Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cool Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, every IU and Colts win cuts you to the core and I love it. No one deserves to suffer more than you.
    That isn't true. I was rooting for the Colts to beat Houston to give Denver the number one seed and I was rooting for them to make the playoffs with a lousy QB who barely completes 50% of his passes to keep a good team with a good QB like Pittsburgh out of Denver's way. I am also rooting for them to KO the Ravens and then New England so they can face Denver in the AFC finals..... Go, Colts.....

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

I guess since he can't post on the Colts board anymore he has to come here for attention.

Getting back on topic, nice win for IU yesterday. I don't care how ugly it was, any road win in the Big Ten should be celebrated. Hulls won't have another 0-fer game this year.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    I guess since he can't post on the Colts board anymore he has to come here for attention.

Getting back on topic, nice win for IU yesterday. I don't care how ugly it was, any road win in the Big Ten should be celebrated. Hulls won't have another 0-fer game this year.
    Especially at Carver-Hawkeye. We have had some mighty struggles winning there over the years, and I think this year's Iowa team is sneaky good. That crowd was pretty boisterous yesterday as well. It wasn't pretty, we didn't play particularly well, but I am pretty satisfied with that win.

IU had lost 13 of its last 16 in CHA before yesterday. If you look at any of IU's records against any particular team in their house over the last 10-15 years it's not pretty. We'll need a few more wins like yesterday's to have a shot at the Big Ten title.

Well we should get wins at Purdue and PSU pretty easily. Assuming we hold serve at home that will give us 12 wins. Going to need to get some tougher wins on the road for sure. We play alot of good teams in their house this year.

I just found out Bill Lynch got hired as the head coach at DePauw.

Josh (Bloomington, IN)

Thoughts on the rise of Victor Oladipo at Indiana? Seems to be exceeding all expectations and showing a lot of upside.
    Chad Ford (1:40 PM)

Love him. One of my favorite players in the country. He's gonna be a first round pick in this year's draft. If he can convince scouts that his 45% shooting from beyond the arc isn't a fluke -- lottery isn't out of the question.
    Think we might have solved the scholly dilemma...

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    No, every IU and Colts win cuts you to the core and I love it. No one deserves to suffer more than you.
    Look man you are just as guilty for feeding the troll. And trust me, if you knew what true suffering was, you would take that **** back quickly. This is just a freaking message board and you show no fracking understanding that it is a minute issue and ignore it but TRUST ME, there are much more necessary evil out there other than olblu, much scarier and meaner things than you clearly understand.
    Last edited by Dgreenwell3; 01-02-2013 at 02:32 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Think we might have solved the scholly dilemma...
    If I'm an NBA GM I would rather draft Oladipo than Zeller.

I said last April that while I liked it selfishly as a fan, I feared that Zeller was making a mistake by coming back. I'm starting to think that more and more. There is no way I could justify taking him in the top-3.

While he isn't nearly the ball handler and is probably not quite as good a shooter, I see a lot of Dwyane Wade's college game in Oladipo this year.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post

I said last April that while I liked it selfishly as a fan, I feared that Zeller was making a mistake by coming back. I'm starting to think that more and more. There is no way I could justify taking him in the top-3.

While he isn't nearly the ball handler and is probably not quite as good a shooter, I see a lot of Dwyane Wade's college game in Oladipo this year.
    I like his game. He has skills for sure.

Yeah Zeller has really shown the same game that he had last year--which is a very good game but I have not seen anything that would make me want to take him even in the top 5 of a draft. He seems like a really solid 7-12 type of pick. Oladipo is just a terror on the court. I love watching that guy wreak havoc out there.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Yeah Zeller has really shown the same game that he had last year--which is a very good game but I have not seen anything that would make me want to take him even in the top 5 of a draft. He seems like a really solid 7-12 type of pick. Oladipo is just a terror on the court. I love watching that guy wreak havoc out there.
    My favorite thing about Oladipo, is that on a team that has shown a very real tendency to play listless, lazy basketball, he plays with 100% effort at all times. Amazing motor.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Cool Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

You guys are now saying what I said before the season started. Zeller is not a franchise center and will likely be a career backup or a starter on a not very good team.....

Smith owned Zeller in that Butler game. He didn't let him have anything on the glass. Zeller is going to have to bulk up a lot and improve his skills if he wants to be a quality NBA player.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Smith owned Zeller in that Butler game. He didn't let him have anything on the glass. Zeller is going to have to bulk up a lot and improve his skills if he wants to be a quality NBA player.
    I disagree with this. Zeller is not going to be a back to the basket offensive player and he's not going to be defending the post in the NBA. He needs to get stronger because, despite the summer hype tweets and pictures, he is still really weak but he doesn't need to bulk up considerably. His future is as a 4 in the NBA. You are right about his skills. He needs a jumper. He needs to be able to handle the ball a little bit. He's skilled, but hasn't shown much of a floor game yet.

Of course, a couple of years ago I was also somebody who said I thought Andrew Smith would have a decent shot to be an NBA player so what do I know? He hasn't developed nearly like I thought he would. Decent college player though.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 01-02-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Especially at Carver-Hawkeye. We have had some mighty struggles winning there over the years, and I think this year's Iowa team is sneaky good. That crowd was pretty boisterous yesterday as well. It wasn't pretty, we didn't play particularly well, but I am pretty satisfied with that win.
    After watching Illinois get housed by Purdue for the last 5 minutes of that game last night, how can you not be happy with that Iowa win? I think it was Stein or Katz who pointed out how good that Iowa win was looking so far. No offense to Purdue, but I think the Hawkeyes are a superior team this year and maybe next year as well depending on the development of Hammons.

It will be interesting to see how this B1G season goes. I'm beginning to think that 13-5 in conference play may take the regular season title outright this year.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Well we should get wins at Purdue and PSU pretty easily. Assuming we hold serve at home that will give us 12 wins. Going to need to get some tougher wins on the road for sure. We play alot of good teams in their house this year.
    Get to skip Wisconsin though which is always nice even if this is a down year for them.

Yeah....They are really creepy in how they have developed, Crean knows how to work with really athletic but raw 2s, that is for sure. The crossover Vic had in the lane against Iowa would have never happened two years ago, and last year it still would have been a turnover a decent part of the time, but now his handles are really tight and we all know that Vic knows how to finish much like Wade always did.

Zeller is an interesting case, I agree that he has probably already dropped out of the top 3, but I kind of expected that. I think most are being way too hard on him. I mean against Iowa everyone was talking like he was just not even impacting the game and he had 19 and 10 which isn't exactly peanuts in the Big Ten.

RE: What does Zeller need to do to get better?

I see two things that are really big right now.

1.) He needs to be more willing to create contact when he goes to the basket. He still too often takes a passive stance when he makes a move to the basket, I don't know if he is looking for the whistle or what, but the guy needs to learn that he is playing against other 6'10" to 7' dudes now and that they are not going to go flying like ragdolls if he bodies them up. I think he is too concerned with getting whistled for a foul. One of the best plays he's made this seaosn was the late bucket against Butler where he went strong with it and yes the defender fell down, but the refs respected Zeller's move and did not blow the whistle.

2.) The next thing that bothers the F out of me is that Zeller does not adjust to entry passes. This resulted in probably 3-5 turnovers against Iowa. He is so intent on keeping his position once he establishes it that he will not move his butt out of the post once he gets in there even if the entry pass is not perfect. He needs to learn that even if he has to give up some inside position to come get the ball it is better than a turnover and it actually opens up a great backcut opportunity for Oladipo, Sheehey, or Watford, or heck even Perea. The defense will follow Zeller when he comes to the ball and that should open a path in the paint for one of those guys to get down and I think Zeller can make the pass. I hope Crean realizes this and tries to make an adjustment to coach Cody on this.

The Big Ten is going to be wild this year. How many games do you guys think we will lose in conference? If the over/under was set at 4.5, which would you take? Our schedule is ridiculously back loaded in B1G play, which sort of worries me. I think getting Hollowell and Perea minutes early in the B1G against teams like Pennsylvania State will be key to building their confidence, because we are going to need them.

Ideally I would like to go 14-4, but I think 13-5 will probably win the conference. I would like to go 3-2 in our big road game from February 1 on.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would have to believe that between OSU, Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota, and IU, at least one of that group is going to go 14-4 or better in conference. Hopefully it's IU. When you have 5 teams capable of winning at a high level, someone is going to come through with fewer losses than the others and I think it's going to take more than 13-5 to get it done. I know they're gonna beat up on each other but I just think there are too many contenders for one of them not to separate themselves.

13-5 got it done last year and the conference wasn't this tough.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

To me that's a reason to believe it will take a better record to win it, not the same record.

Huh? The conference is much deeper than last year is what I mean. So that should in theory mean a similar number of losses should win it. I think 14-4 could take the conference outright but I don't know if anyone will get there.