Page 4 of 131 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apparently 4 Star Recruit Troy Williams might come to Hoosier Hysteria. Guess hes buds with Anya and Robinson. Still odd he would visit even though he doesn't have an offer from us and yet hes willing to come out to Hoosier Hysteria.
    He does have an offer from us.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    He does have an offer from us.
    Are you sure, On ESPN its not saying we offered him.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/Indiana/bask...nHu_s.YrdbsJB4

Yeah, I'm about 98% sure he has an offer from us. I feel like I just read something from Jeff Rabjohns on this.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I didn't get to listen today, did Dakich address the Lyles stuff anymore?
    Today I heard the tail end of a rant about Calipari telling his family to pursue legal action against him. He proceeded to beg them to do it. Saying he's willing to put his hand on a Bible and tell the truth, but he doubts they are. Nor do they want people really looking deeper into his recruitment. So he knows they're bluffing.

It was pretty awesome.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Oh thats cool. With the class we have coming in this year, it might be a good idea to over recruit this year Crean should make a push. Would be crappy if we don't lose more people than expected. But it would also suck to lose those people and have passed up on a great talent like him.

God when was the last time Indiana had this problem? The 90s?

Other than the seniors, the only underclassman I see leaving is Cody. Yogi is probably too small to leave after just one year. Maybe Vic if he can develop a jumper.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I hope this somehow blows up on Calipari, but I have to think he's too polished in his sleazy slimyness to not have a backdoor out of any trouble.

I think Calipari targeted Lyles to get at Crean over the whole scheduling thing and to show Crean he could still get Indy kids without even playing in Indy. Further, not only would he get Indy kids, he would get one already committed to IU.

Trey might be just a pawn in this situation, with his dad and Cal both in it up to their knees.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Noah Vonleh reclassified to the 2013 class. Around the same time IUs interest increased. Odd.

We are already over 1 scholarship. At most we are gonna sign one more person.

Assuming Cody goes to the NBA. We are good now. But it looks like we are planning to oversign again next year. And Insidehall is reporting that we might be trying to sign 2 of the remaining 4 big target recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Noah Vonleh reclassified to the 2013 class. Around the same time IUs interest increased. Odd.

We are already over 1 scholarship. At most we are gonna sign one more person.

Assuming Cody goes to the NBA. We are good now. But it looks like we are planning to oversign again next year. And Insidehall is reporting that we might be trying to sign 2 of the remaining 4 big target recruits.
    I really hate the oversign rule.

Nearly everytime I take a look at this thread, no matter how much time has elapsed, someone on here has something to say negative about UK. I know Hoosiers hope UK/Cal gets in more trouble with the NCAA, but I doubt it happens anytime soon.
    Last edited by Darren35; 09-24-2012 at 10:33 PM.

The sun rises, the sun sets, Kentucky cheats. It's been that way my whole life. Are we not supposed to notice?
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

It's a shame that we aren't playing UK this year given that our program has returned to prominence. It would be great to beat them this year. All of the UK-IU trash talk, which used to be fun, now rings hallow given that we don't play them. We were fools not to take the two games that Cal offered us in Indy. What better way to stick it to UK than to beat them in in a stadium with 50/50 IU/UK fans? That would make for some fun trash talk as fans headed for the exits. This is what is so irritating about college sports. At least egos in professional sports leagues can't stop teams from playing each other. Silly crap like the debate over where to play the IU-UK game is why I will always be a professional sports fan first and foremost.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-25-2012 at 10:21 AM.

See, I think those "silly debates" are part of what makes college sports great. To me, there's more emotion than what you get in pro sports, JMO.

I agree though, it is unfortunate, and well stupid that both sides couldn't get it done.

You have to think that Crean wishes he had Hartman's schollie back right now. That was an unfortunate early commit for us, he just has not impressed me any time I see him live and Vonleh is basically a much more talented Hartman. It will be interesting to see what happens here. You have to think Anya is still our number 1 target, but Vonleh's talent is pretty tough to pass up.

You have to think that Crean wishes he had Hartman's schollie back right now. That was an unfortunate early commit for us, he just has not impressed me any time I see him live and Vonleh is basically a much more talented Hartman. It will be interesting to see what happens here. You have to think Anya is still our number 1 target, but Vonleh's talent is pretty tough to pass up.
    Perhaps Crean is thinking that if he gets another major forward Hartman might reopen his recruitment. I doubt it seriously, but it could be the solution they are hoping for. Him choosing to go elsewhere for playing time.

Kind of torn on this. Of the remaining 4 players we are likely to get they are all quality players. And we really can't go wrong with any of them. Trey Burke helped show that kids can surprise once they get to college.

Two trains of thought here I think

1) Most talented player, who can contribute as a freshman. We will likely have the pieces to still contend for a NC even if Watford and Zeller leave. So Vonleh could step in, and help provide a boost to a team looking to reload from a hopefully successful run.

or

2) Guy more likely to stay multiple years, and provide damn good play multiple years.

I tend to favor 2, simply because I am not sure I want to see IU no matter how prominent it becomes, become a school for one and dones.

Whatever happens though, i am sure we will get a talented player or players possibly out of this group of 4

See, I think those "silly debates" are part of what makes college sports great. To me, there's more emotion than what you get in pro sports, JMO.

I agree though, it is unfortunate, and well stupid that both sides couldn't get it done.

I like the emotion when people are debating basketball and the teams themselves. But a polarizing debate over where to play a game doesn't do anyone any good, IMHO. All it turns into is both sides believing that the other guy is pure evil who is out to screw them. IMHO, IU and IU fans got so caught up in not wanting to be perceived as having lost a war to Calipari that they lost track of what was really important, which was the game itself. What's our prize for standing up to Calipari and not giving into him? No game at all. What a hallow victory.

I know that I'm not adding anything new here as this has been debated to death. But I come on here and read IU-UK trash talk, which would have been fun back when we were playing them in three months. But now it's completely meaningless, and that is sad. I remember watching (and going to) IU-UK games for as long as I can remember. But now Kentucky is just another team who isn't on our schedule. They are no longer a rival. The IU-UK game was always a great way to kickoff the Chirstmas season, and now it's gone. And I blame IU just as much as UK, if not more. They had the opportunity to be the bigger man in this, but in the end they acted just as silly and petty as Calipari. Seriously, who turns down two games in a world class stadium that is freaking 50 miles from your campus in a city that has the highest % of IU alums in the country? Plus we already know that the Indy setup worked EXTREMELY WELL for a long long time. If we think we're better than UK then we should be jumping on the chance to beat them in front of a 50 something thousand seat place that is half IU/half UK
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-25-2012 at 07:52 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I like the emotion when people are debating basketball and the teams themselves. But a polarizing debate over where to play a game doesn't do anyone any good, IMHO. All it turns into is both sides believing that the other guy is pure evil who is out to screw them. IMHO, IU and IU fans got so caught up in not wanting to be perceived as having lost a war to Calipari that they lost track of what was really important, which was the game itself. What's our prize for standing up to Calipari and not giving into him? No game at all. What a hallow victory.

I know that I'm not adding anything new here as this has been debated to death. But I come on here and read IU-UK trash talk, which would have been fun back when we were playing them in three months. But now it's completely meaningless, and that is sad. I remember watching (and going to) IU-UK games for as long as I can remember. But now Kentucky is just another team who isn't on our schedule. They are no longer a rival. The IU-UK game was always a great way to kickoff the Chirstmas season, and now it's gone. And I blame IU just as much as UK, if not more. They had the opportunity to be the bigger man in this,And I blame IU just as much as UK, if not more. Seriously, who turns down two games in a world class stadium that is freaking 50 miles from your campus in a city that has the highest % of IU alums in the country? Plus we already know that the Indy setup worked EXTREMELY WELL for a long long time. If we think we're better than UK then we should be jumping on the chance to beat them in front of a 50 something thousand seat place that is half IU/half UK
    i gotta disagree with this. there are some things that don't quite fly in my book. such as "And I blame IU just as much as UK, if not more." well, uk wanted it their way or no way at all. and because of that uk deserves more blame for being completely inflexible on this. and "but in the end they acted just as silly and petty as Calipari" no, not really. iu even offered a compromise where we would do a couple of neutral site games and a couple of home games (the wishes of both teams get met this way) but uk still said no deal.
    THEY were the ones refusing to budge even an inch. this is all about cowardice. there was no way cal was going to jeopardize his home court winning streak by bringing iu into lexington and facing the possibility of getting beat at home.
    if cal got his way on everything, uk would never play another tough home game ever again but only on neutral sites so he can keep his streak alive. uk is a basketball school in a football conference. he knows the sec doesn't put out many tough teams besides uk. i looked at their schedule and yep- totally devoid of any tough home games.
    at least we got north carolina coming to town.
    bottom line is that we were willing to meet them halfway. they were not willing to budge on anything at all.
    does iu deserve some blame? perhaps. but uk deserves more.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    i gotta disagree with this. there are some things that don't quite fly in my book. such as "And I blame IU just as much as UK, if not more." well, uk wanted it their way or no way at all. and because of that uk deserves more blame for being completely inflexible on this. and "but in the end they acted just as silly and petty as Calipari" no, not really. iu even offered a compromise where we would do a couple of neutral site games and a couple of home games (the wishes of both teams get met this way) but uk still said no deal.
    THEY were the ones refusing to budge even an inch. this is all about cowardice. there was no way cal was going to jeopardize his home court winning streak by bringing iu into lexington and facing the possibility of getting beat at home.
    if cal got his way on everything, uk would never play another tough home game ever again but only on neutral sites so he can keep his streak alive. uk is a basketball school in a football conference. he knows the sec doesn't put out many tough teams besides uk. i looked at their schedule and yep- totally devoid of any tough home games.
    at least we got north carolina coming to town.
    bottom line is that we were willing to meet them halfway. they were not willing to budge on anything at all.
    does iu deserve some blame? perhaps. but uk deserves more.
    I know that Cal was stubborn and inflexible. Never said he wasn't. Boy we sure stood up to him, didn't we? So what's our prize for that? No game at all. Yay, what a great victory!

IU had the opportunity to be the bigger man in all of this. It's not like Cal was demanding that we play two games in Louisville or something. He was giving us two games in OUR STATE. Indy has the highest percentage of IU alum of any major city in the country and is 50 miles from IU's campus. Any IU student who wanted to go could have found their way up there. We know for a fact that the Indy setup worked very well for a long time. I understand why many people preferred the series being on campus, but it still cannot be denied that the Indy setup worked pretty well too. It's not like we would be playing in Anarctica or something.

I can't believe we refused this because we missed out on ONE home game in a four year span. And it's not like every student who wanted to go could have gone. When I had student season tickets 5 years ago (the Gordon year), UK was one of the games that I didn't get tickets for.

I care more about the game than I do winning some silly war with Calipari. I don't care that Calipari is a coward, ***, etc etc. That means nothing to me. I just want to see the basketball game. IU could have accepted a fairly reasonable offer to continue the series in Indy's world class stadium. We know it worked very well there for a long time. But instead, we refused because we missed out on one home game in a four year span. Silly, IMHO. We are just as guilty as screwing the fans out of the game as UK is.

We clearly wanted this game more than UK did. When you're bargaining with a party who doesn't want something as badly as you, sometimes you have to make concessions. Winning a war with Calipari became more important to IU than playing the actual game. Shame.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Schedule is out. Lots of 9PM tips for Btown games. Nice for me having to head down there from work.

Just for fun...

Me and some of my IU friends were discussing Hoosier football the other day and I prompted this question (I may have asked it on here before, I forget) to them: What is the over/under on years before College Gameday comes to Bloomington? I set it at 18 years (2030). My friends all took the over, some of them citing "never" as their answer. What say you guys? Keep in mind that doesn't mean we are title contenders. We start out 5-0 against cupcakes and beat one ranked team in that stretch and have a powerhouse program ranked in the top 10 like Ohio State or Michigan come to town and who knows?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Darren35 View Post
    Nearly everytime I take a look at this thread, no matter how much time has elapsed, someone on here has something to say negative about UK. I know Hoosiers hope UK/Cal gets in more trouble with the NCAA, but I doubt it happens anytime soon.
    Well now, I'm sure that if I were to go out and find a random sports message board where the majority of posters are likely to be UK fans, there would be nothing but sunshine and unicorns from them regarding the Hoosiers. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Well now, I'm sure that if I were to go out and find a random sports message board where the majority of posters are likely to be UK fans, there would be nothing but sunshine and unicorns from them regarding the Hoosiers. Right?
    The troll does have a point though: UK is on cruise control and Calipari is clearly a professional at skirting the rules. They won't get in trouble any time soon. So I'm fine letting them have their one and dones and just beating them with three and degree.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just for fun...

Me and some of my IU friends were discussing Hoosier football the other day and I prompted this question (I may have asked it on here before, I forget) to them: What is the over/under on years before College Gameday comes to Bloomington? I set it at 18 years (2030). My friends all took the over, some of them citing "never" as their answer. What say you guys? Keep in mind that doesn't mean we are title contenders. We start out 5-0 against cupcakes and beat one ranked team in that stretch and have a powerhouse program ranked in the top 10 like Ohio State or Michigan come to town and who knows?
    Purdue, who even IU fans, hoosierguy not withstanding, would admit has an exceedingly better football program than IU has hosted College Gameday just one time. The infamous Orton fumble against Wisconsin was the only time it's been to West Lafayette.

If the over-under was at 18, I would certainly take the over.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Purdue, who even IU fans, hoosierguy not withstanding, would admit has an exceedingly better football program than IU has hosted College Gameday just one time. The infamous Orton fumble against Wisconsin was the only time it's been to West Lafayette.

If the over-under was at 18, I would certainly take the over.
    I would probably take the over too, but I give it a better chance than most. IU has never had a good football program. If we all of a sudden started to rise and had an up and coming coach, got some buzz around our program, it's not wild to think they would bring Gameday to Bloomington a game or two into the conference season.

Personally, I think Indiana football needs to pull an Oregon. Now, I don't think we can get to that level of success (or anything close to it), but I think we need to get some buzz around our program. Get Adidas to throw together some crazy uniforms for us--maybe incorporate candy stripes into it or something. If Under Armour can incorporate the Maryland state flag into their uniforms, I think Adidas could throw together something neat to create buzz for us.

Just for fun...

I'd take the over, as in never.