Page 5 of 131 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would probably take the over too, but I give it a better chance than most. IU has never had a good football program. If we all of a sudden started to rise and had an up and coming coach, got some buzz around our program, it's not wild to think they would bring Gameday to Bloomington a game or two into the conference season.

Personally, I think Indiana football needs to pull an Oregon. Now, I don't think we can get to that level of success (or anything close to it), but I think we need to get some buzz around our program. Get Adidas to throw together some crazy uniforms for us--maybe incorporate candy stripes into it or something. If Under Armour can incorporate the Maryland state flag into their uniforms, I think Adidas could throw together something neat to create buzz for us.
    We've tried to create buzz. We had catchy slogans with Hep. We spent 55 million dollars upgrading the stadium and also have built top notch weight and training facilities for our athletes. We play on a beautiful campus and are a flagship school in a Midwestern state that has seen a big rise in the quality of its high school football over the past decade. Unfortunately, the best kids in Indiana don't want to play at IU. We've gone through coach after coach (though tragedy unfortunately intervened with one of them). Nothing works.

When Hep died, the program gave it's final breath of ever being competitive. His death has never been fully recognized for the impact he had. He had a true passion for the program and his players and was also a pretty good coach.
    I don't see gameday ever coming here. Basketball should and will get just about every dollar of revenue for the foreseeable future. There is no doubt the next item on the AD's agenda is a new or renovated stadium for BBall, and the second item is probably the same for soccer.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Purdue, who even IU fans, hoosierguy not withstanding, would admit has an exceedingly better football program than IU has hosted College Gameday just one time. The infamous Orton fumble against Wisconsin was the only time it's been to West Lafayette.

If the over-under was at 18, I would certainly take the over.
    Ugh. Don't remind me. That was the year! The stars aligned! Then the fumble and it all fell apart.

Honestly though, I've never been able to understand why IU can't at least put together a respectable football program. I mean, if Purdue can why can't IU? It's not like IU doesn't give the program resources or anything.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Ugh. Don't remind me. That was the year! The stars aligned! Then the fumble and it all fell apart.

Honestly though, I've never been able to understand why IU can't at least put together a respectable football program. I mean, if Purdue can why can't IU? It's not like IU doesn't give the program resources or anything.
    I agree. I don't see anything that is holding IU back from having a program at least on par with the current Purdue. I don't think it could get to where Purdue was in the early portion of the Joe Tiller years but the late Tiller/Danny Hope period should be attainable. They obviously will never be a good football program but there is no reason they should be a perennial doormat.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

I just think it's hard to realize how much we just don't care about IU football. Hep made us care for a while, I was a student then and we went to games and had fun and actually saw the light at the end of the tunnel that beckoned for us to actually be good and then he died and everything changed. EVERYTHING. Letting Bill Lynch take over did not help matters. I firmly believe that if Hep had been the coach of the Lynch team that made the Sun Bowl or whatever it was, that team should have won 9 games that year, but because Lynch is maybe the worst football coach I have ever seen, they struggled to get 7 and coughed up 2 or 3 wins along the way.

Maybe this week's game means more than we thought?

http://www.sippinonpurple.com/northw...osingest-team-

-Lance Stephenson

How can you not laugh?

You guys are so melodramatic. Our football program will never be relevant? I'm sure that's what Kansas State fans said before Bill Snyder showed up. Same story with Oregon before the Nike money/Rich Brooks pumped life into their program. If you can win at Kansas State, you can win at Indiana. I think there is a passion for football lurking within our fanbase--I'm certainly not ready to just say, "Okay, our football program is going to suck forever no matter what. Who gives a ****?" The program has potential.

Melodramatic? I'm not being dramatic. I'm being realistic. We suck. We've sucked for a long time. We've tried new coaches, established coaches.

If you're referring to me and the Hep stuff about being dramatic, well that was dramatic that was a huge blow to the program. We got an honest to goodness enthusiastic and good coach to come to IU, from a job at Miami of Ohio that he probably could have had for life and was having success with. I don't know when we will see that kind of hire present itself to IU football again,

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    If you're referring to me and the Hep stuff about being dramatic, well that was dramatic that was a huge blow to the program. We got an honest to goodness enthusiastic and good coach to come to IU, from a job at Miami of Ohio that he probably could have had for life and was having success with. I don't know when we will see that kind of hire present itself to IU football again,
    Yes, that is what I was referring to. It was dramatic, to be sure. It derailed the steady progress our football team made, to be sure. But it wasn't a death knell to the program. Mid-major coaches and high major coordinators are still going to come here. We have money, we have the facilities, we have the pieces in place. We just need the right leader. We had it in Hoeppner, and I don't subscribe to the fact that he was the only football coach out there who could raise IU to relevance.

Yes, that is what I was referring to. It was dramatic, to be sure. It derailed the steady progress our football team made, to be sure. But it wasn't a death knell to the program. Mid-major coaches and high major coordinators are still going to come here. We have money, we have the facilities, we have the pieces in place. We just need the right leader. We had it in Hoeppner, and I don't subscribe to the fact that he was the only football coach out there who could raise IU to relevance.
    I had a post that I ended up not submitting for fear of seeming callous but the gist of it was that while losing Hep was certainly tragic, his years at IU seem to be over romanticized after the fact. However, I do believe he proved that a competent coach can have moderate success at IU.

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I had a post that I ended up not submitting for fear of seeming callous but the gist of it was that while losing Hep was certainly tragic, his years at IU seem to be over romanticized after the fact. However, I do believe he proved that a competent coach can have moderate success at IU.
    I suspect a certain poster will come at you guns blazing for saying that, but it's probably true. The thing about Hep was the energy he brought to the program. It didn't seem feigned. It seemed like this is where he genuinely wanted to be and he genuinely wanted the elevate the program. I was a student when he was there and there was just a buzz that surrounded the program with him.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darren35 View Post
    Nearly everytime I take a look at this thread, no matter how much time has elapsed, someone on here has something to say negative about UK. I know Hoosiers hope UK/Cal gets in more trouble with the NCAA, but I doubt it happens anytime soon.
    Wishful thinking?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

You guys are so melodramatic. Our football program will never be relevant? I'm sure that's what Kansas State fans said before Bill Snyder showed up. Same story with Oregon before the Nike money/Rich Brooks pumped life into their program. If you can win at Kansas State, you can win at Indiana. I think there is a passion for football lurking within our fanbase--I'm certainly not ready to just say, "Okay, our football program is going to suck forever no matter what. Who gives a ****?" The program has potential.

That's what we said before Bill Mallory arrived. That might be what we said before Lee Corso arrived (I wasn't old enough to remember IU football before Corso was hired, but as I've said IU football was an even bigger deal around our house growing up than IU basketball.)

And there's something to this trend, we need to hire a really solid MAC head coach who's ready to jump to the Big Ten.

Hep did bring energy. What happened to him was a shame.

DiNardo, however, was never given much of a chance. So in order you've got the DiNardo termination which was iffy, hiring Hep which was brilliant, Hep's health which was tragic, and then a series of complete cluster-you-know-what's. This program is not terminal. But it needs serious help and I don't think Wilson's "lets lose 44-40" approach is going to work.

I, personally, can't wait for IU football to be credible again. 1987-1991ish was a lot of fun to be in the top-20 nearly every week.

I suspect a certain poster will come at you guns blazing for saying that, but it's probably true. The thing about Hep was the energy he brought to the program. It didn't seem feigned. It seemed like this is where he genuinely wanted to be and he genuinely wanted the elevate the program. I was a student when he was there and there was just a buzz that surrounded the program with him.
    If you're talking about me, the answer is no I won't come "guns blazing". Here's the thing though, there is no doubt the buzz Hep had around campus for IU football hadn't been seen since the late 80s. Maybe the Randle El years. And the buzz has not returned, Wilson has done absolutely nothing to get the fan base excited about the program. Basically the only reason people even buy football tickets is to get the bonus points for the basketball system. Hep got people to buy into the fact that IU football can be fun and exciting. He seemed like a genuinely mentoring figure, especially if you've ever listened to James Hardy talk about him. Heck, he was even able to keep Kellen Lewis in line, which turned out to be a miracle of some kind.

Maybe the basketball program's resurgence will cause enough money to get thrown about that football sees some improvement, but what more can you do? We have top notch facilities so I don't see a chance to improve there. Maybe Wilson just sucks that much, he does not get me excited at all.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I'm glad to say that I attended IU when we were actually relevant for a football season. I was a sophomore in the fall of 2007. That was a fun time around campus. Our football team was actually decent and we had Eric Gordon to look forward to in the winter.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

The biggest mistake after Hep's death was retaining Lynch just because the team made it to a bowl game. What a waste of time that was.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Also, I hate having the Big Ten logo on our jerseys. Court doesn't bother me, but having it on our unis does.

If you're talking about me, the answer is no I won't come "guns blazing".
    Nah I was talking about hoosierguy

23. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Kevin Wilson killed IU's first down song? This guy...

-Lance Stephenson

The biggest mistake after Hep's death was retaining Lynch just because the team made it to a bowl game. What a waste of time that was.
    Yeah that was easily the worst part. I remember thinking before the season, "****, we are definitely good enough and the schedule is definitely easy enough to make a bowl game, and that will almost certainly be enough for Lynch to keep the job." The university was between a rock and a hard place there.

There were two problems during the Randel El years; (a) it was clear that was a one-man team; and (b) it was clear that Cam was going to be a carerr OC, not a head coach. Not that there's anything wrong with that, and you can't really fault IU for giving a coach "of their own" with a great reputation as an assistant a chance at HC. It didn't work, but that was a reasonable thing to try.

So I haven't had much excitement for IU football since before Mallory's team collapsed.

I think Wilson and Lynch were equally terrible decisions.

I wanted to hire Mike Leach, warts and all, even though he had been fired from Texas Tech. He could find wideouts, a QB, and lineman here like he did at Tech, where they were way behind about 8 other Big 12 schools in tradition.

I understand it was politically unwise, maybe even unthinkable to the board, but he is among a handful of true innovators in coaching. It might still be 44-41 football, but I'd bet we'd win some of them.

I have no confidence in Wilson on either side of the ball, at this point.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

The problem wasn't Hep dying per se (although if he hadn't died that team goes 8-4 maybe 9-3) what killed the program was Lynch took everything Hep built and tore it down through stupidity. We had that one year where we could have lured away an established coach from somewhere and we wasted it. Now the best we can get is a coordinator that we have to overpay.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

If you look into it you'll find out Leach was done completely wrong by Texas Tech. His only real warts are that he's pretty eccentric and doesn't do well with the gladhanding type stuff that comes with being a head coach, kissing boosters' butts and all that. I was begging for Purdue to hire him (or Sumlin) before this year even though that's about the worst fit in the world culture wise.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post: