Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Purdue 2012-2013 Athletics thread

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: Purdue 2012-2013 Athletics thread

Basketball team's not very good. My hopes of 20 wins and tourney bubble are dwindling fast, but that's OK. This is a pretty talented group, add next year's class (assuming little Everette gets right), and then the big returns I expect in 2014+, we're in business. Hammons is going to be a stud, think he may be able to go pro after his junior year.

Anyway, there's rumors of Burke putting out feelers to Butch Jones at Cincinnati. I'm not head over heels with that name, his whole career's been a couple years of good records coaching Brian Kelly's players. But if, if, IF, that's true, I'm absolutely head over heels with the search for a replacement. I'm going off the top of my head so this could be wrong, but Hope makes like $950k. Jones, at UC, makes I think $1.3 mil plus a 500k buyout.

THIS is what needs to happen. If you expect to compete for the occasional conference title when the breaks go your way you're not doing it with the lowest salaried head coach AND the lowest salaried group of assistant coaches.

Sports Logo

Hoops team'll be in the 2014 Maui Invitational. Pretty cool. Rest of the field'll be Arizona, BYU, Mizzou (hope we get to kill em), Pitt, San Diego State, Kansas State, and of course Chaminade.

Sports Logo

also, if you were thinking with the addition of Rutgers Purdue wouldn't seem so cheap anymore, nope. still the thriftiest athletic department in the conference.

this is what needs to change if titles is the goal. complete culture change. wishful thinking, I know.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That has the potetential to be a really stacked 2014 Maui invite. Depending on how Hammons (and a couple other recruits for the other teams) pan out I could see top 25 teams of Zona, Purdue, Pitt, San Diego St, Mizzou, and K St.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

"I don't mess with West" ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, Kendall Stephens is still playing his senior year with a torn labrum.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow, Kendall Stephens is still playing his senior year with a torn labrum.
    Yeah, saw that. I'm sure they talked to all the doctors and whatnot, but it sounds like a terribly bad idea. It's in his shooting shoulder even.

66-40 sounds good. (edit: just checked Willmington's last two games--puts a bit of a damper on the win: L Richmond 58-101, L Ohio 47-85)

Starting lineup (AJH/Lawson/Byrd/AJ/TJ) is probably what we'll want to go with for the rest of the year

35 All a barn burner at Ross Ade!

(and that KO "return" just made up for all the great ones this year).

OOOOh dirty stiff arm! 42-35.

56-35! That is more like old times!

Sports Logo

from Carmin

Sally Hope, Danny's wife, just walked through the press room. Said she was "gloating because you couldn't wait for us to lose and we won"
    yikes

Sports Logo

Danny Hope's had 3 wins against teams that finished the year with a winning record in his entire Purdue tenure

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Danny Hope's had 3 wins against teams that finished the year with a winning record in his entire Purdue tenure
    ...which is just getting started! (OK, probably not). But I wonder why people are so confident he is getting canned. I am also not sold on this NIU guy, since he has only been there 2 years, so who knows if he can recruit.

People aren't going to like this, but what about Jim Chaney? His HC just got fired at UT, but the offense was not the problem this year.

"I don't mess with West" ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    ...which is just getting started! (OK, probably not). But I wonder why people are so confident he is getting canned. I am also not sold on this NIU guy, since he has only been there 2 years, so who knows if he can recruit.
    I'm not convinced he'll go at this point either. I think he saved his job the last three weeks.

Also, Marve has quickly made me a huge fan of his. The play where he ran down the defender after his INT was awesome.
    Last edited by ECKrueger; 11-24-2012 at 10:52 PM.

Sports Logo

If winning 3 games (first 3 game winning streak of Hope's Purdue career btw) against the worst 3 teams in the conference and finishing a regular season at .500 (w/ no wins against bowl eligible teams) is enough for Hope to keep his job then not just hope but Morgan Burke need to be fired. The absolute only case for Burke to keep Hope is he's fine with mediocrity.

Burke's 100% driven by keeping the athletic department in the black. Attendance has declined every year of Hope's tenure. Making bottom tier bowls doesn't help the finances either, a lot of the time they end up actually costing schools money. I have absolutely no doubt Hope's gone. I don't take pleasure in it, I think Hope's a good man and players genuinely like playing for him so I hope he lands on his feet, but he is nowhere near a Big Ten coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    If winning 3 games (first 3 game winning streak of Hope's Purdue career btw) against the worst 3 teams in the conference and finishing a regular season at .500 (w/ no wins against bowl eligible teams) is enough for Hope to keep his job then not just hope but Morgan Burke need to be fired. The absolute only case for Burke to keep Hope is he's fine with mediocrity.

Burke's 100% driven by keeping the athletic department in the black. Attendance has declined every year of Hope's tenure. Making bottom tier bowls doesn't help the finances either, a lot of the time they end up actually costing schools money. I have absolutely no doubt Hope's gone. I don't take pleasure in it, I think Hope's a good man and players genuinely like playing for him so I hope he lands on his feet, but he is nowhere near a Big Ten coach.
    Although bizarrely enough, he was probably a Ricardo Allen tweak away from beating the end of reg-season #1 team on the road. (Granted, he coached that game poorly).

Hope is gone. Fret not, Boiler fans. The real question is whether or not you guys will open the pocketbook for a good coach.

Sports Logo

Hope's officially gone, presser at 7:30. Best wishes to Hope. But about damn time.

Sports Logo

http://purdue.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1431858

After four seasons as Purdue's head football coach, Danny Hope is out.

GoldandBlack.com has learned Hope and players were informed Sunday, a day after Purdue's bowl-clinching win over Indiana, that Hope would not be retained. In four seasons as Purdue's head coach, Hope was 22-27, including the 4-8 record the Boilermakers posted in 2010, a season virtually destroyed by injury. Purdue will play in its second consecutive bowl game.

Purdue won seven games in 2011 and won the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl in Detroit, its first bowl appearance since 2007.

But the Boilermakers - with a team Hope called his best since he's been at Purdue - came into 2012 hoping for more, considered following a 3-1 start to be a potential contender in the Big Ten's Leaders Division among those programs eligible to play in the Big Ten title game.

But the opening of the Big Ten season was an unmitigated disaster for Purdue, which lost its first five conference games, four of them by way of blowout. The Boilermakers rebounded to beat struggling Iowa and Illinois, then Indiana, to become bowl-eligible, but it wasn't enough to save Hope.

GoldandBlack.com had learned that it was the second of those blowouts, a 38-14 loss to Wisconsin Oct. 13, that essentially sealed Hope's fate and compelled Purdue to decide a change would be made following the season.

And in recent weeks, Purdue, as it did a year ago prior to extending Hope's contract, mobilized for a coaching search, researching potential candidates and asking for monetary contributions, seeking to put together a war chest of a targeted amount of around $4.5 million for its pursuit of its next staff.

Among the coaches Purdue is interested in, according to sources, are Cincinnati head coach Butch Jones, Louisiana Tech coach Sonny Dykes, Northern Illinois coach Dave Doeren, Oregon offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich and others.
    Emphasis mine. Yeah buddy.

"seeking to put together a war chest" not = "has war chest."

Plus, how many years is the 4.5 mil split over?

Sports Logo

It's not split over anything. It's the amount they're prepared to spend on a staff and buyouts this year.

****, if we waited one more year, we probably couldve gotten Kiffin!

Sports Logo

Grigson, Polian, and Rick Smith (Texans GM, Purdue alum) involved in the coach search

^Jim Caldwell? (joke)

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-f...eatures/rumors

Purdue could pursue recently dismissed Auburn head coach Gene Chizik. Chizik has a history in the Midwest having coached at Iowa State before being hired at Auburn, plus his recruiting abilities would be a big step in the right direction for the Boilermakers.
    I know that's speculation, but as an IU fan, I would love this.