Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacers looking to trade Danny?

Default Re: Pacers looking to trade Danny?

Thanks Martin Knezevic
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

I actually think there's some truth to this. I think Donnie and KP will be different from Bird in that they won't hesitate to make trades. If Bird was still in charge, I don't see any way Granger would be traded unless we'd get a Dwight Howard-caliber player in return.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paul George is a 22 year old pro with 2 years of the highest level of professional basketball player under his belt. And he still can't dribble. I have no doubt he'll improve his handle. But I don't think it'll ever be to the point that you can rely on him as a break a guy down off the dribble and make something happen guy.

If you want me to be honest I think now's the time to trade PG and his "superstar potential." I don't see the top end most Pacers fans (want to) do. I just don't think he's as special as most of us want to think. Strong ball penetration stopper that can get out and run, knock down an open jumper, and do nothing with the ball in his hands. That's a quality player, but it's not a face of a franchise.
    Has it gotten to the point in the league where a player is who he is at the age of 22? Like you, I don't think PG will ever be an elite ball handler, but you don't have to be in order to get to the basket. And it's not like PG can't dribble PERIOD. It's not like defenders are just ripping him everytime he attempts to make a dribble move. He has the ability to make moves and get to the basket. He honestly gets to the basket pretty well, he just needs to work on finishing harder at the rim, or drawing a foul.

The player you described is more of a Trevor Ariza type of guy, and PG is pretty much already as good as him. No I don't think he'll ever be a superstar. But if DG can score 20 ppg for most of his career, then I dont see why PG, who is easily more naturally talented than Danny ever was, couldn't do so as well

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

"The Pacers have a lot of things they can accomplish with Grangerís money. The team still needs to improve their depth on the frontline to tangle with the rim-attacking Heat and the new Bynum-led Sixers. Power forward David West is on the decline (and will be a free agent next summer) while Tyler Hansbrough and Miles Plumlee are merely a step up from Jeff Pendergraph. Indiana lost Darren Collison this summer and replaced him withÖD.J. Augustin, hardly an upgrade. Then they lost Leandro Barbosa while netting the mercurial Gerald Green. Other than keeping Hibbert, itís been a very average summer in Indiana as they hope to grow from within. I agree, but you still need depth to get through an 82-game season and deep into the playoffs."

Considering what our F.O. did with the cap space we had this year, I don't want them freeing up anymore cap space.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    management will actively look to move Granger this upcoming season if not next offseason.

OK that is from the first paragraph of the blog. What upcoming off season. We are right in the kiddle of this offseason, so does he mean next year or this year.

After reading his first paragraph, I stopped reading
    He said upcoming season if not next offseason. Meaning either during the year or after. Odd way of saying it but not incorrect.

Maybe you should read it again.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

If they do, I hope they trade him for an athletic defender/rebounder PF to place David West with once he leaves.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    If they do, I hope they trade him for an athletic defender/rebounder PF to place David West with once he leaves.
    What PF blossoms this year to make said trade? Does Marrese Speights make the jump. Is a trade up to get Cody Zeller happen? What player really is a step up from Ian and is not high enough to trade Danny for?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Jmo...Danny for EJ or ya gotta keep Danny. Can't trade PG cause his rookie contract. Would be totally wacky to trade PG.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Trading Granger makes sense, but not this season at least.

If PG grows anymore, there is no way he can stick at sg. Granger has been working on his handles every off season, and look how far he's come...not very. I think PG has a chance to have better handles than Granger, but he'll never be able to consistently get his own shot with dribble moves. I think you have to move him to SF eventually.

Again, I could see Granger getting moved, but only if it helps the team. However, who's going to give up someone really good for Granger? I'm not really seeing it. So while I can see Granger getting moved, I really believe he'll remain a Pacers. Hopefully, if he's retained after next season, he'll take a significant pay cut to stay with the Pacers.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Jmo...Danny for EJ or ya gotta keep Danny. Can't trade PG cause his rookie contract. Would be totally wacky to trade PG.
    Yeah, pretty much. What else would you get for Granger? Honestly? I have no clue, but I don't see another team trading really good players for him. Maybe the Pacers could get lucky and he could be traded for Enes Kantor, Jan Vesley or Derrick Favors. It'd have to be young talent that haven't reached their peak yet.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    If the team believes for George to reach his potential he needs Danny out of the way then the blog makes sense.
    I think the deal is that the blog makes sense IF George was well on his way to reaching his potential. Right now though, George remains just that... a very athletic player with potential.

If George does not begin making some headway toward reaching that potential on a much more consistent basis, then I believe there is a greater chance that the Pacers sell the hype of his potential to another team and trade George.

The point is that, just playing the odds, you don't trade your best player, even though he is stretching you salary-wise, just because you have another player that is showing some potential at the same position.

I think the odds would probably bear out that you find yourself 2 years down the road with your best player gone and suffering major regret from putting all your eggs into one basket (George).

To me, George needs to walk the walk from the first game all the way up to the trade deadline in order for Granger to be traded this season. Otherwise, trading Granger could prove to be a major, major mistake.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    I think the odds would probably bear out that you find yourself 2 years down the road with your best player gone and suffering major regret from putting all your eggs into one basket (George).

To me, George needs to walk the walk from the first game all the way up to the trade deadline in order for Granger to be traded this season. Otherwise, trading Granger could prove to be a major, major mistake.
    Trading George while his hype is still high makes some sense. But only if you're getting a player you think may be able to turn you into a legit contender. I think the hype on George is absurdly out of whack right now but you are better off keeping him and trading Granger unless the piece you get puts you over the top. If you trade Granger now, you're doing it only in the hope that it allows George's game to grow exponentially. I don't have a problem with this in a vacuum. If they feel that is the way to go, so be it. I personally don't see George ever having a better offensive game than Granger but we'll probably never find out while they're together. Truly, I would love to trade Granger because I don't see any potential for him to be a top-2 player on a championship team and at his price point, that's exactly what he has to be here. However, at this point, I've got to think that Granger's value is such that we're better off keeping him through this year at least. He'll have more value as an expiring contract than he does now as a player.

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Trading Granger makes sense, but not this season at least.

If PG grows anymore, there is no way he can stick at sg. Granger has been working on his handles every off season, and look how far he's come...not very. I think PG has a chance to have better handles than Granger, but he'll never be able to consistently get his own shot with dribble moves. I think you have to move him to SF eventually.

Again, I could see Granger getting moved, but only if it helps the team. However, who's going to give up someone really good for Granger? I'm not really seeing it. So while I can see Granger getting moved, I really believe he'll remain a Pacers. Hopefully, if he's retained after next season, he'll take a significant pay cut to stay with the Pacers.
    It's not like PG needs to develop a killer crossover, or moves of that nature. When you're as tall and as athletic as Paul, you need to be able to make a move and aggressively attack the basket. He definitely needs to tighten his dribbles (which means be more secure with the ball) but he doesn't need to have a lot of "moves" in order to be able to get to the basket easily. He simply needs to finish A LOT better once he gets there. That's what I'm more concerned with, not his dribbling skills

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    I actually wouldnt mind a HEALTHY EJ. I doubt we'd get him for just Granger, we'd have to through in a pick or Hansborough
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

It seems to me this author is simply taking a stab in the dark by connecting dots rather than having any actual inside information, contrary to what he says.

For one, this team already struggled to score points against a team like the Heat, so now we are going to trade one of our best scorers for frontcourt depth? I don't see it. The fact that Granger is stalling George's development is clearly overblown too. Paul George's handles and lack of strength are holding him back, not Granger.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

J7F

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I actually wouldnt mind a HEALTHY EJ. I doubt we'd get him for just Granger, we'd have to through in a pick or Hansborough
    Granger, Hansbrough, and a pick isn't getting us Eric Gordon.

George, Hansbrough, and a pick might.

-Lance Stephenson

25. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    The fact that Granger is stalling George's development is clearly overblown too. Paul George's handles and lack of strength are holding him back, not Granger.
    This is true in that sense that George's handles and lack of strength are holding him back. But put on the same floor as Granger and the issues are magnified. Because Granger's handles are nearly as bad. They're both catch and shoot guys. If we had an elite point guard, they'd probably be fine together.

Needless to say, we do not have an elite point guard.

So having two extremely poor ball handlers on the wings holds both of them back.

-Lance Stephenson

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    If we are underperforming and Gordon still looks healthy and unhappy about being a Hornet about half way through the season I could very much see this happening...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    If we are underperforming and Gordon still looks healthy and unhappy about being a Hornet about half way through the season I could very much see this happening...
    The only way this happens is if we are overperforming and Granger is a primary reason why.

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    What PF blossoms this year to make said trade? Does Marrese Speights make the jump. Is a trade up to get Cody Zeller happen? What player really is a step up from Ian and is not high enough to trade Danny for?
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

Sports Logo

Every year since his MIP year we have a blog guy who's saying "Granger will not be a Pacer next year"
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Granger, Hansbrough, and a pick isn't getting us Eric Gordon.

George, Hansbrough, and a pick might.
    JMO, I think that Danny, Augustin and a 2014 1st for EJ and Warrick would be good for the Hornets. They don't need Hansbrough or Warrick. West then could be dealt for a better pg then Augustin, like Calderon. West and Plumlee for Calderon and Davis.

Hibbert / Mahinmi
    Davis / Hans / Warrick
    George / Green / Warrick
    Gordon / Hill / Johnson
    Calderon / Hill / Stephenson

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    I dont see NJ going that route already having JJ and Wallace with no good b/u PF on the roster... Sure... Wallace has played admirably at the PF spot in the past but I doubt BKN would think that was ideal...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    I dont see NJ going that route already having JJ and Wallace with no good b/u PF on the roster... Sure... Wallace has played admirably at the PF spot in the past but I doubt BKN would think that was ideal...
    They took forever just getting a 1 year deal done with Hump, seems like they were content with what they have......or counting on Howard. Value wise though I think it is a good deal.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Y'all are gonna make me cry with this talk of Humphries for Granger.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post: