Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacers looking to trade Danny?

Default Re: Pacers looking to trade Danny?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't get me started. I'll bump post game threads, don't think I won't.
    Where's Shade? Shade!? Shade!? Shade!?
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Pacer Fan - I actually agree with your post for the most part. I think I confused some with the way I added a few extra names. What I was attempting to convey is that most teams in the NBA actually do have a franchise player better than Danny. I listed a few extra names like Deng, unfortunately, and that led some to think I placed him in the top tier. I tried to clarify, but apparently failed to do that. Anyway, I would say that Derrick Rose is still the better player unless he comes back a different player. I will give him that. Also, as much as I hate to say it, Carmello is significantly better than Granger. Bynum is better as well. Bosh is arguably better. JMHO.
    Yea, I understood where you was going with that, I just thought what you had posted puts true perspective of Danny's value as well. I have to say that I think Danny stacks up to Bynum and Bosh in a positional category. I think all 3 are in the upper tier of their position. As for Mello, he is better without a doubt, but wrong or right, I am one to think Danny is the better bang for the buck and as the Pacers will prolly never spend like NY is all the more reason to think this way. As I noted in my categories, I valued some players lower due to their bad contracts per production. If Rondo was getting 16 + mil, I would have not put him in the elite category, but at 11 mil per, wow, he is a steal.
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 08-26-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Lot of you are really underestimating Granger here. Even some saying he isn't even the best player on the Pacers? Who is a better player on this team? Hibbert? He can't play more than 30 Min. He disappeared in the 2 series had major match up advantages. David West? I wiil grant that West was a very good player for us, but realistically he did exactly what he was brought here to do, take pressure off Danny Granger. West was very efficient, but he wasn't being run as a #1 option either. #! options players are just not very efficient. Like it or not Danny Granger is the best player on this team. The only proof you need is the epic collapse this team suffered when Granger hurt his ankle against Miami.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Lot of you are really underestimating Granger here. Even some saying he isn't even the best player on the Pacers? Who is a better player on this team? Hibbert? He can't play more than 30 Min. He disappeared in the 2 series had major match up advantages. David West? I wiil grant that West was a very good player for us, but realistically he did exactly what he was brought here to do, take pressure off Danny Granger. West was very efficient, but he wasn't being run as a #1 option either. #! options players are just not very efficient. Like it or not Danny Granger is the best player on this team. The only proof you need is the epic collapse this team suffered when Granger hurt his ankle against Miami.
    I don't disagree that people are underrating Danny, we've seen every game of his for 7 years or whatever it's bound to happen, but West is the best player on the team. Guys forget, discount, whatever, that he was coming off a major knee injury. Then he got healthy(ier) and became extremely efficient, look at his April #s. West should be our go to guy from day one next year.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I don't disagree that people are underrating Danny, we've seen every game of his for 7 years or whatever it's bound to happen, but West is the best player on the team. Guys forget, discount, whatever, that he was coming off a major knee injury. Then he got healthy(ier) and became extremely efficient, look at his April #s. West should be our go to guy from day one next year.
    West may be our best offensive player (I am not even 100% sure about that but for arguments sake let's just say he is) but there is just no way he can be considered our best overall player due to the fact that he is a liabilty on defense. Very poor lateral movement & virtually no leaping ability.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    West may be our best offensive player (I am not even 100% sure about that but for arguments sake let's just say he is) but there is just no way he can be considered our best overall player due to the fact that he is a liabilty on defense. Very poor lateral movement & virtually no leaping ability.
    I would actually agree with the statement "David West is the most important player on the team". Roy's improvement is partly credited to the fact that he has West on the floor. And with that his vocal leadership has been lacking since............Seriously when? Is David West the best vocal leader since Mark Jackson?

So while I agree that West is not the most skilled or diverse player. He is crucial to the success of the Pacers this season. Far more crucial than any other Pacer IMO.

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Try taking Roy off this team and see what it does to our defense. I hope you all know it would be a layup and-one drill if it weren't for him. Defense is half of this game guys.

We have guys like West, Hibbert, George and Hill to shoot. None are good as Danny, but without Hibbert on defense we are really, really exposed. Tyler and DWest are not stopping anybody.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Banned

A guy that averages 12 and 6 and plays no D is the Pacers best player? Lol.

Banned

Hibbert is the Pacers best player and the most important one.

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Haha, that's a pretty funny list.

I can't get over how bad that is. I mean if you were to compare Danny's peers in both JJ and Deng, it'd be hard looking at the numbers to come up with any other conclusion that Danny is better than both. He's an equal defender (actually JJ is a pretty damn good defender at times, so hard to answer that one completely) and he's a better more efficient scorer than both. No really.
    This is why it's pointless debating with mattie. Joe was an all star who had one of his best offensive seasons. His stats beat Danny's across the board. No reasonable person can look at these numbers and come to the conclusion that Joe had a worse year offensively, but somehow mattie does. He thinks he can just cherry pick a few of his favorite advanced stats (PER, ORtg, etc.) and with them prove without a doubt Danny was better. It makes absolutely no sense. There's more to the game then a few of his favorite statistics. It's annoying enough that he thinks his stats carry so much more weight then others, but then he goes on telling us that if we read the stats differently or have differing opinions than his, we're the dumbasses that don't understand the game. Kinda ironic don't cha think?

Here are some stats you should use to compare their offensive production long before Mattie's Fave Three.

usg% - Danny 25.9% / Joe 24.9%
    FGA - Danny 16.4 / Joe 15.8
    FG% - Danny .416 / Joe .454
    3P% - Danny .381 / Joe .388
    AST - Danny 1.9 / Joe 3.9
    AST% - Danny 9.7% / Joe 19.7%
    TOV% - Danny 9.3% / Joe 10.3%
    TS% - Danny .542 / Joe .557
    EFG% - Danny .481 / Joe .521 (EFG% > TS% imo but Joe still beats danny in both)

Sooo... who do you think's was the better offensive player last year, Joe or Danny?
    Last edited by CJ Jones; 08-26-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Hibbert is the Pacers best player and the most important one.

If Hibbert was the best player then he would have stepped it up once Granger went out in game 5 vs the Heat. Same with West. They are important players, but they are not the best players on this team. Nobody stepped it up, the entire team collapsed and got blown out.

Banned

If Hibbert was the best player then he would have stepped it up once Granger went out in game 5 vs the Heat. Same with West. They are important players, but they are not the best players on this team. Nobody stepped it up, the entire team collapsed and got blown out.
    The team was getting blown out with or without Danny, Lebron and Wade were playing out of their minds.

Take a look at Danny's playoff stats... they're beyond terrible. Of course LeBron guarded him, but nearly half the games he had Turk or Q Rich guarding him. I honestly didn't realize how bad he played until I looked a few weeks after the season.

IMO Hibbert's the best overall player, and West is the most important player offensively. I expect big numbers from West this year as long as he can get the minutes and shots. He should be healthier, and I think the PG combination of Hill/DJ will be better for him than the Collison/Hill combo was.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    Take a look at Danny's playoff stats... they're beyond terrible. Of course LeBron guarded him, but nearly half the games he had Turk or Q Rich guarding him. I honestly didn't realize how bad he played until I looked a few weeks after the season.

IMO Hibbert's the best overall player, and West is the most important player offensively. I expect big numbers from West this year as long as he can get the minutes and shots. He should be healthier, and I think the PG combination of Hill/DJ will be better for him than the Collison/Hill combo was.
    Look at Joe Johnson's playoff stats, they're even worse and he faced a much favorable matchup offensively.

1st round of the playoffs DG averaged 21ppg. Yeah that's so terrible.

Joe Johnson? 17.2

Now overall their playoff averages were the same at just above 17ppg. But Danny absolutely struggled with Bron guarding him.

Also let's not forget, DG had finally found his rhythm in March and April last year. He was playing some of his best ball until that ankle injury hit him. Though he scored well in that ORL series, I thought he had lost the rhythm he was playing at previously.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 08-26-2012 at 11:23 AM.

The team was getting blown out with or without Danny, Lebron and Wade were playing out of their minds.
    We only got blown out in one game though. Every other game was close throughout

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This is why it's pointless debating with mattie. Joe was an all star who had one of his best offensive seasons. His stats beat Danny's across the board. No reasonable person can look at these numbers and come to the conclusion that Joe had a worse year offensively, but somehow mattie does. He thinks he can just cherry pick a few of his favorite advanced stats (PER, ORtg, etc.) and with them prove without a doubt Danny was better. It makes absolutely no sense. There's more to the game then a few of his favorite statistics. It's annoying enough that he thinks his stats carry so much more weight then others, but then he goes on telling us that if we read the stats differently or have differing opinions than his, we're the dumbasses that don't understand the game. Kinda ironic don't cha think?

Here are some stats you should use to compare their offensive production long before Mattie's Fave Three.

usg% - Danny 25.9% / Joe 24.9%
    FGA - Danny 16.4 / Joe 15.8
    FG% - Danny .416 / Joe .454
    3P% - Danny .381 / Joe .388
    AST - Danny 1.9 / Joe 3.9
    AST% - Danny 9.7% / Joe 19.7%
    TOV% - Danny 9.3% / Joe 10.3%
    TS% - Danny .542 / Joe .557
    EFG% - Danny .481 / Joe .521 (EFG% > TS% imo but Joe still beats danny in both)

Sooo... who do you think's was the better offensive player last year, Joe or Danny?
    Of course Joe had a better season last year. Joe probably had his second best season ever last year. But over their entire career, Danny has been a more efficient scorer.

If Joe is able to continue his production from last year than I would agree he's a better player but I highly doubt it. Next year we'll see Joe score his 18 at around a 51TS%. But you are right there is no doubt Joe was the better player last year.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Mood

Sports Logo

Continually for the record, I'd like to see Granger really step it up this season, as well as everyone else. But if a high-quality trade can be made, I think we should make it. I get this sinking feeling that Granger is holding back the rest of the team, and the last thing we need is an anchor.

For the off-topic discussions occurring, Granger may be our highest scorer, but I think we've reached the point that he's not our best player any longer. That title and responsibility has fallen onto Roy's very large shoulders. Granger could still be the best player on several teams, but even in a hypothetical (with no implication) Granger-for-Gordon situation, people would still consider Anthony Davis the best player on the team, and the number one option.

As far as "anyone can make up Danny's 18ppg" argument, this is actually a good call. I think, with the potential improvement by Roy, George, Paul, Lance, and additions of Gerald Green and DJ Augustin (and whomever we get in return for Danny), they could potentially make up for the losses of Dahntay, DC, Barbosa, and (in this scenario) Danny, as far as points-per-game averages go. That might be a stretch, but it could work.

Whatever happens, happens. Maybe it will work out. If it doesn't, then we're wrong, and there's nothing we can do about it. I'd like to see what happens, though.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:

Just to add on:

The reason why I don't take the latest season as who Joe is as a player is out of his 13 seasons in the NBA, he's had 3 random seasons where he shot over .55 TS% (which is average really). Danny has shot over .55TS% 5 out of his 7 seasons in the NBA. I fully expect Danny to shoot around .55 TS% which is ok, (though he should be much better than that as good a shooter as he is) while Joe will regress to the mean.

There is no doubt someone who has shot .564 for his career is a more efficient scorer than someone who has shot a below average .529 for his career.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Absolutely not true, quit talking out of your pie hole. It was a 3 pt game when Granger got hurt with about 4 minutes left in the half. The team got absolutely demoralized after Lebron undercut him. They all collectively **** their pants at the same time.

Banned

"The team got demoralized"

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Look at Joe Johnson's playoff stats, they're even worse and he faced a much favorable matchup offensively.

1st round of the playoffs DG averaged 21ppg. Yeah that's so terrible.

Joe Johnson? 17.2
    How is facing Pierce, Pietrus and the Boston D a more favorable 1st round matchup then facing a Dwightless Orlando D?

Looking at the game logs it looks like Danny played well in 2 of the 5 games. Danny's poor play in game 1 was arguably the main reason we lost that game. If Danny played anywhere close to how he played in the first round of the Bulls series in 2011 we'd have swept them with ease.

Then he decides to not even show up for a very winnable game 1 in Miami...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Of course Joe had a better season last year. Joe probably had his second best season ever last year. But over their entire career, Danny has been a more efficient scorer.
    Okay i'll give you that, but you can't just dismiss the fact that Joe's twice the playmaker and ten times the ball handler.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post

For the off-topic discussions occurring, Granger may be our highest scorer, but I think we've reached the point that he's not our best player any longer. That title and responsibility has fallen onto Roy's very large shoulders. Granger could still be the best player on several teams, but even in a hypothetical (with no implication) Granger-for-Gordon situation, people would still consider Anthony Davis the best player on the team, and the number one option.

As far as "anyone can make up Danny's 18ppg" argument, this is actually a good call. I think, with the potential improvement by Roy, George, Paul, Lance, and additions of Gerald Green and DJ Augustin (and whomever we get in return for Danny), they could potentially make up for the losses of Dahntay, DC, Barbosa, and (in this scenario) Danny, as far as points-per-game averages go. That might be a stretch, but it could work.
    I don't think Davis will ever be a number 1 option on any team. Thats just not in his game.

2nd, this whole anybody could replace Danny's 18 per game is the most ridiculous idea that has been repeated over and over in this thread. It needs to stop. To score 18+ a game and be on a team with the 5th best record in the league, you have to be good. People say Granger needs to step it up because he once scored 25 per game on a really bad team, s0 should be able to replicate that performance if he was really good. That line of thinking is narrowmind. When Granger averaged 25 per game, Hibbert only averaged 7, guys like David West were only a pipe dream, we had a terrible offense. We now have a pretty decent offense where any of our 5 starters can get us 20+ a game on any given night. So Granger gets his balls busted around here because he isn't averaging +25 while all these other players on the team are talking a ton more shots then they used to. For Granger to average 24-25 per game he would need to take 6 more shots per game on average. If he took 6 more shots per game on average you would all call him a terrible ball hog. In his all-star year he took 19 per game to average 25. The year before his allstar game he took 15 to average 19pts. Last year he took 15 to average 18.7.

Granger has been very consistent in terms of shot attempts and production. Yet you all say he is on the downslide. It just not true.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Personally, I like having long wings on defense....Granger is going to be around for a while, unless Indiana is given a no-brainer trade. Everyone knows how often those occur.

As a side note, we shouldn't be that caught up in individual stats. Indiana is built to be and plays like a TEAM.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 08-26-2012 at 01:44 PM.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

"The team got demoralized"
    Which means you haven't got a leg to stand on in this argument anymore.