Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Chicago Cubs Baseball - 365 days til...or 380..or 400... It doesnt matter. Cant wait for 2014!

Default 2013 Chicago Cubs Baseball - 365 days til...or 380..or 400... It doesnt matter. Cant wait for 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If "Jeff Samardzjia is opening day starter" doesn't scream "This is the year we finally win the World Series" I don't know what does!

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...miss-all-april

F MY LIFE ALREADY!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2013 Chicago Cubs Baseball - 365 days til...or 380..or 400... It doesnt matter. Cant wait for 2014!

Is this the only team thread here that starts pessimistic and goes downhill?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 2013 Chicago Cubs Baseball - 365 days til...or 380..or 400... It doesnt matter. Cant wait for 2014!

It's basically an announcement of surrender.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Come on dude. They've got at least until late March before they are mathematically eliminated.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yep, it is going to be a long season. I wish we would of traded Garza last year now he is going to have no value(compared to last year) at the deadline due to the new rules. We should just sign him to a long term deal now I guess, first major blunder for Theo IMO.

I am strongly considering going to Mesa next week for spring break. Watch some WBC and Cubbie spring training. Would be nice to watch the team in 1st place . I know when im at Wrigley this summer we will be in dead last.

Brush I think you mean mid April lol we should be a good 10 games back by then. I cant wait for June 6th and July 2nd going to be a huge days for the future of the team. We have so much money to spend in the new CBA due to sucking on International free agents we have to get 3-6 impact talents. It also doesn't hurt we have the 2nd pick in the draft with a ton of bonus money to play with to sign a few first rd talents with the extra money we have over other teams.

By July 31 half the rotation and guys like De***** will likely be playing elsewhere. We problly have 2 more years of this ****. It sucks but I have always been a fan of drafting and building a farm, so I can't complain I ask for this so now I have to bare the consequences of a ****** team for 5 years.

I have tickets to my annual Cubs v Reds matchup on the 24th of april....for sale.

Theo didnt too bad internationally. Almora might be a star. Baez in the draft is coming soon. Soler might be close next year. He's a stud.

This year is going to be bad, barring some sort of epic miracle.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    Theo didnt too bad internationally. Almora might be a star. Baez in the draft is coming soon. Soler might be close next year. He's a stud.

This year is going to be bad, barring some sort of epic miracle.
    Almora was in the draft. Soler and Pagiua were international guys. We're also just signed a Cuban reliever yesterday. I like what he did via trade.

Theo has been on point so far. You cant argue that at all. He's done what he's said he would do. Rebuild the Farm System. Get rid of the contracts, develope players ect. The pitching is highly suspect both in the Bigs and the Minors.

I mean what? Are we hanging our hats on Arondys Vizcaino panning out? It's questionable.

Mood

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...ing-life-field

Totally agree with Riley here

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/kapma...akes-his-pitch

leverage!! Wrigley is a dump I hope they dont move because I love wtaching games there. However it needs completely rebuilt and the City is being a dick. If they do move to Rosemont that wouldn't be bad at all though. That is closer for me and easier to get to the park. 25 acres sounds super small though for a brand new stadium.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...ing-life-field

Totally agree with Riley here

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/kapma...akes-his-pitch

leverage!! Wrigley is a dump I hope they dont move because I love wtaching games there. However it needs completely rebuilt and the City is being a dick. If they do move to Rosemont that wouldn't be bad at all though. That is closer for me and easier to get to the park. 25 acres sounds super small though for a brand new stadium.
    Wow, I didn't realize just how badly the Cubs were getting screwed by the city. It's insane how much the rooftop leaches make.

I'm not a sentimental person when it comes to stadiums. I'm glad that the Yankees evolved into the 21st century by building a beautiful state-of-the-art venue which will maximize revenue. Fans want the team to spend as much money as possible on players, so they shouldn't be upset when the team builds a park that will maximize its bottom line. The Yankees did it the right way by keeping the team in The Bronx and giving the New Stadium similar features to the original. I think its best for teams to push sentimentality aside and build stadiums that look like they are from the 21st century.

That being said, if the Cubs are going to stay in Wrigley for the long term, they need to take notes from the Red Sox. According to Wikipedia, the Red Sox have spent 285 million on Fenway. As Riley mentions, the Red Sox have done an excellent job selling advertisements all over the stadium. But the City of Boston doesn't put bizarre restrictions on the team like Chicago does with the Cubs. If I were a Cubs fan, I'd be livid with the city.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-18-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Wow, I didn't realize just how badly the Cubs were getting screwed by the city. It's insane how much the rooftop leaches make.

I'm not a sentimental person when it comes to stadiums. I'm glad that the Yankees evolved into the 21st century by building a beautiful state-of-the-art venue which will maximize revenue. Fans want the team to spend as much money as possible on players, so they shouldn't be upset when the team builds a park that will maximize its bottom line. The Yankees did it the right way by keeping the team in the Bronx and giving the new Stadium similar features to the original. I think its best for teams to push sentimentality aside and build stadiums that look like they are from the 21st century.

That being said, if the Cubs are going to stay in Wrigley for the long term, they need to take notes from the Red Sox. According to Wikipedia, the Red Sox have spent 285 million on Fenway. As Riley mentions, the Red Sox have done an excellent job selling advertisements all over the stadium. But the City of Boston doesn't put bizarre restrictions on the team like Chicago does with the Cubs. If I were a Cubs fan, I'd be livid with the city.
    I have not been to the new Yankee stadium but I loved the old one. Went for a series for Oakland a few years before it closed. The place was magical, I can only imagine how nice the new one is. One of the best venues I have been to is old Yankee stadium Mr. Shepherd on the PA was beyond great felt like Wrigley. It was a baseball game not a side show like a lot of venues I have been to.

I agree, I have never heard of a city who said no to letting the team totally publicly fund a 500m dollar project to retool a stadium. The issue was the Tribune Company let the city do whatever and just wanted fast cash. They kept getting into stupid deals and now the Ricketts have to clean up the mess. I believe the city will cave the economics that Wrigley generates in that area is unreal local business would be irate if the Cubs moved. That would kill that area of town.

I know I would rather have 20m more per year to spend on players than stay in Wrigley. I want the team to be successful over a ball field. That the city treats like a museum which is a total joke.

This will help us big time lure free agents. The facility are beyond bad they are like a AA level. I know the Indianapolis Indians have a better clubhouse. The big thing the city needs to let us play 60 night games. I love day baseball but my god it affects the team and that isnt BS. Waking up at 8am to play a day game coming in off a night road game would be damn near impossible to recover. I know it would **** up my sleep habits. It is a joke the city needs to give us that first and fore most.

Chicago Cubs Convention 2013 from Terry Maday on Vimeo.

Chicago Cubs Operations Vision from Terry Maday on Vimeo.

I love the plan for the future these videos gets me stoked every time I see it.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-23-2013 at 02:29 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I have not been to the new Yankee stadium but I loved the old one. Went for a series for Oakland a few years before it closed. The place was magical, I can only imagine how nice the new one is. One of the best venues I have been to is old Yankee stadium Mr. Shepherd on the PA was beyond great felt like Wrigley. It was a baseball game not a side show like a lot of venues I have been to.

I agree, I have never heard of a city who said no to letting the team totally publicly fund a 500m dollar project to retool a stadium. The issue was the Tribune Company let the city do whatever and just wanted fast cash. They kept getting into stupid deals and now the Ricketts have to clean up the mess. I believe the city will cave the economics that Wrigley generates in that area is unreal local business would be irate if the Cubs moved. That would kill that area of town.

I know I would rather have 20m more per year to spend on players than stay in Wrigley. I want the team to be successful over a ball field. That the city treats like a museum which is a total joke.

This will help us big time lure free agents. The facility are beyond bad they are like a AA level. I know the Indianapolis Indians have a better clubhouse. The big thing the city needs to let us play 60 night games. I love day baseball but my god it affects the team and that isnt BS. Waking up at 8am to play a day game coming in off a night road game would be damn near impossible to recover. I know it would **** up my sleep habits. It is a joke the city needs to give us that first and fore most.

I love the plan for the future this video gets me stoked every time I see it.

I unfortunately never saw a game at old Yankee Stadium, which is my biggest sports regret. I've been fortunate enough to see a game at the New Stadium in each of the four years that it's been open, and I absolutely love the place. It's a beautiful venue. I envy that you got to hear Mr. Sheppard. A recording of him introduces Jeter every time Cap' goes to the plate, so thankfully there is still a part of him at the games.

I agree that spending all that money on the upgrades would help lure better free agents. Chicago city officials seem to be content with the team maintaining the "lovable losers who play in a cute ballpark" identity, which is a shame for all of the loyal Cub fans out there who want nothing more than to see that team win. That's how people used to view the Red Sox until about ten years ago when their ownership got super serious and started running them like a monster big market team that would spend spend spend. I'd say that's worked out pretty damn well for them over the past decade. The Cubs need to do what the Red Sox did. Modernize Wrigley like the Sox did Fenway, while recruiting top-tier talent in the process. If Rickets has to play hardball by acting like he's serious about moving elsewhere, then he should do it.

I agree about the night games too. Those have to get old for the players. I'd much rather play in the evenings than in the midday heat in the middle of summer. That has to get tiring on your body.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-19-2013 at 10:50 AM.

I'm not waving the flag yet. I wanna see what happens when Garza comes back healthy and we lose Edwin Jackson in some strange underground city on a road trip.

^^^ You want to see a modern stadium with ads and jumbotrons everywhere, go to any one of the other 31 stadiums...I'm with the city on this one--Wrigley is a historical site and should be treated with some respect...its history and location is a big part of what draws people in...blaming facilities for inability to attract FAs is a joke, they will come if they are offered $...threat to move to Rosemont is also laughable...

Mood

I will be going to watch Jorge Soler and Baez next week down in Dayton pretty excited. Soler has been on a tear, ever since his suspension for trying to hit the other team with a bat

Yes, Edwin Jackson sucks.

I'm trying to predict how the Cubs will blow the Cards game today. It's probably going to be horrific.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    ^^^ You want to see a modern stadium with ads and jumbotrons everywhere, go to any one of the other 31 stadiums...I'm with the city on this one--Wrigley is a historical site and should be treated with some respect...its history and location is a big part of what draws people in...blaming facilities for inability to attract FAs is a joke, they will come if they are offered $...threat to move to Rosemont is also laughable...
    you have no clue what you are talking about if you truly believe that. Wrigley is a dump I am half temped not to go back it really isnt safe. It is literally falling apart. I don't sit in the upper deck. There is a good chance pieces of rock will fall and it someone, so I avoid that.

and exactly go to the 31 other cities Fenway they rebuilt and now is a cash cow that has A+ facilities and still the historic features.

Asking any professional team to be treated like a Museum is a joke. If anyone believed that, lol. Imagine Herb Simon being told he couldn't have Friday and Saturday games and instead the Pacers must play on Monday at 11am(but all other NBA teams could keep the schedule the same). That would be the biggest piece of **** ever. It is a business and an active one. You cannot do that to a team it just isn't right. The city is so wrong in this situation. The Cubs are the only reason people go to Wrigleyville I hope they move and see how the Mayor feels with his "Historic site" and see how the business do around there without the Cubs playing every summer.

Rosemont isn't laughable but I did read a rumor about Cicero and that is LOL. No way they move to Cicero that place is nasty.

have you took a tour of Wrigley?? The clubhouse and batting cages are AA quality at best. Albert Pujols said he wouldn't of played at Wrigley simply because the facilities suck. I know if I was a baseball player and the Cubs offered me 5 yrs 60m and the Yankees offered 5 years 50-55m I would take the Yankees offer all day because of the ball park and the resources the club has. Of course if the Cubs offered 5yrs 60m and the next best was 5 yrs 45m I would sign with the Cubs all day, but in the process the Cubs just overpaid me by 15m. It isnt the only reason, but the day games and the facilities are a big reason the Cubs struggle.

But this is all irreverent the mayor cant be that stupid. If he really lets the Cubs move he is a dead man walking especially considering what the Ricketts are asking for which is 0 dollars.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 05-08-2013 at 04:30 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'm trying to predict how the Cubs will blow the Cards game today. It's probably going to be horrific.
    Beltran is gonna take Russell deep is my guess

EDITk I was wrong just a single that ties the game
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 05-08-2013 at 04:29 PM.

It's pretty fitting that on a glorius day where we get rid of Carlos Marmol, Homer Bailey pitches a No hitter and James Russell gets Carlos Marmol disease.

Mood

It's pretty fitting that on a glorius day where we get rid of Carlos Marmol, Homer Bailey pitches a No hitter and James Russell gets Carlos Marmol disease.
    The top international FA took less money to sign with us. That is what all the new facilities will do for us. We had a home run in international free agency. Although the chances of them ever making it is pretty slim I mean they are 16 year old kids lots of growing up to do.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...#disqus_thread

We got #1 and #2 along with a few in the mid teens. Tonight might be Garza's last start. Pretty sad, but exciting at the same time. Josh Donaldson makes me mad, I never wanted to trade him and Gallagher. It seems like Beane never loses a trade. One more solid sell off this year and another draft and another solid July 2nd next year and we should have the best system in baseball minors wise.

I must say the tanking started Chris Rusin makes me

They're clearly not tanking. I dont remember the last time they were 8 games from .500, this late in the season. Soriano is playing out of his F'ing mind and the top 4 starters in the rotation are pitching masterfully right now. 9 games from the wild card would look more like 4 or 5 if Marmol, Camp and James Russell had gotten the memo that they were no longer tanking games. lol

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Heading up to the Friendly Confines on Friday for our annual bus trip from the Episcopalian church where my wife works. Looking forward to the beer, the Cubs, the beer, the brats, the beer, and the beer.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I'm headed up to Wrigley on Sunday night with my father in law (also a Cards fan) and my brother in law (Cubs fan). 2nd time to Wrigley but first for a Cubs-Cards game. Looking forward to it, I'll be proudly rocking my Cardinal red.