Page 53 of 131 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 3264

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually, the "Curse of the General" more accurately refers to his mediocre final six seasons in Bloomington. No sweet 16 births and we lost the first game of the tournament in 4 of those 6 years. By the end of his run in Bloomington, he was nothing but an arrogant has-been. The game passed him by and his mediocre results spoke for themselves. It was time for IU to take a step in a different direction, but the problem was that they let a scrub replace him.
    He still built a team that made to a NC game. Or maybe I just refuse to give Mike Davis any credit. Could be either I suppose

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yup. Louisville will be right there when the chips are on the table. Every team will toss up a couple of stinkers.
    Not saying they aren't a good team, just saying by the eye test to me, I think Mich and IU are the two best teams in the country. With Duke next.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Actually, the "Curse of the General" more accurately refers to his mediocre final six seasons in Bloomington. No sweet 16 births and we lost the first game of the tournament in 4 of those 6 years. By the end of his run in Bloomington, he was nothing but an arrogant has-been. The game passed him by and his mediocre results spoke for themselves. It was time for IU to take a step in a different direction, but the problem was that they let a scrub replace him.
    i wouldn't say the game passed him by. more like the failure of the teams in the final 6 season reflected on bob laziness more than anything. we weren't getting enough talent anymore to be an elite program. instead, iu was playing with far too many guys like robbie eggers, richard mandeville and other guys who just weren't very good.
    he pretty much gave up on recruiting and it showed on those rosters. a few good players on those teams sprinkled amongst scrubs didn't cut it. when guys like roy williams, pitino or kryzewski were showing up at summer tournaments letting the kids know that they were interested in having them come play for them- bob was using the off-season for hunting and fishing. nothing wrong with those things but he simply refused to spend his time recruiting anymore.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Actually, Bobby recruited and built the team that his successor took to the final game minus one player who turned pro because Knight was fired. I think Bobby wins that national title game if he had still been coach. Yes, they took a step in a different direction to not having players attending classes, multiple NCAA violations and no national championships. I think that was a big step backward......

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    i wouldn't say the game passed him by. more like the failure of the teams in the final 6 season reflected on bob laziness more than anything. we weren't getting enough talent anymore to be an elite program. instead, iu was playing with far too many guys like robbie eggers, richard mandeville and other guys who just weren't very good.
    he pretty much gave up on recruiting and it showed on those rosters. a few good players on those teams sprinkled amongst scrubs didn't cut it. when guys like roy williams, pitino or kryzewski were showing up at summer tournaments letting the kids know that they were interested in having them come play for them- bob was using the off-season for hunting and fishing. nothing wrong with those things but he simply refused to spend his time recruiting anymore.
    I don't think he ever spent much time recruiting. His assistants did that. Perhaps his assistants weren't quite as good as they had been........

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    So how many sweet 16s did Knight take us to his last few years here?
    There are still his three banners in the ceiling. How many have been added since he left?

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I don't think he ever spent much time recruiting. His assistants did that. Perhaps his assistants weren't quite as good as they had been........
    Knight always recruited the big time players personally. An old school IU fan should know this. He recruited a lot, his recruitment of Damon Bailey is famous for how early he began the process.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Knight always recruited the big time players personally. An old school IU fan should know this. He recruited a lot, his recruitment of Damon Bailey is famous for how early he began the process.
    yep. any coach who is serious about getting the big pieces to put out a contender makes it a point to do some of the grunt work themselves. when you do nothing but send out assistants to do that- you get what we had in those final years. when your ego knows no bounds, you expect players to come crawling and begging to play for you and it just doesn't work that way.
    year after year, i kept seeing top recruits and their list of schools and we weren't on them or if so, not for long. after all, what is going to impress a blue chipper more- mike kryzewski meeting you personally or mike davis the i.u assistant?
    not a hard choice really. the other coaches simply wanted it/them more

Yep, Benji out of Chi-town in the mid 80s is another great example. Knight went into his neighborhood multiple times.

Anyway, Knight's lazy recruiting at the end was definitely passed on to Davis. The famous Mike Conley story comes to mind.

As far as the 2002 team being "Knight's players", yes they were, but I'm not sure that says much. They weren't a very talented team. Don't get me wrong I love that team and they were fun to watch, but they got that far on pure grit and getting hot from 3. I'm not sure you can give Knight any credit for that.

One of the biggest reasons I hate Penn State is that every year we have to hear about their "star guard" all game who is actually a ****** basketball player who shoots a lot and only shoots like 40% from the field. Every. Single. Year. Like DJ Newbill right now, they are so surprised he is 2/9...really? He's only shooting 40% on the season.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Yogi hitting his J tonight

Penn State sucks.

Did Yogi finally find his jumper?

No foul was called on this play.

That picture is all sorts of hilarious. The expression on #11's face when he gets a handful of Cody Zeller's junk is priceless.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

The other Penn State player looks like he is going in for a kiss.

Actually, Bobby recruited and built the team that his successor took to the final game minus one player who turned pro because Knight was fired.
    The fact that the best thing you can say about Knight's final years is that he built a team which someone else took to the final game shows just how mediocre his final years were.

The last championship was 26 years ago in 1987. Knight was the coach for half of the 26 years since then, from 1987-2000. Davis/Sampson/Crean make up the other 12 which didn't end in a championship. 2013 obviously is still yet to be determined. Knight is just as responsible for the championship drought as anyone else.

The record is what it is. Knight presided over an extremely mediocre program (by IU standards at least) from 1994-2000, which is a fairly large sample size. Not a single Sweet 16 birth over that time-span and four first round eliminations. It was time for him and his massive ego to be shown the door. He is one of the greatest coaches ever, but his magic touch had worn off long before IU kicked him to the curb.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Cool Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

The fact that the best thing you can say about Knight's final years is that he built a team which someone else took to the final game shows just how mediocre his final years were.

The last championship was 26 years ago in 1987. Knight was the coach for half of the 26 years since then, from 1987-2000. Davis/Sampson/Crean make up the other 12 which didn't end in a championship. 2013 obviously is still yet to be determined. Knight is just as responsible for the championship drought as anyone else.

The record is what it is. Knight presided over an extremely mediocre program (by IU standards at least) from 1994-2000, which is a fairly large sample size. Not a single Sweet 16 birth over that time-span and four first round eliminations. It was time for him and his massive ego to be shown the door. He is one of the greatest coaches ever, but his magic touch had worn off long before IU kicked him to the curb.
    Well, Knight had the problem of presiding over a program that followed NCAA rules, demanded that players attended classes, graduate and had no scandals during his tenure. This was spotting the field a lot as looking back shows. His successors were not burdened by worrying about players attending class and hardly anyone graduated since Bobby left. That is quite a handicap to over come. Yes, Indiana has made the Sweet 16 a few times since he left but at what cost? I don't see any new banners in the arena.....

Well under Crean now the players graduate early so...

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

The 90s had a momentary lull in elite high school talent from the state of Indiana as well, which hurt. Knight often had 60-80% of the team from the state.

You can tell by the Mr. Basketball selections it was weak for awhile. Many years even Mr. Basketball wasn't worth a B10 scholly- just 1 NBA draftee in this run:

1992 Charles Macon
    1993 Maurice "Kojak" Fuller
    1994 Bryce Drew -1998 NBA Draft: 1st Rnd, 16th overall by the Houston Rockets
    1995 Damon Frierson
    1996 Kevin Ault
    1997 Luke Recker
    1998 Tom Coverdale
    1999 Jason Gardner
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    The 90s had a momentary lull in elite high school talent from the state of Indiana as well, which hurt. Knight often had 60-80% of the team from the state.

You can tell by the Mr. Basketball selections it was weak for awhile. Many years even Mr. Basketball wasn't worth a B10 scholly- just 1 NBA draftee in this run:

1992 Charles Macon
    1995 Damon Frierson
    1996 Kevin Ault
    1997 Luke Recker
    1998 Tom Coverdale
    1999 Jason Gardner
    And one legend.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Well under Crean now the players graduate early so...
    If they attend class at all.... I have nothing against Crean, just the university.....

If they attend class at all.... I have nothing against Crean, just the university.....
    Which makes it even crazier because no one associated with the Knight firing is around anymore. Some of them aren't even alive anymore!

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post

1992 Charles Macon
    1995 Damon Frierson
    1996 Kevin Ault
    1997 Luke Recker
    1998 Tom Coverdale
    1999 Jason Gardner
    The mid to late '90's, while certainly not the best time for Indiana high school basketball, still had plenty of Big Ten caliber talent. The problem is the Knight was getting beat out for most of it.

Charles Macon played at Ohio State but byond him Walter McCarty was part of that class. Kojak Fuller absolutely was Big Ten worthy but ended up in jail. Chad Austin was also that year and he had quite a career in the Big Ten. We all know why Bryce Drew didn't go to the Big Ten but that class also featured Bonzi Wells. 1995 was a down year but Damon Frierson was pretty awesome in the MAC if I remember right but Alan Eldridge was a decent player at Purdue and Duany Duany wasn't bad at Wisconsin. Kevin Ault was too small and unathletic to be a B1G player but Michael Lewis, Carson Cunningham, and the McQuay brothers weren't. 1997 was bad but Knight was able to get Recker. Coverdale obviously went to IU but other guys like Kueth Duany, who played on the Syracuse title team with Melo, went elsewhere. Jason Gardner was an All-American at Arizona who IU didn't seem too interested in if I remember right. I don't remember if Knight went after John Stewart before he passed but I know he was going to Kentucky.

There's no question that the talent level in this state wasn't as good towards the end of Knight's tenure as it has been in last decade, but there's also no question that he'd lost the ability or desire to get much of what was there.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Which makes it even crazier because no one associated with the Knight firing is around anymore. Some of them aren't even alive anymore!
    I can't say anything about the ones who are dead, it would get me kicked off of this thread but you all know where I stand on that. Teams get me for a fan until they make unforgivable blunders. That is what IU did and I was so disgusted by it that I no longer watch NCAA sports any longer. They lost me and many others. It doesn't matter that they are all gone.... IU bought into the dark side. I suspect that they still are.....