Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DJ Augustin Playing Time

Default DJ Augustin Playing Time

Do you guys expect Augustin to play starter minutes for the Pacers? I hope he does. He has improved his passing ability and if he understands his role on the Pacers well he could develop into a very good Point Guard. I do not care who starts the games, but I hope to see Augustin on the floor with some of the starters often this year! On the worst team in the NBA he averaged 6.4 APG in 29.3 MPG. So I am hoping we give him similar minutes with better players (His shooting % should also go up this way). In the East only Rondo, Calderon, D.Williams, and John Wall averaged more assists than Augustin last year.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:

J7F

Default Re: DJ Augustin Playing Time

As much as I love George Hill, I believe the roles should be reversed, with GH playing starters minutes meshed with both units, and DJ as the starter..
    I believe DJ will absolutely THRIVE here in Indy, and that he is the answer to what we need in a pure point ..
    The thing I worry about, is that he is gonna play out of his mind this season and some other team is gonna come in and make him such an offer, that we will have to let him walk...

While on one hand , his 1 year contract made sense.... but on the flipside they very well could have screwed themselves by not putting a team option on his contract..At least I don't think they did,but I could be mistaken........

All I know, is that DJ is gonna play awesome for us, and I pray that we will somehow have the ability to keep him on this team with a reasonable multi-year contract.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

my hope is that he plays well enough, meshes with the core Players while helping us get to the ECF that it convinces the Simons to make a good contract offer next season....even if it approaches the LT.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Kemo, I agree with you on what GH's role should be on the Team. If anything....I can totally see a smaller rotation of DJ/GH/Granger/West/Hibbrt lineup closing out games. In the right situation and match up.... I like the ball movement and scoring in that lineup.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A lot of people were mad about the way we got rid of DC, and though I'm sad to see him go..it will be nice to have a "true" PG on our team. I feel his play style (distributor who likes to shoot the 3 ball) fills a role that this team hasn't had.

One has to consider the fact that DJ is rather short, and would be much of the same defensive liability that DC was. So it would depend on whether or not his offensive contributions to the starting lineup would be worth the lack of defense within the starting lineup (2 of our 5 starters would then be below average defensively)

All in all it's definitely a good problem to have two players that are capable to start at the PG position. I would believe that if DJ showed that he was a better option to start, GH has shown that he is more than willing to come off the bench and play the spark/6th man role rather well.

As we hear when it comes to players like Jason Terry, Manu Ginobili, etc...it doesn't matter who starts, but who finishes games.

As a poster said before, I definitely see a lineup that includes some sort of a combination of DJ, GH, PG/DG, DG/DW, DW/RH---depending on matchups of course.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

no, I do not expect DJ to play starter minutes. I expect him to be the backup point. No more and no less. IMO, DJ is a temporary player. Unless something special happens, he will be gone next season and someone else will be the backup PG.

For all that DJ brings to the table, the fact remains he is too short and too gawd awful a defender to be a 30 mpg player. at least here in Indiana. Vogel has said over and over that he is looking for guys that can score and defend their position. That metric leaves DJ in the part time role player mode. I see DJ's role as similar to Tyler or Leandro's. A guy that can score, but is a liability on the defensive end.

fwiw, Pacers seem to have 6 guys that currently fit the score and defend their position metric. Hill, Paul, Danny, David, Roy and Gerald Green. The jury is still out on Ian Mahinmi. and who knows about OJ, Lance, Miles and OJ.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

If Augustin is having a great season and Lance is playing pretty well as well, I honestly expect to see Augustin shipped out around the trade deadline in a deal that hopefully lands an upgrade at one of the starting positions.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I think he'll get close to starter minutes. I also think he needs to show he can play some defense if he wants to keep those minutes.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    If Augustin is having a great season and Lance is playing pretty well as well, I honestly expect to see Augustin shipped out around the trade deadline in a deal that hopefully lands an upgrade at one of the starting positions.
    Heck, I'm hoping Tyler comes out strong and both could be traded for someone of value/picks.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    i agree. I do expect Lance to get another look at backup SG and PG. Be interesting to see what's different about this year vs last. big hopes for lance and paul. time for them to start showing up come game time.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Hill got 25 mpg last year. I expect DJ to be just under that. We all should expect him and Hill out there in the early going of the season.

If Danny is the last starter off the court we could see a lineup of:
    DJ
    Green
    Danny
    Tyler
    Ian

I hope that it isn't that same rotational philosophy, given that it killed us against the Heat. But Vogel has yet to change that. He uses his bench a lot. And all at the same time.

I would like to see this rotation close the first quarter:
    DJ
    Hill
    Greene
    Danny
    Ian
    Start of the 2nd
    DJ
    PG
    Greene
    Tyler
    Ian

8 minute mark
    DJ
    PG
    Greene
    Ian
    Hibbert

And then bring Danny and Hill in sometime from 8 to 6 minutes to play the rest of the quarter. I say we throw PG out there with other capable scorers.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    . . . I hope that it isn't that same rotational philosophy, given that it killed us against the Heat. But Vogel has yet to change that. He uses his bench a lot. And all at the same time. . .
    Be interesting to see how things change this year. i.e. during a regular 82 game season. I thought a lot of things done last year were 'condensed schedule' adjustments. plus all the kids are a year older and presumably a year wiser. so things will be looser. I'm cool with however Frank does it as long as he ends up with at least 8 guys that can play.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

I hope he is good enough to be a long term answer at starting PG, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I hope he is good enough to be a long term answer at starting PG, but I'm not holding my breath for it.
    Not trying to sound like a dick, but hasn't he more than proved that he's not an answer at starting point guard? People here pissed and moaned about DC's defense, and Augustin is every bit as bad if not worse on that end of the court. His only true plus skill is passing. He was an integral part of the worst team in NBA history last season. The guy is a backup point guard. He's paid like a backup point guard, he plays like a backup point guard. It is what it is.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Not trying to sound like a dick, but hasn't he more than proved that he's not an answer at starting point guard? People here pissed and moaned about DC's defense, and Augustin is every bit as bad if not worse on that end of the court. His only true plus skill is passing. He was an integral part of the worst team in NBA history last season. The guy is a backup point guard. He's paid like a backup point guard, he plays like a backup point guard. It is what it is.
    I don't know, I haven't seen him play since college.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I don't know, I haven't seen him play since college.
    He's going to be good for what we got him for, but I wouldn't expect much more. I actually think he's a better fit for this team than DC was, mainly because he is a table setter. Not exactly an original statement, as I have seen it in multiple stories and columns, but it's worth noting. He will look better around a team that actually has some talent and an established identity.

Mood

Sports Logo

I think that DJ will get a lot of playing time. I think he'll come out and average double-digit assists, just because he has much better talent on this team than what he was leading in Charlotte. I don't think he'll get the nod to start over George Hill, unless Hill is switched to start at the 2 (and thus, Paul George at the 3).* But I think he'll get a lot of good minutes, he'll run the floor like a general, he'll get dozens of assists, he'll throw lobs and alley-oops all day, and he'll just flat-out dominate at the top of his potential.

Defensively, yeh, we're kind of ****ed when it comes to DJ. But Steve Nash has been dominating the point guard position without defense for years now. As long as Hill/PG/DG can compensate for DJ's defense, we'll be fine.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Given the lack of talent, questionable GM, and shoddy drafting idk if it's completely fair to gage DJ's worth in the NBA. The fact that he was able to average 6 assists on THAT team shows that he has good-really good passing skills (we already know that)

I'm not saying DJ will be a star or anything by any means, and yea he's as much of a defensive liability as DC..but I question whether ANYBODY would be able to thrive at the PG position on the Bobcats (especially a pass first PG) I think this season will show his ceiling/value as a player in this league.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Mood

I could see DJ play 20-25 minutes per game depending on the situation/match ups and if he can play well alongside Hill if he would shift to the 2 spot to give PG rest. I am not gonna predict double digit assists but I think his numbers will improve over his playing in Charlotte due to the talent level we have. I liked the kid coming out of college and I think he will fit in well on our second unit.

He will play 20-25 minutes a night... We are fine with George Hill as our PG because of our offensive system.. It's not meant for the point guard to create and then KICK to the open man.. they are taught to pass the ball 50 times to find the open man.. That's why no point guard on the Pacers will ever average 10 assists or even close to that... Darren Collison was a way better offensive point guard than he was allowed to show.. I have a feeling DJ will fall into that same category..

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Jayday00 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

You have to wonder about other teams playing defense against DJ when he played for the Bobcats. Will the defense on him (with the Pacers) be more or less intense in comparison? Did defenders play harder to prove they can blow out the Bobcats? Or were they less intimidated, and thus, played more lackadaisically? I know it's kind of a loaded (or ********) question. But will DJ be able to work with defenders who are playing with a chip on their shoulder because they "hate" the Pacers? Or will they be more inclined to play heavily against the rest of the team because of the threat provided by our anyone-can-score offensive mentality?

Just some thoughts off the top of my head. I agree that DJ and Hill will most likely split the 48 minutes at point guard right down the middle (or so), meaning 20-25, as others are saying. Between the two of them, there really shouldn't be anyone else playing point guard instead of them (Lance? no. OJ? nooo.). Of course, we don't know how well either of them are playing and working together with the rest of the team in practices and such. I can only hope that we'll soon be able to see some evidence of how well our team is meshing.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    Be interesting to see how things change this year. i.e. during a regular 82 game season. I thought a lot of things done last year were 'condensed schedule' adjustments. plus all the kids are a year older and presumably a year wiser. so things will be looser. I'm cool with however Frank does it as long as he ends up with at least 8 guys that can play.
    The line change happened when he took over, all last year, and even in the playoffs. This was not a condensed schedule adjustment. It is his method. He is a players coach, and this is a symptom of that.

I would expect Hill to start and Augustin to be the firs to come off the bench and replace George and Hill to move to SG.

I would like to raise Augustin's value, then hopefully trade him away around the trade deadline.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    The line change happened when he took over, all last year, and even in the playoffs. This was not a condensed schedule adjustment. It is his method. He is a players coach, and this is a symptom of that.
    you may be right.

but there are definite differences between the last two seasons and the next one. Taking over in the middle of the season, a team full of young and/or untalented players, followed by the condensed season, and taking that as vogel's method is over thinking things, IMO. Coach's methods are dependent on team makeup, i think. Next season the pacers have more talent and more experience and more practice time. I would expect the coaching methods to be correspondingly more complex.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    you may be right.

but there are definite differences between the last two seasons and the next one. Taking over in the middle of the season, a team full of young and/or untalented players, followed by the condensed season, and taking that as vogel's method is over thinking things, IMO. Coach's methods are dependent on team makeup, i think. Next season the pacers have more talent and more experience and more practice time. I would expect the coaching methods to be correspondingly more complex.
    I hope you are right. I want a 8 man rotation come playoff time. Yes we have more talent on the bench. But last year it was pitched that we have a deep team. Well the leadership believed that with the line changes and stiff rotations in the playoffs.

I would think that a pro coach will adjust, and shorten rotations. But we have not seen that. Doesn't mean it won't happen. It is something to watch as the season progresses.