Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vontae Davis to Colts for 2nd Round Pick

Default Re: Vontae Davis to Colts for 2nd Round Pick

I don't think the Colts are done. I could see Freeney being moved, but time will tell.

Who's getting waived today?
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

It was supposed to be a huge trade, for a major player, that could be enormously important to the Colts franchise

and then,

It turned out to be a trade for a (currently) out-of-shape malcontent with major sobriety issues (drunk at practice?), who clearly had just lost out on earning the 3rd cornerback role on a pretty bad team where pretty much every roster spot was up for grabs based on preseason production and hard work.

It could work out, because he's young and had the requisite athletic ability when he in shape and was looking to get drafted.

But it is a risk, and the cost paid seems a bit high to me. Guys losing their starting spot generally don't have that high of a price tag. I thought the Falcons overpaid for Asante Samuel with a #3 pick, but at least he has no issues other than ego, and has some pro bowl production on his resume. Vontae Davis has done a whole lot less, at least while wearing pads.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Any time you can trade a top 60 pick for a corner back who may have shown up to practice drunk, you have to do it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any time you can trade a top 60 pick for a corner back who may have shown up to practice drunk, you have to do it.
    He may have been drunk but at least he showed up. Shows dedication and focus. Most drunks would just roll over and go back to sleep. As drunks go, it sounds like we got a good one.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh man, Blu must just be tripping all over himself to get in here and spoil this Vontae Davis love fest!

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    What I've heard is that he didn't show up to practice drunk, just smelling like one after a night of drinking. Not good but better than pounding whiskey in the morning before practice.

I'd be lying if I said there weren't days I showed up to work reeking of alcohol because of my previous evening's happenings.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    It turned out to be a trade for a (currently) out-of-shape malcontent with major sobriety issues (drunk at practice?), who clearly had just lost out on earning the 3rd cornerback role on a pretty bad team where pretty much every roster spot was up for grabs based on preseason production and hard work.
    By basically all accounts, he was going to be the starter in Miami. He'd already earned back the spot he "lost" due to his showing up to camp out of shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Miami Hearld 8/3/12
    Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/0...#storylink=cpy

Davis spent the summer running gassers with his brother Vernon, the standout tight end for the 49ers, and has new coach Joe Philbin pushing his motivational buttons. Philbin is having Davis split work with Richard Marshall early in camp, saying “there’s nothing locked in stone here. We want to look at other guys and create competition everywhere.”

Still, anyone but Davis starting at right corner on opening day would be a shock. After a rough 2011, he’s saying all the right things, both in person and in cyberspace.

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    What I've heard is that he didn't show up to practice drunk, just smelling like one after a night of drinking. Not good but better than pounding whiskey in the morning before practice.

I'd be lying if I said there weren't days I showed up to work reeking of alcohol because of my previous evening's happenings.
    This. I'm not defending him showing up smelling like booze, but he wasn't drunk, he was hungover. Clearly not good, but clearly not the same. Some Miami writer wrote Davis showed up to practice drunk yesterday, Kravitz and Richards and the rest of the local media read it and just ran with it.

McAfee got drunk and dove in the friggin canal wandering around Broad Ripple with his shirt off in the rain. And everyone thinks that's hilarious. Because it is.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 08-27-2012 at 01:36 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

You guys really think being hungover is enough to get you sent home from an NFL practice?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This. I'm not defending him showing up smelling like booze, but he wasn't drunk, he was hungover. Clearly not good, but clearly not the same. Some Miami writer wrote Davis showed up to practice drunk yesterday, Kravitz and Richards and the rest of the local media read it and just ran with it.

McAfee got drunk and dove in the friggin canal wandering around Broad Ripple with his shirt off in the rain. And everyone thinks that's hilarious. Because it is.
    At least he didn't kill anybody like the murderer Ray Lewis, which everybody seems to have forgotten about
    David "And One" West

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Mood

Hey, I dont have a problem giving up the picks. We have plenty of cap room next year to patch the holes thru free agency. And we desperately needed to upgrade our secondary. I think Davis is easily a top 10 CB in the league. And has the potential to be better. You have to do it. Our defense just got substantially better immediately. And like others have said, the chances of drafting a CB in the second round that will turn out as good as Davis has already proven on being is remarkably low.

By basically all accounts, he was going to be the starter in Miami. He'd already earned back the spot he "lost" due to his showing up to camp out of shape.
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

Davis has fallen out of favor with the current coaching staff, losing his starting job at the beginning of training camp when he was out of shape, and he's failed to regain it since.

(snip)

Obviously, the Dolphins believe they know something about Davis that the Colts do not. Davis, as we said previously, has had issues with off-field maturity. He was suspended for a game last year when he showed up late and hung over to a walk-thru practice. He was suspended from starting one game in 2010 for breaking unspecified team rules. And, obvously, he was out of shape early this camp.
    So that means it's been an ongoing 3-year problem, not just one especially bad hangover
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo

And this is why a 24 year old potential shut down corner (he's NOT near that right now) is on the market in the firs tplace.

The very same paper that would be "shocked" if anyone else was starting also reporting that the GM wouldn't even consider moving him for anything less than a two and change. I think it's pretty safe that if he wasn't traded he would have been starting.

So that means it's been an ongoing 3-year problem, not just one especially bad hangover
    He's obviously not without his flaws. Teams don't move players who are perfect citizens with his immense physical attributes and previous on field success. You also don't get the chance to draft those guys in the second round.

And his "3 year problem" is pretty low on the totem pole of NFL issues. He's never been arrested. Immature? Sure. He also came into the league at 20 and despite those issues was on the All-Rookie team and generally considered a top-25ish CB with the potential to get considerably better should he get his head on straight. Obviously, we're betting that he will. If he doesn't, he's still at worst our 2nd best CB and the gap to 3rd is enormous.

He, like his brother, was a combine freak. Hopefully, he'll have a similar career arc in that he can go from being a productive player his first few years who was able to parlay his physical gifts into stardom with an increased maturity level.

If there are any 24 year old corners who measure out at 6'0", 201 lbs, with a 4.49 40-yd dash and can put up 25 reps of 225, in this year's draft, he's going to get picked long before our 2nd selection if he isn't already a convicted felon.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 08-27-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: *** Or what my meth cooking friend said. I should type faster. ***

-Lance Stephenson

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    He may have been drunk but at least he showed up. Shows dedication and focus. Most drunks would just roll over and go back to sleep. As drunks go, it sounds like we got a good one.

And his "3 year problem" is pretty low on the totem pole of NFL issues.
    I would imagine that the list of players who have done all of three things in 3 years is pretty short:

-suspended for breaking unspecified team rules.
    -suspended AGAIN for consistent tardiness and for practicing while impaired
    -showed up to camp so out of shape he couldn't play in preseason games

Sure, he may be no Pacman Jones, and certainly some hall-of-fame talent can even be high maintenance (Michael Irvin, Lawrence Taylor, Randy Moss). But how many previous "issues" did it even take for him to get suspended? Sparano was not exactly known as a taskmaster. If anything, he let the players do what they wanted.

I suspect that this was a Ron Artest-like situation. Headache after headache after headache after headache, and news of only 10% of it ever left the facility, where today the management is wearing party hats, exchanging high-fives, and eating cake.

It was supposed to be a huge trade, for a major player, that could be enormously important to the Colts franchise

and then,

It could work out, because he's young and had the requisite athletic ability when he in shape and was looking to get drafted.

But it is a risk, and the cost paid seems a bit high to me. Guys losing their starting spot generally don't have that high of a price tag. I thought the Falcons overpaid for Asante Samuel with a #3 pick, but at least he has no issues other than ego, and has some pro bowl production on his resume. Vontae Davis has done a whole lot less, at least while wearing pads.
    Slick you have to see the bolded part above for what it is,, simply team discipline. Is it alot to give up for a player of his talent? Sure but its only a lot in the form of picks because he's paid around 1 million to be a starting CB.

As far as Asante Samuel goes he was traded for a 7th and the man reason why he was traded is that he was no longer happy in Philly and he was owed 21 million in 2 years.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Slick you have to see the bolded part above for what it is,, simply team discipline. Is it alot to give up for a player of his talent? Sure but its only a lot in the form of picks because he's paid around 1 million to be a starting CB.

As far as Asante Samuel goes he was traded for a 7th and the man reason why he was traded is that he was no longer happy in Philly and he was owed 21 million in 2 years.
    Plus Asnte isnt really that good anymore he had lost 5 steps if the Pats would of traded him in his prime when he was 25 or 26 he would of fetched that much. I was actually shocked the Facclons traded for him really a waste of money unless he took a massive pay cut. Teams don't ever trade 24 year old guys with Vonte's talents very often. For a lockdown corner a 2 is a steal. Like I said earlier 50% of 2s are out of the league in 4 years. Use him like the Jets use Revis he will be a steal just use him 1v1 no other assignments. Brush is 100% right a Vonte level talent won't be there in the 40s unless Janoris Jenkins has a brother

Sports Logo

Dude was completely dumbfounded on Hard Knocks, look of complete disbelief. Then he wanted to call his grandma.

Dude was completely dumbfounded on Hard Knocks, look of complete disbelief. Then he wanted to call his grandma.
    I don't understand why several people have made a big joke about him calling the woman who raised him to inform her that he will no longer be where she knows he currently is. I doubt that anyone's grandma watches Hard Knocks much. You know how seniors are with the whole "early to bed, early to rise" thing.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    I don't understand why several people have made a big joke about him calling the woman who raised him to inform her that he will no longer be where she knows he currently is. I doubt that anyone's grandma watches Hard Knocks much. You know how seniors are with the whole "early to bed, early to rise" thing.
    I wasn't making a joke about it, I loved my grandma too, I'd have called her within minutes of leaving the room. But after leaving the room. It's obvious there's a discussion to be had with the GM and he wanted to get on the phone with his grandma before that. I'm not killing him for it, just illustrates the man child he has the rep for being.

Sounds like he's pretty good
    Smothered Chicken!

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here's the Hard Knocks footage of his trade, you can tell he was stunned/emotional:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrZgClpmDtM

Here's a video from a year ago that might explain the grandma-comment --- at the :40 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5obG...eature=related
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.