Page 14 of 131 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't use twitter, so what one domino fell, and then he convinced the next guy?
    Essentially, yeah. Kenney and Latham had this planned out. It's obvious from their Twitter comments that they're still working on some of the other high-level players in the state too.

http://www.idsnews.com/blogs/hoosierhype/?p=20359
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Darius Latham decommitted from Wisconsin. A 4-star defensive lineman and, much like Kenney, is widely expected to pop for Indiana sooner rather than later. IU is gaining traction on another 4-star DE, Elijah Daniel, as well. Lots of momentum for a team that lost something like 18 straight Big Ten games. They are on the right side of the football too--defensive talent has to improve. Indiana football has piqued my interest.
    Yes, it is very bizarre. All these Indy are d lineman decommitting at the same time. As long as everything is on the up and up, I am excited. It would be cool next year if there could be a good football game leading into Hoosier Hysteria

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty View Post
    Essentially, yeah. Kenney and Latham had this planned out. It's obvious from their Twitter comments that they're still working on some of the other high-level players in the state too.

http://www.idsnews.com/blogs/hoosierhype/?p=20359
    Like I said, I just hope everything is on the up and up. I am sure having a bball program that is expected to dominate is helping too. Maybe the nation's largest weight room is also starting to pay some recruiting dividends.

Watching the recent games I think if IU can improve their defense, they have a shot at being a top 25 team next year. That may be a bit of a stretch but hey, look at that offense, which is being lead by a "back up" QB. The future is very bright it seems for IU. Brighter than I had thought a few weeks back. The question for next year would be who do you have at QB? I love what Coffman has been doing and have no problem turning the keys over to him. But can you pass up your athlete of a QB in favor of the younger QB? Either way, things are definitely looking up. They almost beat Mich St. then really almost beat Ohio State. Two key teams in the B1G, even on a down year. Make the defense bigger, faster and tougher? You got yourself a heck of a dangerous squad.

I like how the Hoosiers bb squad has been publicly support the football team and making appearances. From whats going to be a dominant team on the hardcourt, that can't be anything but good for the improvement of the football team.
    Last edited by Ownagedood; 10-16-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Why do you like what Coffman has done. Sudfeld has been the one to lead 3 near comebacks in the last 4 games.

Latham likes to play basketball and Wisconsin said no to playing two sports, and apparently Indiana is saying yes to him as a basketball walk-on / football-first athlete.

4-star FB recruit and a 6'5" 280-ish BB power forward... why not?

We cannot keep giving up 300+ yards rushing and 40+ points all the time. This can be part of the way to stop that.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Latham likes to play basketball and Wisconsin said no to playing two sports, and apparently Indiana is saying yes to him as a basketball walk-on / football-first athlete.
    If Indiana is saying yes to such an arrangement, kudos to Tom Crean for being willing to play ball in order for the football program to land an impact player.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Indiana is saying yes to such an arrangement, kudos to Tom Crean for being willing to play ball in order for the football program to land an impact player.
    There's no downside for Crean. It's just taking another walk-on body. It doesn't cost him a scholarship and they aren't expecting anything out of him on the court. Any contribution to the basketball team is just gravy for Crean. But I can easily see why the Wisconsin football program would be against it and Indiana's would be fine with it. I highly doubt it was Bo Ryan who said he couldn't do it in Madison.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    There's no downside for Crean. It's just taking another walk-on body. It doesn't cost him a scholarship and they aren't expecting anything out of him on the court. Any contribution to the basketball team is just gravy for Crean. But I can easily see why the Wisconsin football program would be against it and Indiana's would be fine with it. I highly doubt it was Bo Ryan who said he couldn't do it in Madison.
    Oh I'm sure it wasn't. I think Latham's stated preference to stay on the defensive side of the football had about as much to do with it as playing basketball in college did as well. Most programs recruiting him want him to move to the offensive line, which he does not seem to want to do. Indiana is looking to keep him on defense from what it sounds like. Either way, this rarely works out long term--playing both basketball and football. Randle-El did it for a season or two, James Hardy did it for a season or two--it just never seems to stick.

Come and join in song together,
    Shout with might and main;
    Our beloved Alma Mater,
    Sound her praise again.
    Gloriana Frangipana, E'er to her be true.
    She's the pride of Indiana,
    Hail to Old IU!

And the Preseason Number 1 team in the nation on the USA Today Coaches Poll....your Indiana HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSIERS!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

To follow up on this, word has it that some of these 4-star in-state football recruits (not just Latham) have been trading texts with Crean. Not about playing basketball, either. Some even took pictures with him at the football game last weekend and posted them on Twitter. You really have to admire his dedication to the university. I know there's "no downside" to him talking to these guys, but at the same time he doesn't have to do it either.

No doubt. Wilson should be thanking Crean for not only his presence, but the fact he is getting the bball team to show up at university sponsored photo ops for the football team at football games. It is so hard for a great basketball school to also jump start their football program, I'll be very impressed if we can do it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

OT:

Kentucky's plans to build a 2013-14 freshman superteam are continuing, with the 4th top 30 recruit.

Marcu$ Lee Choo$es Kentucky:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ing-class-2013
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Man the boosters are gonna be pissed if they don't win it all that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    OT:

Kentucky's plans to build a 2013-14 freshman superteam are continuing, with the 4th top 30 recruit.

Marcu$ Lee Choo$es Kentucky:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ing-class-2013
    So cool, maybe one day Calipari can play all of his games at home too.

The recruiting class that you speak of might go down as the best of all time. Frankly, Cal has his pick of the top recruits-if he wants them, he's going to get them. Many of the top recruits that "dont pick UK" do so knowing he has his eyes on another player at that position. He is the best recruiter in the history of college basketball.

Its a great time to be a UK fan. As long as Cal is the coach, UK will be competing for a title. Every Single Year.

Hard to believe this might be a down year for UK (top ten ranking).

Greatest recruiter in the history of college basketball? Let's not jump the gun or anything.

Admitedly, I am biased. He is a gambler for sure- Noel just recently cleared to play. Kanter never was eligible two years ago. Wall/Bledsoe both had issues. There is no way they are the the third ranked team this year.

IU is a near lock for the final four this year. As a fan of college ball, and a native of Southern Indiana, I am a fan of Zeller. Player of the year could be in line for him. If Crean's great class can add to the returning players I dont see how IU doesnt win the B10 and make a final four appearance (where anything can happen). I think its fantastic that the top three are IU, UL, and UK. Hopefully the Midwest will be the center of the bball universe this year.

Good luck this season. Should be exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Greatest recruiter in the history of college basketball? Let's not jump the gun or anything.
    I have the blatant UK goon on ignore, but is that really jumping the gun? He has had like 5 straight unprecedented recruiting classes.

I have the blatant UK goon on ignore, but is that really jumping the gun? He has had like 5 straight unprecedented recruiting classes.
    Good for you. Couldnt care less. If you cant handle the back and forth then that's what you should do.

This is like the second or third time you have posted that I am on ignore and then came back with an insult (in this case calling me a name). I suppose I could call you a passive aggressive coward. Calling names then "implying" that you cant see my rebuttals....really?? If you had me on ignore you never would have seen my post- Joe didnt quote it afterall. Grow up, man. Its just a game and UK and IU are rivals- whether we play each other or not. The two teams will probably meet in the dance anyway.
    Last edited by Darren35; 10-18-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Mood

I hate cal. Wish he would just leave the game. He's not good for basketball. Oh well it will all come down eventually either by over signing or getting caught paying their players.

What really frustrates me is that Cal isn't a good coach. Last year, none of his 5 players knew they should have fouled there at the end. And his teams always suck on FTs, why they had to have an amazing night against us in the tourney I have no clue.

But understanding when to foul, and hitting FTs are the little things good coaches get their players to do. Verdell Jones and Watford might not have been able to hold a candle to any of the Kentucky starters last year in the talent department, but they were much better coached players.

Mood

You don't have to be good when you cheat. All he runs is a boot camp to get players to the pros. I watched the all access on him on espn last night and all he talked about is getting 6 players to the pros every year. He doesn't even care about UK. And he's so arrogant. What a slime ball. No way in hell I'd want him in IU. So glad we have Crean.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

John Calipari is a God send for "amateur" basketball players. Blame the NBA, not him, the NCAA didn't put in the one and done rule. Good on him for giving kids whose sole interest is becoming a pro ballplayer an environment that's conducive to it. I mean it. Drop the "student athlete" charade already. They're legal adults who've had a full time job since they were 13 years old and that job was getting to the NBA. And Calipari makes it happen.

The guy's not a scumbag. He's a damn genius that games the system and makes the kids come out on top. Separate yourself from rooting interests and rivalries and whatever. Cal's not dirty. The NCAA's dirty.

I mean I'm just not old enough to really know off the top of my head, and recruiting has really only been a really big deal for what 15-20 years? But I find it hard to say that a lot of other great coaches over years couldn't lay the same claim Calipari does.

Calipari is just playing it a lot riskier than most other coaches. Coach K is a good example he will take someone like Kyrie Irving, but he also tries to pick up guys that are going to stay 2-3-4 years. That doesn't mean Coach K is a worse recruiter than Cal.

Also, I put some claim on finding a 3 or 4 star every once and a while that ends up a stud. That is something Cal does not do very often if at all. He's a great recruiter, but I don't know if I can easily say he is the greatest. It's kind of hard thing to quantify IMO.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 10-19-2012 at 09:11 AM.