 of the Miami series was much more hyped up, at least here in Indy. Maybe across the state they don't care as much, but in Indy, that game had more water cooler talk than any college regular season game could possibly have.
    Maybe I just don't spend enough time around water coolers, but I think this game has definitely been discussed more than any of the games in the Pacers- Heat series. JMO

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Maybe I just don't spend enough time around water coolers, but I think this game has definitely been discussed more than any of the games in the Pacers- Heat series. JMO
    Do you work in an IU-centric office?

True, that weekend between the Thursday night game 3 and Sunday game 4 was extremely exciting. It was without question the biggest Pacer hype since 2000, IMO. It was even bigger than when we went to the Conference Finals in 2004.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Do you work in an IU-centric office?
    Nope, funny enough mostly Purdue fans and one Kentucky fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    True, that weekend between the Thursday night game 3 and Sunday game 4 was extremely exciting. It was without question the biggest Pacer hype since 2000, IMO. It was even bigger than when we went to the Conference Finals in 2004.
    Well, the lead up to the '04 Conference Finals was pretty big. But Prince's block sapped the energy out of not only the Pacers but also the fan base. Seriously, what a gigantic play looking back on it, it's the butterfly effect play of the past 10 years in the NBA IMO.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Tickets for Butler/Gonzaga just a couple weeks ago were going for $500 in the 30's (the very top sections of Hinkle) if you're basing hype on simply about ticket value on the secondary market, it isn't even bigger than that game.
    Yeah, but Hinkle also holds less people than Assembly Hall. I suspect if Hinkle was 6,000+ seats bigger, those prices wouldn't have been as high.

I think as far as regular season matchups go, this is the most hyped game in the state in the past decade without question, at least on a national scale. The locals and alumni had a feeling about the Kentucky game last year that it could be something big, but on a national scale, it wasn't what this game is.

One more note: I love the Pacers as much as anyone, but let's not pretend they are even remotely as important to the state as the IU program is. Even around Indy, I would think most huge IU games would outdraw huge Pacer games.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

All I know is that I'll be there tomorrow and I'm ready to give those Wolverines hell! The Hall will be shaking tomorrow.

No two higher-ranked college basketball teams have ever played a game against each other in the history of the state of Indiana.

previously IU was #1 and Michigan #4 in 1993. IU won 93-92.

http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2012/7/...diana-hoosiers

"No regular season IU games since then have matched the hype and legitimate interest that surrounded the two regular season meetings between Indiana and Michigan. Student ticket demand was so high that we received only four tickets each, and whether the Michigan game was included in those four games completely dictated each student's happiness. Students who looked at their four tickets would literally jump for joy, while those who drew the short straw would shout profanities. The two programs were held up by the media as polar opposites, the disciplined Hoosiers against the free-spirited Wolverines."

On February 1, 1993, with the Hoosiers standing at 19-2 and 8-0 in the Big Ten, IU moved into the number one slot in the AP Poll for the first time in a decade. On Febuary 14, IU completed the season sweep of the Fab Five, ranked #4, with a one-point win in Bloomington.

IU was 23-2 and 12-0 in the conference on February 19 when... the news began to leak out: Alan Henderson had severely injured his knee in practice.

They lost to Kansas in the Elite 8. No Henderson, no chance.

At the time, this loss seemed as if it were against the natural order of things. It was considered practically a given that IU, after having won in 1976, 1981, and 1987, was due in 1993, and that the excellent senior class of Cheaney, Greg Graham, Chris Reynolds, and Nover simply could not fall short. In reality, even with Henderson it would have been very tough. North Carolina was very good. Beating Michigan three times per season would have been a major challenge. But to IU students in that era, it was simply expected. As much as the loss stung then, imagine if we had known that in the next 19 seasons, IU would not have won another outright Big Ten title, would have only three trips as far as the Sweet 16, and only one Final Four. It's been a long time coming, but it seems that the Hoosiers are on the cusp of another golden age.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 02-01-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    No two higher-ranked college basketball teams have ever played a game against each other in the history of the state of Indiana.

previously IU was #1 and Michigan #4 in 1993, I think. IU won 93-92.
    Yes, this was the game where C-Webb hit like 4 or 5 3s coming down the stretch to pull Mich close.

All I know is that I'll be there tomorrow and I'm ready to give those Wolverines hell! The Hall will be shaking tomorrow.
    I'll be in Bloomington, but sadly not in the Hall for the game. Those prices are outrageous.

Just a year before the fall of 1992 I had left Bloomington. But it does speak volumes that when student season tickets were handed out sometime in November, as it states in the article I linked, everyone looked to see tickets for a game over 3 months away, marked "February 14, 1993, IU-Michigan" was in their envelope. If so, they were on top of the world. If not, they were thinking "can I find someone to trade two of their Michigan tickets for all 16 tickets that I have for the rest of the season?"

Fat chance. You would not have found anyone to make that trade.

This has to be the most interesting regular season game since then.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post

previously IU was #1 and Michigan #4 in 1993. IU won 93-92.

http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2012/7/...diana-hoosiers

"No regular season IU games since then have matched the hype and legitimate interest that surrounded the two regular season meetings between Indiana and Michigan. Student ticket demand was so high that we received only four tickets each, and whether the Michigan game was included in those four games completely dictated each student's happiness. Students who looked at their four tickets would literally jump for joy, while those who drew the short straw would shout profanities. The two programs were held up by the media as polar opposites, the disciplined Hoosiers against the free-spirited Wolverines."

On February 1, 1993, with the Hoosiers standing at 19-2 and 8-0 in the Big Ten, IU moved into the number one slot in the AP Poll for the first time in a decade. On Febuary 14, IU completed the season sweep of the Fab Five, ranked #4, with a one-point win in Bloomington.

IU was 23-2 and 12-0 in the conference on February 19 when... the news began to leak out: Alan Henderson had severely injured his knee in practice.

They lost to Kansas in the Elite 8. No Henderson, no chance.

At the time, this loss seemed as if it were against the natural order of things. It was considered practically a given that IU, after having won in 1976, 1981, and 1987, was due in 1993, and that the excellent senior class of Cheaney, Greg Graham, Chris Reynolds, and Nover simply could not fall short. In reality, even with Henderson it would have been very tough. North Carolina was very good. Beating Michigan three times per season would have been a major challenge. But to IU students in that era, it was simply expected. As much as the loss stung then, imagine if we had known that in the next 19 seasons, IU would not have won another outright Big Ten title, would have only three trips as far as the Sweet 16, and only one Final Four. It's been a long time coming, but it seems that the Hoosiers are on the cusp of another golden age.
    That team would have trounced UNC and they would have beaten Michigan again if they had to. As a Brebeuf and IU grad, Henderson's injury stings doubly.

Shots fired by RMK

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/inde....html#comments

"I'm not sure what the Fab Five was," Knight said Thursday during an ESPN broadcast of an Alabama-Arkansas game. "They never won anything.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Shots fired by RMK

"I'm not sure what the Fab Five was," Knight said Thursday during an ESPN broadcast of an Alabama-Arkansas game. "They never won anything.
    1-3 in two years against Knight.

IU's only conference loss in '93 was to Ohio State.

That team should have been back-to-back champions. I'm not trying to bring up the '92 Final Four but you can't talk about the '93 team without admitting that they were screwed the year before, and then had the heartbreaking injury to Henderson.

The Michigan Fab Five was as overhyped as the Phoenix Suns "Backcourt 2000" of Jason Kidd and Penny Hardaway that were supposed to bring countless NBA Titles to the valley of the Sun.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'll be in Bloomington, but sadly not in the Hall for the game. Those prices are outrageous.
    Same here. I'm going to B-town for the day tomorrow to take it all in, but no way can I spend the cash to go the game.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

I worry about Bob's state of mind after hearing his color commentary lately (woefully unprepared, doesn't seem to know what a shot clock is)

but he had a very lucid moment right there. Hilarious!

UM vacated wins but not losses, right? So I guess Bob was 3-0 rather than 3-1 vs. the Unfab Five.

Shots fired by RMK

I think his comments come off as classless. Damon Bailey, Alan Henderson, and Calbert Cheney "never won anything" either, yet I doubt he would appreciate it if someone took a cheap shot at them.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I suppose any elite program has its share of unfortunate occurrences, but IU has had maybe more than it's fair share.

I'd say our 2nd, 3rd, and 6th best team won titles, and the 7th, 8th, and 10th best had a shot

1975- injury to May
    1976*
    1981*
    1993- injury to Henderson
    1992-robbed by a corrupt ref named Ted Valentine
    1987*
    1973- charge / block call Downing /Bill Walton in semis was the turning point
    1980 -season-ending injuries to Randy Wittman and Mike Woodson

----
    1974- couldn't finish second in the Big 10 back then, even if you were a top 5 team!
    2002-maximized our potential

I'd like to slot this team anywhere in there, and hang a star next to it!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

I think his comments come off as classless. Damon Bailey, Alan Henderson, and Calbert Cheney "never won anything" either, yet I doubt he would appreciate it if someone took a cheap shot at them.
    Uh, my only rebuttal is, he's Bob Knight?

His comments go specifically to the fact that they never won a conference title either. The guys you mentioned all won a lot of those.

B10 titles may sound quaint, but that was Bob's major goal every year, thinking that if you can take care of that, then a banner is possible.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

You know the best part of the Wednesday game really? Getting to see that stupid "Defense lives here" sign all game. So many good jokes.