Page 109 of 131 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 3264

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't realize beating Wisconsin was so important. They are ONE team. IU has beaten Michigan State three straight times, Michigan 3/4, and Purdue 4 straight times.

It's not the end of the world.

From this thread you would think Crean is the worst coach in the world. Nevermind that he has led IU to two 27 win seasons. The program has only done that 9 times in TOTAL.

The team just needs to regroup and get ready for the NCAA tournament, the one that really matters.
    No one is saying that it's the end of the world. We're just making the factually correct statement that Bo Ryan and Wisconsin own Tom Crean and IU right now. I'll obviously give Crean a pass for the first three seasons, but we are 0-4 against Wisconsin in the last two years when we've had a very good/great team. We should not have gone 0-2 against any team this season with our roster.

It's like how the Chargers used to own the Colts. Wisconsin is just that pest who has our number.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    No one is saying that it's the end of the world. We're just making the factually correct statement that Bo Ryan and Wisconsin own Tom Crean and IU right now. I'll obviously give Crean a pass for the first three seasons, but we are 0-4 against Wisconsin in the last two years when we've had a very good/great team. We should not have gone 0-2 against any team this season with our roster.

It's like how the Chargers used to own the Colts. Wisconsin is just that pest who has our number.
    Even with IU's improved talent it doesn't have the roster to counter Wisconsin's versatile frontcourt. IU simply does not match up well against them and hasn't for quite awhile. This has been an issue going back for a decade since Ryan got there.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    I've said it before but the Marquette guys I used to work with let me know five years ago that Crean's in-game coaching would drive us nuts over time.

Recruit? Motivate? Inspire? Yeah.

Coach? Game strategy? Meh.

Its not Wisconsin that bothers me (well, it does, Wisconsin needs to return to ninth place where they belong.) Its that we don't seem to have any answer at all for a team that plays us physically.

My hope is that Zeller and Victor come back, and that a lineup of Yogi, Victor, Sheehey, Hollowell and Zeller have a better chance to compete in the tournament with physical teams than a team relying on Hulls and Watford to shoot lights-out this year.

Starting to wonder if Crean should just make that lineup change now and let Hulls and Watford be the sixth/seventh men in the tourney?
    Michigan State is a physical team. IU swept them this year. They also beat Ohio State and Georgetown, two teams that play a physical brand of basketball.

No coach is perfect but what Crean has done at IU is remarkable and I will support him, imperfections and all. His system does work, evidenced by the back to back 27 win seasons.

Well, if you really think about it, we were lucky to beat Michigan in the regular season clincher, and we certainly looked incapable and uninspired today. I find it unacceptable for a national - title contender. I honestly do not expect us to fare that well in the tourney. I'll be surprised if we do as well as last year. I agree that Wisconsin is an absolute match up nightmare for multiple reasons, but despite the regular season title, I just don't see the same intensity and heart as last year.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

this team could go far but it could easily lose early. this game showed why a guy like ryan won coy in the big10 and crean didn't. their defense controlled the game just like last time. they saw to it no easy shots while getting quite a few themselves. an exceptional coach can prepare the team to better execute against others. we looked as clueless and lost as last time.
    hulls and will were pretty useless today.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For those angry with Crean over this loss, what could he have done differently to get the win? Face it, this roster just doesn't match up well with Wisconsin. We played excellent defense overall and the Badgers still shot 50%. If Wiscy played that way on a regular basis they would be a title contender, but they're the classic "play to the level of their opponent" team, which irritates the hell out of me. Especially since OSU made it to the Final.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Well, if you really think about it, we were lucky to beat Michigan in the regular season clincher, and we certainly looked incapable and uninspired today. I find it unacceptable for a national - title contender. I honestly do not expect us to fare that well in the tourney. I'll be surprised if we do as well as last year. I agree that Wisconsin is an absolute match up nightmare for multiple reasons, but despite the regular season title, I just don't see the same intensity and heart as last year.
    Michigan is also a national title contender, and it was a win in their place with a B1G title on the line.

I saw plenty of intensity today, Wisconsin just executed better today and they're already a match-up nightmare for us when their offense isn't clicking.

There is no clear-cut favorite this year, and the B1G is the best conference in the country.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

IU did beat Michigan, at their place, something no other team has done. I don't care if it was close. A lot of games are close.

I must have watched a different game than you. IU did play hard but couldn't make shots down the stretch when they needed points.

How can you say you don't see the same intensity and heart? IU ended the regular season with a loss to Wisconsin in the BTT last year and did the same thing this year. They had won two in a row prior to today.

Crean used his bench absolutely horribly this season. It never developed all season long. There was never any consistency about the rotations. People would come off the bench for several minutes and then never see the court again. There seemed to be little rhyme or reason to subbing patterns and if it meant the other team made a run against the bench Crean never adjusted.

I can understand using the bench due to the tempo he wants the team to play at and keeping them fresh for the finish, but he needs to be able to develop the bench to complement the starters in some form or fashion and not just mix and match.

#2 IU's half court offense needs lots of work. Is there anything designed to really get Hulls a consistently clean look at a 3 in a half court set? How often due they work on their half court in practice and focus on Zeller?

#3 IU's defense can go from great to awful. IU can be prone to some ole' moments. Seems to me like that happens more as the game wears on which could simply mean as the other team figures things out and gets some confidence IU starts losing their legs and their mental edge due to fatigue and then it snowballs somewhat.

I think it's becoming apparent that Crean's teams can win many games, but they have an Achilles Heel that will always make winning any one game a struggle.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

So does Louisville get the Number 1 seed in the Midwest now after their impressive win tonight (and 10 game winning streak)? Louisville looks more scary than IU right now.

It's a shame that we might have played our way out of Indy after we essentially had it gift-wrapped.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    So does Louisville get the Number 1 seed in the Midwest now after their impressive win tonight (and 10 game winning streak)? Louisville looks more scary than IU right now.

It's a shame that we might have played our way out of Indy after we essentially had it gift-wrapped.
    We still are #1 in the Midwest. Louisville is #1 in the East.

That being said, this team won't win a national title. I doubt we make the Final Four; Indy or no Indy.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Just don't have the "eye of the tiger".

Just when you think they've finally found it, they lay an egg. Play a slow-paced, half-court game and run several decent bigs at us. That's the painfully obvious formula. We can't play sustained half-court offense.

EDIT: It's not been a bad year, just turning in to a disappointing ending given our initially high NCAA aspirations. Would be more than happy to eat crow in this situation, but I do not expect a Final Four either, maybe not even final eight if we hit anybody physical who can effectively slow tempo.
    Last edited by D-BONE; 03-17-2013 at 05:34 AM.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    We still are #1 in the Midwest. Louisville is #1 in the East.

That being said, this team won't win a national title. I doubt we make the Final Four; Indy or no Indy.
    That's not true. If Louisville is a higher overall seed, i.e. a better #1 seed, than they get the Indy Sweet 16 path. Louisville's a lot closer to Indy than D.C.

That's going to be an interesting subplot leading to the bracket announcement.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    That's not true. If Louisville is a higher overall seed, i.e. a better #1 seed, than they get the Indy Sweet 16 path. Louisville's a lot closer to Indy than D.C.

Exactly. Louisville wants Indy just as badly as IU. They were the number 1 seed in 09 when Indy had the regionals and filled Lucas up.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

As of this morning, ESPN's Lunardi has IU in the East with Duke as the 2 seed; CBS's Palm has IU in the Midwest with Georgetown as the 2.

Obviously I much prefer the Midwest. Nevertheless, I suspect Louisville will get Indy.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post

I was just relaying what I think will happen.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Agreed.

Louisville has that "eye of the tiger" look that you speak of. They look like a champion as of late.

IU hasn't.

Just when you think they've finally found it, they lay an egg. Play a slow-paced, half-court game and run several decent bigs at us. That's the painfully obvious formula. We can't play sustained half-court offense.

EDIT: It's not been a bad year, just turning in to a disappointing ending given our initially high NCAA aspirations. Would be more than happy to eat crow in this situation, but I do not expect a Final Four either, maybe not even final eight if we hit anybody physical who can effectively slow tempo.
    Disappointing ending? Has the NCAA tournament even started yet? How about waiting until IU loses, IF IU loses, before developing an opinion on the season?

How many teams are out there have the personnel of a Wisconsin to slow down IU's style of play? Very few.

What pisses me off more than anything is this sense of entitlement from IU fans who apparently have forgotten that two years ago this was a 20 loss team but are still content to ***** about WHICH ONE SEED IU will get today. IU hasn't been better than a #4 seed in any NCAA tournament since 1993. Get some perspective.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 03-17-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Disappointing ending? Has the NCAA tournament even started yet? How about waiting until IU loses, IF IU loses, before developing an opinion on the season?

How many teams are out there have the personnel of a Wisconsin to slow down IU's style of play? Very few.

What pisses me off more than anything is this sense of entitlement from IU fans who apparently have forgotten that two years ago this was a 20 loss team but are still content to ***** about WHICH ONE SEED IU will get today. IU hasn't been better than a #4 seed in any NCAA tournament since 1993. Get some perspective.
    Oh shut up. Get off your high horse. We just want what's best for the team and to go where we think we have the best chance of winning a national title. We started out the season as #1, and ANY fanbase that started out that high would expect to compete for a national championship and would be discussing the same things we are discussing now, regardless of their team's history.

Oh shut up. Get off your high horse. We just want what's best for the team and to go where we think we have the best chance of winning a national title. We started out the season as #1, and ANY fanbase that started out that high would expect to compete for a national championship and would be discussing the same things we are discussing now, regardless of their team's history.
    Preseason rankings mean squat and team history absolutely should be a consideration in developing expectations. IU hasn't exactly had many deep tournament runs in the last twenty years. By my count there has been one FF, two elite eights, and just four sweet sixteens since 1993. Two years ago this program went 12-20 and many of the kids on that team are on this team that is fighting for a #1 seed. I choose to focus on how far they have come than whether or not they will live up to ridiculously high expectations.

I appreciate the mature civil tone of your post though.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 03-17-2013 at 02:00 PM.

I appreciate the mature civil tone of your post though.
    You, of all people, are giving me lessons on maturity?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Severe irony there

Mood

Bo Ryan is a hell of a coach but my god he makes basketball hard to watch at times. This final game has been awful and this coming from someone who loves to watch defense. When you dont have the talent advantage though the way to win is play like the Badgers do less possessions is a good thing if they want to win.

Wisconsin is so hideously average. It just amazes me how terrible they make us look.

Get off your high horse. You and your clique of teenage girl type posters exhibit the exact same negative character flaws you ascribe to me.