Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Purdue 2012-2013 Athletics thread

Sports Logo

Default Re: Purdue 2012-2013 Athletics thread

We're gonna be the youngest team in history

I never hear about JUCO’s anymore. Apparently the NCAA cracked down.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...ct-on-jc-level

As for the above, at least it's the right AJ leaving. I won't miss him.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo

Yeah, wish little AJ well, but it's the same deal as Lawson. Not exactly losing much production. I just hope Painter doesn't rush to hand out scholarships to kids that he shouldn't just because he feels the panic of not having much depth. Get a 5th year guy, maybe a juco, bank the other scholarship. I doubt he'd do it but adding 3 4 year guys who're available this late wouldn't be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never hear about JUCOís anymore. Apparently the NCAA cracked down.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...ct-on-jc-level

As for the above, at least it's the right AJ leaving. I won't miss him.
    OK, come on, though 2.5 at a JUCO isn't an impossible hurdle...

Relatedly the signs at NCAA tournament touting the 2.3 GPA requirement to stay eligible didn't exactly put the universities in the best light, I thought...

What is the depth chart next year if we can't find anyone? I can't take 35 minutes of the remaining Johnsons I don't think.

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Johnsons, Davis
    Scott, Stephens
    Smotherman, Hale
    Hammons, Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    Johnsons, Davis
    Scott, Stephens
    Smotherman, Hale
    Hammons, Simpson
    think we'll be good enough to go 4 on 5?

no

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't believe Painter didn't see more of a recruiting windfall from the Hummel/Johnson/Moore teams. You guys had such momentum, especially with Indiana in the bowels of the Big Ten. I don't think you guys have the facilities to consistently bring A-level out of state talent to West Lala, but I'm just surprised you are in the state you are currently in. I can never root for Purdue, but I like it when both Indiana and Purdue are good. The early 90s were amazing.

Is Painter trying to find those diamonds in the rough or are the guys he is bringing in just not living up to their potential or what? I'm not an insider and am not trying to troll on you guys. Just trying to figure out how you guys got down to 10 scholarship players with only one guy with even a chance at All-Big Ten.

For the most part it's guys not living up to their potential and not buying in to the defense first, play your *** off at all times philosophy.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I can't believe Painter didn't see more of a recruiting windfall from the Hummel/Johnson/Moore teams. You guys had such momentum, especially with Indiana in the bowels of the Big Ten. I don't think you guys have the facilities to consistently bring A-level out of state talent to West Lala, but I'm just surprised you are in the state you are currently in. I can never root for Purdue, but I like it when both Indiana and Purdue are good. The early 90s were amazing.

Is Painter trying to find those diamonds in the rough or are the guys he is bringing in just not living up to their potential or what? I'm not an insider and am not trying to troll on you guys. Just trying to figure out how you guys got down to 10 scholarship players with only one guy with even a chance at All-Big Ten.
    A couple Sweet 16s aren't enough to catch the attention of Indiana. I don't mean that the state doesn't understand that Purdue's a very respectable program, but the hype, the sexiness, all that jazz. Robbie doesn't shred his knee when Purdue's one of a handful of favorites for the title, far and away the best shot since I've understood what I'm watching, who the hell knows, Purdue Luck I guess, I don't know.

People look at it as Purdue's a big school in a HS hoops Mecca, but it ain't that easy. It's not Maryland with Gary Williams refusing to play the AAU game in the DC Metro area. Purdue's named "Purdue University," outside of the Big Ten footprint not a lot of people know Purdue's even in Indiana. IU's got (old, really dusty) banners hanging, and they're INDIANA UNIVERSITY. You know just as well as any Purdue fan/alumni that plenty of yokels all over the state that've never even seen a college campus support IU because they're IU and they've won, it's not that different than the problem the Pacers have. "Yeah, they're pretty solid usually, but they don't win ****."

I don't want to keep ranting and type an essay, but Purdue's just not sexy. We don't have banners, Mackey's a ton of fun but it's not about to wow anyone, and we're headed by a Keady disciple. I adore Painter, I think if you give him and Crean the exact same sqauds Painter'd destroy him 90% of the time. But this isn't 1993, you have to recruit and Painter just can't do it. **** if Kendall Stephens' dad weren't Everette there's not a chance in hell he's at Purdue. It's not a fun system, it's an old school philosophy from top to bottom. Painter's pulled in pretty solid back to back classes, bunch of 4 stars, but we'll see if they stay. Kids just have a different philosophy now and running constant motion and man to man really limits your options. But I really do think people at least somewhat underestimate how behind the 8ball Purdue is with getting top tier local kids. It's on no one but Purdue to change that, but it's the truth. I'm also drunk, so there's that. But it's disappointing.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I don't understand recruiting, and if I'm honest with myself, I don't really want to. Just like I don't want to know how sausage is made.

I work with a guy whoís a huge Kentucky fan, and heís constantly on me about recruiting. But I donít want to go down that road. I donít want a bunch of one-and-doneís, and I sure donít want to live in fear of the NCAA. Luther Clay was enough for one lifetime.

I think Painterís a great coach. Is he a lousy recruiter? Yeah, probably. Hopefully his power play with Burke last year will produce some results down the line. But at the end of the day, Iíd rather have a program that coaches up mediocre kids than what Missouriís dealing with right now.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I don't understand recruiting, and if I'm honest with myself, I don't really want to. Just like I don't want to know how sausage is made.

I work with a guy who’s a huge Kentucky fan, and he’s constantly on me about recruiting. But I don’t want to go down that road. I don’t want a bunch of one-and-done’s, and I sure don’t want to live in fear of the NCAA. Luther Clay was enough for one lifetime.

I think Painter’s a great coach. Is he a lousy recruiter? Yeah, probably. Hopefully his power play with Burke last year will produce some results down the line. But at the end of the day, I’d rather have a program that coaches up mediocre kids than what Missouri’s dealing with right now.
    I don't know, but I feel like it is partially because Painter isn't going to tell kids they'll be a star, they'll start right away, or any thing like that. I would imagine he tell the kids and their families that they'll get playing time if they bust their *** and play D, work on their game, and that they have to keep up in school.

Maybe that's not right, but it just seems like he's more of an honest guy than a 'salesman'.

Little AJ's Grandmother is Ill

That's the primary reason for his transfer.

"'Playing time really has nothing to do with this,' Johnson said. 'Coach (Matt) Painter was more than fair with me. I got to play 15 minutes a game as a redshirt freshman and 18 a game this year, which is almost half. I was treated fairly. That’s for sure.'

What Johnson did not share with me Monday and what he wanted to tell me Thursday is that his maternal grandmother, a woman who helped raise him in Chicago, is battling cancer and that he wants to attend a school close to her."

Sad to see. If I recall correctly, he can file some sort of waiver that would let him play immediately.
    Man, feel bad for AJ. He wasn't the best, but I liked him. Saw him a couple times and was a cool guy. Showed some emotion when others didn't. Hope all goes well with AJ's grandmother.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    I don't know, but I feel like it is partially because Painter isn't going to tell kids they'll be a star, they'll start right away, or any thing like that. I would imagine he tell the kids and their families that they'll get playing time if they bust their *** and play D, work on their game, and that they have to keep up in school.

Maybe that's not right, but it just seems like he's more of an honest guy than a 'salesman'.
    That's definitely a big part of the problem. Painter's a basketball coach and that's priority A through ZZ for him, he really doesn't seem too concerned about playing the game. Couple that with a style that's really not a lot of fun for some kids and a hardass "play D or sit" mentality that's not very open to adaptation. I love him and hate him for it at the same time. From a pure basketball fan perspective it's what every coach should be, but it's really self-limiting.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

So apparently Marcius is pissed off because he actually needs to take two classes this summer to graduate and since his scholarship ends this semester the JPC won't pay for them. You asked out of your scholarship dude, that's what it means.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    A couple Sweet 16s aren't enough to catch the attention of Indiana. I don't mean that the state doesn't understand that Purdue's a very respectable program, but the hype, the sexiness, all that jazz. Robbie doesn't shred his knee when Purdue's one of a handful of favorites for the title, far and away the best shot since I've understood what I'm watching, who the hell knows, Purdue Luck I guess, I don't know.

People look at it as Purdue's a big school in a HS hoops Mecca, but it ain't that easy. It's not Maryland with Gary Williams refusing to play the AAU game in the DC Metro area. Purdue's named "Purdue University," outside of the Big Ten footprint not a lot of people know Purdue's even in Indiana. IU's got (old, really dusty) banners hanging, and they're INDIANA UNIVERSITY. You know just as well as any Purdue fan/alumni that plenty of yokels all over the state that've never even seen a college campus support IU because they're IU and they've won, it's not that different than the problem the Pacers have. "Yeah, they're pretty solid usually, but they don't win ****."

I don't want to keep ranting and type an essay, but Purdue's just not sexy. We don't have banners, Mackey's a ton of fun but it's not about to wow anyone, and we're headed by a Keady disciple. I adore Painter, I think if you give him and Crean the exact same sqauds Painter'd destroy him 90% of the time. But this isn't 1993, you have to recruit and Painter just can't do it. **** if Kendall Stephens' dad weren't Everette there's not a chance in hell he's at Purdue. It's not a fun system, it's an old school philosophy from top to bottom. Painter's pulled in pretty solid back to back classes, bunch of 4 stars, but we'll see if they stay. Kids just have a different philosophy now and running constant motion and man to man really limits your options. But I really do think people at least somewhat underestimate how behind the 8ball Purdue is with getting top tier local kids. It's on no one but Purdue to change that, but it's the truth. I'm also drunk, so there's that. But it's disappointing.
    100% agree with the bolded.

I actually agree with just about everything you said. I don't know how I have missed this post until now. You're ending is fantastic. "I'm also drunk, so there's that."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

So apparently Marcius is pissed off because he actually needs to take two classes this summer to graduate and since his scholarship ends this semester the JPC won't pay for them. You asked out of your scholarship dude, that's what it means.
    OK, so apparently when John Hart transferred the JPC paid for him summer classes the semester prior to him leaving even though he wasn't technically on athletic scholarship. If, and I stress if, that's the case then pay for Sandi's. You don't pay for one kid just because you don't care if he leaves but not another because you want him to stay. I know the JPC had a scholarship deficit last year, but frankly I don't care, the JPC can cover a $7k summer session no problem.

HOWEVA, the reason I stress the if, is because this is all coming from a reporter up in Valpo. Which is, from what I understand, the region Sandi's "people" (for lack of a better word) are. He can easily be getting fed a line of bull. But either way somebody gave Sandi some bad advice, you don't ask for your release so you can take advantage of the graduate rule when you haven't actually graduated. I imagine he'd have no problem passing the classes, he was All Academic in 12 and 13, but still, what if he doesn't?

OK, so apparently when John Hart transferred the JPC paid for him summer classes the semester prior to him leaving even though he wasn't technically on athletic scholarship. If, and I stress if, that's the case then pay for Sandi's. You don't pay for one kid just because you don't care if he leaves but not another because you want him to stay. I know the JPC had a scholarship deficit last year, but frankly I don't care, the JPC can cover a $7k summer session no problem.

HOWEVA, the reason I stress the if, is because this is all coming from a reporter up in Valpo. Which is, from what I understand, the region Sandi's "people" (for lack of a better word) are. He can easily be getting fed a line of bull. But either way somebody gave Sandi some bad advice, you don't ask for your release so you can take advantage of the graduate rule when you haven't actually graduated. I imagine he'd have no problem passing the classes, he was All Academic in 12 and 13, but still, what if he doesn't?
    Difference is Hart and Painter supposedly mutually agreed on his leaving.

@GoldandBlackcom: #Purdue coach Matt Painter: 'A couple guys, I just want them to register on the give-a-damn meter.'

^ & ^^
    Kickstarter.

I can see both sides, but Burke and Painter come across as a little scummy here:
    http://www.jconline.com/article/2013...summer-classes

Kawaan Short to the Panthers at #44

Josh Johnson to SD

Robert Marve and Akeem Shavers to TB

Sports Logo

was kinda surprised Johnson didn't get drafted. yeah he's not the biggest guy but he tested pretty well otherwise, figure he could make for competent depth.

Sports Logo

Played at Cathedral with Barlow. Not a game changer but would be a pretty solid get as far as 5th year guys go.

Sports Logo

2014 SG Dakota Mathias from northwest Ohio just committed. Don't know much about him other than he seems like a sniper and Dave Telep likes him, but who doesn't he like. First team All Ohio Division 2, for whatever that's worth. Had offers from us, West Virginia, and Boston College. Was going to visit Stanford and Butler but it didn't get that far.