Page 99 of 131 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 3264

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On his radio show he often seems to take a contrarian point of view regardless of the topic. It's good for business.

Truth be told, I don't really mind the cutting down of the nets. The timing was pretty weird, but a Big Ten title, even a shared portion, is something worth celebrating.
    Contributing to the weird timing was the fact that they clinched the tie on a off day because other teams lost.

It is an accomplishment, no doubt about it. Maybe they should have cut the nets down before the game?

I'm still not sure how I feel about giving this team a separate Big Ten banner. But Dakich sent chills up my spine last night talking again about that '83 team, which really was going to be special if Kitchell didn't get hurt.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Is he being facetious? I am not listening today yet.
    He was not. He went to far as to call IU fans stupid for thinking anything differently about it. But that's par for the course with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Contributing to the weird timing was the fact that they clinched the tie on a off day because other teams lost.

It is an accomplishment, no doubt about it. Maybe they should have cut the nets down before the game?

I'm still not sure how I feel about giving this team a separate Big Ten banner. But Dakich sent chills up my spine last night talking again about that '83 team, which really was going to be special if Kitchell didn't get hurt.
    I have absolutely no problem with the banner. I think it is well deserved. This is a special team, that saw IU through its darkest days.

Cutting down the nets, after a loss, is just really weird. I'm not saying it's bad, or they shouldn't have done it. I just think it's a strange thing to do.

I am OK with celebrating the accomplishment. HOW to celebrate it seems to be the issue.

I'd thank the fans and the players for support and hard work, maybe even while lifting the trophy, and certainly while stating with 100% clarity that in our next game we intend to make it so that nobody else has one of these.

To cut down the nets after a loss, however, seems inherently bizarre, and takes the celebration a little too far.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Apparently cutting down the nets after winning a conference championship is an IU tradition that started in 1947. It's been more than a decade since IU's last one, so we've probably just forgotten about it. Not to mention this team royally backed into it.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

As a college basketball fan who just likes watching basketball, and as a BSU fan that's never seen a conference championship, is cutting down the nets a normal routine? I get doing it after the conference tournament win, but completely out of the loop on just the regular season title.

EDIT: Whoops, nevermind then.

I don't give a **** about the net cutting or any of that crap. I give a **** about this team playing like garbage for a few weeks now and losing a huge, huge game at home to a team we match up pretty well against.

link? Because I have been a fan since 1970 (pre-Knight) and don't recall it ever happening. And certainly not for any co-championship that was backed into.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

http://www.hoosiersportsnation.com/i...-back-to-1947/

I guess I got ahead of myself saying it was an IU tradition.

I can't wait till we start handing out participation trophies to our players after each game.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I guess they did cut down the nets in 2002, and maybe other occasions when they won at least a share of the conference title by winning the last home game.

Perhaps this is the first time they "backed into it" so that's just what makes it seem odd.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I don't give a **** about the net cutting or any of that crap. I give a **** about this team playing like garbage for a few weeks now and losing a huge, huge game at home to a team we match up pretty well against.
    Ohio State is a good team. I can easily see them getting hot and making a run in the tournament. I don't think you need to jump off the bridge just yet.

It was a game they should have won, and under the circumstances, I totally understand why you're so upset about it. It could have been a great night of celebration. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think losing to Ohio State is in any way indicative of IU being win it all.

I still think they are the best team in the country, and have the best player in the country. That's more important than possibly sharing a conference title.

Michigan State faced this situation last year:

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-...030412aab.html

The Buckeyes (25-6, 13-5) earned a share of their third straight conference championship and forced the Spartans (24-7, 13-5) to settle for having a piece of it along with No. 13 Michigan.

The Wolverines, who won their first Big Ten title since 1986, watched their rivals play from the school's basketball facility in Ann Arbor after winning at Penn State earlier in the day...

Michigan State's team posed for pictures - without smiling - in front of a Big Ten championship banner during a postgame ceremony to honor its seniors. When it was Izzo's turn to address the crowd, he vowed that the Spartans would bounce back at the Big Ten tournament.

"We're going to go win our championship back," he said

IU has never won the Big Ten Tournament. There's a first time for everything, but I certainly don't expect it to happen. We're just cursed in that thing. Players getting hurt, opposing no-names getting career highs and buzzer-beating miracles are what I think of when the BTT comes to mind.

It's a good thing that internet message boards and bracketology were both unknown in 1980-81.

If not, what would it have been like when we were 7-5 and coming off losses to Clemson and UT-Pan American?

Sky woulda done fell.

http://www.fanbase.com/Indiana-Hoosi...80-81/schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    It's a good thing that internet message boards and bracketology were both unknown in 1980-81.

If not, what would it have been like when we were 7-5 and coming off losses to Clemson and UT-Pan American?

Sky woulda done fell.

http://www.fanbase.com/Indiana-Hoosi...80-81/schedule
    That team also had a good coach...

I had to google it to see if UT-Pan American still exists. They do. They had a big win recently over Oklahoma Panhandle State University and are gearing up for a major clash with the New Jersey Institute of Technology.

http://utpabroncs.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

So Miami losing to Florida Gulf Coast has some precedence in terms of losses to nobodies.

It was awkward for sure but really a minor issue that the national media blew way out of proportion.

I am far more pissed about the game than cutting down some nets. I bet Fred Glass was the driving force behind this and Crean went along with it like a good soldier.

well, this is some good news on iu football, they signed taj williams. he is a 4 star recruit from florida playing wide reciever.
    that makes him the 5th 4 star recruit to come in.
    http://indiana.rivals.com/content.as...0620&PT=4&PR=2

If you haven't seen Jordy's speech from senior night yet.

Highly recommend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hYXzXs_kn0

CWat's and Elston's are good too

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

radio link, since TV will join late:

http://wbat.com/index.php

My God, Crean is a moron. Up 10-3 and he puts in Hollowell, Perea and Abell and Michigan promptly goes on a 12-0 run. What an idiot.

6 minutes left in the first half, I turned if off after Hollowell traveled on a fastbreak, following a layup he missed, and all Crean did was clap.

This team is content with a shared title. Their body language sucks, they aren't moving on offense and Crean is back to trying to get everyone equal minutes.

I told you there was no way we were winning this game. This team is finished.

IU problems to overcome-
    A: Crean will never win a chess match on the basketball court
    B: Crean has not done a very good job developing the bench and rotations to complement the style of play
    C: IU needs to be able to work a slower half-court offense with better designed plays to get Zeller the ball inside or get Hulls open outside. They need to have this in their arsenal situationally even though it's not their preferred style. Sometimes you just need to slow the game down. Sometimes you just need to really, really, really find a way to kill the other team's momentum and to stem the bleeding on your own part with a bucket.
    D: Zeller is soft. We knew Watford was soft... Zeller is coming as a surprise but the Butler game exposed that fact, and further evidence is showing that wasn't a fluke.

Crean playing several players off the bench now might be telling that he recognizes his starters need breathers, and his bench needs to be developed even if it means the bench doesn't come thru for him short term. But IU can't play the pace they play and not utilize the bench or else they will be easy pickings by the end of the game with no legs left. And they aren't going far in the tournament with this pace without more from the bench.

IU might still win this game... and they might still win the NCAA... But if neither happens the above will likely weigh heavily in the loss.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden