Page 112 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 3264

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What worries me is that Temple is an extremely sloppy undisciplined offensive team that takes terrible shots........and yet they almost won. Their physical defense completely MANHANDLED us today. Now we showed a lot of poise down the stretch today with our backs against the wall and found a way to win the game, but I'm worried about how terrible our offense looks. We've had trouble with physical defenses all season. When you punch us in the face a bit, we look bad.
    Yes, that is IU's achilles heel. They will have to rely on their own defense to win games in this tournament which they did today. That being said, the refs allowed Temple to get away with a ton of contact. If they had called a tighter game the outcome would have been much more in IU's favor.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 03-24-2013 at 06:44 PM.

I'm going to look at it this way - it could be a mental victory more than anything since we finally managed to grind out a win playing against a quintessential grind it out team. But, no question, play like that against Syracuse and get blown out.

The thing I don't get is it just looks like they just weren't even that in to it mentally/emotionally for most of the game. At times, it looks like they're almost it's just agony for them to go out there and stay upbeat and focused.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    That isn't true. Crean can and has won big games at IU but that is different than contending for a TITLE more often than not.

Bball said Crean can't win big games to which I say he already has. Winning the conference title outright and advancing to consecutive Sweet Sixteens involves winning several big games. Winning a national championship is a different animal altogether.
    Crean's system needs to win, and it will win. I don't have a doubt about that. BUT when the game's get tougher and the system is having problems I have absolutely no confidence that Crean will pull the right strings to eek out a win in any one game. In most big game matchups I have my doubts that Crean will be the bench equal of the opposing team. If the system is clicking, it probably won't matter. If the other team can disrupt the system I don't know that IU has a counter punch they can go to with Crean doing something differently... instead of maddenly inconsistent rotations and cooling off his own hot hands.

So yeah... Crean's teams will be well-stocked and over-run several teams including some big games and win their share and then some of regular season games. BUT they will have a much harder time taking that thru the BTT or the NCAA tournament. So it depends on what your definition of 'big' games happens to be. Honestly, they lost a home game to clinch the Big Ten regular season championship outright and I'm still not sure how they won that MI game to clinch it anyway. So yeah, it's possible for the system to win some big games. It's possible the system could win the NCAA... I'm just not convinced that the team will ever have the players and depth to go all the way on the system alone without needing some chess moves from the bench. And when those moves are needed I'm not sure Crean won't be his own worst enemy.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    the big games, the important games, will always be a struggle with him at the helm. Will the Hoosier Nation be satisfied with that?
    Yeah, when they really needed that road win at OSU, and when they played MSU in the Breslin Center where they haven't won in like 20 years, and when they had to win on the road on senior day at UM on national TV to win the conference championship,

yeah, those big games, those important games, they were just too much of a struggle

give me a break

Sometimes I want to throw something when he does mass substitutions for guys playing well, always with 11-13 min left in a half, but for the most part I'm a happy camper with Tom Crean running the show.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

the CWat swat:

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Wat Swat for the win.

I also am a lot more upbeat about this win than a lot of you. We played at their pace and won. 10-0 run to close out the half. Finally won a gritty game. Took Wyatt out of the game. There are a lot of positives going forward. I tweeted (not that anyone cares, this is just a brag) before the tourney that Temple would be our toughest game in our region. We are going to Roll 'Cuse and Miami or whoever it may be.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The interwebs say: IU/Syracuse will tip at approximately 9:45EDT on Thursday night.

Network: CBS
    Announcers: Lundquist and Raftery
    Last edited by obnoxiousmodesty; 03-24-2013 at 11:18 PM.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Christian Watford is legend.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

sweet 16 schedule:

Marquette #3 E vs. Miami (Fla.) #2 E
    Verizon Center (Washington, D.C.)
    Thursday, March 28 7:15 pm CBS

Arizona #6 W vs. Ohio St. #2 W
    Staples Center (Los Angeles, CA)
    Thursday, March 28 7:47 pm TBS

Syracuse #4 E vs. Indiana #1 E
    Verizon Center (Washington, D.C.)
    Thursday, March 28 9:45 pm CBS

La Salle #13 vs. Wichita St. #9 W
    Staples Center (Los Angeles, CA)
    Thursday, March 28 10:17 pm TBS

Oregon #12 MW vs. Louisville #1 MW
    Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis, Ind.)
    Friday, March 29 7:15 pm CBS

Michigan #4 S vs. Kansas #1 S
    Cowboys Stadium (Arlington, TX)
    Friday, March 29 7:37 pm TBS

Michigan St. #3 MW vs. Duke #2 MW
    Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis, Ind.)
    Friday, March 29 9:45 pm CBS

FGCU #15 S vs. Florida #3 S
    Cowboys Stadium (Arlington, TX)
    Friday, March 29 10:07 pm TBS

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Not surprisingly, Ron Patterson will be rooting for Syracuse when they play Indiana in the Sweet 16.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasket...ecruit_ro.html

Ron Patterson was supposed to be playing for the Indiana Hoosiers this Thursday in the NCAA Tournament’s East Region semifinal game against Syracuse.

Instead, Patterson will be cheering for the Orange and sending text messages to his would-be Indiana teammates.

“I’ll be cheering for Syracuse,’’ Patterson said in a telephone interview on Monday. “Absolutely. I don’t like Indiana.’’

Those words carry meaning as Patterson would seem to be the ultimate Hoosier.

Patterson, a 6-foot-3 guard out of Indianapolis, originally committed to Indiana, turning down offers from Illinois, Ohio State, Minnesota and DePaul. He had broken scoring records at Broad Ripple High School, which counts current New York Knicks coach Mike Woodson and current Indiana Pacer George Hill among its alumni. Patterson had been named to Indianapolis’ all-city team.

He had played the Indiana Elite AAU team along with fellow Indiana recruits Jeremy Hollowell, Yogi Ferrell, Hanner Mosquera-Perea and Peter Jurkin.

And then Patterson’s dream of being a Hoosier turned into a nightmare. Although he had qualified under the NCAA’s admission standards, Patterson had failed to meet Indiana’s enrollment requirements. He enrolled in a summer faculty sponsorship program at Indiana, taking two classes.

“He got a C and a C-minus in his summer school classes,’’ Chris Hawkins, Patterson’s AAU coach, said. “That fell below the mandatory 2.0 that you have to have for this faculty sponsor program.’’

Patterson appealed to IU’s faculty sponsorship board. The board denied the appeal.
    The decision was met with some skepticism. Indiana had 14 players on scholarship, one over the NCAA’s limit. Some, including Patterson and his parents, believe Indiana used a technicality to cut Patterson.

“I feel like they made a bad decision,’’ Patterson said. “I didn’t like it. It was an excuse. They needed to get rid of someone.’’

Patterson was suddenly without a scholarship and it was very late in the recruiting game. A few schools, including Xavier and Purdue, had scholarships available. But Patterson wanted to avoid making a rushed decision.

“I wanted to weigh my options out more,’’ he said.

So Patterson enrolled at Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H. The New England prep school has produced a number of high-profile players including Syracuse’s C.J. Fair and Michigan freshman Mitch McGary.

“It felt like (new) all over again,’’ Patterson said. “I didn’t think I’d hear from as many schools as I did.’’

Coaches flock to Brewster each fall to watch workouts. Patterson quickly received offers from Marquette, Villanova, Providence, Boston College, Miami, SMU, Kansas State, Texas A&M and Illinois. Then Syracuse assistant Gerry McNamara took a trip to Brewster, mainly to check out a 6-9 junior named Chris McCullough.

“He impressed coach McNamara,’’ Hawkins said. “Then coach (Jim) Boeheim came up for another workout.’’

Patterson took one official visit to Xavier. The following weekend, he visited Syracuse and committed to the Orange.

“They didn’t recruit me in high school, but I’ve always liked Syracuse,’’ Patterson said. “It shows that sometimes things happen for a reason.’’

Patterson enjoyed a successful season at Brewster. The Bobcats went 32-6 for the season. Patterson hit the game-winning shot to beat St. Thomas More in the NEPSAC championship game. He was named the NEPSAC Player of the Year.

Throughout the past year, he stayed in touch with Hollowell, who averaged 2.9 points in 9.9 minutes per game for the Hoosiers.

“We text and call each other with weekly updates,’’ said Patterson. But there’s been no communication so far this week. “I haven’t talked to him since I‘ve known Syracuse would be playing them.’’

Patterson said he does plan to talk to his would-be Indiana teammate sometime this week.

“Probably a little trash-talk,’’ Patterson said. “I’ll tell him to lace his shoes up real tight.’’

Boohoo, my grades weren't good enough so I got the axe.

Whether we had to get rid of someone or not, not keeping your grades up when you knew that might be the case makes him look even dumber.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 03-26-2013 at 11:33 AM.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Talk about an article fishing for a storyline, Jesus. Who gives a **** about who a 17 year old wants to win? Reminds me of the Purdue people that play up the Crean "I've been thinking about you a whole lot" thing when it was sent to a kid from Aurora, CO he was in contact with the week after the theater shooting. Don't get me started on the ****ing idiots that think Crean kissing his son on the lips just before they tipped the Temple game like it's...something, who the hell knows.

Honestly, I don't really like the majority of college fanbases lol. But I like the media far less.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 03-26-2013 at 11:34 AM.

How do you get a C- in a summer class?

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    How do you get a C- in a summer class?
    I just like how entitled he is. "Yeah I didn't get the grades to meet the clearly defined requirements, but they should have kept me anyway!"

"He got a C and a C-minus in his summer school classes,’’ Chris Hawkins, Patterson’s AAU coach, said. “That fell below the mandatory 2.0 that you have to have for this faculty sponsor program.’’

He somehow missed the meaning of that word "mandatory" and still seems to not grasp its importance.

Mandatory doesn't mean that you can still get someone to cut you some slack just because, you know, you want them to.

Cue the scathing Crean criticism. And deservedly so.

-Emiliano Zapata

This may ruffle some feathers, and it could be in part a lack of player development by the program, but I think Zeller is overrated. Yes, he's good and fundamentally sound for a 7 footer, but I don't feel like he improved significantly from year one to year two. And he definitely has not lived up to some of the press/accolades/etc he gets. Good player, but far from a great player.

-Emiliano Zapata

25. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Crean clearly is in over is head. I was really surprised he said (at half time) they "had figured out the zone". Sure you did TC.

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This may ruffle some feathers, and it could be in part a lack of player development by the program, but I think Zeller is overrated. Yes, he's good and fundamentally sound for a 7 footer, but I don't feel like he improved significantly from year one to year two. And he definitely has not lived up to some of the press/accolades/etc he gets. Good player, but far from a great player.
    He certainly looked like a child among men in the paint

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, it wasn't the ending we wanted, but at least IU is back amongst the elite. Better luck next year, I guess. Oladipo will really be missed.

Hey UCLA, Crean is available. Court him, please. For the love of god get him out of here. What a ****ing ******.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

It's impossible for me to give a fair evaluation of this season either way. In a vacuum, it is a disappointment to be ranked 1 for most of the season and go out in the sweet 16, in the context of our past few years this was still an amazing season. We did a variety of things we hadn't done in two decades.

I'm not very happy with Crean right now. But then again I'm not very happy with Yogi or Cody either who both played like they were afraid of the big bad Orange.

That being said I don't want to be mad at this team because they have come so far in just four years.

I think Cody is back next year and with that plus the class coming in I feel like next year will allow me a chance to distance myself some from the emotion of "I can't believe how far we've come" and focus more on the here and now.

Clearly Crean is not going anywhere right now. It would take at least two more years of this to even get the wheels headed in that direction.

Hopefully we are a more well rounded team this year, we still relied quite a bit on the amazing play of Oladipo. I'm not sure this team ever really had the talent of a national title team, I think last year's over achieving skewed this team a bit.

It's all hard to say.

Just get me to November at this point. I am excited to see what a sophomore Yogi can do with a Zeller/Vonleh pairing.

Oh BTW staying small in the backcourt for so long was definitely the worst decision of the night. Should have gone bigger much earlier. Yogi and Jordy just could not pass over the Cuse guards.

Agreed with the last two posts. No way Hulls and Yogi should've been on the floor together that long.

I have no idea if Zeller will leave, nor do I have any idea what the expectations for next year are. I hope that they are significantly lowered, but I don't think IU fans are known for viewing the team like that. I really expect Hollowell to be improved next.

Yeah, Crean isn't going anywhere. Athletic departments are not fan bases. They see how much renewed interest he's brought to the program and, of course, boatloads of money. No need to risk any of that.