Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMO, the Pacer's can beat BOS this season.

Hybrid View

Default IMO, the Pacer's can beat BOS this season.

I think the Pacer’s can beat Boston this year. Both during the regular season and the playoffs. One win for Boston, the rest for Indiana during the regular season and 4-2 if they match up during the playoffs.

Boston has 15 guys right now, but there is a lot of deadwood.

Paul Pierce
    Kevin Garnett
    Rajon Rondo
    Jeff Green
    Brandon Bass
    Courtney Lee
    Avery Bradley
    Chris Wilcox
    Jason Collins
    Keyon Dooling
    Jared Sullinger
    Fab Melo
    Dionte Christmas
    Jamar Smith
    Kris Joseph

Which seems to mean their rotation should look something like this. At least the 8 guys that will be doing most of the heavy lifting. To me it looks like 3 guys and a bunch of fill in the blanks. They’re counting of Jared Sullinger and Fab Melo to be regular rotation guys. I don’t see it, but opinions vary.

PG – Rondo
    SG – 2 of Lee/Terry/Bradley
    SF – Pierce
    PF – Green/Bass
    C – Garnett

Defensively, Rondo will be a problem for Hill, but less of a problem than he is against most teams. Pierce will give Danny some problems. As will Kevin Garnett vs Roy. But, Garnett the Elder is a jump shooter, as is Pierce the Elder and the lack of anything resembling an inside game should work in the Pacer’s favor. Maybe Green can give BOS some scoring, but he is, IIRC, another jump shooter.

Offensively, Roy should do well vs Garnett. Garnett is tall, but doesn’t seem big and strong enough to take Roy. Pierce is getting to the point where he’s running out of guys he can defend. Lee/Terry/Bradley are undersized, hopefully that’s a bad thing vs next year’s Paul George. Neither Green nor Bass can defend West. I just don’t see Boston being able to defend the Pacers for 48 min.

Come playoff time, the Boston defense will make each game look like the NYK/IND games from the ‘90’s, but Indiana can score and Boston can’t, six games.
    Last edited by xIndyFan; 08-28-2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: forgot about Green :o

Default Re: IMO, the Pacer's can beat BOS this season.

Didn't they just bring back Jeff Green as well? He should give them a lift off the bench if he doesn't move past Bass in the starting lineup.
    I still agree with you though, the Pacers should be the better team this year.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

I guess I don't look at it in this way. I don't go into a season thinking which teams we can beat and which teams we cannot beat. There are way, way too many variables IMO to do it that way.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Banned

The Pacers can beat them in the regular season because Boston doesn't really give a crap about their regular season records but I don't see the Pacers beating them on the playoffs.

Rondo >> Hill
    Terry > PG
    Pierce> Danny
    Bass = West
    KG = Roy?

Their bench is also better.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers can beat them in the regular season because Boston doesn't really give a crap about their regular season records but I don't see the Pacers beating them on the playoffs.

Rondo >> Hill
    Terry > PG
    Pierce> Danny
    Bass = West
    KG = Roy?

I would more so tend to say:

Rondo > Hill
    Terry < PG
    Pierce > Danny
    Bass < West
    KG < Roy (Height, age, Hibbert's improvement)

Also I feel our bench is better than theirs.

I think we have a great chance to beat them out, but that doesn't mean we will. I do think we have the better team. Come playoff time they are an animal to deal with though. Pierce KG and Rondo all step up and play like superstars.

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    I would more so tend to say:

Rondo > Hill
    Terry < PG
    Pierce > Danny
    Bass < West
    KG < Roy (Height, age, Hibbert's improvement)

Also I feel our bench is better than theirs.

I think we have a great chance to beat them out, but that doesn't mean we will. I do think we have the better team. Come playoff time they are an animal to deal with though. Pierce KG and Rondo all step up and play like superstars.
    I'm assuming you mis-typed here lol

Sports Logo

Rondo >>>>>>>>>>>>> Hill
    Terry = PG
    Pierce > Danny
    Bass < West
    KG > Roy

fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

Rondo >> Hill
    Terry > PG
    Pierce> Danny
    Bass = West
    KG = Roy?

You got to be kidding me. Besides shooting the ball, theres nothing that Terry is better than PG in.

Personally I dont think the Celtics are going to be starting Terry. I would think Lee would start and Terry would come off the bench.

A Rondo - Terry back court if just too small, they would get torch
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

J7F

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    . . . A Rondo - Terry back court if just too small, they would get torch
    This seems to be the major problem with Boston this year. With the exception of Garnett, Pierce and Rondo, they really lack size. At least in the guys that are going to play.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I guess I don't look at it in this way. I don't go into a season thinking which teams we can beat and which teams we cannot beat. There are way, way too many variables IMO to do it that way.
    I disagree with a lot of what the original post said. Especially about Garnett. He shouldn't have any trouble guarding Roy. He's one of the best post defenders in the league. Their bench and their scoring were their major weaknesses last year and they've improved it greatly by adding Courtney Lee, Jeff Green, and Jason Terry. Rondo will still give the Pacers fits and Paul Pierce, when healthy, is still a great all-around player that draws a lot of fouls.

IMO, the Pacers match up very well against the Celtics because they aren't as good without Ray Allen. I think they could beat them in a 7-game series but the Celtics have the best player in Rondo and they have the Pacers beat in the experience department. Never underestimate the value of Championship experience.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Let's not forget this Bos team took the Heat to a 7 game series, and were a Lebron James classic game away from putting them away in 6. Yes they lost Ray Allen, but they added 2 players to take his place (C.Lee and J. Terry) while also getting back a very versatile cog in Jeff Green.

I disagree that they have a bunch of guys who can "fill in the blanks". Terry, Bass, Green and Lee are 4 players that are good role players who stick to what they do well. Bradley is out for some of the beginning of the season, but he gives them a MAJOR defensive presence in spite of his undersized frame. He's also able to score on fast breaks and back cuts.

KG gives any players he's guarding problems because 1. He's a very good defender, 2. He's earned the respect of the officials so he gets away with a lot (not a bad thing in my eyes) and 3. HE'S A VERY GOOD DEFENDER!. I don't think that's a good matchup AT ALL for Roy, though I think that if Roy can impose his size, it may wear KG out a little bit.

You're dead on the money with Paul Pierce. He's still pretty good offesnively, but he can't guard anyone anymore. He's reallllly slow out there. However, Doc Rivers is a good coach who has very good defensive principles, so PP defensive struggles is less of a liability than it would be on other teams. Also, the pacers don't have a wing player (cept maybe Gerald Green now) who can just impose their size/athleticism against Paul.

Rondo is going to give ANY team problems just because he's so good at getting his teammates the ball. He is the reason that KG and PP (and Ray Allen when he was in Boston) were able to maintain their efficiency offensively, because he gets them the ball in their spots.

So You're kind of looking at something like this (obviously opinions will vary)

Rondo > Hill
    C. Lee < Paul George
    PP = DG
    Bass < West
    KG = Roy.

Also Doc Rivers is one of the best coaches in the league, and that can't be discounted.

I think during the regular season the Pacers can beat Boston, and it not be much of a surprise. In the playoffs however, I definitely feel it'd be a physical 7-game series. I think we'd have to see what types of strides (if any) players like Hill, George, and Hibbert have made before we can fully decide whether or not we would be able to beat the Celtics in a playoff series.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

isn't this just a parody of the ATL thread?

edit: nvm it's the same guy... can we at least get proper grammar in thread titles? "the pacer's?"???

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post

edit: nvm it's the same guy... can we at least get proper grammar in thread titles? "the pacer's?"???
    sorry, didn't even notice. It's really sad when you get called out on your English grammar by an international.

Not trying to be rude, but I don't see the point in you posting this. I realize some of you old school posters are either too busy or too cool to post here anymore, but if that's the case, why waste your time making posts like this? Adding something to the conversation would be much more appreciated.

The way I see it is this:

Backcourt: Celtics (Rondo/Lee over Hill/George)
    Frontcourt: Push (Pierce/Bass/Garnett = Granger/West/Hibbert)
    Bench: Celtics (Terry/Green/Bradley/Wilcox over Augustin/Hansbrough/Green/Mahinmi)
    Coaching: Celtics (Rivers over Vogel)

I don't think they're big advantages for the Celtics, but that's why I see them being the 2nd best team in the East.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    The way I see it is this:

Backcourt: Celtics (Rondo/Lee over Hill/George)
    Frontcourt: Push (Pierce/Bass/Garnett = Granger/West/Hibbert)
    Bench: Celtics (Terry/Green/Bradley/Wilcox over Augustin/Hansbrough/Green/Mahinmi)
    Coaching: Celtics (Rivers over Vogel)

I don't think they're big advantages for the Celtics, but that's why I see them being the 2nd best team in the East.
    I think the bench could go either way, a lot may depend on chemistry. You think we are at least a candidate for 2nd in the East? I do.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    Not trying to be rude, but I don't see the point in you posting this. I realize some of you old school posters are either too busy or too cool to post here anymore, but if that's the case, why waste your time making posts like this? Adding something to the conversation would be much more appreciated.
    Because poor grammar is really annoying.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I don't necessrily disagree, and I'm sure I make plenty of unintended grammar mistakes, but why would someone who rarely posts anymore feel the need to pop in a thread just to chide someone's grammar? It seems kinda lame to me. I'd rather him post his opinion on the topic at hand and post more often for that matter. JMO

25. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I guess you don't live in Indiana.

I guess you don't live in Indiana.
    Nope but I did learn to read and write there.

I often rant about poor grammar, although I try to keep it to a minimum in part because I am the king of typos. But sometimes I even see things in my local Indiana paper (not the star) that make my head spin and make me wish I would have followed my original calling of being a local sportswriter!

Mood

Shouldn't you at least consider capitalizing the first letter of your sentences if you're going to harp on grammar?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    Shouldn't you at least consider capitalizing the first letter of your sentences if you're going to harp on grammar?
    yes, i realise the irony of my whining about grammar when i don't even capitalise my sentences.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I like Lee as a bench SG, but at Terry's age he and Lee are not Paul George caliber. His length will give their shooting fits.

Danny will be able to run with Pierce this year and definitely able to score on him as much as PP can the other way.

Roy/West vs KG/Green seems like a win overall for Indy because KG just can't make up the difference.

Rondo/Bradley will give Indy fits though, Hill will struggle with them and Bradley should be able to D-up DJ pretty well.

Gerald could be the difference maker from the bench, the 8 points that gives Indy a 5 pt win.

I have low expectations for Sully and don't get how much Boston fans can talk themselves into the next Sean May as being a steal, and that might not be fair to Sean's pre-injury production.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I like Lee as a bench SG, but at Terry's age he and Lee are not Paul George caliber. His length will give their shooting fits.

Danny will be able to run with Pierce this year and definitely able to score on him as much as PP can the other way.

Roy/West vs KG/Green seems like a win overall for Indy because KG just can't make up the difference.

Rondo/Bradley will give Indy fits though, Hill will struggle with them and Bradley should be able to D-up DJ pretty well.

Gerald could be the difference maker from the bench, the 8 points that gives Indy a 5 pt win.

I have low expectations for Sully and don't get how much Boston fans can talk themselves into the next Sean May as being a steal, and that might not be fair to Sean's pre-injury production.
    West trying to guard Green seems like a nightmare waiting to happen, you also forgot about Bass who is also a pretty good player.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I call making the "IMO, the Pacers can beat PHI this season" thread!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca