Thread: NFL to use replacement refs week 1

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default NFL to use replacement refs week 1

This is just embarrassing. If this drags into mid-season then Goodell's competence should be called into question. I heard that they were bad in the Pats/Giants game last night, but I didn't watch it. Anyone watch that game? I thought they were just horrible in the Colts-Steelers game a couple weeks ago.

You can't bill yourself as being the premier sports league in America if you have these scabs reffing your games.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/83...regular-season

Default Re: NFL to use replacement refs week 1

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is just embarrassing. If this drags into mid-season then Goodell's competence should be called into question. I heard that they were bad in the Pats/Giants game last night, but I didn't watch it. Anyone watch that game? I thought they were just horrible in the Colts-Steelers game a couple weeks ago.

You can't bill yourself as being the premier sports league in America if you have these scabs reffing your games.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/83...regular-season
    Or you could look at it this way as well.... without those scabs there would be no games.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Or you could look at it this way as well.... without those scabs there would be no games.

I don't think finding some replacement refs was ever an issue. There are enough refs in this country that there was never any doubt that the NFL could bring *someone* in to officiate the games. But this is the NFL, a league which by most measures is the premier sports organization in the Untied States. They should have the best of the best reffing the games.

I don't think finding some replacement refs was ever an issue. There are enough refs in this country that there was never any doubt that the NFL could bring *someone* in to officiate the games. But this is the NFL, a league which by most measures is the premier sports organization in the Untied States. They should have the best of the best reffing the games.
    Its going to get ugly before it gets better but for the time of the playoffs they will have the regular guys in. Most of the blown calls I have seen are holding after 5 yards on a WR or pass interference. This favors the Colts style of play atleast on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Its going to get ugly before it gets better but for the time of the playoffs they will have the regular guys in. Most of the blown calls I have seen are holding after 5 yards on a WR or pass interference. This favors the Colts style of play atleast on defense.
    It will get really interesting next week if say the Cowboys get screwed by a call on opening night in front of millions and millions of people. That could end up costing them the division at the end of the season, as the Giants and Cowboys were neck and neck last year. If the Cowboys get screwed then you can bet that Jerry Jones will be out front and center complaining about it in the media. That's exactly what needs to happen.

It's going to take a team with a vocal owner getting screwed in a crucial game for something to be done about this.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It will get really interesting next week if say the Cowboys get screwed by a call on opening night in front of millions and millions of people. That could end up costing them the division at the end of the season, as the Giants and Cowboys were neck and neck last year. If the Cowboys get screwed then you can bet that Jerry Jones will be out front and center complaining about it in the media. That's exactly what needs to happen.

It's going to take a team with a vocal owner getting screwed in a crucial game for something to be done about this.
    And much as it pains me to say it, I think the Eagles are going to take the NFC east.

As for everything else you said, I agree 100%

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

You're just now calling Goodell's competence into question? That guy is trying to Out-Stern David Stern as if compromising the quality of the game in order to improve marketing opportunities is a good thing.

He is turning into a trainwreck and frankly it is the sponsors keeping the popularity of the game up at record levels so he thinks he's doing it right.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

I read on stampedeblue today that when this happened through week 2 of 2001, the refs they called up were basically just one step away from being NFL refs. They called up officials that were on "waiting lists". These guys were high level D-1 that were ready for NFL games. The guys they have in there this go around are from the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference and Lingerie Football League.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/8/3...eferee-edition

Think of massive ratings that week one games will get, and imagine how vocal the outcry will be if these guys are bad across the board. You have Giants-Cowboys to open the season, which will just get massive ratings. You have Steelers-Colts on Sunday night. People will be tuning in to see Manning, plus the Steelers have a massive fanbase. Everyone is going to be tuning in for these games, and the league is going to look like a joke if these guys are screwing up.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    You're just now calling Goodell's competence into question? That guy is trying to Out-Stern David Stern as if compromising the quality of the game in order to improve marketing opportunities is a good thing.

He is turning into a trainwreck and frankly it is the sponsors keeping the popularity of the game up at record levels so he thinks he's doing it right.
    Don't worry, one of these times, he's going to screw an owner bad enough that he will lose the support of all of them. He already has a lifelong enemy in Tom Benson. If he also got Jerry Jones on the wrong side of him, I'm pretty sure those two by themselves could rally enough support to drum him out.
    Last edited by travmil; 08-30-2012 at 01:53 PM.

He's certainly not on good terms with the Rooneys either.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    He already has a lifelong enemy in Tom Benson.
    Personally, if I were Goodell, I could care less if Benson was a lifelong enemy. If Benson's people had followed league directives (and quite possibly, NOT LIED to the commish), he wouldn't have had this problem.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Personally, if I were Goodell, I could care less if Benson was a lifelong enemy. If Benson's people had followed league directives (and quite possibly, NOT LIED to the commish), he wouldn't have had this problem.

QFMFT

I dont think Snyder "likes" him, though I doubt he cares. I know Redskins fans and some powers to be have a strong disdain for the Giants and their dumbass (which was funny watching them get the order to STFU when the collusion charge came) people who ran their mouth.

Then again, Snyder has burned so many bridges I am surprised he has any left.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

I'm actually hoping Harrison sits out week #1 because of his knee surgery. I'd really like to see the Steelers put some clean, but very very hard hits on that #18 QB guy during week #1. Welcome him back to tackle football the physical way and knock him around a lot. But if Harrison breathes on him, either the replacement refs will throw a flag or Goodell will suspend Harrison for impairing the league's marketing plan.

If he were really concerned for safety, there are a number of things he could do. Including penalizing the offensive players for lowering their heads into the strike zone at the last moment. But he's not enforcing those rules primarily for safety, he's doing it to protect his marketing assets under the ruse of player safety. The League Store has been caught red-handed selling photos of "illegal" hits because he's so duplicative. Goodell has pissed off some of the owners, for sure, but many of the players absolutely hate him. Even Stern isn't widely hated by the players. Stern originally made the NBA a player's league, especially for marketing/ endorsing without really picking favorites. Bird, Magic, and the Jordan punk were self-selected. Stern didn't start getting himself into much trouble until he tried to force-feed clowns like Penny Hardaway into that national superstar role when they didn't earn it.

We can only hope Goodell improves his reputation up to that point.

He's bad news for the sport of tackle football.

Listening to ESPN radio today I heard that a couple of the refs came from the Lingerie League.....