Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Purdue 2012-2013 Athletics thread

Default Re: Purdue 2012-2013 Athletics thread

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so, it'd be pretty sweet if we didn't lose to Bucknell
    would've been pretty sweet if we didn't lose to Bucknell.

does Mike Brown want to coach some college?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I consider you guys losing to Bucknell karma for mackey poking fun at our sweet 16 rings
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 11-09-2012 at 10:12 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Bucknell's good. They returned pretty much every one from a 25 win team. Should be in the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Bucknell's good. They returned pretty much every one from a 25 win team. Should be in the tourney.
    25 wins in the Patriot League!

Purdue Athletics is becoming LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I consider you guys losing to Bucknell karma for mackey poking fun at our sweet 16 rings
    In his defense, those things are embarrassing.

Painter is a good coach and you guys have a young team. Bucknell isn't exactly a name brand, but they are a good team. But yeah, it's rough sledding for Boiler fans lately. At least you guys can rejoice when Hope gets axed at year's end.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    25 wins in the Patriot League!
    I haven't watched it yet so I don't know what happened, but looking at the box it was missed FTs (sound familiar) and no Terone Johnson, who's pretty easily the best player on the team. Bucknell IS good but there's still no excuse to lose to them at home, one of those opening tourneys in the middle of nowhere maybe, but not at home.

I don't really know what people are expecting out of this team. Remember the Baby Boilers losing to Wofford at home early on? DJ Byrd's not the same punk high school kid that used to abuse me the majority of the time at local open gyms, but he kinda is. I'm nowhere near an NCAA (or NAIA) quality player but DJ didn't completely embarrass me. I don't say this to toot my own horn or whatever or rag on DJ, just to say that he's one of our two best players, we aren't going to be very good. Get on the bubble on and I'll be satisfied.

Sports Logo

watching this Texas A&M/Alabama game just hurts

Sports Logo

So Nord misses the game with an injured back (get well soon btw), and there's fairly intelligent playcalling that results in a road conference win. Coincidence?

I haven't watched it yet so I don't know what happened, but looking at the box it was missed FTs (sound familiar) and no Terone Johnson, who's pretty easily the best player on the team. Bucknell IS good but there's still no excuse to lose to them at home, one of those opening tourneys in the middle of nowhere maybe, but not at home.

I don't really know what people are expecting out of this team. Remember the Baby Boilers losing to Wofford at home early on? DJ Byrd's not the same punk high school kid that used to abuse me the majority of the time at local open gyms, but he kinda is. I'm nowhere near an NCAA (or NAIA) quality player but DJ didn't completely embarrass me. I don't say this to toot my own horn or whatever or rag on DJ, just to say that he's one of our two best players, we aren't going to be very good. Get on the bubble on and I'll be satisfied.
    I just watched the game last night. After watching I feel much better about the team than after looking at the box score. They missed a ton of free throws. They couldn't create turnovers on defense. They couldn't play defense without fouling. Bucknell also hit quite a few WTF shots that were well contested and/or so stupid they should have never been taken. Without Terone, DJ Byrd had to be more assertive offensively, and that's a bad thing. With Terone, they probably win somewhat easily.

Painter's substitution patterns were exhibition-like. He clearly still doesn't know what he has in his bigs, and outside of Hale - who looked good offensively - neither do I. He played all 6 bigs and each had their moments. The interesting thing was that Hale, Lawson, and Simpson were clearly better than Marcius, Hammons, and Carroll. If Painter has a strict idea of which guys are 4's and which are 5's, I'm going to predict that he changes that before season's end.

Ronnie Johnson looks special. He reminds me a bit of a Big 10 level Kyrie Irving. Does almost everything well, but doesn't have any discernible skill that is outstanding. Watching RJ play was like watching Hummel play as a freshman. You just know you're going to love watching this guy play for 4 years.

Davis was really good defensively, but he doesn't seem very quick. He's a power guard.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Sucks that the game is not on TV today.. Boiler up!

did MP bench DJ Byrd and AJohnson?

TACOS!

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I almost never mention refereeing but Purdue has been royally butt ****ed in this Nova game. Without lube or a reach around.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo

I don't like blaming refs either but that was utter ********.

55 fouls in 45 minutes of play.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Sports Logo

Despite the loss, I'm super excited about Ronnie Johnson. He's really gotta fix that short release jumper, but I have a hard time coming up with a guy that's shown his court vision so early in my time watching Purdue. Hammons disappointed me somewhat, he just seems soft and not willing to use his giant body much at all. He's got surprisingly good feet and isn't as unathletic as some led me to believe , but just needs a good bit of coaching up. He got abused a couple times by that fellow frosh big from Nova. Put Lawson's brain in Hammons's body you got a surefire lottery pick. Anthony Johnson's played pretty well too, I don't know what Painter recruited him as but I didn't expect him to ever be the go-to backup point, but he's pretty solid in the role, I don't know if that's just necessity or what. He's a gritty kid that really likes playing strong on ball defense and that's always fun.

And free throws. *****. These are predominately Indiana bred kids, hit your damn FTs, at least 70% or so. There's really no excuse for it. The bigs OK maybe, big *** hands and all. But the wings, Terone especially, I just don't get it. His stroke's ok enough, but it's just brick after brick. Get Billy Kelly on loan or something.

Sports Logo

According to Ken Pomeroy the Byrd "flagrant" increased Villanova's win probability by 30%. That call is absolutely inexcusable. The broadcast crew said the 2 refs that reviewed it on the monitor simply couldn't decide. So they had the guy with the least experience (I assume that's why he wasn't looking at the replay initially) come in and decide for them. That's ****ing ridiculous. I don't care what jersey you root for, it's an embarrassment to refereeing. There's 3 refs. 2 of em say "hell, I don't know." So let the rookie take the blame.

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

For more good news, Kendall Stephens is missing his senior year because of shoulder surgery. Figures.

That was definitely a foul by Byrd, IMO, but it was probably one of the worst flagrant calls I've ever seen. Wow, that was bad, I honestly couldn't believe it when they made the call.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    That was definitely a foul by Byrd, IMO, but it was probably one of the worst flagrant calls I've ever seen. Wow, that was bad, I honestly couldn't believe it when they made the call.
    Despite what appeared to be a pretty severe flop, I don't think anyone was upset that a foul was called. It was a bad play by Byrd to even be there and a turnover there was probably well earned.

But the flagrant was absolutely brutal. Especially since they went through the trouble to actually review it and it was such a clearly non-flagrant foul. That's the part that got me.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Mood

Despite the loss, I'm super excited about Ronnie Johnson. He's really gotta fix that short release jumper, but I have a hard time coming up with a guy that's shown his court vision so early in my time watching Purdue. Hammons disappointed me somewhat, he just seems soft and not willing to use his giant body much at all. He's got surprisingly good feet and isn't as unathletic as some led me to believe , but just needs a good bit of coaching up. He got abused a couple times by that fellow frosh big from Nova. Put Lawson's brain in Hammons's body you got a surefire lottery pick. Anthony Johnson's played pretty well too, I don't know what Painter recruited him as but I didn't expect him to ever be the go-to backup point, but he's pretty solid in the role, I don't know if that's just necessity or what. He's a gritty kid that really likes playing strong on ball defense and that's always fun.

And free throws. *****. These are predominately Indiana bred kids, hit your damn FTs, at least 70% or so. There's really no excuse for it. The bigs OK maybe, big *** hands and all. But the wings, Terone especially, I just don't get it. His stroke's ok enough, but it's just brick after brick. Get Billy Kelly on loan or something.
    Yeah Johnson is looking nice, got a decent amount of charging calls last night but I think that will be fixed with time, Hammons has gotten much smaller than what he was before, I was actually amazed, this was the first game of theirs I was able to see this season, and I think with him his game will come with his maturity, he is still young so I am not worried about it as much. Looking at our team you can tell we have a ton of young talent, would not be surprised to see our team push for a big ten title in the next 2-3 years, we will need to improve our outside shooting though.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Despite what appeared to be a pretty severe flop, I don't think anyone was upset that a foul was called. It was a bad play by Byrd to even be there and a turnover there was probably well earned.

But the flagrant was absolutely brutal. Especially since they went through the trouble to actually review it and it was such a clearly non-flagrant foul. That's the part that got me.
    So not a big basketball rules guy, but I always thought a player could bring the ball up as long as he came up straight and not in a swiping motion, and then should be able to have the space to maneuver to find someone to pass it to... Either way it definitely was not a flagrant and I was super surprised they called that, as well as the call on Johnson, they should have just let them play and not called the ticky tac foul to put them at the line on an inbounds play
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post

Yeah, I completely agree with what you are saying.

Detroit here we come...

Interestingly Edison and Macarthy had 0 catches. What's up with that?